Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th November 2011, 18:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Maldives Bound, Need to Spend The Night in Bangalore...Where?

Hi Guys. The wife and me are off to Maldives from the 27th of November to the 1st of December. The flight is on the 27th morning so i have to ideally arrive in Bangalore the evening/night before. My travel details are as follows;

SERVICE FROM TO DEPART ARRIVE

AI 265
SUN 27NOV BENGALURU IN MALE MV 1030 1200
BENGALURU INTL IBRAHIM NASIR INTL

NON STOP DURATION
2:00

I have been to Bangalore just once before so i have no idea at all about its demographics. I am told the airport is at least 1 hour away from any place. I will be ideally landing later in the evening and need to check out in the morning so i need the following advice

1) A good hotel, clean and inexpensive as its only for staying the night. Its imperitive that its really really close to the Airport as i have no intention to travel further. What would my options be?

2) I suppose the international and domestic airports would be separate, so in that case need the hotel to be close to the international airport, obviously. I suppose i will arrive at one (domestic) terminal and i have to take off from another (international) terminal. How far are these from each other?

3) Are there any chain hotels like the Raddison etc, close to the Bangalore airport as these chains are essentially located all over the world close to the airport?

4) Is there a transit hotel in the Airport itself like Delhi?

5) What can i visit which is close to the airport..say a cinema or a restaurant etc, just in case my flight is not too late at night. How far is it to these places?

6) Is there a easy to use Taxi system if i have to go somewhere from the airport like Bombay has or would you guys recommend something else?

Now i need information about Maldives as ive never been there too. I'm staying at the W resort and Spa. What is there to do In Maldives besides the Hotel? Any tips will be welcome.

Thanks and looking forward to major advice.....in anticipation.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 18:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Maldives Bound, Need to Spend The Night in Bangalore...Where?

Gogi, my comments are in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
1) A good hotel, clean and inexpensive as its only for staying the night. Its imperitive that its really really close to the Airport as i have no intention to travel further. What would my options be?

Few I'm placing here. Bangalore members can help you more on this. These are the closest from airport and you won't face any problem next morning to come back too.

Clarks Exotica Airport Hotel (Bangalore, India) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Royal Orchid Resort & Convention Centre Bengaluru / Bangalore India - Best discount hotel rates

2) I suppose the international and domestic airports would be separate, so in that case need the hotel to be close to the international airport, obviously. I suppose i will arrive at one (domestic) terminal and i have to take off from another (international) terminal. How far are these from each other?

No, it's not separate. It's one terminal.

3) Are there any chain hotels like the Raddison etc, close to the Bangalore airport as these chains are essentially located all over the world close to the airport?

I've given two links above.

4) Is there a transit hotel in the Airport itself like Delhi?

Not as yet.

5) What can i visit which is close to the airport..say a cinema or a restaurant etc, just in case my flight is not too late at night. How far is it to these places?

Just forget the idea. Relax in your hotel room. You can surely manage one night without any excitement.

6) Is there a easy to use Taxi system if i have to go somewhere from the airport like Bombay has or would you guys recommend something else?

Metered pre-paid AC taxi from airport. The best you can expect in this country. No other city in India is as streamlined as this service.

Now i need information about Maldives as ive never been there too. I'm staying at the W resort and Spa. What is there to do In Maldives besides the Hotel? Any tips will be welcome.

Haven't been there too. So please excuse.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 19:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate the quick feedback Rudra. Ok Bangy Guys, where art thou??
Old 12th November 2011, 19:25   #4
BHPian

Thanks and looking forward to major advice.....in anticipation.[/quote]

hi
was in Maldives a couple of weeks back
we stayed 5D/4N
you will be on a resort which takes up the whole island
Accomodation: there are beach facing cottages & Water bungalows, on the sea
those are really awsome, try staying there
Food: lavish buffets are the rule
if ur plan doesnt include lunch try the sea food, its grt
Activities: water sports, jet ski, para sailing etc if ur the type
cocktail cruise , chasing dolphins
night & day fishing if it turns you on
submarine cruise, to see coral reef $100, worth it
scuba diving
lazing on the beach ( free)
Can't take in alcohol thru customs- islamic country
all resorts have plenty of booze, tourist rip off
The place is great, on my list of 100 places to see before you die
have fun!
amar
PS : will upload some pics monday
maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 19:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great Maverick56. U stayed at the W too? the rooms et all have been done. My plan includes only breakfast. Plan on taking diving lessons.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th November 2011 at 19:50.
Old 12th November 2011, 21:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
What is there to do In Maldives besides the Hotel? Any tips will be welcome.
The system for tourism in Maldives is quite different. Each resort is built on a separate island. When you land at Male, the entry point and the capital of Maldives, you will be greeted by representatives of the resort where you have the booking. From that point onwards, these guys take charge of you. In all probability you will be taken on a seaplane to your resort. Some other close-by resorts to the airport usually transport you on speedboats.

Your itinerary is fixed by the resort. One of the days they may take you to an inhabited island where they give you a conducted tour. As mentioned earlier, the locals live separately on islands nearby resorts.

The submarine tour is at Male itself. It is worth spending money on this 70 meter dive.

The resort may include a tour of Male itself. The capital is very crowded but very beautiful.

The dutyfree shop at the airport sells genuine liquor. The price is cheaper than what you get at, say, Colombo international airport. You can buy them on your way out of the country. Another worthwhile shopping item is perfumes. You get quality perfumes in Male as well as at the airport. There are several shops on Majeedhee Magu. (Magu means road).

One thing we need to learn from them is the hospitality they extend to guests.I am sure you will have a pleasant time in Maldives.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 21:49   #7
BHPian

Quoting from a travelog i wrote

"In Maldives each island is usually rented to a resort and the island is the resort and the resort is the island. You eat, swim, snorkel, sleep, walk there. The Vivanta is on a very small island and one can easily walk around it in 20 mins, there are larger islands where you may need a gold cart to go from one end to the other. Other things to do out of the resort is to go diving off a boat , or on a tour on a boat to an island which has a regular Maldivian village. If you really really want to, you could go to Male the capital, but it is really really small with nothing really to do and a resort can charge upwards of 100 USD for a boat transfer there, so it really really does not make sense."

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ves-essay.html (Family Vacation In Maldives - An Essay)

And as i re-read the travelog, I have a big smile on my face.

Last edited by genesis : 12th November 2011 at 22:00.
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 22:17   #8
BHPian

nope,
was at paradise island resort, 20mins by boat from male
W seems luxurious in comparison.....we were slumming!
pics coming up tomorrow
amar
maverick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 22:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

You're flying from Mumbai right? There are enough and more flights connecting Mumbai to Bangalore- why don't you just catch the first flight out of Mumbai and connect directly to the Maldives flight? Bangalore International airport is quite organised and you should be able to manage this quite easily.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 23:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick56 View Post
nope,
was at paradise island resort, 20mins by boat from male
W seems luxurious in comparison.....we were slumming!
pics coming up tomorrow
amar

We have a seaplane transfer to the W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You're flying from Mumbai right? There are enough and more flights connecting Mumbai to Bangalore- why don't you just catch the first flight out of Mumbai and connect directly to the Maldives flight? Bangalore International airport is quite organised and you should be able to manage this quite easily.
Well i have a flight from Bangalore @ 10:30 am so will try and see what options i have of an early morning flight. Else will like to stay in Bangalore the previous night, just so that if theres any problem on the morning flight, i dont have to miss this one.

Thanks everyone who is taking the time to post here. Keep it coming guys. Still need hotel options.
Old 13th November 2011, 23:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Gogi go with Rudra's suggestion. These are the closest to airport, if you get into city it will be a long commute back for you. I would suggest the latter only if you arrive in BLR in the afternoon.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 00:04   #12
Team-BHP Support

Both the hotels that Rudra mentioned are the best and are less than 15mins drive from airport.

The airport is way out of town and there's literally not much to even eat around the area forget cinema. No sightseeing as well.

Those 2 are the only decent options to stay.

Both of these hotels will have airport drop facility if not you can use meru but they may not agree as distance is not much.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th November 2011 at 00:06.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 09:28   #13
BHPian

here are the pics
Paradise Island Resort from the plane
Male skyline
Beach cottages
Water bungalows
Reef facing diner
Blue sea an white sands
the Submarine
coral reef at 80mts
Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2011 at 15:27. Reason: Removing last picture. Only eye-candy permitted here is the automotive kind :)
maverick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 09:51   #14
BHPian

Hi Maverick,

Try and take a hotel close to the airport and probably in case you want to do a quick trip to the city , take a cab and try and visit the shopping zones (MG Road, Brigade road). But again this depends on the time you have on hand. Else stick on the hotel, have a great sleep and get ready for an awesome trip.
Meanwhile,am also planning for a trip to Maldives.Will wait for your updates and plan one
aravind84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 10:23   #15
Team-BHP Support

^^ If he reaches the airport the previous evening, getting into the city will take about 2 hours and there may not be much energy left for shopping and anything else after that. And remember Bangalore famed "nightlife" ends at 11 sharp. So my suggestion is book a nice hotel by the airport, avail of their pick up/drop facility and chill in the pool or spa of the hotel and get a good night's sleep!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote