Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th April 2012, 10:01   #1
BHPian

Default Pune to Kota - Route Info needed

Hello All,
I might have to travel on 14th April, Saturday from Pune to Kota, Rajasthan by Car.

I searched forum but couldn't collect good info about this particular route even in pieces, so asking here.

I searched google maps and here is the result:
Pune -> Ahmednagar by nagar road -> Malegaon -> Shirpur -> Indore -> Ujjain -> Jhalawar -> Mandana -> Kota.

According to my Info Indore will be the best place to stay during night.
need suggestions for alternatives and best economic decent hotel to stay there.

I am planning to leave pune by 6.00 AM.
Indore is approximately 620KMs from Pune.

then again start from Indore at 6.00 AM for Kota which is 320 KMs.

I need your suggestions about the route conditions.

Will it be really possible to cover the whole distance in one go? i can stretch my driving limit in night till 12.00. I have Vento Diesel.

PS: Mods please merge if similar thread already exists.

Last edited by Nicky : 12th April 2012 at 10:06.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 11:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Pune to Kota - Route Info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I searched google maps and here is the result:
Pune -> Ahmednagar by nagar road -> Malegaon -> Shirpur -> Indore -> Ujjain -> Jhalawar -> Mandana -> Kota.
Instead try this:
Pune -> Ahmednagar by nagar road -> Malegaon -> Shirpur -> Pithampur-Lebad-Ratlam-Neemuch-Nimbahera-Chittorh-Kota.

Lebad-Chittorh-Kota is a beautiful 4-lane. (NH79/NH76)

Route Link

Even if you break at Indore, the next day go through Ratlam/Chittorh and not Ujjain.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead try this:
Pune -> Ahmednagar by nagar road -> Malegaon -> Shirpur -> Pithampur-Lebad-Ratlam-Neemuch-Nimbahera-Chittorh-Kota.

Lebad-Chittorh-Kota is a beautiful 4-lane. (NH79/NH76)

Route Link

Even if you break at Indore, the next day go through Ratlam/Chittorh and not Ujjain.

Thanks for the input, I just asked one of my office drivers and he said i better go via Ahmedabad, Gujarat. The distance is almost 1100 KMs via Gujarat route. I'll have to pay almost 1000 Rs. for toll taxes.
but will i be able to travel in this distance in 18 hours?
Old 12th April 2012, 12:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I just asked one of my office drivers and he said i better go via Ahmedabad, Gujarat. The distance is almost 1100 KMs via Gujarat route. I'll have to pay almost 1000 Rs. for toll taxes.
but will i be able to travel in this distance in 18 hours?
I thought you had some work at Indore. If not even I would recommend going via Gujarat.
The roads and conditions are much much better.

Notes:

- Get your details on Bombay bypass
- Know how to cross Bharuch with the bridge on Narmada (It can be quite a jam there)
- Break at AMD/Udaipur
- Then take the road via Udaipur/Chittorh
- Tolls will be there no doubt!

Last edited by ampere : 12th April 2012 at 12:06.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you go via Ahmedabad, Udaipur & Chittorgarh, fantastic high-speed 4-laned roads all the way.

You can easily reach Udaipur the same day from Pune, with an early morning start (4-5 am), avoiding the Ankleshwar-Bharuch bridge jams.

Next morning, within 3-4 hours you can be in Kota. If you are charged up, why not do the whole drive in just a day too?

Here is the route plan for you (it was made for someone driving from Madras to Ranthambhore, it covers Pune-KOta section also). See the attached file.

You can read this link to understand how to bypass Bombay
https://sites.google.com/site/hvkuma...bypass---south
Attached Files
File Type: xls Bala-TN-RJ.xls (73.0 KB, 449 views)

Last edited by hvkumar : 12th April 2012 at 12:10.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I thought you had some work at Indore. If not even I would recommend going via Gujarat.
The roads and conditions are much much better.

Notes:

- Get your details on Bombay bypass
- Know how to cross Bharuch with the bridge on Narmada (It can be quite a jam there)
- Break at AMD/Udaipur
- Then take the road via Udaipur/Chittorh
- Tolls will be there no doubt!
I just called up my friend in Ahmedabad and fixed the stay there. Actually it was long pending visit to him. So i can cover it now.
Your suggestion really made my trip more fruitful now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would suggest you go via Ahmedabad, Udaipur & Chittorgarh, fantastic high-speed 4-laned roads all the way.

You can easily reach Udaipur the same day from Pune, with an early morning start (4-5 am), avoiding the Ankleshwar-Bharuch bridge jams.

Next morning, within 3-4 hours you can be in Kota. If you are charged up, why not do the whole drive in just a day too?

Here is the route plan for you (it was made for someone driving from Madras to Ranthambhore, it covers Pune-KOta section also). See the attached file.

You can read this link to understand how to bypass Bombay
https://sites.google.com/site/hvkuma...bypass---south
Thanks a lot hvkumar. I think you made my next few days with this info. what a detailed route info.
I am actually now planning to stay at my friend's home in Ahemdabad, which was long pending planned trip.
I am really not very good driver in night because i can't control my sleep.

I just would like to get some clarification at one place in this excel file:

it says NH8 bypass, Avoid. and instead i should go like Ankleswar BP->River Narmada Bridge -> Bharuch BP ?

Last edited by Nicky : 12th April 2012 at 12:49.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just would like to get some clarification at one place in this excel file:

it says NH8 bypass, Avoid. and instead i should go like Ankleswar BP->River Narmada Bridge -> Bharuch BP ?
Yes, on the NH8 Ankleshwar-Bharuch bypass, one of the 2 bridges across the River Narmada is under repair and the spot sees 5-6 km long jams which can take 30-60 minutes to clear even if you are agile enough to drive wrong side of the road and so on. Therefore, I have suggested that you avoid the bypass and go through Ankleshwar & Bharuch town, crossing the Narmada through the old "Golden" Bridge. The route is also explained in the route plan. You have to turn off NH8 at the first entry point to Ankleshwar town, drive through the town, cross the River, drive through a bit of Bharuch town and rejoin NH8 on the other side.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 15:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, on the NH8 Ankleshwar-Bharuch bypass, one of the 2 bridges across the River Narmada is under repair and the spot sees 5-6 km long jams which can take 30-60 minutes to clear even if you are agile enough to drive wrong side of the road and so on. Therefore, I have suggested that you avoid the bypass and go through Ankleshwar & Bharuch town, crossing the Narmada through the old "Golden" Bridge. The route is also explained in the route plan. You have to turn off NH8 at the first entry point to Ankleshwar town, drive through the town, cross the River, drive through a bit of Bharuch town and rejoin NH8 on the other side.
Thanks a lot for the explanation. Now i think whole route is clear to me.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

With a 3 AM start from pune, ahmedabad should be reachable by 3 pm with ease.

3 AM start is significant, as you will not encounter much traffic in the thane - vapi section.

You can stop for breakfast at mc donalds, empress mall vapi. This should be 830 AM.

You can directly stop for lunch at ahmedabad.

As suggested by HVK sir, go thru ankaleshwar town to avoid huge jams in the bypass.

I had completed pune delhi pune thru same route in the first week of this month under the guidance of HVK sir.

Follow the excel provided by HVK sir,you will reach your destination, it is as simple as it can get.

Have a safe trip. !!!

Last edited by F150 : 12th April 2012 at 15:45.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 16:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
With a 3 AM start from pune, ahmedabad should be reachable by 3 pm with ease.

3 AM start is significant, as you will not encounter much traffic in the thane - vapi section.

You can stop for breakfast at mc donalds, empress mall vapi. This should be 830 AM.

You can directly stop for lunch at ahmedabad.

As suggested by HVK sir, go thru ankaleshwar town to avoid huge jams in the bypass.

I had completed pune delhi pune thru same route in the first week of this month under the guidance of HVK sir.

Follow the excel provided by HVK sir,you will reach your destination, it is as simple as it can get.

Have a safe trip. !!!
You are absolutely right about the traffic. but honestly if i start at 3 AM, i will not be able to drive comfortably as my sleep won't be completed by then. I am really very weak when it comes my sleep.
But i think i can start at 5 AM.
Old 12th April 2012, 17:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are absolutely right about the traffic. but honestly if i start at 3 AM, i will not be able to drive comfortably as my sleep won't be completed by then. I am really very weak when it comes my sleep.
Don't delay further. Else you may run into morning peak hour traffic as you cross Bombay-Thane region. Try to cross it before 8 am.
Old 12th April 2012, 18:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

HVK Sir,
how would be the traffic on PUNE MUMBAI expressway at 530 AM, assuming nicky takes 30 mins to hit the expressway ? When I started at 3 AM,I hit the expressway at 324 AM and it was literally empty, excepting few trucks.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 18:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One solution to this is travel to Thane tomorrow evening. Even if you start from Pune at 7 PM, you will reach by 9.30 - 10 PM. Sleep in some decent lodge close to or on Ghodbunder road and push off by 5 - 5.30 AM on Saturday morning. This way, you can actually think about reaching Kota on Saturday night itself.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 12th April 2012 at 18:56.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 19:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
HVK Sir,
how would be the traffic on PUNE MUMBAI expressway at 530 AM, assuming nicky takes 30 mins to hit the expressway ? When I started at 3 AM,I hit the expressway at 324 AM and it was literally empty, excepting few trucks.
Yes, expressway will be empty and you can make excellent uninterrupted speeds, reaching the end of eway in less than an hour! Beyond Ghodbunder too, you will encounter light traffic.
Old 12th April 2012, 20:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
One solution to this is travel to Thane tomorrow evening. Even if you start from Pune at 7 PM, you will reach by 9.30 - 10 PM. Sleep in some decent lodge close to or on Ghodbunder road and push off by 5 - 5.30 AM on Saturday morning. This way, you can actually think about reaching Kota on Saturday night itself.

Cheers,
Vikram
Actually i need to take stay in Ahemdabad at my friend's house. this is recent development.