Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd December 2011, 17:36   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Any one doing Chennai - Kochi on the 24th morning?
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:22   #122
BHPian

A quick update.

Just reached Nilambur via Gudalur from Bangalore. We were in two KA registered vehicles.

The drive was absolutely safe with no issues. I also saw around fifteen to twenty KL registered vehicles between TN KA border and Nadugani pass. KSRTC buses were also running between Nilambur and Gudalur.
sajidclt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:16   #123
BHPian

Default Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

I drove to kochi via salem, coimbatore, palghat. Absolutely no issues. I saw a lot of KA and KL registered cars on that route. It took 10 hours to reach kochi thanks to 3 hours spent between thrissur and kochi due to heavy traffic at angamali and edapalli.

The road is consistently good except for a 45 KM stretch right before coimbatore (flyover work going on) and a 10 KM stretch around the kuthiran kayattam. There are no KSRTC buses between TN and palghat (very good thing , because after palghat you have to be lucky not to be run over by them)
hemlock is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 06:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

The issue is dying down.the theni kumily route is expected open today by afternoon as per news reports in various malayalam news channels
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 06:30   #125
BHPian

Crossed Walayar by 1am in a KeSRTC Volvo. Absolutely no issues on the route. Saw quite a lot of KL Cars coming towards Coimbatore side. I guess that the issue is dying down and it is safe to take this route.
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 10:51   #126
BHPian

Any updates on Bangalore - Nagercoil - TVM route, planning to go to Kovalam on 26 th
prince_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 15:43   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

My mother-in-law reached Thrissur this morning from Bangalore in a Shama B9R via Walayar. The journey was uneventful.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 18:02   #128
BHPian

Glad to see that all of you made it to Kerala with out any issues.
Hope the same or better for return.
I had planned to drive to Kerala on 23rd, but cancelled my trip because of all this ruckus.
motor_breathing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 19:53   #129
Team-BHP Support

Now I just heard of a planned bundh in Tirvandrum on 26th. Am supposed to attend a wedding there on that day
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 08:00   #130
BHPian

I had earlier decided against drifing & booked flight tickets for the travel from Chennai - Kochi. Yesterday after having seen the latest updates on this thread, I decided to jump straight away to the highway. I started from Chennai at 10AM. Crossed Walayar between 8-9PM. No issues anywhere. The Avinashi - Walayar stretch is becoming a joke especially when driving at night . I'm surely going to be thinking twice in future.
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 14:26   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_alex View Post
Any updates on Bangalore - Nagercoil - TVM route, planning to go to Kovalam on 26 th
Except traffic in Nagercoil and Marthandam, I didn't hear any issues for pvt vehicles. However I am not sure about the bandh in Tvm.
Yesterday it took more than a hour for me to enter Nagercoil due to heavy traffic in vadasery. The queue was for about 4 Kms. However traffic situation will improve post Christmas.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 19:01   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie
Except traffic in Nagercoil and Marthandam, I didn't hear any issues for pvt vehicles. However I am not sure about the bandh in Tvm.
Yesterday it took more than a hour for me to enter Nagercoil due to heavy traffic in vadasery. The queue was for about 4 Kms. However traffic situation will improve post Christmas.
Absolutely no issues. Three of us tbhpians synced up and drove down to TVM via Nagarcoil yesterday. Started around 5am, reached Nagarcoil around 130 pm, had a break for breakfast in between. But at Nagarcoil, there were 2 huge traffic jams, which cost us about 3 hours.
kap04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 20:51   #133
Senior - BHPian

Reached Kottayam today evening. Came through Salem>Walayar>Palakkad>Ottapalam>Thrissur>Ekm route. Absolutely no issues anywhere in the route. Very peaceful traffic due to Xmas Sunday! Excellent road throughout in Kerala,especially between Palakkad and Thrissur and then 4 lane up to Ekm. Raods are good in the Ekm>Ktym sector also, except for a bit rough ride between Ettumanoor and Ktym. Hope to go back through the same route sometime coming weekend.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 10:31   #134
Senior - BHPian

My mother in law travelled from Bangalore to Trivandrum in KPN Multi Axle bus via Nagercoil on 24th and reached safely without any delays. It was a 9:00 PM departure bus and reached Trivandrum at 8:45 AM on 25th.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 13:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

The issue has more or less died down,unless something out of the turn events take place,safe and pleasant driving days are back.Have a safe new year and start driving.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote