Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th October 2010, 10:18   #16
BHPian

Anybody did Delhi Dehradun recently? What are the road conditions after latest floods in uttaranchal. I am planning to drive next weekend.
perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 12:19   #17
BHPian

>>>

You might like to check the thread on road conditions during the monsoon, to check out the updates on roads in Uttarakhand.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 12:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Avoid the usual route through Merrut Roorkee as its in a big mess. Suggest you got through other threads on this route and maybe take the Ambala- Kalamb- paonta route. Though not excellent but comparatively better than all other alternatives.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 13:59   #19
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
Anybody did Delhi Dehradun recently? What are the road conditions after latest floods in uttaranchal. I am planning to drive next weekend.

I did this route last weekend (on bikes). Roads are very bad, specially while coming back from modinagar to shahdra. If you leave Delhi early morning, you can manage to go past Merrut bypass easily, past that there are many diversions. DO not go via muzzafarnagar- saharanpur route, There is litrelly no road for about 50odd kms. Ask me.

Take the usual haridwar-dehradun road, its quite managble but remember to go slow.
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 18:24   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the info kkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
If you leave Delhi early morning, you can manage to go past Merrut bypass easily, past that there are many diversions.
I plan to start at 4:30 AM from Indirapuram. I will be taking my Figo (low ground clearance )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
DO not go via muzzafarnagar- saharanpur route, There is litrelly no road for about 50odd kms. Ask me. Take the usual haridwar-dehradun road, its quite managble but remember to go slow.
So I should take the below route ? Which route did you take while riding back?
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2010, 19:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^@kkg: I did this run before Monsoon. I saw the new bridges and nice new roads with toll plaza near completion. What was the condition of these?

I might have to do a Gurgaon Haridwar soon.

@perseus: All the best, do let us know how it went.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 20:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I should take the below route ?
The route you've defined from Muradnagar runs along the Upper Ganga Canal. It's equally broken up, but without HTV traffic on that road, you'll be able to relax a little more while driving (progress will be slow anyway). After you come out at Khatauli, cross the NH58 and carry on along the canal again, and you'll come out at Roorkee (you'll cross the NH58 again at <IIRC> Manglur).

In spite of the Roorkee-Chhutmalpur-Dehradun route being bad in parts (upto @40 km before Clement Town), I'd suggest you still follow this road rather than going via Haridwar - the route is longer, and you are likely to face heavy traffic around Haridwar & Doiwala. And neither is the road from Roorkee to Haridwar in good shape, esp. after Bahadurabad.

Also, when approaching from Chhutmalpur side (NH72A), the road will bring you directly to Rajpur Road, which is crowded. If you take a left diversion after Transport Nagar, you can then take the route via Gen. mahadev Singh Road>>Alkapuri>>Rajendranagar directly onto Mussoorie Road - faster and less crowded.

Bon voyage.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 23:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

A little OT, I had gone to Mussoorie a couple of weeks back, it was nice and slightly chilly. The route from Doon to Mussoorie was awesome with a waterfall included. It was so lovely to see it so green and pretty. Do take some warm clothes with you.

Have a wonderful trip. Aaah I miss home.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 01:46   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion guys. So would it be rather wise to take Shatabdi instead? I had also reserved seats keeping the long weekend rush in mind. I recently drove to Delhi from Rudrapur and roads have become really horrible because of floods (NH 24 was closed so had to come via Kashipur).I just don't want to feel same experience again.

I want to take my car because I plan to go to Mussoorie also. I was talking to my friend and he told me, once it took him 11 hours to reach Delhi from Dehradun in evening.

Will Figo do on those roads?
Old 8th October 2010, 11:37   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to take my car because I plan to go to Mussoorie also. I was talking to my friend and he told me, once it took him 11 hours to reach Delhi from Dehradun in evening.

Delhi - Dehradun in current conditions should take you about 7-8 hours (usually takes 5-6 hours), add 45 min - 1 hour to Mussoorie at most. 11 hours may be because of some unforeseen traffic holdup (accident, farmers' protest, wedding or other procession) which is not uncommon on this highway.

Rudrapur - Delhi was bad because the road was totally under 4-6 feet of water for days during the September floods. Nothing that bad happened on this route.

The Figo will certainly manage to negotiate these roads. Don't worry.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 12:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion guys.

If you have the option of Shatabdi, I would suggest you take it. Not that you will not be able to reach but the drive will not be enjoyable at all, until Dehradun. Judging by the amount it rained, I will not be surprised if the highways are a big mess. You can take a cab or a local bus to Mussoorie depending on your preference and spend a nice relaxed time there. Hey, if you want adventure just walk to mussoorie from Rajpur as well

I used to love driving down but always take the Shatabdi now. Its just no fun to drive on that highway anymore.

Last edited by sammyboy : 8th October 2010 at 12:39.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

+1 sammyboy. If you have the option, I suggest you take Shatabdi.
Old 10th October 2010, 10:42   #28
BHPian

Default mapmyindia vs google maps??

I have decided to drive down. mapmyindia and google maps show different routes. mapmyindia shows khatauli --> muzaffarnagar -->purquazi-->manglur-->roorkee-->chhutmalpur

Google shows :- khatuali-->Ghalauli-->Deoband-->nagal-->chhutmalpur

My doubt is which one to take?

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have no clue regarding the road conditions but I usually take the 1st one. Please remember to take the muzzaffarnagar byepass instead of trying to go through the town. Same with Meerut byepass.

Have a good trip.
Old 10th October 2010, 21:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

1st option as in the map above is perfect.
2nd option might be a bad one as once I did that and there was no road at all.

Have a comfortable journey and update us soon.

Cheers!