Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st August 2012, 22:03   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Yamuna Expressway - EDIT : Now opened for public use

Did a day trip to Agra yesterday, encouraged by the newly opened expressway. Left from Gurgaon at 8:10 am and was at Taj Mahal around noon. I've driven extensively on Pune - Mumbai E-way hence it wasn't a novelty per se.

Few observations:

a) Very little traffic on my way to Agra. Noticed just one tourist bus on entire route. Maybe the toll rates are yet to sink in.

b) None of the restaurants are functional / near functional. Stopped at the refreshment point after first toll booth. The hall meant for restaurant was locked. However a true blue entrepreneur has opened a Dhaba behind the stop point and a small opening has been made in the shutters to allow people to walk down the embankment and satisfy their hunger / thirst. Saw couple of gentlemen (with families) buying cold drinks, disposable glasses, namkeen etc. They desperately wanted ice but same was not available that early in the morning.

c) Saw families who'd parked on the curb, spread bed sheets on the grass and were enjoying a mini picnic eating their breakfast. Guess what's the use of refreshment points.

d) Lots of tyre marks on the road ending up at the divider. Tyre bursts?

e) Fences have already been broken at numerous places. Saw couple of village women folk crossing the expressway with bundles of grass on their heads.

f) Stuck to 100 kmpl on my way to Agra. My wife (who's averse to speeding) commented, "Looks like you're the only one sticking to the speed limit".

g) Saw few accidental cars lying on the road / being lifted by a crane (of course many of the drivers had hit brakes middle of the road to watch the procedure) / being carried away in YE authority's tractor trolley.

h) On my way back, entered expressway around 5 pm. Through with the day's work, the male folk from the nearby villages were all resting on the parapets of small underpasses gawking at passing cars / strolling on the road / exercising. This was omnipresent on the entire stretch.

i) Started driving at around 110 kmpl (with couple of intermittent busts) on my way back; was still overtaken by host of cars ranging from ML350, Civic, Swift (majority of them were way over 120; with one guy refusing to back down even at 150 kmpl after he felt that me checking my car's acceleration after a toll booth was an invitation to race), Santro, Etios, Alto etc. Thankfully saw two Maruti 800s and both didn't overtake me. For the record, I was in a Laura TSI. Just didn't feel like speeding, though normally I'm not a slouch on the road.

j) The YE seems a hot spot for photography. Saw lot of young girls posing with the cars and boy's clicking.

As the traffic increases, the folks will need to enforce discipline.

Cheers!

Last edited by bloodred : 21st August 2012 at 22:05.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 22:05   #182
BHPian

Hello every one,

Dont want to take credit or boast anything.

I too drove on the expressway way before everyone on the press day. i must admit i too drove at insane speeds like everyone and did manage to agra taj mahal to vasant vihar new delhi in 2 hours flat yes 2 hours.

on the way to agra since we were shooting for the press it took some time.

its a world class highway but there were atleast 5 occasions i saw someone coming wrong way.

its suicidal to go on the wrong way. i dont understand how come we indians take it so lightly going the wrong way.

i drove on the 25th july. on the awesome tarmac..

Agra-Greater Noida Expressway to open soon - Videos - India - Uttar Pradesh - IBNLive

thats my friend with my car being used for the shoot.
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:18   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

If they allow tractors and maybe even bullock carts on the highway then do we not have the right to

1. demand reduction of toll to the normal 50-60p per km

2. The term Expressway should be removed from the name.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:44   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If they allow tractors and maybe even bullock carts on the highway then do we not have the right to

1. demand reduction of toll to the normal 50-60p per km

2. The term Expressway should be removed from the name.
+1 The only reason I would be willing to spend close to Rs2/Km apart from the road quality, is the fact that I dont have to jostle with Bullock carts and tractors on the road. If thats not the case, why on earth would I not prefer the original route? Expressway (If it would still be called that way) would turn equally messy in no time.
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:46   #185
BHPian

My parents traveled back to Agra from Ghaziabad around 10 days back from the Yamuna expressway, it took them around 2 hours to complete the entire expressway, BUT got stuck in a jam where the expressway opens up in Agra and took them another 1 hour to reach home (Dayalbagh),

How feasible would it be to take an exit at Mathura and take the normal NH2 to Agra because Mathura and Agra stretch on NH2 is pretty much trouble free ?

Any idea on what the toll would be if I exit from Mathura ?
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:04   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
How feasible would it be to take an exit at Mathura and take the normal NH2 to Agra because Mathura and Agra stretch on NH2 is pretty much trouble free ?

Any idea on what the toll would be if I exit from Mathura ?
This was what also struck my mind. My uncle-in-law is in the lawyer's colony which is even more at the Mathura end.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 08:48   #187
BHPian

Woke up to read about first death on e-way. Sad. May the departed soul RIP and the injured have a speedy recovery.

Wondering what speeds Zen would have doing to crash into a moving truck and bear such an impact. Any idea if along with speeding cars, they may fine truckers / other vehicles that venture onto the E-way in evening without proper tail lights and reflectors?
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 10:43   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Woke up to read about first death on e-way. Sad. May the departed soul RIP and the injured have a speedy recovery.

Wondering what speeds Zen would have doing to crash into a moving truck and bear such an impact. Any idea if along with speeding cars, they may fine truckers / other vehicles that venture onto the E-way in evening without proper tail lights and reflectors?
Exactly my thoughts. Only I am also wondering about the tyres (age, inflation, etc) and also the general state of maintenance. I have seen a lot of crashes on European highways where speeds are higher, but I may add fatalities are far fewer than on out highways. I even wonder whether they were wearing their belts.
Old 27th August 2012, 09:59   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the photograph. The entire rh side is ripped off. I find both explanations - Media that he hit a truck from the rear, and JP that he hit the central divider and jumped difficult to understand.

Could it be that he side swiped a truck with both vehicle going in opposite directions?? Smell a cover up here!

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th August 2012 at 10:01.
Old 4th September 2012, 14:35   #190
BHPian

A question: Do concrete roads really cause tyre bursts?

From pictures of the surface posted by a BHPian in another thread, I noticed that surface has been serrated for additional friction. Maybe that is the culprit? As it is even plain concrete roads feel to be stickier to drive on.

During my visits to Germany, I noted that Autobahns were all conventional asphalt roads. Though some sections were concrete.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/city/920...una-e-way.html

Quote:
The recently opened Yamuna Expressway, which was opened for a signal free ride in a slashed time between Delhi and Agra, is being misused as a high-speed adventure ride for youths, resulting in accidents.

In a blatant incident, an early morning adventure ride turned awry for a group pf four undergraduate students, who were injured when their speeding BMW collided with a divider at Yamuna expressway on Sunday morning and overturned. The four are residents of Delhi and were headed to Agra through the Expressway, when their BMW Sedan collided with the divider.

The incident occurred at 6 am, when the car driven by Puniya (18) lost control and hit a divider on the Expressway. The group of four friends was on their way to Agra and the incident happened when they had barely covered 18 km on their way. "Barely 18 km after their journey on the Expressway, the group of four students Puniya (18), Govinda (19), Sana (18), Nischint (18) met with an accident in their BMW car. The group has informed that they had attended an late night party at Shangri-la hotel in central Delhi, when suddenly they decided to head to Agra. They left for Agra about 6 am, when Puniya, who was behind the wheels, lost control of the speeding vehicle and collided with the divider. The car was at high speed as it overturned at the zero point on the highway near Raneja Village," said a police officer.

A patrolling van on the Expressway took notice of the car and immediately informed the highway ambulance. The injured were immediately rushed to the Kailash Hospital in Greater Noida, where Puniya was declared critical. "Due to the accident, Puniya has suffered maximum injuries. She has suffered injuries on head and chest and is admitted in ICU, but is out of danger," said a doctor with the Kailash hospital. While Puniya and Nischint are Delhi University students, the other two are pursuing studies with the Amity University. The youths are residents of up market south Delhi colonies.

Dodging the speculations, the police officials confirmed that the students were not in the inebriated state, which could have resulted in the accident. The officials are suspecting that the one of the tyres of the car burst resulting into the accident. The car is registered on Nischint's father's name, who works with a multi national company. The damaged car was cleared using a crane from the spot. The police have not registered a case in the matter.

It is pertinent to note that Yamuna Expressway, which was thrown open just 22 back, has resulted into a dozen deaths already. Most of these accidents have happened due to bursting of tyres of a vehicle. According to the car experts, when vehicles zip through the expressway in a very high speed, the tyres start heating up. The entire stretch being signal free and devoid of any jams, motorists do not reduce the speed and this results in bursting of the tyres.
aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 14:45   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me add that an S-rated radial is good for 113mph (I think about 180 kph), V, W, H are even higher. It is the poor maintenance and under inflation which are the culprits.

This is exactly what happened on the Mumbai - Pune expressway in the beginning.

As for the BMW accident I blame the parents - giving a BMW to an 18 year old is asking for trouble. Obviously the kid could not have had a license for even one year. So it is criminal on part of the parents to allow them a BMW. Under-age driving is another crime. I am proud to say that I did not allow either of my children behind the steering wheel till they crossed 18.

Last edited by sgiitk : 4th September 2012 at 14:47.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 15:27   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
A question: Do concrete roads really cause tyre bursts?
I highly doubt it. The article speaks about tires heating up at high speeds and this leading to tire bursts - but I doubt this as well. If driving at high speeds without a break (in the form of traffic jams, crappy roads that make one reduce speed, etc) would cause tires to burst, we'd have accidents left, right and center in most developed nations, where driving at high speeds for long periods of time is the norm and not an aberration like it is in India.

As for tires heating up, they do so at low speeds at well - simply driving is enough to heat them up to a degree. With respect to the vehicles being referred to, I somehow suspect the vehicle's maintenance is at fault, provided there isn't any other cover up going on. I've driven at quite high speeds in my old Zen for many a highway drive (mostly NH1 or the Jaipur highway when it comes to high speeds for a period of time), and have never encountered any problems - if anything, I seemed to require more frequent air-tops when I was in stop and go city traffic, as opposed to smooth highway driving!

Cheers,
Rahul
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 22:23   #193
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys anyone knows, If restaurants are operational on Y.E or not ?

I plan to hit this road on sunday, But just till first toll plaza and back, So is there anyplace where i can have something to eat ?

And also, From where i can take U turn back to delhi ?

Thanks in advance
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 23:03   #194
Senior - BHPian

Sameer,
IMO, if its just for the DRIVE, then YE is the most boring road to drive on.
The restaurants were not fully functional until last weekend, and even if they have i don't think they will be anywhere close to what we have on MUM-PUN expressway anytime soon.

Try Gurgaon -> Faridabad eway. If you want to have a nice sunday morning drive, smooth tarmac, lots of twisties and more scenic than YE. Total 50kms, up and down.

Last edited by kpzen : 21st September 2012 at 23:07.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 23:41   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sameer,
IMO, if its just for the DRIVE, then YE is the most boring road to drive on.
The restaurants were not fully functional until last weekend, and even if they have i don't think they will be anywhere close to what we have on MUM-PUN expressway anytime soon.

Try Gurgaon -> Faridabad eway. If you want to have a nice sunday morning drive, smooth tarmac, lots of twisties and more scenic than YE. Total 50kms, up and down.
Thanks alot sir for advice , But we couple of Bhpians are planning to drive by BIC ( f1 circuit ) and Back, with breakfast, A quick meet you can call it.

So, that's why the query.

Gurgaon-faridabad road, Next sunday maybe

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote