Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd January 2012, 18:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mumbai - Rajasthan (14 - 24 January 2012) Query

Hello Friends,

I have planned a Road Trip to Rajasthan (from Mumbai) in my WagonR with wifey & daughter (5 years) and my plan is as under:

Day Month Date Day Place
1 Jan 14 Sat Mumbai Udaipur
2 Jan 15 Sun Udaipur
3 Jan 16 Mon Udaipur - Ranakpur - Kulbhalgarh Jodhpur
4 Jan 17 Tue Jodhpur
5 Jan 18 Wed Jodhpur Jaisalmer
6 Jan 19 Thu Jaisalmer
7 Jan 20 Fri Jaisalmer Bikaner
8 Jan 21 Sat Bikaner Jaipur
9 Jan 22 Sun Jaipur
10 Jan 23 Mon Jaipur Chittorgarh - Himatnagar
11 Jan 24 Tue Himatnagar Mumbai

The above plan is reviewed & approved by Mr. HV Kumar and I am not planning any changes in the above as of now. Except, if I can cover Jodhpur in half day, then will proceed to Jaisalmer & save one day, which can be used in Jaipur.

I am not making any hotel booking as of now as I believe this is not a peak season in Rajasthan & I could get good bargainat hotels.

I need a suggestion from you all on hotel booking at Udaipur. Shall I pre-book hotel in Udaipur or I will get a good deal when I reach there? Considering the fact that 14th & 15th January are Kite Festival days & Udaipur may be full of Tourists.

Secondly I would invite your suggestions / comments / instructions on this trip.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Rajasthan (14 - 24 January 2012) Query

Congrats on your first post!

It is indeed peak season in Rajasthan, but as long as you have identified some hotels ahead of your trip, you should be able to find accommodation without too much trouble.

I would suggest you book in Udaipur because reaching there is certain on Day 1.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 11:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hello Mr. HV Kumar,

Thank you for the suggestion & all the help you have extended.

I have one more query about Jaisalmer. Are Tanot & Longewala worth visiting with family? I believe Longewala is almost 110 kms from Jaisalmer on Ramgarh Road.
The reason for asking this question is my wife & daughter (5 years) are not interested much in war history and if I skip tanot & Longewala, I believe I can complete important places in Jaisalmer in 1.5 days.

Friends, you suggestion & comments are requested.

Thanks,
Old 4th January 2012, 12:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Mr. HV Kumar,

I have one more query about Jaisalmer. Are Tanot & Longewala worth visiting with family? I believe Longewala is almost 110 kms from Jaisalmer on Ramgarh Road.
The reason for asking this question is my wife & daughter (5 years) are not interested much in war history and if I skip tanot & Longewala, I believe I can complete important places in Jaisalmer in 1.5 days.

Thanks,
Going there is not about war history, but spectacular desert terrain and the thrill of going near the Pak border. You can combine Thanot/LOngewal with trip to Sam. Assuming you reach Jaisalmer from Jodhpur by 10 am on Jan 18, you can spent the rest of the day in the Fort and mansions of Jaislamer town, and next day drive to Thanot, etc and combine with Sam.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 12:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

1. Considering the fact that Bikaner- Jaipur is a 5-6 hrs drive, You have one and a half day in Jaipur. This should be enough to do your sight seeing. No point in adding an extra day here.

2. This is very busy season for hotels, take HVK's suggestion, shortlist a few hotels and keep their numbers handy. Or else I find running from one hotel to another with family specially young kids a tiresome process.

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 13:14   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

3 Jan 16 Mon Udaipur - Ranakpur - Kulbhalgarh Jodhpur

Secondly I would invite your suggestions / comments / instructions on this trip.

Thanks,
Overall plan is very practical. Only suggestion , if you can stay at Kumbhalgarh on Jan 16th to see the lighting of Kumbhalgarh fort. It worth it !
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 13:15   #7

Stay at Amet Haveli or Jagat Niwas in Udaipur. Very nice places. Jaiwana Haveli is also very highly rated.
veezhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 13:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Mr. HV Kumar,

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Overall plan is very practical. Only suggestion , if you can stay at Kumbhalgarh on Jan 16th to see the lighting of Kumbhalgarh fort. It worth it !
Completely agree with V&V. Stay in Kumbhalgarh for the night if possible. The fort looks lovely at Night and should not miss it. If you cant, you can always start from Kumbahalgarh after 7 PM and still reach next destination Jodhpur as roads are fabulous and it is only 170 KM and there is hardly any traffic.

I will also suggest that you can visit the famous Srinathji temple at Nathdwara as well as Devigarh - which is now converted into a fabulous hotel - on the way. Amitabh's movie "Eklavya" was shot here

Hotels in Jaipur | Hotels in Udaipur | Hotels Udaipur | Udaipur Hotels | Hotels in india
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 14:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hello HVKumar, Deky, V&V, Veezhun & Fauji,

Thank you all a ton for your valuable suggestion.

Yes. I will try for a night stay at Kulbhalgarh or Ranakpur (I may get a room at Ranakpur, because I am Jain).

Mr. Fauji, as far as leaving from Kulbhalgarh at 7 pm is concerned, this is my first self-driven road trip & would not like to take much risk. But I will cut one extra night halt at Jodhpur & plan to stay back at Kumbhalgarh.
Also I will try to accomodate visit Shrinathji Temple in my plan.

Veezhun, I have noted the hotel names & will contact them today itself.

Thanks again,
Old 4th January 2012, 20:13   #10
BHPian

Rajsthan will be beautiful this time of the year. Now it has lot of "dhani" kind of places, which are restaurants in the form of ethnic village kind of set up. Make sure you try the "Thali" at few such places.

Enjoy and make sure you have a travelogue for all the BHPians
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 07:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Jignesh the basic plan by HVK is good driving plan covering regions most fantastic roads but to me its more of been there and done that plan.

You can spend one day or five in Udaipur itself. Then there is Abu nearby with Dilwara Jain temples, sunset point and wild life park. Ranakpur takes its inspiration from these. Ambaji, Kumbalgarh, Devigarh, Chittorgarh are all nearby. There are wild life parks and huge lakes reservoirs to visit.

Think again if you really want to cover all the Rajasthan in one trip? Cover one area or maximum two in this trip. Save the rest for another. Family will also enjoy more.

And in any case the fantastic roads will beckon you to drive on them again soon.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 10:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Rajsthan will be beautiful this time of the year. Now it has lot of "dhani" kind of places, which are restaurants in the form of ethnic village kind of set up. Make sure you try the "Thali" at few such places.

Enjoy and make sure you have a travelogue for all the BHPians
Thank you Womanonwheels for the advice, I will definitely try 'Thali' at Dhani kind of places.

Yes, I will surely write a Travelogue of my rajasthan Trip. (Hope you have seen the Travelogue or rather a Photologue I posted yesterday of BMW Welt, Munich yesterday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Jignesh the basic plan by HVK is good driving plan covering regions most fantastic roads but to me its more of been there and done that plan.

You can spend one day or five in Udaipur itself. Then there is Abu nearby with Dilwara Jain temples, sunset point and wild life park. Ranakpur takes its inspiration from these. Ambaji, Kumbalgarh, Devigarh, Chittorgarh are all nearby. There are wild life parks and huge lakes reservoirs to visit.

Think again if you really want to cover all the Rajasthan in one trip? Cover one area or maximum two in this trip. Save the rest for another. Family will also enjoy more.

And in any case the fantastic roads will beckon you to drive on them again soon.
Thank you Mr. Sudev for good advice,

Yes. I have given this option to my Wifey. If we like Udaipur & Jaisalmer, we might extend our stay at these places for one more day. But that will mean that we will miss Bikaner and / or Jaipur. I managed to convince her that Jaipur can be covered when we go to Dehli / Agra in future.

Also I am not making any hotel bookings except at Udaipur. So I can alter my plan as required. But Mr. HV Kumar is against this. I suggested me to cover all these five places (Udaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner & Jaipur in one go).

As fas as Mt. Abu, Ambaji & Dilwara temples are concerned, we have been there for 5 days in November 2008 (infact on 26.11.2008 Mumbai attacks I was at Mt. Abu).

Anyways let us see how things work out, taking into consideration that I am solo driver & fairly a new one. In past I have driven Mumbai - Lonavala & Mumbai - Rajot - Mumbai along with dad.

Thanks,
Old 5th January 2012, 12:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Till a few years back it was advised not to drive in the area around Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur after sunset. The reason being that its a Tribal area and the tribes were known to create trouble on deserted roads.

The things have definitely improved over the years but still when you with family caution should be the key. So IMHO avoid leaving from Kumbhalgarh after sunset.

Also I believe that the light and sound show at the fort is also worth watching!!

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 15:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Also I will try to accomodate visit Shrinathji Temple in my plan.
From Udaipur you can take NH 8 and visit Kailashpuri & Nathdwara and from Nathdwara you can go to Kumbhalgarh.
Quote:
Mr. Fauji, as far as leaving from Kulbhalgarh at 7 pm is concerned, this is my first self-driven road trip & would not like to take much risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Till a few years back it was advised not to drive in the area around Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur after sunset. The reason being that its a Tribal area and the tribes were known to create trouble on deserted roads.

The things have definitely improved over the years but still when you with family caution should be the key. So IMHO avoid leaving from Kumbhalgarh after sunset.

Also I believe that the light and sound show at the fort is also worth watching!!

Regards
I, too would not advise you to leave Kumbhalgarh after sunset. The situation has improved only for the public transport buses, still incidences of stone throwing and robbing by tribals has happened with the people travelling by cars.
Topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 16:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Congrats on your first post!

It is indeed peak season in Rajasthan, but as long as you have identified some hotels ahead of your trip, you should be able to find accommodation without too much trouble.

I would suggest you book in Udaipur because reaching there is certain on Day 1.
How about mid to 2nd half of February - is that still peak season? How is hotel availability at that time & also weather?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote