Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th August 2015, 08:13   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Road updates around Dandeli / Uttara Kannada

Dear Bhp'ians,

I started from bangalore --> Tumkur--> Davangere --> Bankapur --> Mungod --> Yellapur --> Dandeli --> Kadu mane (homestay) (13 kms from dandeli) towards SUPA-Karwar road.

Start time at bangalore: 7.00 am
Breakfast: @ Tumkur (Kyatsandra) - Thate idli at Pavitra hotel (opposite lane - Service road).
Reached kadu mane homestay: ~5.00 PM (with Breaks of lunch for 1 hr. with self packed lunch).
Road condition: All throughout superb. But Single lane from bankapur --> Dandeli.
Reason for taking this route: Forest drive from mungod to Dandeli (awesome drive with all greenery with sparse traffic and superb road condition, but hardly we saw any vehicles).

Return Journey: Dandeli--> Haliyal --> Hubli bypass --> Bangalore.
Start time: 8.30 AM.
End time: 4.30 PM (with break of 30 mins).
Road condition: Dandeli --> Haliyal : Not Good, lots of potholes. But no scenery to enjoy the drive.One of the boring drives until now for me.
Pathetic: Very hard to connect End of haliyal road to NH 4(AH 47).
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 09:29   #47
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Return Journey: Dandeli--> Haliyal --> Hubli bypass --> Bangalore.
Instead, you could have done Dandeli-Yellapura-Hubli bypass-Davanagere-Tumkur-Bangalore, correct ? The Yellapura-Hubli bypass NH63 is 2 lane road but in great condition and is also the route to go towards Ankola-Karwar. Was there any particular reason you did not try this route ?
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 10:00   #48
BHPian

We thought, the fastest way to reach Bangalore from dandeli, Would be dandeli-->haliyal-->Hubli bypass-->nh4-->Bangalore.

Would not be going from dandeli to yellapur take more time...since roads are with turns and forest roads...
navrddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 10:13   #49
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would not be going from dandeli to yellapur take more time...since roads are with turns and forest roads...
I think the route would mean partly retracing the route you took in your onward journey to reach Yellapur and then continue on NH63 towards Hubli bypass and NH4 (instead of going via Mundgod-Bankapur to reach NH4 which was your onward route). Did I get that wrong ?
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 10:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We thought, the fastest way to reach Bangalore from dandeli, Would be dandeli-->haliyal-->Hubli bypass-->nh4-->Bangalore.

Yes. Dandeli-Haliyal-Hubli is a straightforward route. I think that's just an oversight by NPV
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 19:52   #51
BHPian

I recently did a Bangalore - Dandeli trip. Since I was travelling with family, I wanted a simple non-twisty route to Dandeli. So I took the standard Bangalore - Dharwad - Haliyal - Dandeli route.

Name:  20151011 19_54_31State Highway 46 Old Dandeli Dandeli Karnataka 581325 to State Highway 28 Ga.png
Views: 5440
Size:  84.6 KB

And I was not disappointed. The road is good throughout. There are few potholes though. But the bad road patches dont add up to more than a kilometer on the entire stretch of Dharwad-Dandeli. And I did take the shortcut to and from NH4, as recommended by many people on TBHP.

I have attached all the relevant videos for someone who wants to take this route. Note: the videos are for the return journey from Dandeli to Bangalore.

Haliyal Dandeli Road

Dharwad Haliyal Road

NH4 - Haliyal road shortcut
Name:  20151011 19_20_01Google Maps.png
Views: 1735
Size:  108.3 KB

Road updates around Dandeli / Uttara Kannada-20151011-19_17_17google-maps.png

Last edited by nileshch : 11th October 2015 at 19:55.
nileshch is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 08:43   #52
BHPian

Thanks for the useful information. Just want to know about the time it took to go from Bangalore to Dandeli and also can you pls mention about good hotels for food around Hubli/Dharwad bypass for lunch?
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 08:54   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Thanks for the useful information. Just want to know about the time it took to go from Bangalore to Dandeli and also can you pls mention about good hotels for food around Hubli/Dharwad bypass for lunch?
- Bangalore-Hubli is usual 4-lane for about 400km.
- You can easily cruise through that length in about 5.5 to 6 hours of drive time
- Please note Hubli-Darward bypass is a 2-lane road. No hotels on this bypass.
- For lunch, there is a Kamat before Hubli.
- The exit for Haliyal road from the bypass still remains as haphazard as ever. Dont understand why they cant make a proper exit for this SH.

Last edited by ampere : 13th October 2015 at 08:55.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 10:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
I took about 8 hours end-to-end for one way including a stop for breakfast. Left at 5:30 AM and reached Dandeli by 1:30PM. Coming back was a different story as there were heavy rains all along the way on Oct 4. Managed to reach home in 9.5 hours by taking a detour via Dabbaspete and Devanahalli, to Whitefield (NH4 was heavily crowded notwithstanding the poor visibility).

For eating spots, you have Naveen Regency in Chitradurga, a couple of options in Davanagere, a Kamat Upchar close to Ranebennur and, like @ampere mentioned, a Kamat Upchar just before Hubli (on the right when you come from Bangalore). These should suffice till you reach Dandeli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The exit for Haliyal road from the bypass still remains as haphazard as ever. Dont understand why they cant make a proper exit for this SH.
There is a way to get on to the SH through Dharwad though that's a long route! Agree they should have a proper exit but I guess that would mean some spending -- they would have to set up an exit toll booth at the spot.

Last edited by nileshch : 14th October 2015 at 10:53. Reason: added reply to @ampere
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 18:17   #55
BHPian

We just completed Bangalore - Dandeli - Karawar - Bangalore trip.

Onward journey : Bangalore --> NH4 till Hubli Bypass --> Haliyala deviation as indicated by Navrddy. From Haliyala --> Dandeli --> Kadumane homestay (on Joida road, about 15 KMs from Dandeli).

Details on Kadumane here : http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Karnataka.html

Road conditions are excellent, apart from that make-shift road from NH4 to join Haliyala road. Toll booth guys had been helpful and asked us to take this shortcut, as we wrongly went through a toll gate. We enjoyed the scenic road through Haliyala to Dandeli.

From Kadumane, we went to Devbagh resort. Dandeli --> Joida --> Karawar. Again the roads were good on this stretch.

Return journey from Karawar : Karawar --> Ankola --> Yellapura --> Mungod --> Shiggaon --> NH4 --> Haveri --> Davangere --> Tumkur --> Bangalore.

Road from Ankola to Yellapura is in bad condition in some stretch. You get big potholes all of a sudden and there are broken patches of road every now and then.

We avoided the Yellapura --> Hubli bypass road, and were not disappointed at all. The drive through Yellapura --> Mungod --> Shiggoan is really scenic and roads are super smooth too (and it is a shortcut to join NH4 too, compared to Hubli bypass). With hardly any traffic, it was a comfortable cruise in this stretch.

Update on food options : There is a new Kamat Upachar restaurant opened between Haveri and Ranebennur on NH4, about 15 KMs before Ranebennur (if you are coming from Haveri). So, you have a Kamat restaurant on both sides of NH4 near Ranebennur, about 20 KMs apart.
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 01:30   #56
BHPian

Is there any update on this route from Belgaum >> Khanapur >> Londa >> Ramnagar/Gharli >> Ganeshgudi?

I don't mind bypassing Belgaum and drive longer over this route ...
https://goo.gl/maps/af2S6heemuG2

Starting from Pune and night halt at Belgaum.
Please advise
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 12:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Night traffic ban in Anshi National Park

Quoting from the article :

Quote:
Anshi ban extends for a full 12 hours from 6 pm to 6 am
And includes the following sections :

Quote:
The ban would mean no vehicle movement at Potoli-Ulavi (35 km) (which sees around 100 vehicles pass in the night), Anmod-Hemmadaga (10 km stretch which is part of state highway 30 and witnesses more than 500 vehicles passing through it every night) and Bhagavati-Kulgi (17 km stretch where the frequency is more than 100 vehicles per night).
For more details, http://www.bangaloremirror.com/news/...w/50337414.cms
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 20:48   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't find any roads which will be frequented by tourists in list. However posting here for information.

Night ban of vehicles :

Name:  FB_IMG_1451478457812.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  73.7 KB
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016, 11:30   #59
BHPian

Hi..
What's the update on this? I was planning on a Bombay-Dharwad-Dandeli- Kumbarwada- Karwar- Kumta route.
Is that do-able? Does the forest drive require a permit of some sort? The idea is to just drive through and not stop anywhere inside.
Was planning for after Dec20. Also, according to what I'm planning will be crossing this stretch around 3pm.

Thanks.

Last edited by Shanmd : 5th December 2016 at 11:32.
Shanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016, 12:34   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Hi
What's the update on this? I was planning on a Bombay-Dharwad-Dandeli- Kumbarwada- Karwar- Kumta route.
- The roads via Anshi are good. Dandeli exit from NH4 Dharwad/Hubli bypass is not clean. You need to take a mud road and then get on to the Haliyal SH.
- The Anshi road meets Karwar near Sadashivgad just before the bridge on Kali.
- Once past Dandeli there is no good break point all the way till Karwar (May it be Joida/Kumbarwada/Kadra bypass)

Quote:
Is that do-able? Does the forest drive require a permit of some sort?
As far as I know, there is no permit required. Dont know if the equation has changed in recent times. I remember State Transport buses also ply on this section. But they are low on number.
However do note the prior post by Suhaas on night driving restrictions. (I understand idea is not to drive in night through these beautiful sections! )

Last edited by ampere : 5th December 2016 at 12:37.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote