Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th December 2014, 23:49   #16
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Madurai - Mysore - Ooty - Madurai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by raka1o View Post
NPV - how about road condition of #2 - this very important for me, what is the best place to halt for breakfast
Road conditions good on this route. As Ampere says, Dharapuram is the best bet for a break. I had stopped at one of the hotels there for lunch on my way back from Palani back in 2006 but I don't remember the name of the place
Am sure you will find decent options there.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 14:32   #17
BHPian

Default re: Madurai - Mysore - Ooty - Madurai : Route Queries

Bumping up the dormant thread, was looking for quick input on options for route from Coonoor to Madurai.

Going by last few posts and info gathering here & there, I felt the better of the options for mentioned circuit is:
Coonoor - Mettupalayam - Annur - Avinashi - Palladam - Dharapuram - Dindigul - Madurai
On this I haven't gotten any kind of feedback on Dharapuram - Dindigul stretch, most of other parts seems fairly decent (further recent reinforcement would help).

Pitching in another thought - whether it might be better to hit NH7 before Dindigul, either at Aravakurichi or at Karur (via Palladam - Kangayam).
deepv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 16:59   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Madurai - Mysore - Ooty - Madurai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
... I felt the better of the options for mentioned circuit is:
Coonoor - Mettupalayam - Annur - Avinashi - Palladam - Dharapuram - Dindigul - Madurai
Did the above circuit previous weekend, a little modified version.
Coonoor - Mettupalayam - Annur - SH165 - Palladam - Dharapuram - Oddanchatram - SH37 - NH7 - Madurai

The decision to turn towards Palladam immediately after Annur turned out to be very good, neat roads without much traffic.

The other detour to take SH37 after Oddanchatram towards Madurai (instead of going towards Dindigul) wasn't great.
I had gotten feedback that about 10kms before Dindigul is 'real bad', so took the plunge here.
The roads per se weren't very bad but had its share of potholes and bad stretches (but manageable),
however it got late for us in the evening on this and roads weren't marked at all which became a pain.
Old 12th January 2016, 07:38   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Coonoor - Mettupalayam - Annur - SH165 - Palladam - Dharapuram - Oddanchatram - SH37 - NH7 - Madurai

The decision to turn towards Palladam immediately after Annur turned out to be very good, neat roads without much traffic.
Sorry could not respond before your drive. SH165 is good option. But some time back it wasnt the case. You cross the 4-lane NH47 at Karumathampatti which was under construction and so was the railway flyover at Somanur. But its all good now.

Quote:
The other detour to take SH37 after Oddanchatram towards Madurai (instead of going towards Dindigul) wasn't great.
Another option here is: At the cost of another 25-30km, you can drive down to Arvakurichi from Dharapuram via Mulanur. And here you join the NH7 4-lane. The rest of the distance can be covered in a breeze.

This is what I mean: Route Link
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 00:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
.. SH165 is good option. But some time back it wasnt the case.
Ok .. that might be the reason everywhere I saw suggestions to go till Avinashi bypass, then take right.

Quote:
Another option here is: At the cost of another 25-30km, you can drive down to Arvakurichi from Dharapuram via Mulanur. And here you join the NH7 4-lane. The rest of the distance can be covered in a breeze.

I had thrown this as an option in my initial post above, considering the same reason that I would be hitting NH7 earliest.

But with some bad feedback on 10km stretch before Dindigul combined with decency of SH165, I got carried away into taking SH37.
Like I said not a bad option as such, but should only be taken in daylight.
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry could not respond before your drive. SH165 is good option. But some time back it wasnt the case. You cross the 4-lane NH47 at Karumathampatti which was under construction and so was the railway flyover at Somanur. But its all good now.

Guys

Got few queries for my boss who will be doing a Chennai -Namakkal-Ooty-Trichy-Chennai trip next week.

1. Namakkal to Mettupalayam
what will be the best option here

2. Mettupalayam to Karur
Will this route work
Mettupalayam--> Annur -->Somanur-->Karanampettai-->Palladam-->Kangeyam-->Vellakoil-->Karur

Thanks in advance for the gyaan
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:41   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Got few queries for my boss who will be doing a Chennai -Namakkal-Ooty-Trichy-Chennai trip next week.
Does he have some work in Namakkal that requires a visit or stop over there ? If not, Chennai-Ullundurpet-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam is the straight forward option.

If Namakkal visit is a must, he can take Namakkal-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam which is superb (4 lane roads upto Avinashi bypass).

Else, even Namakkal-Karur-Vellakoil-Kangeyam-Uthukuli-join NH47, then Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam (not too sure about current conditions of Kangeyam-Uthukuli road).

OR

Namakkal-Karur-Vellakoil-Kangeyam-Palladam-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam (this route is good from what I know, mostly NH67 from Karur to Kangeyam and Palladam).

*There may be other state highway road options from Namakkal to Kangeyam as seen on google maps but I'm not sure about the road conditions.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd June 2016 at 10:45.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 11:17   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Else, even Namakkal-Karur-Vellakoil-Kangeyam-Uthukuli-join NH47, then Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam (not too sure about current conditions of Kangeyam-Uthukuli road).
OR
Namakkal-Karur-Vellakoil-Kangeyam-Palladam-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam (this route is good from what I know, mostly NH67 from Karur to Kangeyam and Palladam).
I think the reason for Namakkal can be a visit to the famous temple. As about the route to Ooty; I think both Karur and Salem may not be required. Extra distance + more town traffic.

Namakkal-Thiruchengode-Bhavani - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Ooty

Quote:
2. Mettupalayam to Karur
Will this route work
Mettupalayam--> Annur -->Somanur-->Karanampettai-->Palladam-->Kangeyam-->Vellakoil-->Karur
Anything would be fine.

Annur/Avinashi/Palladam or Annur - Karumathampatti-Palladam

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2016 at 11:20.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:

4 lane conversion work is going on between Namakkal and Thiruchengode. So it is better be avoided.

So you can take the Kangeyam route option as mentioned in the NPV's post. From my experience the SH/MDRs are very well maintained in this region. So you can consider the Velur-Kodumudi-Muthur-Kangeyam route to connect to NH 67.

Last edited by Landkruzer : 2nd June 2016 at 15:59. Reason: typo
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:29   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
4 lane conversion work is going on between Namakkal and Thiruchengode. So it is better be avoided.
This is news! Thanks for bringing this up. Any specific reason this section is being 4-laned? Cant think of one.
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
This is news! Thanks for bringing this up. Any specific reason this section is being 4-laned? Cant think of one.
Namakkal/Thiruchengodu region is kind of lorry operators hub. Namakkal is known for the lorry workshops (body building, repair etc)(not to miss the poultry business) and Thiruchengodu has probably the highest number of lorry owners. (watch for the TN-28 lorries next time you hit the highway ). So moderate to heavy traffic was always there.
Landkruzer is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:45   #27
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Namakkal-Thiruchengode-Bhavani
This is the default route that gmaps suggests, but I wasn't too sure about conditions and hence suggested the NH routes via Salem and Karur and also called out that I'm not aware of the SH road conditions, good that @Landcruzer shared the update here on the widening work on this route
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:47   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This is the default route that gmaps suggests, but I wasn't too sure about conditions and hence suggested the NH routes via Salem and Karur and also called out that I'm not aware of the SH road conditions, good that @Landcruzer shared the update here on the widening work on this route
The SH used to be very good. And yes, this region is high of traffic (as we ourselves have seen on NH67 around Karur-Kangeyam-Palladam). But I was not aware of the 4-lane work on-going.
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:15   #29
BHPian

Here is another alternate route:
https://goo.gl/maps/JExBAj8rZm52

Here are the key pointers to watch out for:
1. Head toward Karur on NH7. Turn right just after the Cauvery bridge at Velayuthampalayam. Once inside, ask anyone for Noyyal Road.
2. At Noyyal, turn right. This is the Kaur-Erode road. Few kms down, you'll reach Salaipudur. Right here takes you into Kodumudi. Instead head straight.
3. You'll reach a 4 way junction which has a speed breaker(there is a petrol pump to your right). This place is called Otthakadai. Turn left here to get to Muthur, then to Kangeyam.
4. Before reaching Kangeyam, you'll first join into the Karur-Kangeyam highway. Turn right here.
5. You'll reach a 4 way junction with signal. Head straight here.
6. Few kms down, you'll reach a T-junction. Take left here and then immediately a right to get to Palladam.
7. When you reach Palladam, leave the first junction which has a right turn and take right at the second one. This junction is the bus stand junction.
8. This will latch you onto Avinashi 4lane.
9. Stay on the service road so you can take the Annur road right turn at the second flyover.

Hope this detail helps IF your boss ends up taking this route! This is my home turf and I can vouch for the condition of roads!
luvurride is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:25   #30
BHPian

There was a KSRTC bus whose route was Madurai->(Coimbatore/Erode?)->Mysore->Madikeri->Mangalore... I have taken this in Madikeri->Puttur stretch to goto Dharmastala from Madikeri. Anyone know about this bus, and is this route still around? It was an interesting route to take an end-to-end trip as it climbs up the ghats (Dhimbam, I believe as via any other route is very unlikely) and then descend again at Sampaje ghats !!!
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote