Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th December 2011, 15:10   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Had come from Calicut through CLT- Thamarassery- Waynad- Mysore route. The ghat roads are a mess with huge pile up of vehicles. Took some 2 hours to clear it yesterday noon. Guess will be even worse at evenings / weekends. Due to bad condition of roads heavy vehicles are not able to navigate hair pin bends proper causing delay.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 15:17   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

anybody hear of any untoward incidents on the Walayar area? we're driving back to Bangalore early tomorrow morning. don't expect any issues (now that Christmas has come and gone), but better safe than sorry
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 20:50   #138
Team-BHP Support

Nothing so far. Will be also be on same route, leaving cochin around 530am. Look out for a black skoda RS
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 21:45   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Nothing so far. Will be also be on same route, leaving cochin around 530am. Look out for a black skoda RS
Cool! Will be starting same time and taking the Shornur-Palakkad route. Look out for a black Getz with LTD on the rear.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:35   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
anybody hear of any untoward incidents on the Walayar area? we're driving back to Bangalore early tomorrow morning. don't expect any issues (now that Christmas has come and gone), but better safe than sorry
Just did Kochi - Bangalore via NH47/Walayar. Passed through Walayar at 4pm and no issues at all though few KeSRTC buses were forming a convoy towards CBE with police protection.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 11:52   #141
BHPian

Planning to do Madurai to Thekkady via Theni/Kumily on 5th January.

KA registered car.

Are there any issues that I must be aware of?

Thanks
Tempelhof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 12:01   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof
Planning to do Madurai to Thekkady via Theni/Kumily on 5th January.

KA registered car.

Are there any issues that I must be aware of?

Thanks
I'm planning to go to Thekkady for the new year weekend. The road via Theni was open till today from the last few days and has again been shut down. Leaving Bangalore on 30th morning. My resort has asked me to travel to Thekkady via Udumalaipet-Munnar. Let's see how things pan out.
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 12:07   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
I'm planning to go to Thekkady for the new year weekend. The road via Theni was open till today from the last few days and has again been shut down. Leaving Bangalore on 30th morning. My resort has asked me to travel to Thekkady via Udumalaipet-Munnar. Let's see how things pan out.
I am actually going to Club Mahindra Resort, Thekkady, from Bangalore, reaching Madurai the previous day.

If I have to go via Udumalpet/Munnar, I need a major re-work of my plans
Old 28th December 2011, 12:43   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
So, did you pass me already or are you still behind?
Old 28th December 2011, 14:31   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof

I am actually going to Club Mahindra Resort, Thekkady, from Bangalore, reaching Madurai the previous day.

If I have to go via Udumalpet/Munnar, I need a major re-work of my plans
I'm going to Sterling Resorts why don't you call up Club Mahindra and ask them what they recommend? They'd have a better idea. I just got a call from Sterlings Travel desk, and the guy asked me to deviate from Cumbum to Cumbum Mettu and then turn off towards Kumily.
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 23:16   #146
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, am out of town - hence no updates. But heard that things are OK currently at Walayar border
mallumowgli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:06   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
I'm going to Sterling Resorts why don't you call up Club Mahindra and ask them what they recommend? They'd have a better idea. I just got a call from Sterlings Travel desk, and the guy asked me to deviate from Cumbum to Cumbum Mettu and then turn off towards Kumily.
I checked with the resort Manager last week - he mentioned about some disturbances at the border, and asked me to check with him just before starting.

How was your experience? Any tips and routes to follow?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:56   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
I checked with the resort Manager last week - he mentioned about some disturbances at the border, and asked me to check with him just before starting.

How was your experience? Any tips and routes to follow?

Thanks in advance.
Issues from TN part is not reported these days as they are worried on any attack to Sabarimala pilgrims from TN. Situation may change once Sabarimala season is over.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:02   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Situation may change once Sabarimala season is over.
But, unfortunately, I need to travel this week, well before the close of the Sabarimala season !
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:17   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
But, unfortunately, I need to travel this week, well before the close of the Sabarimala season !
I mean, this week is safe as lot of pilgrims are traveling.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote