Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th October 2012, 13:06   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
BHPians,
Pune -> Aurangabad - > Jalna -> Akola (night halt) -> Nagpur -> Jabalpur (night halt and possibly next day break too, sightseeing Bhedaghat etc.) -> Varanasi (night halt) -> Mohania ->Patna -> Hajipur -> Mushrigharari -> Samstipur -> Darbhanga.
-BJ
Hi BJ,
I can give you inputs on some of your routes, I had a similar itinerary till Jabalpur. From Nagpur, it is advisable to leave early morning and take Chhindwara - Seoni route towards Jabalpur, the NH was horrible, and while in MP, stick to State Highways, they are excellent and you can cruise without hassle anytime of the day/night. While the NHs are good for some distance but vanish into thin air after few KM's though I am not aware of the current situation. We were also travelling in a small car (i10) and there is no issue with Pumps, available throughout MP and most of them accept cards as well

Since you would be going through Rewa, my suggestion would be to go through Jabalpur - Kundam - Shahpura - Umaria - Tala - Beohari - Rewa.
From Umaria you would go through Bandhavgarh WLS which in itself is a treat, this route has sparse traffic (but safe-we even travelled post 1130pm on the way back)
Attaching road pics taken on Chhindwara - Seoni Route, and then Jabalpur - Kundam - Shahpura route will give you an indication of the treat in store
I am sure everyone will have a great time, all the best and let me know any other information that you need.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Pune to Muzaffarpur by road-dscn2914.jpg  

Pune to Muzaffarpur by road-dscn3000.jpg  

Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 11:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Lucknow has a Ring Road. Look out for the road signs for Barabanki after the Nawabganj toll gate.
Though old thread, Lucknow can be bypassed now. For those who arrive from Kanpur side and moving towards Faizabad: you can cross Amausi airport and half a km ahead is the right turn to Shaheed Path. You can slot the vehicle into top gear and reach Chinhat in 20 mins. From Chinhat, you have a four-lane road beyond Ayodhya now! It is hassle free, except, if you are unlucky, you can get a small traffic snarl at Matihari junction (max for a minute or so). These snarls are due to unnecessary haste by commuters, and for no serious reasons!

More importantly, is Lucknow - Udaipur do-able in a day, starting early in the morning, by 6 am or so and, given that one can only drive for 14 to 15 hours a day? Is the entire stretch four-laned? Or is Lucknow- Kota more realistic? Can Jhansi be bypassed?

I know that in Orai, there is a bypass now, and that therefore there is problem only from Unnao to Ramadevi in Kanpur (if any).

Vipin.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 26th October 2012 at 12:00.
Vipin Kumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 00:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post

More importantly, is Lucknow - Udaipur do-able in a day, starting early in the morning, by 6 am or so and, given that one can only drive for 14 to 15 hours a day? Is the entire stretch four-laned? Or is Lucknow- Kota more realistic? Can Jhansi be bypassed?

I know that in Orai, there is a bypass now, and that therefore there is problem only from Unnao to Ramadevi in Kanpur (if any).

Vipin.
Yes, Lucknow-Udaipur is doable in 1 day's long drive on the schedule you have suggested. No traffic blocks anywhere.
Fully 4-laned. Except that Kota does not have a bypass yet and you have to go through the city.
Jhansi does not have a bypass yet, but passing the town is not a problem.
Orai bypass is complete.
You can also now exit from Ramdevi Chowk directly onto the elevated road bypass at Kanpur on NH2 towards Akbarpur/Etawah side
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 17:27   #34
BHPian

Thanks to the members @Trojan, @Sheel and @BoneCollector who have replied to my earlier posts and many others like @hvkumar, who have generously shared their tips and wealth of experiences, I have modified my route from Pune to Darbhanga as follows:

(1) Pune -> Aurangabad (Halt 1)
(2) Aurangabad -> Jalna -> Mehkar -> Karanja -> Amravati -> Nagpur (Halt 2)
(3) Nagpur -> Chhindwara -> Seoni -> Bhedaghat-Jabalpur (Halt 3)
(4) Jabalpur -> Kundam -> Umaria -> Beohari ->Rewa -> Hanumana -> Mirzapur -> Aurai -> Varanasi (Halt 4)
(5) Varanasi -> Mohania -> Patna -> Musri Gharari/Samastipur or Muzaffarpur (depending on road check with locals) - > Darbhanga.

I am starting my journey on 6th November. Request your input, if the above route is a good option considering I'll be driving with my family (including son 2 years, daughter 8 years) in my WagonR.

Any recommended stay options en-route at Aurangabad, Nagpur and Varanasi? My budget would be about 2k per night for the lodging.

Thanks again guys,

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 28th October 2012 at 17:30. Reason: typo and @userid
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 14:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Any recommended stay options en-route at Aurangabad, Nagpur and Varanasi? My budget would be about 2k per night for the lodging.

-BJ
Hi BJ,

I can comment upto Rewa, it looks fine, I checked with a couple of friends from Nagpur, they suggest Ramdas Peth area for hotels or on the Wardha road both places you should be able to find decent accommodation, and it should be on your way as well.

On the way to Beohari, just before you hit the town, you would come across a truckers dhaba to your right opposite a hill, they serve awesome food and some lip-smacking Gulab Jamuns with fresh Rabdi, its surreal. But its a pure truckers joint cum halt station, so some ladies might not be very happy.

Am sure this is going to be one trip worth remembering! Have fun!

Cheers
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 16:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
You can also now exit from Ramdevi Chowk directly onto the elevated road bypass at Kanpur on NH2 towards Akbarpur/Etawah side
Thanks a lot. I just crossed Kanpur from Lucknow side towards Etawah on Sunday and back on Tuesday. From Rama Devi junction, I had to turn to Allahabad direction, drive around 4 kms, and then take a U-turn to take the elevated bypass to Etawah. Same was the case yesterday also. On the Kanpur - Allahabad road, you have to travel around 4 kms. Rama Devi junction was lethal at 7 pm yesterday; I was on my way back from Fathepur Sikri to Lucknow.

Vipin.
Vipin Kumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 14:57   #37
BHPian

I am planning a north India trip encompassing Bithoor, Allahabad and Varanasi from Pune and visiting Khajuraho on the way back.. On the way out from Pune, would the Shirdi option (via Ahmednagar) towards Malegaon not be better than taking the longer (by about 29 km) Aurangabad road?
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 16:55   #38
BHPian

I am planning a trip to the north (in fact I started a thread but did not get a response) in the next one month. I plan to take the straight Pune Indore road and further to Shivpuri then Orchha and on to Bithoor (near Kanpur). From here, head for Ayodhya, Varanasi, Allahabad and return via Khajuraho by the shortest route. I cannot imagine driving 7-800 km a day as some of our members do. I will also be a solo driver with a passenger who can give some relief on clear roads and take over. I plan to stop at Indore on day one, via Shivpuri to Orchha on day two (nearly 500 km. Is it do-able?), Bithoor, day three and four, pass through Ayodhya and reach for the night at Varanasi on day five and six, Allahabad on day seven, Khajuraho on day eight and nine. The key is whether I can do the stretch from Khajuraho to Burhanpur in the next one day for day ten and return to Pune on day eleven. Obviously Bithoor, Varanasi, Khajuraho halts are to see the places! Allahabad I have a friend.

Is there any other way I can manage to cut another day? I am pressed for time but want to cover these places.

I can do this in the reverse order too.

Need advice from experts. Ampere (Pune based!) HVK (very knowledgeable)!!

Last edited by frequentflyer : 15th November 2012 at 16:57.
Old 15th November 2012, 19:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I am planning a trip to the north (in fact I started a thread but did not get a response) in the next one month.
Be prepared to face heavy fog in many parts of Central India & UP.

Quote:
I plan to take the straight Pune Indore road and further to Shivpuri then Orchha and on to Bithoor (near Kanpur).
NH3 is never a great road, and I just heard that some patch work has been done after the rains in the Dewas-Biaora-GUna-Shivpuri sector. But don't hope to do any fast drive & expect to curse the NHAI a lot by the rough roads. And the poor facilities. But once you hit the EW Corridor before Shivpuri, the roads are superb all the way.

Quote:
I plan to stop at Indore on day one, via Shivpuri to Orchha on day two (nearly 500 km. Is it do-able?), Bithoor, day three and four, pass through Ayodhya and reach for the night at Varanasi on day five and six, Allahabad on day seven, Khajuraho on day eight and nine. The key is whether I can do the stretch from Khajuraho to Burhanpur in the next one day for day ten and return to Pune on day eleven. Obviously Bithoor, Varanasi, Khajuraho halts are to see the places! Allahabad I have a friend.
Comfortable drives.
Allahabad-Rewa road is quite OK now, although there is one rough section near Katra.
Khajuraho to Burhanpur: the routing is going to be the problem! The direct route via Chhatarpur & Sagar are not great, and the Sagar-Bhopal road is terrible till Rahatgarh. Maybe it would be a better idea to connect from Bhopal to Indore & go to Burhanpur instead of battling the Bhopal-Betul road (which was bad some weeks ago)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 10:16   #40
BHPian

Update for fellow BHP-ians. I just drove on this sector in the week of 6-11 Nov in my wagonR with family. I took the following route:

Pune -> Aurangabad -> Jalna -> Mehekar -> Karanja -> Amravati -> Nagpur -> Chhindwara -> Seoni -> Bhedaghat -> Jabalpur -> Kundam -> Umaria -> Bandhavgarh -> Barhi -> Maihar -> Rewa -> Mauganj -> Hanumana -> Mirzapur -> Varanasi -> Mohania -> Arrah -> Danapur -> Patna -> Muzaffarpur -> Darbhanga (total about 2100 kms).

People already know about good roads hence, I wish to alert about bad sections which I encountered in this route:

NH7:: Lakhnadon -> Bhedaghat (bad, full of potholes, difficult to drive after sunset).

NH7:: Mauganj to Mirzapuur- bad patches, difficult to drive above 40km/h average. Was stopped at UP border by the cops (was expecting this- thanks to t-bhp forum). Allowed without any ado. Again stopped at Varanasi/Mughalsarai exit from town. Let me go after some discussions. Did not pay a single penny on either occasions.

Bihta to Danapur near Patna (some bad sections with broken roads, railway x-ing near Danapur)

Patna -> Muzaffarpur (driving after 10PM) some diversions and unfinished top surface + occasional dense fog. The fog continued till Darbhanga. Finally reached home at 2AM.

If you have any specific query, post it here. Will try to answer for the benefits of others too.
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 10:50   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Patna -> Muzaffarpur (driving after 10PM) some diversions and unfinished top surface + occasional dense fog.
Thanks for putting your impressions up.

I have to drive either to Benaras on Dec 5th or to Patna on 9th ( a wedding).

Are documents checked at entry/exit from Benaras? The only thing which my Car has is 25% tints, else everything is in place.

Purnea - Muz is no brainer, what about Patna - Muzaffarpur?

I am thinking to leave Purnea early & tackle it in the noon hoping less traffic.

And wish to start (on the very same day) from Patna around 12 at mid-night or max by 3am.

I have to go to Rajender Nagar. Does this road go straight to Rajender Nagar?

Thanks
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 13:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
If you have any specific query, post it here. Will try to answer for the benefits of others too.
Why pass through Chhindwara as well as Nagpur unless you have work in both places?

What were the night halts?

If I want to go to Bheda ghat perhaps the Burhanpur-Khandwa-Hoshangabad-Narsinghpur route will be better.
Old 17th November 2012, 14:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Are documents checked at entry/exit from Benaras? The only thing which my Car has is 25% tints, else everything is in place.

Purnea - Muz is no brainer, what about Patna - Muzaffarpur?
... mid-night or max by 3am.
They were not interested in tints. If you have BR/UP number and private car they will probably not stop or bother you. Mine is MH12. They wanted to look at my original car papers. I was carrying them but, was reluctant to hand it to them, hence, said I don't have them. I can show them attested photocopy and can produce original in 2-days. They accepted my argument that I've been driving for ~5 days and parking my car sometimes unattended on road. If I leave/carry originals in car I could be in deep trouble if the car was stolen. I think cop was right in asking for papers but, understood my situation well and let me pass. Off course I lost about 15 minutes in the discussion.

If you are x-ing these sections after 10PM, expect dense fog on some sections. MZF -> Hajipur -> Patna by regular NH is doable. Some parts are under constructions and have diversions, but, should not be a problem. You can manage about ~50 km/h average easily on this section if no fog. To bypass Patna I relied on Garmin and it did reasonably well. Also, I did not encounter heavy traffic on Gandhi Setu as it was late evening. One side of the bridge is opened and has decent surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
Why pass through Chhindwara as well as Nagpur unless you have work in both places?
If I want to go to Bheda ghat perhaps the Burhanpur-Khandwa-Hoshangabad-Narsinghpur route will be better.
I had night halts planned at Nagpur and Bhedaghat. You are right about alternative route.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 21:52   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Are diversions marked? Hope there is no steep drop from good road to bad one.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 19:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Be prepared to face heavy fog in many parts of Central India & UP.

NH3 is never a great road, and I just heard that some patch work has been done after the rains in the Dewas-Biaora-GUna-Shivpuri sector. But don't hope to do any fast drive & expect to curse the NHAI a lot by the rough roads. And the poor facilities. But once you hit the EW Corridor before Shivpuri, the roads are superb all the way.

Comfortable drives.
Allahabad-Rewa road is quite OK now, although there is one rough section near Katra.
Khajuraho to Burhanpur: the routing is going to be the problem! The direct route via Chhatarpur & Sagar are not great, and the Sagar-Bhopal road is terrible till Rahatgarh. Maybe it would be a better idea to connect from Bhopal to Indore & go to Burhanpur instead of battling the Bhopal-Betul road (which was bad some weeks ago)
12-13 day trip as under after reading your remarks-

Day 1 - Pune to Indore via Ahmednagar/Shirdi or Aurangabad.
Day 2 - Indore -Ujjain (visit temple) - Kota
Day 3 - Kota half day then Orchha.
Day 4 - Orchha half day - then Bithoor.
Day 5 - Bithoor- Kanpur half day - then Allahabad
Day 6 Allahabad
Day 7 - Varanasi
Day 8 - via Rewa - Bandhavgarh (just drive through without permit I suppose) to Jabalpur. Long stretch on non-GQ road.
Day 9 - Jabalpur.
Day 10 via Chhindwara- Multai to Chikaldara (small roads)
Day 11 - Gawilghur fort and afternoon - to Aurangabad.
Day 12 - Pune.

One day is extra in case it is needed.

Fog is going to be an issue. Plan to end travel by 5 pm daily. Short halts every two-three hours or so. My Honda City SMT has no fog lamps.

Have heard traffic on Rewa road is not too good.. what might be the specific problems? Is 520 km to Jabalpur too much to do on a day with fog? Will then need to halt somewhere.

From Kota to Varanasi expect excellent roads. What is the situation from Indore to Kota via Ujjain and the Mukandara Pass?

Any other anticipated problems?

Planning trip before Christmas.