Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th May 2013, 12:09   #31

Default Re: Road updates around Dandeli / Uttara Kannada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Which is the car you would be driving? Can it take bad roads?
- If yes Gokarna-Dandeli you can try Gokarna-Ankola-Karwar-Kadra-Anshi-Joida-Dandeli
- This route goes through Anshi ghats with very thick forest cover. But roads are quite bad.
- If you dont want to take that option you can do : Dandeli-Yellapur-Bhagavathi-Haliyal-Dandeli.
- Now you also mention you starting from Gokarna you want to cover more places before you enter Goa. So in that case I would say, after you visit Gokarna, you can also take a day off in Yellapur at this place.
- You can visit places around Yellapur and then proceed to Dandeli.
- Dandeli to Panjim via a scenic route is : Dandeli-Ganeshgudi-Ramnagar-Ponda
@ampere:

Thanks for suggestions

We are driving with a Skoda Fabia- which may not be able to take very bad roads for too much distance... :( Althought it has very well taken about 15 kms of Kabini forest area where roads are non existant.....

Also, if we stay over at Yellapur, we can simply visit Dandeli and move on to Goa or would it be a good idea to stay there also?

Oh and the resorts sounds good.. will definitely check it out .. have you stayed there?
Neha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 13:44   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neha View Post
Also, if we stay over at Yellapur, we can simply visit Dandeli and move on to Goa or would it be a good idea to stay there also?
I would say it would be good to stay for a day in Dandeli.

Quote:
Oh and the resorts sounds good.. will definitely check it out .. have you stayed there?
I have not stayed there myself. Buts thats the only place out there. In my opinion it should be good for a day or two with modest expectations.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 12:48   #33
BHPian

Just did a drive through Dandeli and thought I will update the road conditions.

Belgaum - Khanapur: Fair condition. Some pot holes
Khanapur - Ram Nagar: Bad roads. Some sections are devoid of tarmac
Ram Nagar - Ganesh gudi - Dandeli: Excellent. Fresh Tarmac.
Dandeli - Karwar: Excellent. Fresh Tarmac
hsub is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 14:09   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
Ram Nagar - Ganesh gudi - Dandeli: Excellent. Fresh Tarmac.
Dandeli - Karwar: Excellent. Fresh Tarmac
Never thought this would happen. Joida-Kumbarwada-Anshi-Kadra bypass - Karwar was eternally in tatters! Great to hear this.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 19:06   #35

Hi,

I'm doing a roadtrip next week from
Mumbai > Hubbali > Jog Falls > Chikkamagaluru > Mudigere > Kadamane > Mangaluru > Karwar > Palolem (Goa) > Mumbai in a Skoda Rapid.

I had driven to Hampi via Hubbali last year in June. But this time it's a different route from Hubbali onwards.

Could anyone please give me an update on road conditions ahead of Hubbali? Also, please enlighten if there are any patches we need to avoid after sunset. Any off-the-beaten-track sights & local food joints that we could check out?

Thanx in advance.
sasmitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 19:47   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmitk View Post
Hi,

I'm doing a roadtrip next week from
Mumbai > Hubbali > Jog Falls > Chikkamagaluru > Mudigere > Kadamane > Mangaluru > Karwar > Palolem (Goa) > Mumbai in a [b]Skoda Rapid
Hubli-Jog: Hubli - Yellapur - Sirsi - Sagar - Jog : Good to decent roads. All 2-lane. Hubli-Yellapur is super NH63

Jog-Chikkamagulur: Jog - Sagar - Shimoga - Bhadra - Tarikere - Chikkamagulur

Good roads.
Chikkamagaluru > Mudigere : CKM - Mudigere : Good SH but narrow road. Sees lot of traffic

Mudigere > Kadamane > Mangaluru : Drive towards Sakleshpur for Kadamane. But average to poor road.

From Sakleshpur you may have to come back to Mudigere for Mangalore to take the Charmadi route.

Mangalore - Goa : Busy NH17
Old 18th July 2015, 22:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hubli-Jog: Hubli - Yellapur - Sirsi - Sagar - Jog : Good to decent roads. All 2-lane. Hubli-Yellapur is super NH63

Hi ampere,

Instead of going via Yellapur, you can do Hubli Sirsi via Mundgod. Excellent roads. Did it a couple of months back.

Rest of what you have laid out seems great.

Last edited by ampere : 11th August 2015 at 08:42. Reason: Removed bulk quoted post
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 23:14   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Hi ampere,
Instead of going via Yellapur, you can do Hubli Sirsi via Mundgod. Excellent roads. Did it a couple of months back.
Great-update! You mean: Tadas-Mundgod-Sirsi?

In that case, which exit to look out for? Is there a Sirsi sign board or its some thing else?

Last edited by ampere : 18th July 2015 at 23:36.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 23:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ampere,
Quote:
Great-update! You mean: Tadas-Mundgod-Sirsi?
In that case, which exit to look out for? Is there a Sirsi sign board or its some thing else?
@Ampere: Yup, thats the exact route I was talking about.

As you head towards Bengaluru from Hubli. Pass via Gabbur Cross and continue towards Bengaluru, look out for VRL head office (Varthur) and bus/lorry terminal on your right hand side. Continue on the same road untill you see a sign board that says "Kamat Vihar restaurant" 1 km. After this you will get a service road. Get into that, go underneath NH4 and it will take you straight to Tadas. There isn't a sign board that says sirsi but there is a small decrepit board that says Tadas.

So its the first service road after VRL's huge office (which comes on the right hand side).

Another alternative would be to take the NH63 all the way to Kalghatgi and then take the left which would get you back to Mundgod -> Pala -> Malgi -> Sirsi.

Hope it was helpful.

Last edited by ampere : 19th July 2015 at 10:32. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 18th July 2015, 23:39   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another alternative would be to take the NH63 all the way to Kalghatgi and then take the left which would get you back to Mundgod -> Pala -> Malgi -> Sirsi.
Surely helpful. But this is the exact reason, I generally dont suggest these roads. For us, its a fantastic option. Simply because, we know what to look for. But for some one who is looking just to reach an end point, by finding the roads at least effort; it may not work out.

What ever said and done, looks like roads around Hubli are improving!
Old 19th July 2015, 10:04   #41

Quote:

@Ampere: Yup, thats the exact route I was talking about.

As you head towards Bengaluru from Hubli. Pass via Gabbur Cross and continue towards Bengaluru, look out for VRL head office (Varthur) and bus/lorry terminal on your right hand side. Continue on the same road untill you see a sign board that says "Kamat Vihar restaurant" 1 km. After this you will get a service road. Get into that, go underneath NH4 and it will take you straight to Tadas. There isn't a sign board that says sirsi but there is a small decrepit board that says Tadas.

So its the first service road after VRL's huge office (which comes on the right hand side).

Hope it was helpful.
@drhoneycake This route that you've suggested, are all the signboards in Kannada only? I mean since, it's an internal route, I'll be relying heavily on Gmaps. If there isn't any connectivity, then obviously signboards would be my best buddies. The reason why I'd ask this is I'd be passing Hubbali around late evening, which means I'll be doing this route post sunset. Is it safe? Because I'd be having my missus along with me.

Thanks,

Last edited by ampere : 19th July 2015 at 10:33. Reason: Fixed quote tags
sasmitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 10:34   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@drhoneycake This route that you've suggested, are all the signboards in Kannada only? I mean since, it's an internal route, I'll be relying heavily on Gmaps. If there isn't any connectivity, then obviously signboards would be my best buddies. The reason why I'd ask this is I'd be passing Hubbali around late evening, which means I'll be doing this route post sunset. Is it safe? Because I'd be having my missus along with me.
Thanks,
If you plan to drive in these regions, late in the evening, I suggest you should stick to Hubli-Yellapur-Sirsi. That should be much better.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 15:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Quote:
If you plan to drive in these regions, late in the evening, I suggest you should stick to Hubli-Yellapur-Sirsi. That should be much better.

Hi,

The route is not that internal, certain NWKRTC buses take this route via Tadas from Sirsi to Hubli. Its quite a simple route, not many deviations/turns needed to touch mundgod and from Mundgod onwards, signages to Sirsi are very clear. From Sirsi, Jog Falls is well marked throughout.

The signboards are in English and Kannada. Although it is not that hard to miss this service road which comes right after VRL's massive headquarters, you may be at speed and miss it altogether if you're not quite familiar with this route.

Just like @Ampere sir suggested, better you stick to NH63 if you're arriving to Hubli late evening. NH63 has better road markings and signages.

Good luck, have a safe drive.

Last edited by drhoneycake : 19th July 2015 at 15:23.
Old 4th August 2015, 18:04   #44

Hey thanks for all the help. Just returned safely from the trip.
Covered 2445 kms altogether.

Special thanks to @ampere & @drhoneycake for their tips on which routes to take & the ones to avoid. And yes of course, to Google Maps, which has been of tremendous help where deciphering milestones in Kannada failed.

Also when Gmaps failed, it was going back to the good old days; asking the locals for directions. I did notice that people now understand Hindi better than 2 decades back when I had visited these parts of Karnataka. Of course, you can fall back on broken English, in case Hindi isn't understood.

But the people, they're exceptionally helpful & warm.

Coming to the condition of the roads. Almost all the roads were good, expect for a few patches on state highways & internal/rural roads.

There are a few patches on the NH17 outside Udupi-Maravanthe patch on the coast & Kolad-Nagothane patch in Maharashtra where road conditions are bad due to four-lane upgradation work.
sasmitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 08:29   #45
BHPian

HI all,

I,am planning to reach dandeli trip with my friends on 21,22 and 23.
Starting from Bangalore on 21st morning and trying to reach Bangalore by 23 Evening.
Which is better route to enjoy the drive and surroundings and what is the approximate travel time.

any references of good places for sightseeing in dandeli ?
navrddy is offline   Reply With Quote