Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th October 2010, 22:28   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
Google shows :- khatuali-->Ghalauli-->Deoband-->nagal-->chhutmalpur
The Deoband route is practically a no-road route. The NH58 runs via Purkaji & Manglur to Roorkee.

Would still suggest you travel parallel to NH58 along the Upper Ganga Canal, as I described earlier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The route you've defined from Muradnagar runs along the Upper Ganga Canal.
...After you come out at Khatauli, cross the NH58 and carry on along the canal again, and you'll come out at Roorkee (you'll cross the NH58 again at ... Manglur).
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 23:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Would still suggest you travel parallel to NH58 along the Upper Ganga Canal, as I described earlier...
I would be starting early in the morning from Indirapuram (4:30 am latest). I am not too comfortable with the alternate routes especially in that part of UP.

Strange, I never thought twice about alternate routes while I was in Bangalore for 3 years. Had absolutely no hesitation driving Bangalore --> Calicut in pitch dark . And in my own UP I am double minded.
perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 23:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hey!
It might be too late for any advice . But the Baghpat-Shamli-Saharanpur route is slightly better than the canal route.
Disclaimer: This does not mean it isn't broken! It is just less broken. :P
Mohand was okay the last I time I drove through, so no need sticking your neck out towards H'dwar. Take the ring road from the ISBT instead of entering the city. That will save you quite some time.

Cheers!

And please do upload loads of pictures.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 23:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hey!
It might be too late for any advice
I am leaving coming Friday. So 4 more days, pour in your advices.
Old 11th October 2010, 02:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hehe!

Well honestly, I would recommend the train.
The potholes on all routes are sheer torture on the car. Your Figo can definitely make it, but it will either be a very slow or a very bumpy ride.
You can always take a cab right from the railway station to Mussoorie.

I was thinking about the route I had suggested, it wouldn't make much sense for you to traverse Delhi and hit Haryana. It makes a lot of sense for guys like me who put up in northern parts of Delhi.
Guess the Canal road is your best bet.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote: But the Baghpat-Shamli-Saharanpur route is slightly better than the canal route.
Disclaimer: This does not mean it isn't broken! It is just less broken. :P

Bro, last time I used this route, I was pulling my hair. There is no road for about 40 kms on that stretch.

Perseus: As everyone is hinting winking and hinting again, dont use your flying horse the road is bad and I am sure you wont like new Figo to go rattling on you once back home. Rest the decision is yours. Enjoy the trip.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 12:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I am leaving coming Friday. So 4 more days, pour in your advices.
Honest advise if you want is, scrap the idea of driving down and take the train instead. I know how we all love driving, but driving on Delhi - Dehradun road is a torture for the car, yourself and folks travelling with you.

How I know because did this route in last week of Sep. Took close to 7.5 hours for reaching Doon and 9 hours on the way back to touch Delhi. The car cursed me back by scraping the underbody,rattling from all the corners and with a leaking front shocker.BTW the car is question is ikon.
pankaj_sachdeva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 16:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Bro, last time I used this route, I was pulling my hair. There is no road for about 40 kms on that stretch.
Absolutely. The stretch around Shamli is in Shambles.

It is just not possible to appreciate the drive to Dehradun anymore. :'(
Wish the Meerut route gets completed before my 80th b'day. I really want to drive through Cheetal without being in a horrible mood.
Old 11th October 2010, 16:56   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...travel parallel to NH58 along the Upper Ganga Canal, as I described earlier...
Quote:
I am not too comfortable with the alternate routes especially in that part of UP.
Here's a link (Beyond Dehradun along the Upper Ganga Canal - recharging...) to one of the innumerable times I've driven that route.
Old 11th October 2010, 16:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

^Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness

If he were to drive an SUV, I would have really given the green signal.

I am still fighting for the ticket to Ddun and there aint any even in tatkal :((
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 17:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

^
I usually drive a Scorpio on these routes. I would still say no. The only way by road would be a Taxi or a Deluxe bus.
My boss, who hails from Doon as well, told me about the Volvo service being restarted. I haven't found any evidence of the same, but please do look into it! (There have been talks forever on this subject!)

@SS Sir
No one inspires me more than you.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:21   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to start at 4:30 AM from Indirapuram. I will be taking my Figo...
Here's a gentleman who wants to do a small (<300-km) drive in his newly acquired Figo which he is certainly proud of, from Delhi to Mussoorie, and he has all the time in the world to go to Mussoorie & come back the same day because he's leaving home at 4:30 AM...

...and here we have members on Team-BHP seriously dissuading him from doing so. They say, take a taxi, take a bus, take the train, take an SUV, take a hike...

Get real guys! That journey is do-able in any decent car by any sensible driver - not a worry at all. The road has people travelling on it, is being repaired currently, and the proposed journey will be safe.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

There are no safety issues at all. I have been traveling this route ever since I was a little kid.

What I meant to say was that the drive will be anything but enjoyable thanks to the road conditions! :P

And not everyone is like you sir! You drove Delhi-Pune in one go!
Old 11th October 2010, 19:10   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And not everyone is like you sir!
Quote:
No one inspires me more than you.
Thanks, EssYouWe - give others a chance too!

@perseus: If you haven't been persuaded to take out your car for this drive yet...

Will look forward to your travelogue on your return.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:34   #45
BHPian

Unfortunately, I will now not be going to Dehradun. I was supposed to meet my sister there for her birthday. But now she has got her leaves approved and will be coming to Delhi (Shatabdi for her). Somehow managed to get CWG closing ceremony passes.

Thanks for the help guys. Especially SS-Traveller sir. This route is definitely on the cards for next month.