Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 20:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,284
Thanked: 1,651 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Hi,
Bagodar - H'Bagh will be ~ 40 Km less than Barhi H'Bagh. No security issues.
Suggest you use one of these routes to go to Jamshedpur. Then make local enquiries for return journey.

Via Kharagpur/ Bohoragora, very bad road in patches, jams at Chichira, possibility of sudden bandhs in Jhargram/ Lodhasuli area. If you use this road, definitely do it in broad daylight.

The police convoy had become a money making endeavor. Because the escort was only upto the border.

Regards
Sutripta

PS Just saw above post. If you search for Koderma, you are going to get lost. At Barhi (NH2), you turn North for Koderma, South for H'Bagh. Koderma is the railhead for H'Bagh.

Last edited by Sutripta : 1st December 2011 at 20:34.
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 13:30   #17
BHPian
 
snkjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Pear
Posts: 101
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Searching for route info on Google maps for driving from Kolkata to Ranchi shows up three suggested routes.

Please see the following link for the routes that Google maps suggests.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Could knowledgeable people please let me know which of these three routes is the better option? Please cite the reasons for your choice.

Just to make it clear, I will be driving during daylight so night-time security isn't an issue in my specific case.

My concerns: -

1. NH6 and NH33 -> I have heard the roads are terrible, plus there is some "official" looting going on at the toll booths.

2. SH2 -> I have heard that the roads are bad and deserted.

3. Kanpur City Bypass / AH1 / NH2 and NH23 -> I want to avoid Dhanbad + Bokaro as the traffic is crazy. Had a horrific experience recently.

Thanks.

Last edited by snkjr : 15th May 2013 at 13:30. Reason: added gmaps link
snkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 13:00   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
Searching for route info on Google maps for driving from Kolkata to Ranchi shows up three suggested routes.

Please see the following link for the routes that Google maps suggests.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Could knowledgeable people please let me know which of these three routes is the better option? Please cite the reasons for your choice.

Just to make it clear, I will be driving during daylight so night-time security isn't an issue in my specific case.

My concerns: -

1. NH6 and NH33 -> I have heard the roads are terrible, plus there is some "official" looting going on at the toll booths.

2. SH2 -> I have heard that the roads are bad and deserted.

3. Kanpur City Bypass / AH1 / NH2 and NH23 -> I want to avoid Dhanbad + Bokaro as the traffic is crazy. Had a horrific experience recently.

Thanks.
I would avoid Route 1 totally.

I would prefer Route 3 via Bardahaman, Durgapur, Asansol, Gobindpur, Dhanbad, Chas & Ramgarh. Traffic will be less if you leave in the morning from Calcutta (~6 am) & barring the jams at Panagarh Bazaar and Dhanbad city, rest should be fine.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 21:07   #19
BHPian
 
A.G.The Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 112
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
Searching for route info on Google maps for driving from Kolkata to Ranchi shows up three suggested routes.

Please see the following link for the routes that Google maps suggests.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Could knowledgeable people please let me know which of these three routes is the better option? Please cite the reasons for your choice.

Just to make it clear, I will be driving during daylight so night-time security isn't an issue in my specific case.

My concerns: -

1. NH6 and NH33 -> I have heard the roads are terrible, plus there is some "official" looting going on at the toll booths.

2. SH2 -> I have heard that the roads are bad and deserted.

3. Kanpur City Bypass / AH1 / NH2 and NH23 -> I want to avoid Dhanbad + Bokaro as the traffic is crazy. Had a horrific experience recently.

Thanks.

You can also take this route. I did this 6 months back.

http://goo.gl/maps/xDVgd

Kolkata-Bagodar-Hazaribagh-Ranchi. Apart from a little bit of rough patch exiting NH2 into NH100, the rest should be fine. Do not go for your 1st option, Lodhasuli onwards till Jamshedpur is very very poor, however, Jamshedpur onwards till Ranchi in better these days.

Last edited by A.G.The Rambler : 16th May 2013 at 21:24.
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 21:36   #20
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Route 1 is a strict no no. Right after Kharagpur from Lodhasuli forest there are large craters which trucks even avoid and once you enter Jharkhand that will be the end of your car. Instead you can take the route Anish suggested or even go up to Barhi on NH2 and then turn left on NH33 which is 4 laned most of the way till Ranchi.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 10:43   #21
BHPian
 
snkjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Pear
Posts: 101
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would avoid Route 1 totally.

I would prefer Route 3 via Bardahaman, Durgapur, Asansol, Gobindpur, Dhanbad, Chas & Ramgarh. Traffic will be less if you leave in the morning from Calcutta (~6 am) & barring the jams at Panagarh Bazaar and Dhanbad city, rest should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
You can also take this route. I did this 6 months back.

http://goo.gl/maps/xDVgd

Kolkata-Bagodar-Hazaribagh-Ranchi. Apart from a little bit of rough patch exiting NH2 into NH100, the rest should be fine. Do not go for your 1st option, Lodhasuli onwards till Jamshedpur is very very poor, however, Jamshedpur onwards till Ranchi in better these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Route 1 is a strict no no. Right after Kharagpur from Lodhasuli forest there are large craters which trucks even avoid and once you enter Jharkhand that will be the end of your car. Instead you can take the route Anish suggested or even go up to Barhi on NH2 and then turn left on NH33 which is 4 laned most of the way till Ranchi.
Thanks for your help. As it happens, my car is still undergoing repair as a part needs to be replaced and, as it often the case, it is not in stock. I will now be making the trip sometime next week (hopefully).

I will most likely do what A.G.The Rambler is suggesting, though I confess I have never done that route before.

@A.G.The Rambler, how much time did it take you to do this route?

Last edited by snkjr : 18th May 2013 at 10:47.
snkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 13:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,829 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
Searching for route info on Google maps for driving from Kolkata to Ranchi shows up three suggested routes.

Please see the following link for the routes that Google maps suggests.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Could knowledgeable people please let me know which of these three routes is the better option? Please cite the reasons for your choice.

Just to make it clear, I will be driving during daylight so night-time security isn't an issue in my specific case.

My concerns: -

1. NH6 and NH33 -> I have heard the roads are terrible, plus there is some "official" looting going on at the toll booths.

2. SH2 -> I have heard that the roads are bad and deserted.

3. Kanpur City Bypass / AH1 / NH2 and NH23 -> I want to avoid Dhanbad + Bokaro as the traffic is crazy. Had a horrific experience recently.

Thanks.
Take NH2 from Kolkata, through Panagarh come upto Govindpur and take a left for Dhanbad. Continue to bokaro, ramgarh and Ranchi. This is the best route as sugested by HV Kumar sir too and mostly followed. The only bottlenecks would be the jams at panagarh and Dhanbad city. Reserve one hour for exiting Dhanbad city once you enter. Bokaro isn't as bad as Dhanbad.

If you want to really avoid Dhanbad, then don't take the left at govindpur and continue straight upto Barhi. Take left from Barhi and you are on NH33 is which now fantastic 4 lane, in fact better than NH2 Thoug longer but I don't thingk you will lose much time if you come by this route. Barhi to Ranchi is 135 kms and roads are excellent and of course Kolkata> Panagarh> Gobindpur> Barhi is NH2. Security is no issue on this route, day or night. However, if you decide to take the Dhanbad> Bokaro> Ramgarh> then NH33 then you may like to avoid the Dhanbad> Bokaro> Ramgarh section at night. NH33 is no problem.

Some Imp. Distances in the Region:

Darjeeling More > Govindpur - 110 Kms.
Govindpur > Dhanbad- ~ 15Kms.
Dhanbad > Ranchi - 180 Kms
Bokaro > Ranchi - 120 Kms.
Ramgarh > Ranchi- 45 Kms

Alt Route:
Gobindpur > Barhi - 125 Kms
Barhi > Ranchi- 135 Kms

Hence, from gobindpur to Ranchi via Dhanbad, Bokaro would be ~ 190 Kms
And Gobindpur > Barhi> Ranchi would be about 260 Kms but all 4 laned.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 18th May 2013 at 13:48. Reason: Alt. Route Info
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 14:01   #23
BHPian
 
A.G.The Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 112
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
@A.G.The Rambler, how much time did it take you to do this route?
It took us 10 -11 hours from Ranchi to Kolkata. From Ranchi we drove via Ranchi-Patratu-Ramgarh-Hazaribagh-Bagodar-Kolkata. We spent around 20 minutes in Patratu to enjoy its beauty.

We were driving directly from Betla to Kolkata that day. You can have a look in this TL :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...jharkhand.html (Rambling inside the forests of Jharkhand)

Though i am yet to update the last day's events, would complete soon.
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 15:05   #24
BHPian
 
Babuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 102
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If you want to really avoid Dhanbad, then don't take the left at govindpur and continue straight upto Barhi. Take left from Barhi and you are on NH33 is which now fantastic 4 lane, in fact better than NH2 Thoug longer but I don't thingk you will lose much time if you come by this route. Barhi to Ranchi is 135 kms and roads are excellent and of course Kolkata> Panagarh> Gobindpur> Barhi is NH2. Security is no issue on this route, day or night. However, if you decide to take the Dhanbad> Bokaro> Ramgarh> then NH33 then you may like to avoid the Dhanbad> Bokaro> Ramgarh section at night. NH33 is no problem.

Some Imp. Distances in the Region:

Darjeeling More > Govindpur - 110 Kms.
Govindpur > Dhanbad- ~ 15Kms.
Dhanbad > Ranchi - 180 Kms
Bokaro > Ranchi - 120 Kms.
Ramgarh > Ranchi- 45 Kms

Alt Route:
Gobindpur > Barhi - 125 Kms
Barhi > Ranchi- 135 Kms

Hence, from gobindpur to Ranchi via Dhanbad, Bokaro would be ~ 190 Kms
And Gobindpur > Barhi> Ranchi would be about 260 Kms but all 4 laned.

Regards,
Saket
We'll be travelling from Kolkata to Ranchi on the 2nd of January and the route via Barhi, though longer, looks good to me - will be grateful for updates from someone who has made a similar trip recently.
Babuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 15:23   #25
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,839
Thanked: 6,337 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
We'll be travelling from Kolkata to Ranchi on the 2nd of January and the route via Barhi, though longer, looks good to me - will be grateful for updates from someone who has made a similar trip recently.
You are absolutely right. However you may bypass Barhi and take the Bagodar-Hazaribagh route. Bagodar is few kms after Dumri on NH-2. Though longer, the Kolkata-Bardhaman-Asansol-Dumri-Bagodar-Hazaribagh-Ranchi route is in top notch condition and is the one to go for.

An early start from Kolkata will ensure you avoid traffic till Bardhaman. Plus this route will not take you through crowded Dhanbad and Bokaro plus the not-so-good Dhanbad-Bokaro-Gola-Ranchi highway, so you will save time even though the Hazaribagh route is longer.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 15:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,829 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
We'll be travelling from Kolkata to Ranchi on the 2nd of January and the route via Barhi, though longer, looks good to me - will be grateful for updates from someone who has made a similar trip recently.
Hello Babuda!

The stretch from Barhi to Hazaribagh, which is about 30-35 kms is in bad condition with big potholes at some places. However, I won't say that it is not doable, but just to keep you updated & informed; keep spare time to cross this 35 kms stretch. Don't worry; any small hatchback with some careful handling will do just fine.

However, you yourself know that this route is longer than the other route via Dhanbad.

Last edited by saket77 : 30th December 2013 at 15:39.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 11:19   #27
BHPian
 
Babuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 102
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
You are absolutely right. However you may bypass Barhi and take the Bagodar-Hazaribagh route. Bagodar is few kms after Dumri on NH-2. Though longer, the Kolkata-Bardhaman-Asansol-Dumri-Bagodar-Hazaribagh-Ranchi route is in top notch condition and is the one to go for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Babuda!

The stretch from Barhi to Hazaribagh, which is about 30-35 kms is in bad condition with big potholes at some places. However, I won't say that it is not doable, but just to keep you updated & informed; keep spare time to cross this 35 kms stretch. Don't worry; any small hatchback with some careful handling will do just fine.
Thanks for the input guys. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the road via Bagodar will be a better option at this time than taking the longer detour via Barhi.
Babuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 11:23   #28
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,839
Thanked: 6,337 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the road via Bagodar will be a better option at this time than taking the longer detour via Barhi.
Exactly. That's what I meant in my post, Sir.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 15:12   #29
BHPian
 
Babuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 102
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

@//M & saket77: Guys, thanks for your help. We returned from our Ranchi trip yesterday and took the NH 2 - Bagodar - Hazaribagh - Ramgarh - Ranchi route while going as well as while returning. From doorstep to doorstep it took us about 9 hours including a 30 min breakfast break at Burdwan and a 45 min lunch break just prior to entering Ramgarh.

The first 20 kms from Bagodar towards Hazaribagh has a few rough patches and a couple of broken culverts, thereafter the roads are excellent. The stretch of NH 33 that we travelled on after exiting Hazaribagh and just prior to entering Ranchi, is 4 laned (and a driver's delight), except for the Ramgarh part where you are diverted through the city. It did take us some time to cross Ramgarh during our onward journey as it was a weekday afternoon, but it was easy during the return trip as it was a Sunday morning.
Babuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 03:39   #30
BHPian
 
Travelator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 82
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Kolkata to Ranchi - Security issues?

Anyone who can help me with Patna to Bhubaneshwar route conditions from upto a month or so recent. Quick replies would be really welcome as I am planning to so this enroute Bangalore on 13th Oct
Travelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning gangtok-ranchi-ranchi delhi by swift ddis dr.abhijeet Route / Travel Queries 15 29th May 2013 10:31
Rally with a sea view- for people from Kolkata and Ranchi. adg_andy Indian Motorsport 0 5th July 2011 14:03
"Kolkata - Leh - Kolkata * Interested Kolkata TBHP Members. Captdey Route / Travel Queries 17 17th May 2010 23:48
Warranty issues-Security system fitment at dealer kums20 Technical Stuff 3 22nd October 2007 13:35
We need to be more sensitive towards security issues Zappo Shifting gears 2 30th December 2005 06:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks