Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th November 2013, 15:12   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Reaching Bandhavgarh & Around

If I do not want to get inside Varanasi city for night stay, are there any places along bypass to stay? I can see one Hotel Vidhan Basera near Ghamhapur in Google but no phone number or other info.
sbiswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 13:16   #32
BHPian

Hello
Coming late on this thread I see that experts have already given answers to most of your route queries. Nevertheless here are some tips from my end.

1. No matter the road condition my preference of route from panna to bandhavgad is : madla-panna-amanganj-katni-umariya-tala (without going all the way to satna) and I will always drive this stretch at night just because about 70 % of this road passes through buffer forests and there are extremely high chances of animal encounters on this route.

having said that, few months back Panna-satna was in great shape with new road laid at panna ghat which was completely cratered last winter. panna-amanganj is a good narrow road which will shorten your distance and time to reach katni. This is your so called MDR route.

You will find many vegeterian restaurants in panna-satna stretch and one recommended dhaba is "fauji dhaba" where many truckers stop and this one operates all night long. I will send you the exact coordinates of this dhaba if you want. But this is a famous place which you will be able to reach by asking on the highway. By the way if you end up going to this dhaba definitely ask if they have heard about a ghost jeeper who tows stranded passengers on this route (more on this later)

In Panna I presume you have booked your safaris through the madla gate. If yes get in touch with guide Sanjay Soni and Gypsy driver Munna mistry . They are one of the best around. I will pm you their numbers.

Incase you have time on hand after your safaris go and meet Dr Raghu Chundawat who lives beside the Ken river (runs a logdge) called Serai toria. This place is very close to "Karnavati" - the starting point of your safaris in Madla.

Incase you have more time definitely go for one safari atleast through the Hinauta gate (lesser visited offbeat gate and my favourite) which is about 20kms from madla gate. Check out
https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?se...type=1&op=30&v

Let me know where you are staying in Panna and what dates will you be there. I am also there in Dec end.

2. Bandhavgad-kanha your route is correct. Definitely plan a visit to the Fossil park. Tourism is disorganised there but recently ASI has found dinosaur nesting sites in that region. You may have to ask around for the nest locations. I hear that the excavated sites are not well protected and locals are resorting to stealing the dino eggs (a la nerdy of jurassic park) . I have a plan to visit this place myself.

3. Kanha-pench is pretty straightforward. Road conditions have improved in the seoni-khawasa stretch. Are you going for your safaris from Turia gate or Karmajhari gate. If Karmajhari gate dont miss staying one night at the old british era guest house.

If you have days on hand after pench and are a bit adventurous try the forest/village road from khawasa via the jungle of Sitapatro to Gondia (you may come across a you-know-who in process) at night. And if you take this road you can add one more tiger reserve to your list (that of nagzira which you can access via chorkhamara gate near tumsar) and then get on nh6 at Sakoli onwards to Sambalpur.

There are so many interesting offbeat good road options for you to explore only if you are adventurous and have the time.

Feel free to call me up incase you need more tips. All the best.

Dr. A Ghosh
+918805788633

Last edited by abheekg : 27th November 2013 at 13:34.
abheekg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 00:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
No matter the road condition my preference of route from panna to bandhavgad is : madla-panna-amanganj-katni-umariya-tala (without going all the way to satna) and I will always drive this stretch at night just because about 70 % of this road passes through buffer forests and there are extremely high chances of animal encounters on this route.
Thank you for that insight. However, for my co-passengers, it is their first road trip ever and they are very nervous about night driving. So likely we will avoid night driving, at least for this trip.

Quote:
panna-amanganj is a good narrow road which will shorten your distance and time to reach katni. This is your so called MDR route.
I was planning to do panna-satna-maihar-barhi-tala, which is 10km less than the route you proposed. Also, I was planning to have lunch at Satna. Hence, again, I will take a rain check for the jungle route.

Quote:
By the way if you end up going to this dhaba definitely ask if they have heard about a ghost jeeper who tows stranded passengers on this route (more on this later)

Quote:
In Panna I presume you have booked your safaris through the madla gate. If yes get in touch with guide Sanjay Soni and Gypsy driver Munna mistry . They are one of the best around. I will pm you their numbers.
Let me know where you are staying in Panna and what dates will you be there. I am also there in Dec end.
I am staying at Panna Tiger Resort for the night of 23rd Dec. We are hard pressed for time and we will leave for Tala after the morning safari. I have not booked the safaris yet. There seems to be a boat safari as well. Any idea how is that?

Quote:
Are you going for your safaris from Turia gate or Karmajhari gate. If Karmajhari gate dont miss staying one night at the old british era guest house.
Wife booked the safari from MPTDC office at Kolkata. The booking slip does not mention which gate . Stay is at Kipling Court.

Quote:
If you have days on hand after pench and are a bit adventurous try the forest/village road from khawasa via the jungle of Sitapatro to Gondia (you may come across a you-know-who in process) at night. And if you take this road you can add one more tiger reserve to your list (that of nagzira which you can access via chorkhamara gate near tumsar) and then get on nh6 at Sakoli onwards to Sambalpur.

There are so many interesting offbeat good road options for you to explore only if you are adventurous and have the time.
Tempting ideas indeed but unfortunately this time I will not have the opportunity to be adventurous. I guess I will have to come back another time for more.

Thank you so very much for your advice. Really appreciate it.
Old 30th December 2013, 18:51   #34
BHPian

I have completed the above journey. Had fantastic sighting of tiger at Panna and Pench. Will post a detailed travelogue when time permits.
Old 8th June 2015, 15:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

I would suggest you stick to the Maihar-Panna route to go to Khajuraho instead of going on NH7 via Katni and then Amanganj.
Dear HVKumar,

Any idea on the latest condition of NH7? A friend is planning to do Bilaspur-Kanha-Jblpur-Khajuraho-Varanasi.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th June 2015, 08:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
Dear HVKumar,

Any idea on the latest condition of NH7? A friend is planning to do Bilaspur-Kanha-Jblpur-Khajuraho-Varanasi.

Thanks in advance.
Rewa-Varanasi on NH7 is as bad as ever.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote