Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th February 2012, 20:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Hyderabad to Mallikarjun temple

Sorry folks, spent 30min searching but didn't get even part of the information I was looking for, so here is a new thread.

I'm expecting some relatives from Delhi to visit around next month's end. They want to visit Mallikarjun temple (they have a thing for Jyotirlingas) and then spend some time in Hyderabad.

Now I do have some clue over Hyderabad (though suggestions are welcome), but I don't know anything at all about places around Mallikarjun temple - and these guys are planning a day trip which from the looks of google maps seems quite inadequate to me.

So here's the deal -
  1. Is there enough reason to stay the night near the temple? Are there enough places to visit around there? What is the best way to do a trip if we plan it on the lines of:
      1. Day 1 start early morning from hyderabad and day 2 arrive late evening back in hyderabad and have dinner.
  2. What places should one visit and what are the options for food/stay around there. We will probably be hiring an Innova and I'll be driving my Figo.
  3. How are the roads from Hyderabad to this place? How much time should we expect
  4. Unrealted to the above: I'm also thinking of taking them to Warangal's thousand pillar temple on some other day. Does anybody have a better idea?

the people coming are mostly doctors nearing retirement age - in case you need socio-economic info.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 20:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad to Mallikarjun temple

@Vina, which Mallikarjun temple they want to see ? Srisailam ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 23:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Vina, which Mallikarjun temple they want to see ? Srisailam ?

yes, that is a jyotirlinga. I saw on the google maps and it seems to be bang in the middle of the national forest and 100km upstream from the dam, so the idea of going there early morning, spending one hour in the temple and returning to Hyderabad by night seemed kind of stupid to me.

But there isn't much information that I could find, so I thought people who have been there may tell better.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 00:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

This might help:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...srisailam.html (A Short Quick Trip to Srisailam)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 10:48   #5
rkg
Senior - BHPian

There is dam at srisailam itself on river Krishna. It is a hydroelectric project.

Srisailam is one of the 12 jyotirlinga temples in India.

Infact it is the only place which finds a mention in Adi Sankara's literary works.

It is here Adi Sankara wrote Soundarya Lahari at place called Hatakeswar, 4 km for srisailam

There are plenty of guest houses, temple it self has some. One can book them online also.

::Welcome To Srisaila Devasthanam ::

Places to visit are

Sri Sailam Dam Great to view

Sakshi Ganapati Temple It is assumed that Ganapati will keep a note of people visting here.

Main Temple - Mallikarjuna and Brahmaramba temple

Patala Ganga You can take steps to the river or take ropeway. You can also add a boat trip to the dam or caves.

Mahelle Teeratham A very beautiful waterfall. It is about 50 km from Sri Sailam on the way to Hyderabad.

Sikharan A temple at peak. Also, a place to see the whole Srisailam

Palidhara Panchadhara Adi Sankaracharya temple and a stream of water.

Hathakeshwar temple A small temple. There is a temple of Shani also.

Uma Maheshwaram temple Take a 10 km diversion.

Ishta Kameshwari temple Travel apprx 15 km to the temple. It is advisable to go by Jeep. can go there only by jeep. takes 3 hours

Akkamahadevi Caves Take a boat ride from patala ganga and walk to the caves
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 11:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Only if you'd know that the Mallikarjuna Temple with Jyotirlinga near Hyderabad is situated at Srisailam, you would have got tonnes of option. Search for "Srisailam" in the TBHP search and see the results. One such thread I am copying here for your reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...srisailam.html

P.S: Mods may please merge this thread to the "Hyderabad-Srisailam" thread.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 11:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
[*]Unrealted to the above: I'm also thinking of taking them to Warangal's thousand pillar temple on some other day. Does anybody have a better idea?[/list].
Thousand pillar temple is worth visiting and so is Bhadrakali temple. Though there is some worship going on at the thousand pillar temple it is not a fully functional temple as worship cannot take place in temples with even a small damage. However the temple has beautiful sculpture and incredible mirror polished pillars. If your guests are interested to do puja, thousand pillar temple is not worth it.
But Bhadrakali temple is fully functioning temple.
There are also the ruins of the warangal fort. It is at this ruins that the sil thoranam stands (which is used as a logo by AP Government).
Ramappa temple is almost 2 hour drive in a isolated location from the city but is the real attraction for the lovers of temple sculpture.
SKavuri is offline   Reply With Quote