Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd December 2011, 09:58   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Leaving today around 4 PM from Bangalore via Salem - Palakkad Road. Hoping to cross the border at night.
I assume sridharp77 too drove overnight so going by his review on the road conditions. Will keep posted as we cross by.

Cheers,
Rashith
parashakthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:40   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I will be in a KA registered car till Nagercoil on 24th.
OK. Maybe we can group all folks travelling south on 24th and convoy it! I am planning to leave around 5 AM.

Gears,
Red-One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreddy420 View Post
I drove in KA registered car yesterday from bangalore to trivandrum and the route taken was the shencottai one. Absolutely no issues faced.
Thanks. What was the reason you took the Shencottai route instead on the Nagarcoil route? I heard Shencottai road was bad in sections and so takes more time.

Gears,
red-One.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2011 at 10:58. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
RedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:53   #108
BHPian

Default Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Going in a convoy is a good idea. Anyone going to Munnar tomorrow? I am planning to take the Udumalaippettai->Maraiyoor->Munnar route. We leave Bangalore at around 5 am and should be in Udumalaipettai by around 12 pm.

If there are other people going to Munnar tomorrow, I do not mind meeting up at Udumalaipettai and crossing the border in a convoy
jaganm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:02   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

2 of my friends travelled yesterday from Bangalore to Ernakulam via Walayar. They went in a private Airbus and made it home today morning without any delay or issues. The bus left madivala at 8:00 PM.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:39   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Did your sister reach home safe? Any issues on the way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
The operator may be right. Most of the buses pass the border at off peak hours where the chances of issues are less. Also, these routes are major sources of income for the buses.

Anyway, please update us on the status and I hope your sister made it safe without any hassle.
Thanks for your concern guys, she made it safely
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:42   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Thanks for your concern guys, she made it safely
That's good to hear. Biut would you please also tell if she witnessed any delays or any un pleasant incidents especially in the border ?
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:46   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
OK. Maybe we can group all folks travelling south on 24th and convoy it! I am planning to leave around 5 AM.

Gears,
Red-One.
You can check with "kap04" - post #42 in this thread. He is also going till Trivandrum in this route. I am starting early since I have some work in native and my last point is Nagercoil.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:19   #113
Senior - BHPian

Situation is normal as of now at Walayar border, though state buses are not plying interstate. No problems reported yet for private vehicles or for that any vehicles for the last 2 days
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:11   #114
BHPian

Thanks mate. Got a PM from RedOne , talked to him, we are planning to ride together tomorrow to Tvm via Nagercoil.

If anyone one else is also planning the same route tomorrow, starting at 4-5 AM, drop me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can check with "kap04" - post #42 in this thread. He is also going till Trivandrum in this route. I am starting early since I have some work in native and my last point is Nagercoil.
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:48   #115
BHPian

kap04, PM'd you about another car who wants to join the convoy and wants to start at the same time as you are planning.
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:04   #116
BHPian

myself and tomrider reached EKM by 8 in the morning today ( via salem , coimbatore , palakkad ). Travel took 9 hrs . There were no issues and the traffic was kinda less for the holiday season. Expect some delays at the Toll Plazas.
mathewpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:59   #117
BHPian

I am travelling to Thekkady with a bunch of friends on the 29th to ring in the new year. Will be watching for updates from you on the Udumalaipet-Munnar route as it is one of the alternative routes I plan to take in case Dindigul-Kumily is still shut down
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:16   #118
BHPian

Can anyone who had travelled to kerala in a TN registered vehicle during last couple of days, share their experience inside kerala? I havent heard of any untoward incidents but wanted to just reconfirm
vinucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:37   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Going to Thrissur tomorrow by car.

Route planned.
Chennai - Vellore - Salem - Coimbatore - Pallakad - Thrissur.

Since we will be travelling in a TN registered car, I don't think we will encounter any problem till Coimbatore. Hoping that the trip will go peacefully without any incidents.
Update: Reached home saftely. No issues near Walayar border.
We started at 5AM from Chennai and reached Thrisssur by 3:15PM.
Palakkad - Thrissur road is pathetic.Found many KA registered vehicles and few TN vehicles heading towards Kerala.
ecenandu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:26   #120
Senior - BHPian

Anybody for a Sunday morning drive (25th Dec) to Kochi? I am planning to leave by 5.30AM through Salem>Palakkad>Shornur>Thrissur>Ekm route. I hope that traffic will be thinner on Sunday compared to tomorrow.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote