Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 13:32   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 151
Thanked: 30 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post
@chikkars

when exactly you did the trip(date)? i was there in Tiruttani last weekend i.e 11th & 12th.
hope you enjoyed the trip
I was there the weekend of 3-5 Feb
chikkars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 12:51   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 555
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Preferred the Hosur route, as the Chitoor-Palamner-Mulbagal section has too much truck traffic and it is difficult to overtake the convoys, though the Mulbagal-Bangalore 4 lane is a dream to drive on and we made it in no time. No toll was being levied till now on that route. The shoulder work on the Hosur-Vellore stretch does keep your speed down.

Regards
Vijay
Hi Vijay,

Want to check how long it took for you to cover Tiruttani-Bangalore via Chitoor route. Also are the roads good all the way?
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 14:20   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Hi Vijay,

Want to check how long it took for you to cover Tiruttani-Bangalore via Chitoor route. Also are the roads good all the way?
It should take you between 4 to 5 hours in normal speeds without taking breaks. Would suggest Hosur route since Chitoor-Palamner-Mulbagal is not a divided highway and has heavy truck traffic. It takes same time on the Hosur route (of course depending on where you stay in Bangalore). In either case, the last mile (Walajah-Tiruttani or Chitoor-Tiruttani) are state highways and average to drive on with a couple of diversions where roadworks are on. However, no problem even with a low ground clearance car. Expect slow traffic and even jams in Sholinghur.

Regards
Vijay
root is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 07:20   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Friends,
With current road conditions, Would like to know which is the best route to Thirutani from Bangalore?

1: B'lore-Chitoor-Sholingur-Thirutani (244 KMs)
2: B'lore-K'giri-Vellore-Sholingur-Thirutani (297 KMs)

Route 1 - Not sure how are the roads in & around Chitoor. It was bad 6 months back (checked on my way to Tirupati from B'lore) and had lost considerable time passing Chitoor. Also not sure about Chitoor-Thirutani stretch.

Route 2 - 4L till Vellore. But not sure about Vellore-Chitoor stretch.

What would be the realistic time to cover the distance in these routes? Car is i10 and the idea is to complete the journey within 4.5 hours as I have my friend's reception to attend tomorrow at Thiruthani @ 8 PM. Starting from B'lore (ITPL) @ 3 PM.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 12th June 2012 at 07:22.
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 13:31   #20
BHPian
 
tht'snotME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

My suggestion

1: B'lore-Chitoor-Sholingur-Thirutani (244 KMs)

the road from Chittor to Tiruttani is a state highway and it is pretty good.

for me, normally it takes 4 to 4.5 hours from KR Puram to tiruttani(but i own a Punto Diesel ) including breaks.
tht'snotME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 03:08   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 1,177 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post
My suggestion

1: B'lore-Chitoor-Sholingur-Thirutani (244 KMs)

the road from Chittor to Tiruttani is a state highway and it is pretty good.

for me, normally it takes 4 to 4.5 hours from KR Puram to tiruttani(but i own a Punto Diesel ) including breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
It should take you between 4 to 5 hours in normal speeds without taking breaks. Would suggest Hosur route since Chitoor-Palamner-Mulbagal is not a divided highway and has heavy truck traffic. It takes same time on the Hosur route (of course depending on where you stay in Bangalore). In either case, the last mile (Walajah-Tiruttani or Chitoor-Tiruttani) are state highways and average to drive on with a couple of diversions where roadworks are on. However, no problem even with a low ground clearance car. Expect slow traffic and even jams in Sholinghur.

Regards
Vijay
Guys,
Get the general idea from your posts (& others) that the Mulbagal - Chittor stretch is the pain area due to heavy traffic. Any suggestions/thoughts on doing this part late night? Have any of you guys done it so? How is the stretch if one takes the Mulbagal - Venkatagirikota - Katpadi - Vellore (NH 75) detour?

Asking as I'll be dropping someone at the Bangalore airport and heading to Chennai - going via the Hosur route is going to take some additional 50-100 kms travel around Bangalore which I might save if I opt for the old Madras route.

Your inputs are solicited!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th June 2012 at 03:13.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 07:33   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Asking as I'll be dropping someone at the Bangalore airport and heading to Chennai - going via the Hosur route is going to take some additional 50-100 kms travel around Bangalore which I might save if I opt for the old Madras route.
Not worth it I would say. (But again that is my perception. There are folks who do drive at night) . That section is a 2-lane with hardly any hotels in that sectors for breaks.

Also its only a difference of 30-40km and not 100km between the two routes.
At max it can be 50km and that if you optimize the route from airport to Kolar via interior roads.

For that 50km its not worth taking the 2L. I am sure your Vento TDI will munch down that distance in no time !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 08:16   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 1,177 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not worth it I would say. (But again that is my perception. There are folks who do drive at night) . That section is a 2-lane with hardly any hotels in that sectors for breaks.

Also its only a difference of 30-40km and not 100km between the two routes.
At max it can be 50km and that if you optimize the route from airport to Kolar via interior roads.
I might just as well have PMed you and asked about the entry/exit options from Bangalore Thanks for all the help provided.

Well by GMaps the distance shows close to 80 kms. Hence my initial estimate. The additional distance is not that much an issue as the traffic of Bangalore is. By GMaps it shows the ideal route via state highway 35 (between Hoskote and Hosur). Is this the best alternative?

Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries-route.jpg

Now I don't mind any of the route(s), but I don't want to get stuck up in the city (inner) traffic!

Quote:
For that 50km its not worth taking the 2L. I am sure your Vento TDI will munch down that distance in no time !
I love driving at night. Seriously the 2L is not a deal breaker for me, but the heavy traffic is! Hence I'm actually egged by it, than the other way. However I would like to know what others have to voice about these routes hence the post, especially if someone has gone through these routes in similar conditions.

And I have done the Hosur - Krishnagiri - Chennai route once, by bike. I actually found it quite boring! Hence the enthu to try out the other alternative! As for the return journey, I'll be having my parents so I'm sure to take this route only.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th June 2012 at 08:21.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 08:27   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I love driving at night. Seriously the 2L is not a deal breaker for me, but the heavy traffic is! Hence I'm actually egged by it, than the other way. However I would like to know what others have to voice about these routes hence the post, especially if someone has gone through these routes in similar conditions.
I frankly dont know how is the traffic on NH4 (Kolar-Chitoor) at night. I know for sure, many many private buses ply for Tirupathi at night. Not sure of any trucks.

But having said that even GQ is not that great nowadays to warrant a night drive.
There are many diversions because of 6-lane and Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri is a pain to drive because of lot of trucks. But traffic eases out beyond Krishnagiri.

So both options have pros and cons. For bypassing Bangalore SH35 is the best option. But you dont have to go all the way to Hoskote to get to SH35 though.

BIAL-Whitefield-Varthur-Sarjapur-Attibele

Last edited by ampere : 28th June 2012 at 08:28.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 10:30   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 555
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

I came back from Chennai on Sunday night to Bangalore. The roads are excellent in chitoor route. The only issue I see as of now is the triple headlights of APSRTC buses. They have a huge light in the middle of the normal headlights as well. Not very sure on what's the purpose. But I could cover chitoor to north bangalore in 3 hrs.

Just saw ampere response. Actually there is a route from devanahalli to kolar. Gajadonga has taken it. Please PM him and he will give you details. Good roads till you reach Kolar where it is bad for 2 km. The route is devanahalli-vijayapura-kolar. It is the kolar chikkabalapur road SH 96. I have taken it once in Oct last year and found it good. Odd speed breakers here and there.

Last edited by prabhuferrari : 28th June 2012 at 10:34.
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:13   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Just saw ampere response. Actually there is a route from devanahalli to kolar. Gajadonga has taken it. Please PM him and he will give you details. Good roads till you reach Kolar where it is bad for 2 km. The route is devanahalli-vijayapura-kolar. It is the kolar chikkabalapur road SH 96. I have taken it once in Oct last year and found it good. Odd speed breakers here and there.
I think what he took was NH234 Chikballapur-Mulbagal.

The SH from Devanahalli to Kolar goes via Vijayapura which also I am told has a decent bypass. But I frankly don't how that area pans out at night.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:47   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 1,177 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I came back from Chennai on Sunday night to Bangalore. The roads are excellent in chitoor route. The only issue I see as of now is the triple headlights of APSRTC buses. They have a huge light in the middle of the normal headlights as well. Not very sure on what's the purpose. But I could cover chitoor to north bangalore in 3 hrs.
Thanks @Prabhuferrari. I guess I'll be surely opting out of Hosur option.

Quote:
Just saw ampere response. Actually there is a route from devanahalli to kolar. Gajadonga has taken it. Please PM him and he will give you details. Good roads till you reach Kolar where it is bad for 2 km. The route is devanahalli-vijayapura-kolar. It is the kolar chikkabalapur road SH 96. I have taken it once in Oct last year and found it good. Odd speed breakers here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think what he took was NH234 Chikballapur-Mulbagal.
Lol - both of you are suggesting two entirely different routes! Have PMed @Gajadonga. Will wait for his response, although I'm game to try either of them
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 13:17   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lol - both of you are suggesting two entirely different routes! Have PMed @Gajadonga. Will wait for his response, although I'm game to try either of them
He was looking at an alternative to Hyd-Chennai.
He drove from Hyd on Nh7, came till Chikkaballapur, took that NH234 to Mulbagal and drove through
NH234 all the way till Gudiyatam and joined GQ at Vellore.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:56   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,

Asking as I'll be dropping someone at the Bangalore airport and heading to Chennai - going via the Hosur route is going to take some additional 50-100 kms travel around Bangalore which I might save if I opt for the old Madras route.

Your inputs are solicited!
Agreed that driving through Bangalore City might be a pain, but again if this is late night, still worth the GQ as Bangalore City post 9:30 PM should be fine. As Ampere suggests, the 6-laning between Bangalore and Chennai on GQ can be a pain with diversions, but just did this on Saturday on the way back from Chennai , and as long as you keep a look out for the diversion sign boards and do not drive too fast, it is still easy driving compared to Chittoor - Mulbagal.

Regards
Vijay
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 19:42   #30
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Bumping this thread for current route conditions.

I have to get to Red Hills tomorrow. Sriperumbudur-Maduravoyal is as usual a pain. Was thinking of taking Chittoor-Tiruttani-Tiruvallur. I know Tiruvallur-Red Hills is good. Tiruttani-Tiruvallur used to be good, but not sure how it is now. So would like to know the current road conditions between Chittoor-Tiruttani and Tiruttani-Tiruvallur stretches.

Thanks!
luvurride is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2834 13th December 2017 23:50
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries deepakvrao Route / Travel Queries 4016 8th December 2017 10:15
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries Newpunter Route / Travel Queries 6 13th December 2010 15:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks