Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th December 2016, 17:09   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
So, I have finalized the itinerary and here is a snapshot of the same.
I am late to this thread, but a couple of sugesstions if i may?
  1. spend the night in Dwarka. Going to the main temple and Bet Dwarka in one morning is not recommended, even if just possible. Enjoy the place. Leave the next morning and drive straight to Vadodara.
  2. If you are not able to sight lions, you may want to go to the old lions home. Plan for some slack, therefore.
enjoy your trip
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 10:22   #122
BHPian

Quote:
spend the night in Dwarka. Going to the main temple and Bet Dwarka in one morning is not recommended, even if just possible.
Any specific reasons - logistics/ less time etc. ?

Quote:
Leave the next morning and drive straight to Vadodara.
Actually I intend to visit my relatives in Jamnagar after going to Dwarka, and then will head towards Vadodara next day.

Quote:
If you are not able to sight lions, you may want to go to the old lions home. Plan for some slack, therefore.
Sorry, what is the old lions home, didn't get that?
JoshMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 13:06   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Any specific reasons - logistics/ less time etc. ?
Bet Dwarka closes in the afternoon. Going there, visiting the temple and coming back would be at least a 3 hour trip.

Quote:
Sorry, what is the old lions home, didn't get that?
see this
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 15:07   #124
BHPian

Hi Guys

Iam planning to visit Rann of Kutch in next week. I have got couple of questions, any help would be appreciated.

a. Is the ferry service between Mandvi-dwarka still there.
b. For White ran, permission can I get in Bharandariya check post.
c. For India bridge, where should I get the permission.

Thanks,
dsnaveen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 23:59   #125
Senior - BHPian

Rann of Kutch update:

Those planning Rann of Kutch visit between 17 to 24 Jan 2017 be aware of stay restrictions due to some national meet at Kutch during that time.

I am not sure of any travel restrictions at that time and will post here if I get any update.

Just got a mail from Shaam E Sarhad resort I had booked mentioning that they are cancelling my booking due to the meet.

Incase your travel plans are during these dates, do check with your hotel regarding stay and any travel restrictions.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-screenshot_20161219210110384.jpeg

Gujarat road trip - Queries-screenshot_20161219210120489.jpeg
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 11:46   #126
Senior - BHPian

Update on above post

In short it will be only possible to vist around Lakpath area from Bhuj. Quiet idiotic move to conduct a tourist festiva (Rann Utsav) for two months and then block the entire area including festival for one week for tourists.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-_20161220_114442.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 20th December 2016 at 11:48.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 15:28   #127
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Bhuj - Hodka trip last month.

Few points for those planning trip to Bhuj / Hodka / Rann Utsav/ Dholavira-

15 Jan 2017

Ahmedabad ring SP ring road to Bhuj timing

Ringroad - 11:07 AM
Lunch break at at Honest hotel (Location) for one hour at 12:30 PM

Turn off from NH towards Bhuj just before Gandhidham 03:42 PM.

We took the Anjar route based on comments that this is the better route.

Tanked up from Reliance bunk between Anjar and Bhuj at 04:20 PM. Location

Bhirandiaria police checkpost turn off - 05:45 PM

Hodka Shaam E Sarhad resort - 06:00 PM

Was able to visit Vigakot border - Procedure for obtaining permits.

As per details I got before trip, permits has to be applied at BSF office in Bhuj and it may take anything from one day to one week for obtaining the same.

However, we were able to get the permits easily partly since its Rann Utsav time and partly since BSF guys were impressed on seeing that we drove all the way from Bangalore

- Handover photocopy of all passengers, DL & RC copies at Dhordo BSF office. This comes on the left side while going towards White Rann from Hodka. We did the same and we were quoted one day for obtaining the permits since commanding officer was not available at that time.
- Second option, drive to India bridge from there it is possible to drive till War memorial some 2 KMs further after entering vehicle and passenger details and handing over camera and mobile phones.
Once you reach India Bridge, try meeting the commanding officer and request for permission. Based on his call, you can proceed to the border. We were able to get permission without any hassle this way.

White Rann & Rann Ustav -

Rann Utsav shops were quoting very reasonable rates compared to other places. Not sure if it's due to demonetization or not.

Ludiya village which everyone was mentioning highly about had very pricey shops.

White Rann around Rann Utsav was dirty thanks to tourists who doesn't care.

Lakpath - Narayanasarovar - Mandvi -

Good roads from Bhuj to Lakpath
Langar at Gurudwara at Lakpath is the only available food option.

Narayanasarovar / Koteshwar - Lakpath route is bit bumpy. Nothing serious, but be careful of sudden cracks and dips.

Narayanasarovao - Mandvi - Road works in between, else good roads. However, Mandvi beach was bit of disappointment.

Dholavira
Chitord - Dholavira - Few sections had bumpy roads, else nothing to worry about. Budget around 2 hours to reach Dholavira from NH turn off.

Dholavira has couple of restaurants, however we were served lunch from house of guide Jai Maal.

Stay -
Hodka - Shaam E Sarhad - Do opt for Bhungas, tents are bit too basic and very cold in night.
Bhuj - Grand 3D - Great rooms, good restaurant and safe parking. Highly recommended.
Ahmedabad & Vapi - Ginger hotels - Standard Ginger options. Safe parking clean rooms. Vapi one is next to highway and a good option.

Travelogue coming up soon.
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 20:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did Bangalore - Bhuj - Hodka trip last month.

Few points for those planning trip to Bhuj / Hodka / Rann Utsav/ Dholavira-

15 Jan 2017

Nice summary!! Waiting for your travelogue. We were there in Dec 2015.

Few other things to note.

a) The parking place and the white sands at Rann is quite a walk. Make sure you cover well with a hat.

b) Yes, the stalls have nice stuff at very reasonable price.

c) Mandvi is a lovely beach. Sunset is beautiful.

d) Hodka is the best place to stay and get actual Kutch experience. Plan in advance and book in advance. Difficult to get if not booked in advance.

e) Go for a walking tour of Bhuj town around Prag Mahal.

f) Also check out Rogan art in Nirona village. It is amazing. Check more here http://www.thebetterindia.com/60969/...-obama-nirona/
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 21:55   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Opening anytime soon, the Bridge to ease the travel woes between Mumbai - Ahmedabad. Bridge on Narmada between Ankleshwar and Bharuch cities on NH8:
Gujarat road trip - Queries-img20170206wa0125.jpg

Name:  IMG20170203WA0019.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  54.4 KB

Source: WhatsApp

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th February 2017 at 21:58.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 09:18   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a very good news. Not only will it ease the traffic on the highway, but it will also reduce the load on the British era-Bridge over the river Narmada inside the town. It looks beautiful too
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 13:53   #131

Default Kutch Trip in last week of February, 2017

Hi All, I am planning for a family road trip to Kutch in the last week of February starting from 25th Feb including my wife and a four year old daughter in Hyundai Creta. This is what i have in my mind right now :-

Day-1 Home to Ujjain,
Day-2 Ujjain-Badnawar-Petlawad-Meghnagar-Jhabua-Ahmedabad-Mehsana,
Day-3 Mehsana-Patan-Rapar (just to see whether the accommodation available there suits my need)-Bhuj,
Day-4 Local sightseeing of Aaina Mahal, Prag Mahal, Chatardi, Swaminarayan Temple, etc,
Day-5 Bhuj-India Bridge-Kala Dungar(Optional)-Dhordo-Bhuj,
Day-6 Bhuj-Nakhratna-Mata No Madh-Lakhpat-Koteshwar-Pingleshwar-Mandvi-Bhuj,
Day-7 Bhuj-Dholavira-Abu Road,
Day-8 Abu Road-Udaipur-Kota-Jhansi,
Day-9 From Jhansi back to home.

Now calling experts feedback on this itinerary, is it ok or shall I make some changes? I need some suggestions for decent places to stay (not very expensive though) at Mehsana, Bhuj and Abu road? Also, is Bhuj-Dholavira-Abu Road doable in around 10 hours? Suggestions for good places to eat would also be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
justintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 16:51   #132
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kutch Trip in last week of February, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
Day-1 Home to Ujjain,
Day-2 Ujjain-Badnawar-Petlawad-Meghnagar-Jhabua-Ahmedabad-Mehsana,
Day-3 Mehsana-Patan-Rapar (just to see whether the accommodation available there suits my need)-Bhuj,
Day-4 Local sightseeing of Aaina Mahal, Prag Mahal, Chatardi, Swaminarayan Temple, etc,
Day-5 Bhuj-India Bridge-Kala Dungar(Optional)-Dhordo-Bhuj,
Day-6 Bhuj-Nakhratna-Mata No Madh-Lakhpat-Koteshwar-Pingleshwar-Mandvi-Bhuj,
Day-7 Bhuj-Dholavira-Abu Road,
Day-8 Abu Road-Udaipur-Kota-Jhansi,
Day-9 From Jhansi back to home.
Day 3: If you are planning of going till Rapar just to see places of stay, you can avoid it. Based on a friend of mine who stayed in Rapar with family in Dec end. It is best to avoid stay there since all are smaller lodge type ones.
I am seeing that you have kept Dholavira for another day, so you may be backtracking the route too.

Bhuj stay- You can try out Grand 3D. They charge ~ 3K for double bed room including breakfast.

Bhuj - Dholavira - Abu road - I dont think will work out in 10 hours.
Bhuj - Dholavira : ~4.5 hours.
Dholavira sightseeing ~ 2 hours (Excluding white rann visit if you are planning)
Dholavira- Chitord : ~2 hours. To this you need to add stoppages for food and another ~300 KM from Chitord to Abu road.

You can find updates at Gujarat road trip thread (Gujarat road trip - Queries).

I had done part of this route last month, you can check my travelogue for details (Wanderlust Traveller: Bangalore to the western frontier - White Rann, Vigakot, Lakhpat & Dholavira).
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 19:19   #133

Thanks for the answer. Why go all the way till Chitrod for Abu Road when there is a direct road from Rapar?
justintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 20:42   #134
BHPian

Did Delhi-Ahmedabad-Rajkot-Ahmedabad-Delhi in 5 days covering 2,300 kms. Gujarat is already hot, MID showed 43 deg celsius when I was in Rajkot.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-img_5943.jpg

Here is the trip summary:

Gujarat road trip - Queries-rajkot-trip.jpg
sinharishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 15:01   #135
BHPian

As always - need guidance with planning a gujarat trip. (want to do dwaraka/somnath and other places in between mainly of religious significance)
(Apologies for cross-posting in the other dwaraka - somnath route thread; the query seems more appropriate here)

This trip is with parents, wife and two kids.

I am planning on taking a flight to Ahmedabad and starting the trip from there. The intent is to cover dwaraka/somnath/beaches if any and any other places in between. (Like balkha tirtha, muchukunda caves, jambavan caves, rukmini temple etc)

Can you suggest how many days we need for a trip like this? Once we work out a schedule ill start booking flight tickets, and i plan to do this last week of september. (dates are open sep 21 onwards)

Would self-driven cars be a better choice vs hiring taxis for the trip duration? Some of the travelogues suggest that doing it via dwaraka -porbandar - somnath is a better option than the other way round. Does the recommendation still stand?

thanks for the help!!
Gak
avasekeh is offline   Reply With Quote