Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th October 2016, 18:07   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Almost 5 years after starting this thread we were finally able to do a Bhutan trip. It was a 14 day trip along the following route -
Kolkata - Paro
Paro - Punakha via Thimpu
Punakha - Wangdi
Wangdi - Phobjika
Phobjika - Jakar (Bumthang)
Jakar - Ura - Lhuentse - Mongar
Mongar - Drametse - Trashiyangtse - Trashigang - Samdrup Jhonkar - Phuentsholing - Siliguri
Siliguri - Kolkata
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 08:56   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Almost 5 years after starting this thread we were finally able to do a Bhutan trip. It was a 14 day trip along the following route -

I am sure a t'log is in the Assembly Line

Does maps work in Bhutan? In Nepal, near the border, i.e. between Itahri and Bhimnagar, AirTel & BSNL used to work intermittently, but to my horror, Scorpio's maps went blank. You have to work through the old world hard copy maps?

I hope English or Hindi is understood in Bhutan.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 22:58   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am sure a t'log is in the Assembly Line

Does maps work in Bhutan? In Nepal, near the border, i.e. between Itahri and Bhimnagar, AirTel & BSNL used to work intermittently, but to my horror, Scorpio's maps went blank. You have to work through the old world hard copy maps?

I hope English or Hindi is understood in Bhutan.
TLog not started yet, planning for one :-D

I did not have data in my phone, so maps did not work. Offline map like Here map etc did not work properly. Locals said Google map works, could not check.
English is well understood in West Bhutan. In east Bhutan, had to use sign language in most cases, except at hotels.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:46   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody have any idea if self drive rental cars like Zoom/Myles etc can be taken to Bhutan?
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 17:43   #65

Folks planning for a road trip to Bhutan starting on 24th of July and returning on 05th of August. Please share your experience, road condition, security concerns and visa.

Car - Pajero
Route - Bangalore - Vizag - Konark - Puri - Kolkata (Sunderbans) - Siliguri - Paro - Thimpu - Bangalore.

Haven't decided on the return route but tips highly appreciated.
The Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 18:41   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enthusiast View Post
Folks planning for a road trip to Bhutan starting on 24th of July and returning on 05th of August. Please share your experience, road condition, security concerns and visa.

Car - Pajero
Route - Bangalore - Vizag - Konark - Puri - Kolkata (Sunderbans) - Siliguri - Paro - Thimpu - Bangalore.

Haven't decided on the return route but tips highly appreciated.
Indian nationals do not need visa to enter Bhutan, just voter card or passport would do. The details about the vehicle permits are given in several threads in Team-BHP.

I presume, you are aware of the risks of driving during the peak of monsoon through Bengal. If not, I would suggest you to postpone your road-trip by a month and half. An overnight heavy downpour can make even a decent stretch of road difficult to navigate. Besides, the possibilities of flood and landslides are very high during this time of the year.

Best,
gmhossain is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote