Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th August 2012, 13:20   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use

Expressways charges should on break even basis (including interest). Govt should see how it can do something like that instead of handing out thousands of acres of land to private individuals who stand to gain from its appreciation and also from toll charges.

Also, I think even poorer people's time is invaluable. Cant the govt include the people who lose their land as co-owners of such an enterprise?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 13:34   #137
BHPian

Not sure of the exact reasons but my parents just travelled on the expressway this morning and had their tyre just ripped of all rubber. Fortunately nothing happened. They also saw lot of other cars on the side with tyre problems? anyone who has travelled recently can may be provide more information
markmytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 13:43   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Not sure of the exact reasons but my parents just travelled on the expressway this morning and had their tyre just ripped of all rubber. Fortunately nothing happened. They also saw lot of other cars on the side with tyre problems? anyone who has travelled recently can may be provide more information
Were the tyres more than six year old. Also, under-inflation is another likely cause. Remember a similar thing happened in the beginning on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway until people got wiser.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 13:51   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Were the tyres more than six year old. Also, under-inflation is another likely cause. Remember a similar thing happened in the beginning on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway until people got wiser.
Parents are really not Driving enthusiast so cannot really comment on the real reason but they said they saw a lot of other cars with similar situation. Advised them to drive at 60-70 kmph and not get carried away.
Hoping some one from team-bhp travelling that route to give us more information.
markmytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 14:20   #140
BHPian

YE is mostly cement construction with patches of black top tarmac on culverts and some places. We are generally travelling short distances or long distances with breaks etc which helps tyres cool off. But here its a long continous drive for which tyres should be good and properly inflated.

I have generally seen people not taking care of rotation, treads and correct tyre pressure. The neighbourhood tyre puncture walla will generally over inflate yr tyre which is a recipe for disaster at long distances.

It would be good for us to advise our friends, parents etc about proper tyre care. Else we are at mercy of JP officials on the YE.
dhondusaxena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 14:32   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Can it not be argued that the tyres were not in a fit state for driving? If so then the owner / driver was in contravention of the MV act.

There is no way that under inflation (over inflation is less of a problem) or running very old rubber or rubber without treads can be excused. You are not only risking your own life but also that of other road users.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 19:48   #142
BANNED

Since we are discussing tyres here, I have one question. Will a 1 year tubeless (XM1+ Michelin) running with tube inside due to sidewall cut while returning from Lansdowne qualify to be driven on YE? My tyrewallah, a reputed shop, says that I can. What do the Gurus here say?
anandjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 22:37   #143
BHPian

If you are travelling at high speeds 90+ then I will not take a chance with a tyre having a weak sidewalls. Itís even more important to have a good condition of tyres on express highways where you will be doing sustained high speed driving at a stretch.
Remember at high speeds tyres have to take lot of stress and strains and any weakness will definitely show up sooner than later , probably thatís what so people having problems on the new YE.
One more thing what comes to my mind is awareness of the tyre speed rating do people know what it means and limitations.
In many countries, law requires that tires must be specified, and fitted, to exceed the maximum speed of the vehicle they are mounted on, with regards to their speed rating

Tyre Rating Mph km/h
Q 100 160
R 106 170
S 112 180
T 118 190
U 124 200
H 130 210
V 149 240
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 22:52   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

------, one live dog strolling on expressway, expected to be dead by evening too---
LOL, that was one heck of an expression!

And the picture is worth a million words!
vnabhi is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 23:25   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Expressways charges should on break even basis (including interest). Govt should see how it can do something like that instead of handing out thousands of acres of land to private individuals who stand to gain from its appreciation and also from toll charges.
I thought these highways and expressways were on a BOT(Build operate transfer) basis. The land remains with the Govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
LOL, that was one heck of an expression!

And the picture is worth a million words!
Of the crushed dog ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 23:57   #146
BHPian

I did a round trip of YE on Sunday and felt that the surface from Agra till Mathura (while returning) isn't as smooth as rest of the expressway. I felt some undulation in the surface. The concrete surface does make it very loud.

My biggest concern was that people were pushing their cars without understanding its limits. I saw a number of hatchbacks (not the premium ones) being driven at speeds well in excess of 120 and that too without maintaining proper distance from the car in front. With the number of dogs or remains of dogs that were there, one should anticipate emergency braking or swerve thus, maintain proper distance. Another issue is lane driving, I saw a bike on extreme right lane traveling at 60 KMPH and a Tata magic (or something similar) on the right lane too. These can be extremely dangerous as I also saw a Black C-class (with FFE, could hear it from a distance) traveling at 180+ on the same lane.

It's great to see such magnificent roads being built in India but looking at the way many people are driving on it, it feels we probably aren't ready for world class roads. I really wish the responsible authorities spend time in educating people about driving mannerisms/rules instead of just looking at ways to make money.

Last edited by Biraj : 15th August 2012 at 00:25. Reason: typo
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 00:20   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Another issue is lane driving, I saw a bike on extreme right lane traveling at 60 KMPH and a Tata magic (or something similar) on the right lane too. These can be extremely dangerous as I also saw a Black C-class (with FFE, could hear it from a distance) traveling at 180+ on the same lane.

It's great to see such magnificent roads being built in India but looking at the way many people are driving on it, it feels we probably aren't ready for world class roads.
Which is why I said before that as a motoring nation, we are yet to mature. Some people think that their time is more valuable than money without considering where we are and how much smarter or dumber the people around us are. When we end up in a pile, I believe no amount of time or money is going to help us then. We can start blaming the trucker or our own car (like the S class that crashed)or even ourselves, there is very little hope in that.

Quote:
I really wish the responsible authorities spend time in educating people about driving mannerisms/rules instead of just looking at ways to make money.

Somewhere in the other thread about the first T-BHPians driving on the YE, I heard that the friendly toll collectors were warning the motorists with a grin that they should not exceed 100 Kmph, so I believe the system is in place, hopefully.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 15th August 2012 at 00:22.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 02:06   #148
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use

Quote:
I also saw a Black C-class (with FFE, could hear it from a distance) traveling at 180+ on the same lane.
Even, We did a round trip of YE on sunday and that was a C63 AMG, not an ordinary C class. We caught the car at public convenience point and clicked pics and a video too, You can check it in our YE drive thread .

And ya, I agree, people were pushing their cars to the limits. We saw a XYLO overtaking us at 3 digit speed and driver was driving rash, overtaking from left, cutting lanes and all, There were plenty of them.

I hope they enforce high penalties after 15th August for people exceeding the speed limit, so that people avoid going over 100 on e-way

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 15th August 2012 at 02:10.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 02:41   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Somewhere in the other thread about the first T-BHPians driving on the YE, I heard that the friendly toll collectors were warning the motorists with a grin that they should not exceed 100 Kmph, so I believe the system is in place, hopefully.
I like your optimism. It will take more than a warning with a grin, we need to run a proper campaign to educate people about driving properly. It's not the speed that kills but the way that speed is attained and then maintained that kills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
that was a C63 AMG, not an ordinary C class. We caught the car at public convenience point and clicked pics and a video too, You can check it in our YE drive thread .

And ya, I agree, people were pushing their cars to the limits. We saw a XYLO overtaking us at 3 digit speed and driver was driving rash, overtaking from left, cutting lanes and all, There were plenty of them..
All I could see was a black car zipping past me when I too was on 100-110. The shape seemed like a C-class so, I mentioned it as one. I am fine if people push their cars to the limit, the problem arises when they cross the limits without knowing it.

With the sheer number of such bad drivers of NCR roads, it would take a long time before we start seeing sensible driving on our roads. Hope that day comes soon and we all get to enjoy our drives.
Biraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 10:49   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Independence is not about freedom to do as you please, but about responsibility to do what is right, without someone needing to wield a stick. Happy Independence Day folks!

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-yegods.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote