Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th May 2012, 13:22   #1

Post Talakaveri to Poompuhar - Planned roadtrip along the banks of Kaveri

I have had this wish / dream for many years now. A wish to do a roadtrip all along the length of the river Kaveri.
This time around, I plan to do this in mid-June in my 4-wheeler with 3 other friends of mine. Here's my tentative plan as of now.

2 days for Karnataka stretch and 2 days for Tamil Nadu stretch.

Day 0: Overnight drive from Bangalore (place where I live) to Talakaveri (source of Kaveri).

Day 1: Relevant places in Kodagu district (Talakaveri, Bhagamandala, Bailakuppe, Nisargadhama), KRS, with a night halt in Srirangapatna. Totally avoiding Mysore. Play with elephants at Dubare camp should be a huge plus!

Day 2: T. Narasipura, Talakad, Shivanasamudra, Sangama (Mekedatu) with a night halt in Kanakapura. Visit to hydro-electric power station at Shivanasamudra will be a huge plus!

Day 3: Hogenakkal, Stanley Reservoir, Bhavani, Srirangam with a night halt in Trichy. This must be a tiresome day with a lot to cover. But fingers crossed!

Day 4: Grand Anicut (1st century stone dam), Tanjavur, Thiruvaiyaru, Kumbakonam, Darasuram (UNESCO World Heritage site - temple architecture), Gangaikondacholapuram (UNESCO World Heritage site - temple architecture), Poompuhar (Beach & Cultural center with focus on Tamil epic Silappadikaram). Trying to hone up my architecture photography skills on this day.

Day 5: Drive back to Bangalore

Working out the finer details and nitty-gritties. Will post a travelogue once I am thru with the roadtrip.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th May 2012 at 15:51. Reason: 2 Smileys per post only. Please read the rules before proceeding. Thanks
kishor_narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 21:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Talakaveri to Poompuhar - planned roadtrip along the banks of Kaveri

According to me the places are so much in different directions, that you would lose too much time driving.

- You can spend one extended weekend in Talacauvery/Coorg.
- In the second circuit you can do Hogenakkal/Stanely Srinrangam/Tamjore.
By first evening you should be in Srirangam. By second day you would be done with Srirangam/Tanjore.

- You can do Shivasamundaram/Sangam on another weekend.

May as I ask any reason why these choice of places in one road trip?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 10:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Talakaveri to Poompuhar - planned roadtrip along the banks of Kaveri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
He is tracing Kaveri river from its origin to where it joins the sea.
~~~~~
Day 2, instead of Kanakapura, you could stay at your home in Bangalore and leave next morning to Hogenekkal.

Kaveri runs alongside Musiri-Trichy road, am not sure how it gets from Bhavanisagar to there. Same with Mettur-Bhavani, though its not really visible from the road. From Trichy you should be taking the Kallanai road which branches off a little past Tiruvanaikoil.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 12:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishor_narayan View Post
Day 4: Grand Anicut (1st century stone dam), Tanjavur, Thiruvaiyaru, Kumbakonam, Darasuram (UNESCO World Heritage site - temple architecture), Gangaikondacholapuram (UNESCO World Heritage site - temple architecture), Poompuhar (Beach & Cultural center with focus on Tamil epic Silappadikaram). Trying to hone up my architecture photography skills on this day.

Day 5: Drive back to Bangalore
HI Kishor, As I havent been to the rest of the locations in your plan, I restrict myself in discussing my idea about the place that I visit for my vacations.
Trying to cover all this in one day is a hectic task. Where do you plan to stay the day before? The following is assuming that you stay in Trichy the previous night itself.
1. Kallanai (Grand Anaicut) is about 12 - 15 kms on the Tanjore route from the TPJ Railway station. You will need 30 mins to drive and another 60 - 90 mins to walk around & shoot pictures. This being the peak summer time, you cant see much / any water in the dam.
2. 1 hour from there you reach Tanjore. If Brahadeeshwara Temple is the only one in agenda, well & good. Spend 2 -3 hrs at the temple & the museum inside there.
3. Thiruvaiyaaru - No idea boss.
4. Kumbakonam (Temple City) - Oppiliappar Temple is a must. Need 30 minutes if there is no rush. All Navagraha temples are in & around Kumbakonam, but cant be covered in 1 day.
5. Gangaikondacholapuram & Poompuhar are on the either side of the Tanjore - Chennai highway. Visit poompuhar by 3:00 PM, so that you will reach Gangaikondacholapuram before sunset, coz you need light for shooting pics. Planning to stay there or keep driving? To stay at night, Jayamkondam / Chidambaram are bigger towns. Haven't you considered Chidambaram enroute?
Points to note, to save time & be at your leisure:
1. Avoid any sort of Balaji temple on Saturdays.
2. Avoid Godessess's temples on Tuesday & Fridays.
3. Put on only cotton clothes, Sun's heat is beating like anything. Just came back from home this morning
4. Consume plenty of plain water & tender coconut water. Cocunut trees are grown in all the places you planned. Costs Rs 20/- per tender coconut inside bugger towns, must be cheaper in smaller villages.
Happy Journey
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 12:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I have had this wish / dream for many years now. A wish to do a roadtrip all along the length of the river Kaveri.
This time around, I plan to do this in mid-June in my 4-wheeler with 3 other friends of mine.
Working out the finer details and nitty-gritties. Will post a travelogue once I am thru with the roadtrip.
A wonderful idea for a road trip I must say! Given that you plan to hone your Architectural photography skills, you could also visit many temples en-route!

I have done 60-70% of this circuit in one day although the plan was not to go along with the Cauvery. My plan was to visit all the Three Ranganatha Temples viz. Srirangapatnam, Shivanasamudram and Srirangam, in a day (A spiritual/religious achievement for SriVaishnavas).

All the best for your trip, Drive safe and do remember to wear your seat-belt!!
Driving_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 12:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
He is tracing Kaveri river from its origin to where it joins the sea.
I did get that. The issue was driving and stopping options getting pretty out of way,
Instead he should take in piece by piece.

Now if he does wants to do it in one go, then yes, he needs to go around in multiple directions.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 11:39   #7

Post Re: Talakaveri to Poompuhar - planned roadtrip along the banks of Kaveri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Reason is simple. To do a source-sea journey of river Kaveri in the form of a roadtrip.
kishor_narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 12:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
). ..

Trying to hone up my architecture photography skills on this day.

Quote:
Reason is simple. To do a source-sea journey of river Kaveri in the form of a roadtrip.

I used to enjoy the Salem to Trichy drive which I used to do as kid on State Transport.. The road runs all along the river.. Now I am not sure if a highway has come and spoiled this.

Trichy to Tanjore et all.. I dont see the river ;-)

If your visit objective includes photography.. check this temple near Mettur
Tharamangalam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
druva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 14:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Talakaveri to Poompuhar - Planned roadtrip along the banks of Kaveri

Yes, exactly the theme trip I have been planning to do around India' major rivers.

While for some part you can drive close to the river, for most parts you will find no road close to the river bank.

In the KA-TN border area between Shivasamudra & Mettur, the river gets real wild and it will be difficult to trace its path. However, you should be able to visit all the famous parts on its banks.

May be a better idea to do it by 2-wheeler?
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 17:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Talakaveri to Poompuhar - Planned roadtrip along the banks of Kaveri

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Trichy to Tanjore et all.. I dont see the river ;-)
It doesn't flow alongside Trichy-Tanjore road, its along SH22, the Kallanai road that branches off just past Tiruvanaikoil.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
HI Kishor, As I havent been to the rest of the locations in your plan, I restrict myself in discussing my idea about the place that I visit for my vacations.
Trying to cover all this in one day is a hectic task. Where do you plan to stay the day before? The following is assuming that you stay in Trichy the previous night itself.
1. Kallanai (Grand Anaicut) is about 12 - 15 kms on the Tanjore route from the TPJ Railway station. You will need 30 mins to drive and another 60 - 90 mins to walk around & shoot pictures. This being the peak summer time, you cant see much / any water in the dam.
2. 1 hour from there you reach Tanjore. If Brahadeeshwara Temple is the only one in agenda, well & good. Spend 2 -3 hrs at the temple & the museum inside there.
3. Thiruvaiyaaru - No idea boss.
4. Kumbakonam (Temple City) - Oppiliappar Temple is a must. Need 30 minutes if there is no rush. All Navagraha temples are in & around Kumbakonam, but cant be covered in 1 day.
5. Gangaikondacholapuram & Poompuhar are on the either side of the Tanjore - Chennai highway. Visit poompuhar by 3:00 PM, so that you will reach Gangaikondacholapuram before sunset, coz you need light for shooting pics. Planning to stay there or keep driving? To stay at night, Jayamkondam / Chidambaram are bigger towns. Haven't you considered Chidambaram enroute?
Points to note, to save time & be at your leisure:
1. Avoid any sort of Balaji temple on Saturdays.
2. Avoid Godessess's temples on Tuesday & Fridays.
3. Put on only cotton clothes, Sun's heat is beating like anything. Just came back from home this morning
4. Consume plenty of plain water & tender coconut water. Cocunut trees are grown in all the places you planned. Costs Rs 20/- per tender coconut inside bugger towns, must be cheaper in smaller villages.
Happy Journey
-Ilango
Many thanks for the useful tips and facts, Ilango! Yes, my plan (although I hadn't stated it explicitly earlier) is pretty similar to what you have narrated here. Yes, will make sure that the summer heat won't hamper us much.
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
A wonderful idea for a road trip I must say!
========
All the best for your trip, Drive safe and do remember to wear your seat-belt!!
Yes Driving_Nomad, I am aware of that circuit 'Brahmanda darshana' as it's called by Vaishnavas. I took some tips from a person who has completed that circuit.
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, exactly the theme trip I have been planning to do around India' major rivers.
========
May be a better idea to do it by 2-wheeler?
True hvk. Roadtrips along major Indian rivers should be a good way of seeing our country first-hand. I just hope the section between Kanakapura and Hogenakkal through Anchetty is decently motorable. And no, 2-wheeler is not an option for me, atleast not now.
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:51   #14
BHPian

From Mettur , it could be Salem, Namakkal, Mukkombu (or Upper dam from where Kollidam branches off from Kaveri) and Trichy. You can visit the Namakal temple and Gunaseelam temple on the way. I would suggest this because Bhavani - Erode - Trichy may not be possible in the time frame you have mentioned even though it follows the river.

You can cross the river either at Musiri or Mukkombu to reach the western side and use the Karur - Trichy road also which winds along the river. From Trichy visit Kalanai and further on to Tiruvaiyaru ( meaning 5 rivers), where the famous Carnatic composer Saint Thyagaraja lived and reach Thanjavur from there.

Good luck and please share your travelogue.

Last edited by raju2512 : 3rd June 2012 at 14:11.
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 16:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True hvk. Roadtrips along major Indian rivers should be a good way of seeing our country first-hand. I just hope the section between Kanakapura and Hogenakkal through Anchetty is decently motorable. And no, 2-wheeler is not an option for me, atleast not now.
It is not a great road between Kanakapura & Thally, but from there to Anchetty and Hogenekal it is good. However, once the rains start, they will break up.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote