Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 23:52   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Sorry for the typo I meant to say Sivakasi town which has narrow roads.I had
travelled from Sattur-Sivakasi-Srivilliputtur-Tenkasi.So I do not know the roads
between Virudunagar-Sivakasi.If it is widened then it is a better option than by
travelling between Sivakasi-Sattur.
Actually, we can skip sivakasi, if one needs to travel from Virudunagar to Srivilliputtur and go via Alagapuri which is shorter. This route will mainly avoid sivakasi & save easily 20+ mts to pass through sivakasi town.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 21:23   #32
BHPian
 
airguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 347
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Rajapalayam was a little hard to cross : a few diversions/one way and we lost time ( and someone else lost the way ) - did in second week of June. Thirumangalam to Tenkasi bypass ( or outskirts ) took about 2hrs 45 mins.

What are the food options in this area ( Rajapalayam/Tenkasi/Shencottah ) ? We had food at a newly opened roadside Mess : food was warm, tasty and healthy ( none of us suffered with aftereffects ) : this is just before the left turn from the junction that goes into Tenkasi town.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 18:49   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Rajapalayam was a little hard to cross : a few diversions/one way and we lost time ( and someone else lost the way ) - did in second week of June. Thirumangalam to Tenkasi bypass ( or outskirts ) took about 2hrs 45 mins.

What are the food options in this area ( Rajapalayam/Tenkasi/Shencottah ) ? We had food at a newly opened roadside Mess : food was warm, tasty and healthy ( none of us suffered with aftereffects ) : this is just before the left turn from the junction that goes into Tenkasi town.
I have always had food at Hotel Anandas in Rajapalayam. I stayed there in 2nd week of june and even this time it was good.

I can say one of the safe food restaurant available in that route between Thirumangalam to Tenkasi and it was always good and no after effects as well.

Yea, this year they introduced one way in the road going towards Tenkasi, so its quite confusing. Have to ask & go, or just follow a Tenkasi Bus !

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 1st July 2013 at 18:50.
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 22:04   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Again, Back from 1 day Bangalore-Tenkasi-Bangalore trip by bus.

Excellent roads all throughout !

NH208 is indeed a pleasure to drive road. The scenic winding roads and greenery all around are great spot for photographers.

In the return journey from Tenkasi towards Bangalore, had an opportunity to eat at Hari's restaurant just before Thirumangalam Toll booth.

IMO, The location of this restaurant is perfect in this region as there not much decent family restaurant available right on the NH7 unless someone goes inside madurai city.

Good food, Completely separate veg & non-veg restaurants, Clean rest rooms, Nice kids play area and sufficient parking space - Pretty Neat !

Those who are traveling down south towards kanyakumari can also easily reach after cross the Thirumangalam toll by just taking right turn just in front of the restaurant. No need to go far to take a U turn. Would recommend this restaurant definitely.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 08:26   #35
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,779
Thanked: 7,453 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
NH208 is indeed a pleasure to drive road. The scenic winding roads and greenery all around are great spot for photographers.
But how is the traffic on this road? Always kept hearing about very high traffic and crossing small villages is a big pain on this stretch?

Was this section re-tarred recently?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 11:18   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But how is the traffic on this road? Always kept hearing about very high traffic and crossing small villages is a big pain on this stretch?

Was this section re-tarred recently?
Yes ampere, traffic is quite high on this road, but it depends on the time of the day. There are few big villages/small towns to cross through but IMO they are not that painful to crib about. For a scenic beauty drive on a cloudy day looking at Podhigai hills all around, I think that compromise can be made

This road is well maintained almost all throughout the year AFAIK from my periodic visits, inspite of good rains in most part of the year that could damage roads.

However, what to watch out for in this 2L stretch is one must be careful in overtaking and driving as accidents occur regularly, due to winding roads & few trucks drive in middle of the road and occupy some portion of your lane too just because they want to avoid tree branches hitting their heavy load.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 25th November 2013 at 11:21.
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 20:35   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Any idea on current conditions on Couratlam-Shencottai-Madurai?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 20th May 2015 at 20:38.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 21:25   #38
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,779
Thanked: 7,453 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any idea on current conditions on Couratlam-Shencottai-Madurai?
Are you referring to the regular NH208? Madurai-Sriviliputtur-Rajapalayam-Thenkasi?

Its a decent road but expect lots of town traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 20th May 2015 at 22:00. Reason: Spelling Corrected
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 23:20   #39
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 485
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any idea on current conditions on Couratlam-Shencottai-Madurai?
It is in pristine condition from my last drive a couple of weeks ago. Traffic is very sparse during the day, but nights will be difficult with oncoming traffic. The road has a good number of curves interspersed between arrow-straights, hence it could be misleading if you don't watch your speeds. Also the towns will take some time to cross as there are no bye-passes.
luvurride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 23:31   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,779
Thanked: 7,453 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
It is in pristine condition from my last drive a couple of weeks ago. Traffic is very sparse during the day, but nights will be difficult with oncoming traffic. The road has a good number of curves interspersed between arrow-straights, hence it could be misleading if you don't watch your speeds. Also the towns will take some time to cross as there are no bye-passes.
Sparse traffic? I thought it was always difficult to drive there with local town traffic on the way. Especially Madurai-Srivilliputhur. Any changes of late?

PS: Road was known to be good.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 23:41   #41
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 485
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sparse traffic? I thought it was always difficult to drive there with local town traffic on the way. Especially Madurai-Srivilliputhur. Any changes of late?

PS: Road was known to be good.
My onward journey was in the afternoon and hence the traffic was very sparse. I reached Srivilliputhur in less than an hour from Hotel Hari's in Tirumangalam! But my return was just around dusk/nightfall and took long.

In all the southern towns you don't find people roaming around in the brighter part of the day. It is either before 10 or after 4 you get into trouble!
luvurride is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 18:05   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Hi,

Which route will be faster for Madurai – Thenmala section?
- Madurai – thirumagalam –rajapalayam – tenkasi – thenmala > NH 208
Or
- Madurai – tirunelveli – tenkasi – thenmala> NH7 + SH (c.60 kms extra)
Does staying longer on NH7 help on the timings? Thanks in advance
enzo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 22:50   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
Hi,

Which route will be faster for Madurai – Thenmala section?
- Madurai – thirumagalam –rajapalayam – tenkasi – thenmala > NH 208
Or
- Madurai – tirunelveli – tenkasi – thenmala> NH7 + SH (c.60 kms extra)
Does staying longer on NH7 help on the timings? Thanks in advance
Madurai-Thirumangalam-Srivilliputtur-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi-Themala is fastest. The roads are broad 2L so should not be a big problem. Watchout for lorries crossing the lanes or driving in the middle of roads to avoid tree branches hitting their load. If it rains heavily (which is what is happening currently), you exercise caution as visibility will be low in the winding roads.

On the other hand, if you drive towards Tirunelveli, its a long detour and sticking to NH7 really doesn't benefit you back in terms of time. Tirunelveli-Tenkasi will easily takes an hour in 2L which you can save directly by going with 1st option.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 18:57   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Madurai-Thirumangalam-Srivilliputtur-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi-Themala is fastest. The roads are broad 2L so should not be a big problem. Watchout for lorries crossing the lanes or driving in the middle of roads to avoid tree branches hitting their load. If it rains heavily (which is what is happening currently), you exercise caution as visibility will be low in the winding roads.

On the other hand, if you drive towards Tirunelveli, its a long detour and sticking to NH7 really doesn't benefit you back in terms of time. Tirunelveli-Tenkasi will easily takes an hour in 2L which you can save directly by going with 1st option.

-Ravi
Thanks Ravi for the detailed response,

Is the exit onto NH 208 well marked ? on google maps its seem NH7 flysover NH 208 after Thirumangalam . i guess we have to take the service road well before the flyover and make a turn onto NH 208. Landmarks if any will be helpful. thanks
enzo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 12:06   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
Thanks Ravi for the detailed response,

Is the exit onto NH 208 well marked ? on google maps its seem NH7 flysover NH 208 after Thirumangalam . i guess we have to take the service road well before the flyover and make a turn onto NH 208. Landmarks if any will be helpful. thanks
The exit for NH208 is not very well marked unfortunately. Yes you have to take the service road which will have a small sign board reading Kollam (or) Courtallam (or) Tenkasi. Don't recollect the name on top of the head. Don't take the flyover.

Keep driving in left and watch for the boards after you cross Thirumangalam Toll. The exit may be in less than 10 kms i guess.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cochin - Kutallam (Courtallam) naveen.raju Travelogues 18 25th June 2013 14:47
Solo Bike Ride To Thenmala, Palaruvi Falls & Courtallam Falls voyageur Travelogues 10 28th April 2013 22:13
Chennai - Courtallam - Chennai in my Intercity Express swiftdiesel Travelogues 3 16th December 2012 23:48
Ernakulam Tenkasi Route Info required mogambo Route / Travel Queries 2 14th December 2009 17:18
Bangalore-Nagpur-Bangalore tsk1979 Travelogues 16 1st August 2007 14:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:33.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks