Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd December 2011, 19:39   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

I need accomodation for family in Perinthalamma for a few days. Any recommendations?

Which is the best route for Bangalore - Perinthalmanna (without touching Gudalur)?
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:49   #92
BHPian

Default Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

There is an idea to drive into Kerala through TN if you are in a KA or TN registered vehicle. Dress up like a Sabarimala Pilgrim(You should be okay if the vehicle is a KA registered one while passing TN.). But the plan wont take off if you have women passengers in the car. It might sound weird, But desperate times call for desperate measures.

Also if you have a KL vehicle and are in Bangalore and need to get to Kerala, Get the Number Plates done in Kannada just the day before you leave(Even if you get caught for violation, It will only be a petty offence.And please note- I am not someone who promotes illegal activities.), Of course its illegal. But you can pass off for a KA vehicle without harm in TN.

Last edited by jalex77 : 22nd December 2011 at 19:50.
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:57   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Trivandrum on 24th, via Salem, Madurai, Thirunalveli, Nagarcoil. Can I expect the NH till Nagarcoil to be block free? Any news on the entry into Kerala thru Nagarcoil? Will be in a KA reg car.

Gears,
Red-One.
I don't think KA registered cars will have any issues in this route. For sure, till Nagercoil it will be block free. If there is any agitation, it should be in front of Nagercoil Collectrate office or near to Kerala border. Kanyakumari dist has lots of KL registered vehicles so I don't think even KL registered private vehicles will be targeted.
I will be in a KA registered car till Nagercoil on 24th.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

My sis is in a Kerala bound volvo from chennai. It's KL registered and going via nagercoil. Dad says the operator was confident that there would be no issues on the route. I'm worried :(
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:57   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I need accomodation for family in Perinthalamma for a few days. Any recommendations?

Which is the best route for Bangalore - Perinthalmanna (without touching Gudalur)?
Replied to your other post on Accomodation related thread. Hotel Mahendrapuri just after Malappuram towards Perinthalmanna is the best choice, I think. And it takes only 15-20 minutes of drive to reach Perinthalmanna from the hotel as the road is very good in this stretch.

As far as Bangalore - Perinthalmanna (without touching Gudalur) route is considered, I guess any private bus not willing to take TN tax would take this route: Bangalore->Gundlupet->Sulthan Batheri->Wayanad/Thamarassery ghats->Thamarassery(soon after a commercial tax checkpost and just before town, take LEFT where you see the road marked to Nilambur)->Mukkam->Areekode->South Puthalam(about 2 kms after Areekode town, take RIGHT to Manjeri here and dont take the main road that goes left-ish straight to Edavanna/Nilambur)->Manjeri->Perinthalmanna. If you are not familiar with this route, only place where you could get confused is when you are in Manjeri and ask for local help, esp. the jeep or taxi drivers. Overall, will add about 40-50 kms compared to Gudalur route. You have good number of decent restaurants in Sulthan Batheri and Kalpetta for food and toilet breaks.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:41   #96
BHPian

I drove to Cochin from Bangalore through Mysore > Bandipur > Mudumalai > Gudallur >Nilambur >Perinthalmanna > Pattambi > Kullapully > Thrissur > Cochin . There were no issues in TN and Thank GOD! the drive was good. there are winding roads from Gudallur and we need to drive through some narrow streches as well even after the Ghat session. The roads are mostly good. I saw a long pile up of trucks and private cars before Mudumali gate and wondered why they were there. I continued my drive into TN and then to Kerala. The people were kind and helpful. The total distance is little lesser compared to Hosur > salem> Coimb road , 492 kms to Cochin, but took 9 hours and 30 minutes including two stops on the way (longer time because we need to pass through forests, ghat session, narrow roads etc), The drive would take around 10 hours with average driving. There were no (Non-TN) cars on the Gudallur >Nilambur stretch (I saw only one Toyota Altis with KA-Bangalore registration and a Nano with no number plate)
As of today, there were no issues in the TN -Gudallur border.

I forgot to mention . Do not trust Satnav maps in this route. My Garmin GPS with Satnav map had not more than 30% accuracy, I was being guided to Calicut and then to Shornur no matter hom much i tried pushing it back to the Cochin route plan, it will misguide you in the Gudallur -Nilambur route as well. Please take the patience of asking the kind people on the road for guidance if you need.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd December 2011 at 08:34.
decode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:38   #97
BHPian

Just reached home in palakkad. Did not have any problems on the way. One more forum member tomrider was behind me travelling to ekm. Took close to 6 hrs non stop.

All the private buses were operating. Also saw couple of KL registration cars.

Last edited by sridharp77 : 23rd December 2011 at 04:41.
sridharp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 05:32   #98
Team-BHP Support

My friend travelled on the 22nd from Bangalore to Palakkad via Coinbatore. He was in a KA registered vehicle, and made it home without any issues. He did mention the traffic density was on the lower side.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 06:41   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode View Post
I drove to Cochin from Bangalore through Mysore > Bandipur > Mudumalai > Gudallur >Nilambur >Perinthalmanna > Pattambi > Kullapully > Thrissur > Cochin .
=========================
As of today, there were no issues in the TN -Gudallur border.
What time did you pass through Gudalur?

Jacs has also posted in the other thread about a safe passage through Gudalur http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2619754
sajidclt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:51   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode
I forgot to mention . Do not trust Satnav maps in this route. My Garmin GPS with Satnav map had not more than 30% accuracy, I was being guided to Calicut and then to Shornur no matter hom much i tried pushing it back to the Cochin route plan, it will misguide you in the Gudallur -Nilambur route as well. Please take the patience of asking the kind people on the road for guidance if you need.
Garmin is rubbish! I stopped using mine.

I was advised to avoid the palakkad border so I went via Mysore, Calicut etc.

All fine till Sultan Battery and lost an hour due to a huge backlog of trucks at the checkpost. Descent into Calicut was okay but some bad sections. From then it was NH17 all the way to Cochin. Add narrow roads, suicidal or macho drivers, it took me 12 hours non stop. The skoda never missed a beat.

I am going back via Salem even if it costs me a windscreen!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:02   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Trivandrum on 24th, via Salem, Madurai, Thirunalveli, Nagarcoil. Can I expect the NH till Nagarcoil to be block free? Any news on the entry into Kerala thru Nagarcoil? Will be in a KA reg car.

Gears,
Red-One.
I drove in KA registered car yesterday from bangalore to trivandrum and the route taken was the shencottai one. Absolutely no issues faced.
jreddy420 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:45   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
My sis is in a Kerala bound volvo from chennai. It's KL registered and going via nagercoil. Dad says the operator was confident that there would be no issues on the route. I'm worried :(
Did your sister reach home safe? Any issues on the way?
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:53   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Garmin is rubbish! I stopped using mine.

I was advised to avoid the palakkad border so I went via Mysore, Calicut etc.

All fine till Sultan Battery and lost an hour due to a huge backlog of trucks at the checkpost. Descent into Calicut was okay but some bad sections. From then it was NH17 all the way to Cochin. Add narrow roads, suicidal or macho drivers, it took me 12 hours non stop. The skoda never missed a beat.

I am going back via Salem even if it costs me a windscreen!
Hmm. That narrows down my options to just 2. Either to go via Palakkad or cancel the trip. As of now, I am on with the trip based on fellow BHPans experiences...
manojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:57   #104
Senior - BHPian

As per news today morning, there is road blockade on Kollam - Shenkottai route initiated by some local political party.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:47   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The operator may be right. Most of the buses pass the border at off peak hours where the chances of issues are less. Also, these routes are major sources of income for the buses.

Anyway, please update us on the status and I hope your sister made it safe without any hassle.
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote