Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th November 2011, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Default Driving the southern U coastline, need inputs

Hi,
I am planning a drive of our southern coastline sometime in december. The plan is to go from Bangalore-Kanyakumari-Pondicherry-Bangalore all done hugging the coast as far as possible.

I did one such solo trip last year going Bangalore-Hampi-Pattadkal-Gokarna-Mangalore-Bangalore totaling 1500kms in 5 days and it was great.

Need your inputs on the roads, route and places to visit, stay etc for the great southern drive. I am planning for total of 5-6 days and it would be just me or possibly another friend.

Please help me plan an itinerary because I have not gone this far south before.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 14:11   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Driving the southern U coastline, need inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,
Need your inputs on the roads, route and places to visit, stay etc for the great southern drive. .
Hi,

To start off i guess the roads all the way till Kanyakumari should be part of the GQ roads and it would be good. I havent covered this space recently. The way out of Banglore through Hosur and till Salem is a breeze.

Places to Visit -
Salem Namakkal - Hanuman Temple
Kanyakumari - Sunset , Vivekananda House and the Tiruvalluvar Statue
Pondicherry - Ashram , Auroville, Beach, Casablanca (Shopping)

I would let the experts get you the itenary .
aravind84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 15:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I am planning a drive of our southern coastline sometime in december. The plan is to go from Bangalore-Kanyakumari-Pondicherry-Bangalore all done hugging the coast as far as possible..
Zaks, good to hear that more and more people are doing this route . I am doing a similar & bit longer trip christined as SICTT - South India Coastal Triangle Trip (Bangalore-Mangalore-Cochin-Trivandrum-Dhanushkodi-Pondy-Chennai-Bangalore) at the end of dec and here is my thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-5-7-days.html (SICTT - South India Coastal Triangle Trip, 2150+ kms, 5 to 7 days!!)) seeking route suggestions. You have lot of responses including hvk's. Pls. go through the same and I have gatherd lot of other details as well and message me for any more details.
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 15:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can check out the log book and photos of my Coast 2 Cape 2 Coast drive in Dec 2005, when I covered 12,000 kms in 15 days along the Indian coastline covering all coastal States - MH, GJ, WB, OR, AP, TN, PY, KL & GA.

The brief summary of the trip read as follows:
Bombay-Surat-Vadodara-Dwaraka-Jamnagar-Mandvi-Koteswar-Ahmedabad-Indore-Bhopal-Jabalpur-Amarkantak-Ranchi-Dhanbad-Calcutta-Bhubaneswar-Puri-Chilka Lake-Vizag-Kakinada-Machilapatnam-Vijayawada-Nellore-Madras-Pondicherry-Nagapattinam-Kodikarai-Rameswaram-Tuticorin-Kanyakumari-Trivandrum-Kochi-Calicut-Mangalore-Udupi-Karwar-Goa-Malwan-Ratnagiri-Harihareswar-Bombay

Here is the link to the LOg Book & Photo Album:
https://sites.google.com/site/hvkuma...2cape2coast%2C
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 15:41   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

With Sabari mala devotee season in full swing expect lot's of traffic in KL roads.
With that, the good South Indian Coast to Coast would be to drive off to Mangalore - take the NH17 and then NH47 all the way down to KK. From KK it would be good to take the coastal route through Tiruchendur, Tuticorin, Ramanathapuram (detour to Rameshwaram optional), Thondi, Nagapattinam, Chidambaram, Cuddalore, Pondicherry, Chennai and Bangalore.
In case you wish to avoid KL, then you can do NH7 from Bangalore to KK on day one and leisurely do the TN coastal stretch till chennai before returning to Bangalore.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 16:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please help me plan an itinerary because I have not gone this far south before.
Since you plan to start from Bangalore and you mention KK-Pondicherry,
do you want to cover the TN side of coastline and return to Bangalore from Chennai via golden quadrilateral?

If that is the plan, then I remember HVK saying, road conditions wise, east coast road (ECR) is very good, but for minimal options for food/toilets etc.

So summar looks like:
Bangalore-KK (NH7)
KK-Tiruchendur-Ramnad-Rameshwaram (ECR)
Rameswharam-Ramnad-Thondi-Nagapattanam/Velankanni (ECR)
Nagapattanam-Karaikal-Tranquebaar-Sirkazi-Chidambaram (ECR)
Chidambaram-Cuddalore-Pondicherry (ECR)
Pondicherry-Mahabalaburam-Chennai (ECR)
Chennai-BLR (NH4/NH46/NH7)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 10:53   #7
BHPian

Wow, lots of posts since last night, thank you guys.

HVK, I will certainly go through your route.

Here is the tentative route map roughly plotted in gmap, its coming to nearly 1800kms-

Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to National Highway 7 - Google Maps
Old 16th November 2011, 10:58   #8
BHPian

Attaching the pic to mark the extremities-
Attached Images
File Type: bmp south_drive.bmp (992.7 KB, 234 views)
Old 16th November 2011, 10:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, lots of posts since last night, thank you guys.

HVK, I will certainly go through your route.

Here is the tentative route map roughly plotted in gmap, its coming to nearly 1800kms-

Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to National Highway 7 - Google Maps
I would suggest you add Kodikarai (Point Calimere) south of Nagapattinam, Rameswaram/Dhanushkodi and also travel on the ECR between Tuticorin & KK via Tiruchendur.

In Kerala, off NH47, I would suggest you visit Varkala-Paravur for some beautiful backwater views.

In Kochi, go into Ernakulam, and take the new roads via Vypin, Vallarpadom to Paravur instead of going on NH47 bypass.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Thanks HVK, will add those too to the map. Is this doable in 5-6 days with driving only in the day time, single driver? I prefer starting early morning and driving until 5pm with generous breaks.
The dates are not yet fixed but will probably be in the last week of Dec.

Now I need to break up the itinerary to 5/6 stretches for the corresponding days and select halt locations.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK, will add those too to the map. Is this doable in 5-6 days with driving only in the day time, single driver? I prefer starting early morning and driving until 5pm with generous breaks.
The dates are not yet fixed but will probably be in the last week of Dec.

Now I need to break up the itinerary to 5/6 stretches for the corresponding days and select halt locations.
Easily doable in 5-6 days, except that you must plan your breaks carefully and ensure that you do not spent more than 1-2 hours in any one location. e.g. I would reach KK by evening sunset time and leave early morning on sunrise. Driving Kerala by day time can be very irritating and difficult, hence adjust your time schedules appropriately.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote