Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th January 2013, 14:36   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai - Masinagudi route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am planning to leave from Chennai to Mudumalai tomorrow morning and want to avoid Ghats as have never driven there so shortlisted the following route. Please advise if this is pretty straight forward with easy to access milestones (though I will keep GPS active).

Chennai-Krishnagiri-Housr-Bangalore nice road- Mysore road exit- Ramanagara- Mandya - Mysore-Gundulpet- Bandipur - Masinagudi
I did this trip in last week of November.I took the same route mentioned by you.
I managed to reach krishnagiri within 4hrs but krishnagiri to Bangalore was a mess. Very tiring drive.
Bangalore to mysore and till Nanjagud-Lot of speedbreakers,traffic and villages.
So better take the kollegal route as mentioned by others.

Are you going to Ooty also?
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 15:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend Chennai - Krishnagiri - NICE Road - Kanakpura Road - Kanakpura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar - Gundlepet - Bandipur - Theppakadu - Masinagudi. The bolded portion is different from the Mysore Road route.

I go to Masinagudi regularly, and prefer NH 209 anyday to Mysore Road. Less traffic. more picturesque. Not too many food options though.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 16:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only point to note:

Since you are driving from Chennai, and if you start a bit late say 6AM, you would cross Bangalore by 12.
If my memory serves me right, I remember seeing a post by Ampere which would connect Kankapura and Krishnagiri via Denkanikota (or some similar thing). Is this a viable option? Just curious. Even if the roads are half-decent, bypassing Hosur/Bangalore seem to make sense.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 17:13   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I would recommend Chennai - Krishnagiri - NICE Road - Kanakpura Road - Kanakpura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar - Gundlepet - Bandipur - Theppakadu - Masinagudi. The bolded portion is different from the Mysore Road route.

I go to Masinagudi regularly, and prefer NH 209 anyday to Mysore Road. Less traffic. more picturesque. Not too many food options though.
How many hours can I cover this in, if I take this route suggested by you?
Also, I should take left before the Electronic City Flyover?
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 17:59   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
If my memory serves me right, I remember seeing a post by Ampere which would connect Kankapura and Krishnagiri via Denkanikota (or some similar thing). Is this a viable option? Just curious. Even if the roads are half-decent, bypassing Hosur/Bangalore seem to make sense.

Prasad
Krishnagiri-Kanakpura via Denkanikottai/Thally is almost same distance as the route via Hosur/NICE. Its just more serene and green.
Expect zero traffic and single lane roads with regions being rough.

The route:
- At Krishnagiri ask for route to Rayakottai.
- At Rayakottai you meet the old Dharmapuri-SH.
- At Rayakottai you have two options.
a: Ask anyone how to goto Panchapalli dam and from there you can get to Denkanikottai. (At bit of rough roads, but beautiful country side)
b: Ask for Denkanikottai and folks would route you through Kelamangalam
- At Denkanikottai take the road to Kanakpura via Thally

The route via Panchapalli is very scenic. But I would not advice the same as they are small roads, and one can easily get lost when doing long distances like Chennai-Ooty.
For a day's exploration from Bangalore, they are very good places. But I think one can definitely try Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Denkanikottai-Thally-Kanakpura option.
However again, I would stress on the point that for long distances, NH and 4-lanes are always preferable.

Here are a couple of snaps of the dam, which I had uploaded some time back.
Cross linking from another thread.

Quote:
Gundlupet is about 220km from Bangalore and I think you easily be there in 3-4 hours. It would be another hour max to reach Masinagudi.
At the E-City flyover signal (after which you have the tool both for elevated road) you should get to the service road. Then only you can access the NICE
road exit.

Last edited by ampere : 9th January 2013 at 18:05.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 20:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the flyover when coming from South.

Well, from the Kanakpura Road/NICE Road crossing to Masinagudi: I usually do between 4 hr - 4 hr 45 min, depending on how I drive and on traffic conditions. If you take breaks in this stretch and ask for directions, add perhaps 30-60 mins since you are a first time driver on this route. Driving during early morning, or in the afternoon helps, but I won't recommend evening driving (first time for you, lonely road) and besides the Bandipur gate will close sharp at 9 pm. Do note that NH209 is a 2 lane highway, with its pluses and minuses.

Another route you might want to consider since you are coming from Chennai: Krishnagiri - Salem - Avinashi - Mettupalayam - Coonoor - Ooty. This route might actually save you some time since you can drive fast till Avinashi (actually till Mettupalayam, after which ghats will start).

See this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2725950

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th January 2013 at 20:05.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 20:39   #22
BANNED

Quote:
After the flyover when coming from South.
Thanks a lot. So, the NICE Road it is as I can't do Ghats yet.
Are you sure there is no exit before the Electronic City Flyover?
Old 10th January 2013, 15:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. So, the NICE Road it is as I can't do Ghats yet.
Are you sure there is no exit before the Electronic City Flyover?
This is the route you should take http://goo.gl/maps/hQYN4 . As explained in posts before DO NOT go through toll booths for BETL near Electronics city. While coming from Hosur side there is a traffic signal before Electronics city, once you cross signal the left most lane goes to BETL toll booth, you should take the lane right to that which pass below the fly over. Go ahead few Kms and you will find the markings for Mysore, Kanakpura etc. You should take the ramp here which joins NICE road. Pay toll till 'Kanakpura road' (Guess Rs 53) and you will reach NH 209. From NICE road exit take left and continue.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 16:39   #24
BANNED

Quote:

I can't possibly thank you enough for chalking out this route. It was in extremely good condition, hardly any traffic and very picturesque. Chennai to Bangalore was a pain due to the diversion and work-in-progress and I got lost after Hosur so entered the City by mistake. Had to activate GPS to get out and hit Kanakpura road. After that, it's like a dream. Came back the same way as the ride to Ooty was no comparison to the Bandipur - Kanakpura drive.

Thanks a lot.
Old 14th January 2013, 18:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can't possibly thank you enough for chalking out this route. It was in extremely good condition, hardly any traffic and very picturesque. Chennai to Bangalore was a pain due to the diversion and work-in-progress and I got lost after Hosur so entered the City by mistake. Had to activate GPS to get out and hit Kanakpura road. After that, it's like a dream. Came back the same way as the ride to Ooty was no comparison to the Bandipur - Kanakpura drive.

Thanks a lot.
Glad to have been of help. How long did it take you, and did you see any wildlife?
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 19:33   #26
BANNED

Took 13 hours door o door while going and 12 while returning with loads of stop overs thrown in.

As for wildlife, saw a lot of peacocks, deers, elephants and rabbits.