Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th June 2012, 15:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Permits on hold for areas close to LAC in Ladakh

Just read this.
Permit on hold for Chushul and other areas around LAC
Quote:
Just received a call from Alok (Alpha) that DC Leh has stopped issuing permit for Chushul, Fukche etc. because 7 idiots on motorcycles crossed over in to Chinese territory a few days ago and they have now been detained by the Chinese Authorities, ensuing a diplomatic row and thus arm twisting the local authorities into stopping the permit for Chushul and other areas near LAC for the time being!
Very sad news for the adventure travelers.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 16:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Permits on hold for areas close to LAC in Ladakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Just read this.
Permit on hold for Chushul and other areas around LAC

I think these jokers on their return (whenever it happens) should be locked up and the keys thrown away.Also, pics should be given wide publicity. I am sure TBHP will oblige.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can GPS help (assuming this incidence actually happened)? I.e. does Google/OSM/Garmin have usable maps with intentional boundaries marked for this area?

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 13th June 2012 at 17:56.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 18:40   #4
BHPian

Given the number of first timers who venture out in this region every year, this isn't going to be a one-off event unless there is greater awareness. People just don't know where to draw the line between exploration and foolishness!

I hope things get sorted out by next month when I'm going and hopefully this doesn't have a domino effect on some of the other areas that require permits.

PS. Why can't people understand one simple thing, if you don't know where you're heading in these senstive areas, it's always better to turn back or find an army post and enquire rather than set such bad precedence.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 20:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Can GPS help (assuming this incidence actually happened)? I.e. does Google/OSM/Garmin have usable maps with intentional boundaries marked for this area?
Even if they have some boundaries marked, whether those "international boundaries" would be the same as the lines of actual control or not isn't something that you'd want to rely on - the boundaries on most of these sectors are under dispute, and each mapmaker would probably have their own interpretation on which is the right one.

So I'm not sure if one would really want to trust the boundaries that are shown by some GPS map (Who knows - may be those bikers actually did that and got into trouble ? Not a very unlikely scenario)
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:01   #6
BHPian

Inconvenience to others, with holiday plans cancelled etc, but for these guys, its going to be a boast and something to brag about with some backslapping once they are back.

I'm sure if they had a clear idea they would not risk it, must have been some confusion with no one around to ask. I believe the boundaries are not all that clear and have heard stories about Indian soldiers lying low and watching Chinese soldiers patrol Indian villages many a times.

--R
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Given the number of first timers who venture out in this region every year, this isn't going to be a one-off event unless there is greater awareness. People just don't know where to draw the line between exploration and foolishness!

I hope things get sorted out by next month when I'm going and hopefully this doesn't have a domino effect on some of the other areas that require permits.

PS. Why can't people understand one simple thing, if you don't know where you're heading in these senstive areas, it's always better to turn back or find an army post and enquire rather than set such bad precedence.
Normal permits are not affected
That said, to go into china, you cannot go by accident. You actually have to veer off track deliberately. Smugglers do that.
Now there is no clarity on this incident
The authorities may be making an excuse to limit permits during peak season, or this incident may really have happened.
So even if you are a first timer, you have to go quite a bit off track towards the east to cross the LAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Inconvenience to others, with holiday plans cancelled etc, but for these guys, its going to be a boast and something to brag about with some backslapping once they are back.

I'm sure if they had a clear idea they would not risk it, must have been some confusion with no one around to ask. I believe the boundaries are not all that clear and have heard stories about Indian soldiers lying low and watching Chinese soldiers patrol Indian villages many a times.

--R
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure calling these guys as jokers or idiots is right. I am very sure they did not do this as an adventure. Going right up to the chinese border itself is an adventure and knowing that they have taken such a trip, they surely must be some serious bikers and not the average computer joe. Let's wait and see what went wrong, even if they made an error in direction, we have no right to use profanities on them. Better to chill is my opinion.
esteem_lover is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Normal permits are not affected
That said, to go into china, you cannot go by accident. You actually have to veer off track deliberately. Smugglers do that.
Now there is no clarity on this incident
The authorities may be making an excuse to limit permits during peak season, or this incident may really have happened.
So even if you are a first timer, you have to go quite a bit off track towards the east to cross the LAC.
It could be that the authorities are just making this up to limit the people in the season. Afterall, such news can hardly be validated 100%. If it is true indeed, I'd wish those 7 idiots a safe trip back home, whenever that happens!

You're right about going really off track to get into china and it isn't so simple as it sounds. But you know, looking at the plethora of people who visit the region and the kind of bikers who have taken up these rides lately, it may not be too difficult to happen as well. Couple of years back we met a group of guys on our way after Tanglangla and most of them were college kids who weren't even with proper jackets and gloves since nobody ever coached them on what terrain they were going to encounter. They just hired bikes in Manali and took off on their epic journey thinking that it will be like a ride to Mahabaleshwar (they were from MH so I'm guessing that's their point of reference for high peaks). Some of them were so zonked that they couldn't even speak properly about what was wrong with them as they lied down at one of the tents by the road. So if there are enough crazy people do that, there will be enough crazy people to go off tracks thinking that there are more scenic views on the other side of the mountain ranges
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 22:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

It might have been a bit of bravado - I crossed into China, which went wrong for them.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote