Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 20:37   #46
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 779
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
...
Day 7 - Varanasi
Day 8 - via Rewa - Bandhavgarh (just drive through without permit I suppose) to Jabalpur. Long stretch on non-GQ road.
....
Have heard traffic on Rewa road is not too good.. what might be the specific problems? Is 520 km to Jabalpur too much to do on a day with fog?
....
Varanasi to Rewa by NH7 (via Aurai junction)?

This road upto Mauganj is very bad after that upto Maihar is quite OK. From Maihar (flyover under construction) on NH7 turn left on SH towards Barhi -> Bandhavgarh -> Umaria -> Kundam -> Jabalpur. This SH road is A class and shorter by about 80kms compared to the alternative via Beohari. But, very few traffic upto Kundam. You will cross wooded sections near Bandhavgarh/Umaria for some 10 kms and again some more later.

I found several small villages on this road hence, safety should not be an issue. But, after dark this stretch being lonely, getting help (in case of breakdown etc) can be problematic. Assume 11-12 hours driving time from Varanasi to Jabalpur. I was doing reverse route and reached Rewa around 9pm. My WagonR does not have fog lights either. Try to reach Kundam by sunset. Kundam to Jabalpur is max 1 hour and has some light traffic.

Quote:
Any other anticipated problems?
Can expect cops at UP-MP checkpost and around Varanasi town asking/requesting for vehicle papers, driving license etc.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 19th November 2012 at 20:46. Reason: minor correction
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:00   #47
BHPian
 
frequentflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 221
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Varanasi to Rewa by NH7 (via Aurai junction)?

This road upto Mauganj is very bad after that upto Maihar is quite OK. From Maihar (flyover under construction) on NH7 turn left on SH towards Barhi -> Bandhavgarh -> Umaria -> Kundam -> Jabalpur. This SH road is A class and shorter by about 80kms compared to the alternative via Beohari. But, very few traffic upto Kundam. You will cross wooded sections near Bandhavgarh/Umaria for some 10 kms and again some more later.

I found several small villages on this road hence, safety should not be an issue. But, after dark this stretch being lonely, getting help (in case of breakdown etc) can be problematic. Assume 11-12 hours driving time from Varanasi to Jabalpur. I was doing reverse route and reached Rewa around 9pm. My WagonR does not have fog lights either. Try to reach Kundam by sunset. Kundam to Jabalpur is max 1 hour and has some light traffic.

-BJ
The bad stretch that you describe to Mauganj from Varanasi is 107 km - quite a long one. If it is so bad, perhaps I should change the itinerary so that I go to Ayodhya from Bithoor (to visit it) and then come to Varanasi and then to Allahabad from where I take NH 27 to Rewa. Is this a better route?

I will have to take a halt as daylight and my driving hours will be from 6 am to 6 pm and I would like to be at Jabalpur by then. The distance from Allahabad to Jabalpur (even via Bandhavgarh) comes down from 520 to a more manageable 440 km now. Possible using NH 27? I rarely exceed 100 kmph as a matter of policy.

The prob of fog is bad even during day, so speeds will be low as the roads are largely unknown and will not be four lane to Jabalpur either.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 16:49   #48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BLR / Anywhere
Posts: 19
Thanked: 6 Times
Question Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

hi fellow BHPians.
Am planning a road trip from Siliguri to Nasik starting 13 may '13. Initial plan was to drive down from Tinsukia to Nasik, but due to an extremely horrible experience on the siliguri - hashimara - guwahati stretch in Feb 2013 , am getting my car (verna fluidic crdi) by truck till siliguri.

Route planned :

day 1 - Siliguri - purnia - darbangha - muzaffarpur - patna
day 2 - patna - arrah - mohania - varanasi - allahabad
day 3 - allahabad - kanpur- jhansi
day 4 - jhansi - kota - udaipur
day 5 - udaipur - amdbd - surat - nasik

I have about 6 days in hand and wish to make a relaxing trip with a halt for a day or 2 at allahabad and/or udaipur. Travelling with wife and 2 guinea pigs!!!

Query :

1. how is the road stretch from Purnia - Patna (from previous comments, it seems to be a good stretch of NE-xway.)

2. condition of both road and traffic on Patna - arrah - mohania (am clueless about this stretch. )

3. Rest of the route am sure is 4Lane and bliss to drive.( I did Mum-Allahabad on same route in 2010.)

4. Is it possible to combine route of Day -1 & 2 ( siliguri to allahabad : in single day)? this will give me an additional day halt.

Any suggestions are welcome but kindly expedite.
pramodsdixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 17:43   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

@Pramodsdixit:

Do the following route:
Siliguri-Purnia-Forbesganj-Darbhanga-Muzzafarpur-Gorakhpur-Lucknow-Kanpur-Jhansi-Kota-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Surat-Nasik.

About you deciding not to do Tinsukia to Siliguri by car makes no sense to me. I did Siliguri to Guwahati the day before yesterday and did not have any issues, either with traffic jams or with cops. As per your report, you did Siliguri-Hasimara-Bongaigaon-Guwahati which I would not take or suggest. The ideal route to do Guwahati to Siliguri is via Goalpara-Chapar-Gauripur-Boxiarhat-Cooch Behar-Falakata-Birpara-Mal Bazar-Sevoke-Siliguri. To beat the border traffic and cops, you can take a detour of about 3 kms just before the Assam Border post and it will take you through a country road into Tufanganj and it can be done in any vehicle as long as you're careful.

If you still intend not to do Guwahati to Siliguri by your own vehicle, I would still advice you not to take the Muzaffarpur to Patna route as you would need to cross Arrah which take a lot of time if you get stranded in traffic. Rather, do the Muzaffarpur to Gorakhpur to Lucknow route and get to Kanpur from there. 4 laned route and now the Lucknow bypass is operational too and it is a pleasure to drive on.
SumitB is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 17:51   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Take a look at these kml files. Check for the detour I took just before Boxiarhat. If you decide to take this route, you can do Guwahati to Siliguri in 8 hours with a break of about 30-45 mins.

Siliguri to Guwahati Best Route.zip
SumitB is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 12:27   #51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BLR / Anywhere
Posts: 19
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

@ Sumit,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Ok. Based on your feedback, i have decided to make it a 3600km road trip from Tinsukia to Nasik .

Yes, i did find it amusing in my last trip on the siliguri-hashimara-ghy route that there were no other vehicles on the road other than Multi-axle trucks, Bhutanese SUVs and my lone brand new Verna . i started from siliguri at 7am and reached ghy at 1am. I am sure the route suggested by you must be much better and must be used by rest of the other traffic. So am going ahead with it.

I need to make a halt at Allahabad, so still going with the Patna-Arrah-Mohania-Allahabad route. But will ensure to make it out of Arrah before 8am to avoid traffic.

Just one more confirmation needed:

Which is the best route to reach nasik after surat?

- Chikhli-vansada-saputara-vani-dindori-nasik
- Pardi- Mandva - Peint- Nasik
- or via Mumbai? (though very long,but i have travelled on this route quite a number of times)

At present the planned route comes to this :

http://goo.gl/maps/65riZ
with night halts at Guwahati, Siliguri, Patna, Allahabad, Jhansi, Udaipur
pramodsdixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 16:11   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodsdixit View Post
hi fellow BHPians.
1. how is the road stretch from Purnia - Patna (from previous comments, it seems to be a good stretch of NE-xway.)
Lovely rads except for some terrible roads around Forbesganj & Gopalganj.


Quote:
2. condition of both road and traffic on Patna - arrah - mohania (am clueless about this stretch. )
Crossing Patna region is difficult. Roads in Bihar are now superb, but they still go through small towns which can make a day time drive quite annoying.

Quote:
4. Is it possible to combine route of Day -1 & 2 ( siliguri to allahabad : in single day)? this will give me an additional day halt.
I have suggested below that you should reach Purnea the previous day instead of stopping at Siliguri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If you still intend not to do Guwahati to Siliguri by your own vehicle, I would still advice you not to take the Muzaffarpur to Patna route as you would need to cross Arrah which take a lot of time if you get stranded in traffic. Rather, do the Muzaffarpur to Gorakhpur to Lucknow route and get to Kanpur from there. 4 laned route and now the Lucknow bypass is operational too and it is a pleasure to drive on.
I will also go with Suit's suggestion to go via Gorakhpur, with the Allahabad stop thrown in. Fully 4-laned till Ayodhya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodsdixit View Post

I need to make a halt at Allahabad, so still going with the Patna-Arrah-Mohania-Allahabad route. But will ensure to make it out of Arrah before 8am to avoid traffic.
If Allahabad is your intermediary destination, you can try Purnea-Forbesganj-Muzaffarpur-Gopalganj-Kushalnagar-Gorakhpur-Ayodhya-Allahabad, excellent 4-laned roads (subject to some incomplete 4-laned roads around Forbesganj & Gopalganj) & the 2-laned Ayodhya-Allahabad road. You can do Purnea-Allahabad in <15 hours with some comfortable driving speeds.

Quote:
Just one more confirmation needed:

Which is the best route to reach nasik after surat?

- Chikhli-vansada-saputara-vani-dindori-nasik
- Pardi- Mandva - Peint- Nasik
- or via Mumbai? (though very long,but i have travelled on this route quite a number of times)
Please avoid Saputara route & stick to the Surat-Bardoli-Navapur-Dhule (NH6)-Nashik (NH3) route, which is well-laid & has good facilities & is simple to follow.


Quote:
with night halts at Guwahati, Siliguri, Patna, Allahabad, Jhansi, Udaipur
D1: Tinsukhia-Guwahati?
D2: Guwahati-Siliguri? - I would push it to Purnea which is another 3 hours drive from Siliguri, so that the next day becomes easier
D3: Purnea-Allahabad, instead of Patna. Even if you go through Patna, you should reach Allahabad the same night
D4: Allahabad-Kota or Chittorgarh is more realistic, Jhansi is too early
D5: From Chittorgarh, reaching Surat is not difficult
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 18:29   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Also be advised that there is road widening going on between Muzzafarpur and Patna and the route sees a lot of traffic during the day. Expect delays on this sector too.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 21:20   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -----****-----
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 1,457 Times
Default

The road between Muzaffarpur and Patna is being converted to a 4 lane one with about 70% work done. Bottlenecks exist at 2 railway crossings where the ROB is not yet ready and a few other stretches where there is some issue with land availability. Another bottleneck is Mahatma Gandhi setu which can witness long jams. Crossing this stretch can vary between 2hrs to 4-5hrs, better to avoid it.
Secondly, the roads around Gopalganj are not in good shape, say about 30 kms. Someone known to me did that stretch a couple of months back and he also confirmed about that state of road but this small stretch should not hamper your plan.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 21:28   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Secondly, the roads around Gopalganj are not in good shape, say about 30 kms. Someone known to me did that stretch a couple of months back and he also confirmed about that state of road but this small stretch should not hamper your plan.
I concur, around 20-30 kms around Gopalganj is in bad shape but doable. There is a railway crossing which does delay you by a bit but nothing much to worry about.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 22:30   #56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BLR / Anywhere
Posts: 19
Thanked: 6 Times
Cool Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

@hvkumar, sumit and bonecollector
thanks for all the details.
I am very well aware of the traffic conditions on roads. Been through it in feb. the route now stands modified as under:-

tsk-kaziranga-ghy-goalpara-binnaguri-sevoke-siliguri-purnia-muzaffarpur-ayodhya-allahabad-kanpur-jhansi-kota-udaipur-vadodra-surat dhule-nasik

http://goo.gl/maps/cz0Wc

a total of 3850km!!!

@hvkumar .. thanks very much for detailed reply. now i know why you are called SIR
am not very much in hurry. need to be in Nasik by 19th. so will go ahead with the halts as planned (except for patna, instead i'll now halt at muzaffarpur. I have friends to catch up everywhere, so would'nt mind a longer break)
pramodsdixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 14:21   #57
BHPian
 
Vipin Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 296
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodsdixit View Post
tsk-kaziranga-ghy-goalpara-binnaguri-sevoke-siliguri-purnia-muzaffarpur-ayodhya-allahabad-kanpur-jhansi-kota-udaipur-vadodra-surat dhule-nasik
I have a doubt. Probably Mr. hvkumar can clarify further.

Why can't you take the Ayodhya - Lucknow Shaheed Path - Kanpur - Jhansi route, instead of going to Allahabad and then take Kanpur - Jhansi highway?

Last week I did Lucknow - Kushinagar - Deoria (Mundera near Kushinagar) and back in a day. Roads are superb, and you get an excellent bypass at Gorakhpur, for about 33 kms. You have excellent eateries enroute, particularly in the Ayodhya/Faizabad area. You have Amrapali dhaba in Gonda district before you approach Sarayu bridge coming from Basti side, and you have Panchavati restaurant and hotel at Faizabad, and you have Teenmurthi restaurant after Faizabad on the Lucknow side.

At Kushinagar, you have places to stay, such as Hotel Imperial Kushinagar and Pathik Niwas (UPTDC). Decent places. And Kushinagar itself is a very neat and calm town, with beautiful Buddhist temples around.

Before Lucknow, you can take a turn to left onto the Shaheed path, and Kanpur is exactly 100 kms from the beginning of the bypass. From Ayodhya itself, all the way, it is four-laned.

But Unnao can give you a little traffic jam. So can Kanpur near the Ganga bridge till you climb the flyover towards Pokhrayan.

Happy motoring.

Vipin.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 6th May 2013 at 14:26.
Vipin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 19:26   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
I have a doubt. Probably Mr. hvkumar can clarify further.

Why can't you take the Ayodhya - Lucknow Shaheed Path - Kanpur - Jhansi route, instead of going to Allahabad and then take Kanpur - Jhansi highway?
Bec ause he wanted to go to Allahabad too.
If his plan was to go direct to Jhansi then yes, the Ayodhya-Lucknow-Kanpur route is the best
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 19:35   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

@promodsdixit: I would advise you to go via Siliguri-Islampur-Dalkhola-Purnia-Forbesganj rather than the current route. Rest all looks good till Kanpur.

http://goo.gl/maps/zX39R
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 23:07   #60
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BLR / Anywhere
Posts: 19
Thanked: 6 Times
Thumbs up Re: Pune to Muzaffarpur by road

@vipin and mr.hvkumar. thanks for all the guidance. will keep the ayodhya eat-outs in mind for sure .

@ sumit. yes that was a error in mapping. will surely not get off the 4L road.

thanks everyone for all the inputs. will soon put in an update/travelogue.

Also standby for some (off) roadie info on the faaaarrr east of the country. some great places and drive to offer on this side oops, end of the country.
pramodsdixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B) BoneCollector Route / Travel Queries 31 16th November 2017 15:03
Pune-Belgaum-Haliyal-Mapusa-Savantwadi-Kolhapur-Pune planning coolname218 Route / Travel Queries 8 12th December 2011 04:52
Pune to Tuticorin in a Petra : Part I -Pune to Bangalore jraj Travelogues 6 5th January 2008 20:16
Pune-Mahabaleshwar-Pune in my Fiat. karlosdeville Travelogues 51 19th October 2007 10:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks