Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th August 2012, 16:06   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Not a little that helped a lot. Thank you so much. Hopefully I will enter an 'open' expressway. That was very neat
No problem, I hope you do manage to get on the expressway - NH2 is an absolute nightmare, especially on the weekends. I wonder why the Expressway is closed today though - maybe because of the farmer's agitation? Not sure - perhaps someone else can shed more light on the situation.
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 23:23   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86
I am leaving tomorrow morning around 7 can someone please re-confirm?
Thanks!
I was at the WE today at around 1:30 in the afternoon. When i reached the mathura toll booth the attendant told me that I am lucky because the YE ahead was just reopened after the agitation. He said that the jam is symbolic by the farmers but can take around 2 hours each day. There is no specific timings or location of the "bandh".
So, you could be lucky/unlucky as per your stars tomorrow
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 07:23   #168
BHPian

Hi All,

experienced the wonderful drive on the yamuna expressway on 17th. took half day and left my office in noida sec 2 at 12:45pm. had to leave for my hometown ,jhansi which is 200km further from agra.
it took 2hrs 5 min to reach agra.

the yamuna expressway starts after the Noida-Greater noida expressway and after covering about 22 km , one has to take left to enter the YE. as experienced by fellow bhpians , the drive is simply the best i've ever done.

Some highlights.

The road is arrow straight all the way till agra,has guard rails and fencing throughout. Road surface is rough and generates considerable road noise, this is a big flaw IMO. certain sections made of tarmac offer silent ride.

friday being a week day their wasn't much traffic. saw just two bikes all the way till agra, in both cases riders without helmet!

i saw a merc c class, hyundai verna, i20 and two swifts zooming past me with my speedo at 100kmph. and i'm sure they were not penalized at any of the three toll booths. it seems enforcement of speed limit is yet to begin!

below are few pics i took. please pardon the average quality pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0333.jpg  

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0334.jpg  

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0337.jpg  

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0338.jpg  

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0339.jpg  

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0342.jpg  

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0344.jpg  

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0345.jpg  

Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-dscn0346.jpg  

jaspal singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 09:56   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
...the jam is symbolic by the farmers but can take around 2 hours each day. There is no specific timings or location of the "bandh".
So, you could be lucky/unlucky as per your stars tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster99 View Post
...NH2 is an absolute nightmare...
News about the farmers' agitation:
Yamuna e-way leads nowhere as farmers maintain pressure
Locals block Yamuna Expressway for 3 hrs - Hindustan Times

Looks like the Faridabad-Palwal-Kosi jam and traffic mess has now shifted to Agra, and the Yamuna E-way is squarely being blamed!
Will Yamuna Expressway be a curse for Agra? - Times Of India

And no, the YE authorities will NOT fetch you fuel if you run out of it, despite all that you plead: Out of fuel on e-way, family sweats for hours - The Times of India
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 10:16   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
Hi All,

Hi,

Not trying to find fault, but the fifth pic where you have posted your car (I assume) standing, does nt deem to be a designated resting place. As per normal conventions, stopping and standing on expressways is not permitted except at designated areas unless the vehicle breaks down or some other unnavoidable reasons.

Is nt it the same in YE? If it indeed is a resting place, or if there is no such rule then I am sorry to nit pick.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 10:19   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
Hi All,

experienced the wonderful drive on the yamuna expressway on 17th. took half day and left my office in noida sec 2 at 12:45pm. had to leave for my hometown ,jhansi which is 200km further from agra.

How are the road conditions from Agra to Jhansi.
How is approach road from the exit of Yamuna expressway to Jhansi highway.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 10:26   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
1, News about the farmers' agitation:

2, Looks like the Faridabad-Palwal-Kosi jam and traffic mess has now shifted to Agra, and the Yamuna E-way is squarely being blamed!

3, And no, the YE authorities will NOT fetch you fuel if you run out of it, despite all that you plead: Out of fuel on e-way, family sweats for hours - The Times of India
1, The E'way was blocked due to some agitation linked to the Assam / NE stuff.

2, What seems to be happening is that the Delhi lot is now coming in from the South instead of the North (Mathura). If they are headed for the Taj then it may help inside the city.

3. There were reports that there were two or three mobile refuelling rigs. So if you go onto the E'way with near empty tanks you are bound to face the music. Even otherwise I will be surprised if there are more than two refuelling facilities / service areas in either direction when they are set up. More may not be viable.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 12:31   #173
BHPian

Quote:
News about the farmers' agitation:

Looks like the Faridabad-Palwal-Kosi jam and traffic mess has now shifted to Agra, and the Yamuna E-way is squarely being blamed!
Yes, as I thought it was the agitation that was causing problems. It's a pity that anytime something world class (and it could be anything - not just roads) is developed in India, all sorts of problems and annoyances (most of which could be addressed pretty easily if the government actually starts to bother about, um, doing its JOB) eventually crop up, which end up souring the entire deal altogether. Just think - the road is barely a couple of weeks old, and we're already hearing tons of negative reports about the entire situation!

And blaming the Expressway for the jams to me reeks of the government sticking it's head into the sand (as usual) and trying to shift blame for problems it's itself responsible for. One would have thought that they'd be thrilled with the idea of more tourists (think of the revenue they'd earn), and use some of that revenue to actually develop some of the other infrastructure in Agra, which as the article rightly says is pathetic as of now. But no, they instead spend their time blaming the Expressway!

I know it's easy to sit back and say this - the ground realities are different - but until those ground realities change, I fear India can never ever become a developed nation, or even come close to it, despite what our political leaders say.

Quote:
And no, the YE authorities will NOT fetch you fuel if you run out of it, despite all that you plead: Out of fuel on e-way, family sweats for hours - The Times of India
That seems fair enough, especially if one's coming from Delhi - not that hard to tank up before the trip, and given the excellent mileage one would get on that road, one tankful is MORE than plenty to get even the smallest hatchback over to Agra. Plus I'm sure they'll open up some more gas stations along the way pretty soon.

BTW, are there are plans to open any CNG stations along that route? Just wondering - though it wouldn't surprise me if the answer is a huge NO - the government gets to make way more money on petrol!

Last edited by Zenster99 : 20th August 2012 at 12:34.
Old 20th August 2012, 12:42   #174
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Lot of authentic informaiton about the expressway. Thanks to all.
This Eway exhibit India's capabilities in the Infrastructure space especially to foreign dignitaries and celebrities who travel to TajMahal during their to visit to India.

my 2 cents

1. why cant a manual (kind of driver manual - 1 or 2 pages) be distributed before entering the Eway. Just giving the safety tips like compulsory wearing of helmets, seat belts, overtaking on the right lane etc...
2. Lot of farmers have indirectly contributed to this and some part of this toll charges should directly go for their development

Living in Chennai, we do not see any major growth of these kind here. Even the Ennore expressway construction is stopped. Getting into Chennai from south (from other parts of TN) ,from West (Bangalore) and from North (Andhra) is a nightmare.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 09:01   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I stand corrected. Seems yesterday there has been some agreement about allowing Tractors (and who knows bullock carts) on the E'way.

Mera Bharat Mahaan!!
Old 21st August 2012, 09:26   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Seems yesterday there has been some agreement about allowing Tractors (and who knows bullock carts) on the E'way.
Who needs agreements?
Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use-tractor.jpg

This is a cropped image from our YE trip on 11 August, shot from a moving car. Please excuse the poor quality.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st August 2012 at 09:28.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 10:57   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Great. I hope they are charged tolls at least equal to those for light buses / trucks.
Old 21st August 2012, 12:34   #178
BHPian

Allowing 2 wheelers on expressway is disastrous for both 2 wheelers and others. They just can not match the speed and easy maneuverability creates further problems.

I hope they will soon ban 2 wheelers, 3 wheelers and tractors from Yamuna Expressway to save a few lives.

Good to hear that they have speed guns and other speed control measures in place. they should strictly follow it. Not having any such checks on Mumbai Pune Expressway is already proving disastrous. Everyday there is at least one accident and average one life is lost everyday. (please correct me if I am wrong)

New (& immature) drivers' eyes pop out when they see the tarmac of expressways and adrenaline level shoots up. Soon they are driving at 160 kmph+ and have no idea how to control vehicle and how much distance is needed to stop. lack of trees and otehr such references close to road edge further aggravate the problem.

I sincerely hope that Yamuna Expressway does not start claiming lives as the Mumbai Pune expressway.

All users, Please drive safely and control your speed.
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 12:42   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I stand corrected. Seems yesterday there has been some agreement about allowing Tractors (and who knows bullock carts) on the E'way.

Mera Bharat Mahaan!!
Mera Bharat Mahaan indeed. . .

This is by far the worst news I've heard so far about the expressway - if tractors have started to ply on that road, pretty soon bullock carts, diesel autorickshaws and what-not will follow suit. And before we know it, an excellent expressway (as of now) will turn into a "typical" Indian highway replete with all forms of "traffic", and the very purpose of the expressway will be defeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Allowing 2 wheelers on expressway is disastrous for both 2 wheelers and others. They just can not match the speed and easy maneuverability creates further problems.

I hope they will soon ban 2 wheelers, 3 wheelers and tractors from Yamuna Expressway to save a few lives.
Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately even banning them might not be the solution - unless the ban is strictly enforced. For instance, bikers are technically banned from the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway, but I've seen plenty of them zipping in and out of traffic regardless. And we all know how many accidents occur on that road, despite the excellent road surface!
Old 21st August 2012, 21:57   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
How are the road conditions from Agra to Jhansi.
How is approach road from the exit of Yamuna expressway to Jhansi highway.
The exit of yamuna expressway is on Delhi-Kanpur highway. one has to take a U turn after 400m from the exit point to enter agra. it took me around 35 mins during afternoon traffic to cross agra and enter NH3 towards gwalior. From here it takes further 2 hrs to cover approx 120 km. the road near Dholpur is underconstruction and is in a dismal state. this is approx 5 km of bad stretch.
The nightmare beings as soon as one enters gwalior! it will take min 45 mins to cross gwalior to enter jhansi highway. This stretch of 110 km is an absolute nightmare. will take min 3:30 hrs, irrespective of the type of vehicle(SUV, car, bike!)
In short first 200 km in 2 hrs(via YE), and the next 200km in 6 hrs..
jaspal singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote