Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 18:23   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Question Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Well, it doesn't say anywhere that the route queries have to be within India And given how well travelled TBHPians are, i thought of putting my query here.

OK, so next friday, 8/24, I am planning to drive to Toronto (Pickering to be more specific) from Nashua, New Hampshire. Google maps suggests three routes.
1. I89 - ON401W, crossing into Canada at the northernmost point, Ogdensburg. Distance 551 miles, 10 hours.
2. I90W - ON401W, crossing into Canada at the Thousand Islands Bridge, which is south of Ogdensburg. Distance of 555 miles, 10 hours 2 mins.
3. I90W all the way, via Niagara falls. Distance of 590 miles, 10 hours 19 mins.

I am not too keen on option 3. And leaning more towards option 2. Also, we will be doing "landing formalities" at the border, so we want to avoid Niagara since it is crowded most of the times.

But option 1 seems to be more scenic.

Also, while going, I intend to break the jounrey for the night. So, would be nice to have some decent stay options half way into the trip.

Any suggestions?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 18:39   #2
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
1. I89 - ON401W, crossing into Canada at the northernmost point, Ogdensburg. Distance 551 miles, 10 hours.
2. I90W - ON401W, crossing into Canada at the Thousand Islands Bridge, which is south of Ogdensburg. Distance of 555 miles, 10 hours 2 mins.
3. I90W all the way, via Niagara falls. Distance of 590 miles, 10 hours 19 mins.
among the options you have posted, what you shall try to find out and shall account for in your estimate is the road repair work (to prepare for winters) that starts late Aug/Early Sep on I90 in NY.

I have done Indianapolis-Toronto, and Raleigh-Toronto numerous times and almost all the times crossing the border at Detroit except once when I crossed the border at Niagara and it took fewer than ten minutes (early morning - 6:30 AM).
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 19:00   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
among the options you have posted, what you shall try to find out and shall account for in your estimate is the road repair work (to prepare for winters) that starts late Aug/Early Sep on I90 in NY.

I have done Indianapolis-Toronto, and Raleigh-Toronto numerous times and almost all the times crossing the border at Detroit except once when I crossed the border at Niagara and it took fewer than ten minutes (early morning - 6:30 AM).
Good point about road repair work. Any site where i can get latest updates?
And for me crossing the border will be a little difference, since i have to do the immigration formalities for a permanent resident. I guess the fact that you reached there at 6:30 in the morning also helped you in seeing hardly any rush.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 19:38   #4
BHPian
 
mohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto / Kurukshetra
Posts: 641
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

I vote option 2. More interstates mean better rest facilities especially when you are with Kiddos. Skipping Niagara is a wise choice. Since you are going to Pickering, you will skip the traffic nightmare called Toronto if you take option 1 or 2.

FYI - both I90 and 401 have a lot of police presence over long weekends and in Ontario, 50KMPH over speed limit = roadside seizure of car and 1 week license suspension. Min fine is $2k. Since you will be driving a red muscle car, be ready for closer scrutiny.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 19:49   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
I vote option 2. More interstates mean better rest facilities especially when you are with Kiddos. Skipping Niagara is a wise choice. Since you are going to Pickering, you will skip the traffic nightmare called Toronto if you take option 1 or 2.

FYI - both I90 and 401 have a lot of police presence over long weekends and in Ontario, 50KMPH over speed limit = roadside seizure of car and 1 week license suspension. Min fine is $2k. Since you will be driving a red muscle car, be ready for closer scrutiny.
Oh yeah good rest stops are definitely a priority. Realised on the trip to NYC that not all rest stops are the same!! Plus we might find good cheap overnight stay options in Utica, NY

Whats the speed limit in Ontario btw? 50kmph over would be insane! Who would do that??

Please stop scaring me about the red car thing! I have it from reliable source (the internet ofcourse!!) that there is no truth behind the thought that red cars get pulled over more than any other color cars!!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 20:07   #6
BHPian
 
mohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto / Kurukshetra
Posts: 641
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Oh yeah good rest stops are definitely a priority. Realised on the trip to NYC that not all rest stops are the same!! Plus we might find good cheap overnight stay options in Utica, NY

Whats the speed limit in Ontario btw? 50kmph over would be insane! Who would do that??

Please stop scaring me about the red car thing! I have it from reliable source (the internet ofcourse!!) that there is no truth behind the thought that red cars get pulled over more than any other color cars!!
Chill! I was just pulling your leg.
The speed limit is 100 KMPH and 120 is what I'd do tops on 401. Anything higher is asking for trouble.

Edit: One small route change in case you want to avoid the state highway from Utica to Alexandria - Go to Syracuse using I90 and take I81 from there. Might come in handy if you do not stop at Utica and are traveling in the evening. The whole area is forested and deer are a significant issue.

Last edited by mohit : 17th August 2012 at 20:15.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 20:35   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Edit: One small route change in case you want to avoid the state highway from Utica to Alexandria - Go to Syracuse using I90 and take I81 from there. Might come in handy if you do not stop at Utica and are traveling in the evening. The whole area is forested and deer are a significant issue.
I will definitely be stopping somewhere for the night. I dont want to take the risk of feeling drowsy while driving.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 21:18   #8
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

check this for road updates:
National Traffic and Road Closure Information | Federal Highway Administration

and, please don't go beyond 120 KMPH in Ontario, and do not use a radar detector in Ontario (they'll take it away and would issue you a ticket).
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 21:20   #9
BHPian
 
NinadJoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maratha Country
Posts: 289
Thanked: 243 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I will definitely be stopping somewhere for the night. I dont want to take the risk of feeling drowsy while driving.
600 miles is about 9-10 hours of driving tops including breaks. Doubt if that will make you drowsy, unless you are one for afternoon siestas
And as someone said, abide by speed limits on your journey. Your vehicle is a certified cop magnet.

Try this for highway road info: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 17th August 2012 at 21:23.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 21:29   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
600 miles is about 9-10 hours of driving tops including breaks. Doubt if that will make you drowsy, unless you are one for afternoon siestas
Hmmm. Probably on the way back i wont break for the night if all goes well. Another reason for stopping for the night is that the kids get a good night's rest in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
And as someone said, abide by speed limits on your journey. Your vehicle is a certified cop magnet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
and, please don't go beyond 120 KMPH in Ontario, and do not use a radar detector in Ontario (they'll take it away and would issue you a ticket).
Thanks mate. Will keep it in mind. I dont have a radar detector, so thats one less thing to worry about.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 00:32   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

So, avoid road construction, right?
This is the scene of road construction in the state of New York. Any suggestions?

Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query-ny-road-construction.jpg
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 00:39   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,504
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Well, it doesn't say anywhere that the route queries have to be within India And given how well travelled TBHPians are, i thought of putting my query here.

OK, so next friday, 8/24, I am planning to drive to Toronto (Pickering to be more specific) from Nashua, New Hampshire. Google maps suggests three routes.
1. I89 - ON401W, crossing into Canada at the northernmost point, Ogdensburg. Distance 551 miles, 10 hours.
2. I90W - ON401W, crossing into Canada at the Thousand Islands Bridge, which is south of Ogdensburg. Distance of 555 miles, 10 hours 2 mins.
3. I90W all the way, via Niagara falls. Distance of 590 miles, 10 hours 19 mins.

I am not too keen on option 3. And leaning more towards option 2. Also, we will be doing "landing formalities" at the border, so we want to avoid Niagara since it is crowded most of the times.

But option 1 seems to be more scenic.

Also, while going, I intend to break the jounrey for the night. So, would be nice to have some decent stay options half way into the trip.

Any suggestions?
I drove down from Providence to Ottawa in June- went past the Ogdensburg border post either direction. Smooth very little congestion at the bridges. I did not have a constraint of travelling with kids etc. so I chose the non freeway route which is also very scenic as well. You can do one way freeway drive and another through the scenic roads.
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 01:43   #13
BHPian
 
mohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto / Kurukshetra
Posts: 641
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, avoid road construction, right?
This is the scene of road construction in the state of New York. Any suggestions?
Yeah sure! North on I89 - I87 at Swanton - Montreal Via Highway 15 - Highway 20 - 401W - Will take some time thats all

Edit: Actually might not be that bad if you want to skip NY. Its all of 600 miles and you get to practice some French on the way! Stay in Montreal for the night and then take 401 All the way.

Last edited by mohit : 18th August 2012 at 01:49.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 02:11   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I drove down from Providence to Ottawa in June- went past the Ogdensburg border post either direction. Smooth very little congestion at the bridges. I did not have a constraint of travelling with kids etc. so I chose the non freeway route which is also very scenic as well. You can do one way freeway drive and another through the scenic roads.
Well, on the way back my parents will be with me. I dont think i can afford to take the non freeway route then either. Besides, return will most likely be from Niagara falls side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Yeah sure! North on I89 - I87 at Swanton - Montreal Via Highway 15 - Highway 20 - 401W - Will take some time thats all

Edit: Actually might not be that bad if you want to skip NY. Its all of 600 miles and you get to practice some French on the way! Stay in Montreal for the night and then take 401 All the way.
LOL. Practice french as in "pardon my french" ? i hope not!
Besides, thats too long and its not as if there is no construction along that route.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 02:46   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 267
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: Nashua (NH) to Toronto (ON) route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
...that route.
did you try using Bing maps ...I know they track any major repairs that are underway as well as gives a sense of traffic congestion.

I use it more than google maps here in Arizona ( of course apart from GPS which doesnt have live traffic)
mazda4life is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadian Auto Show, Toronto, 2007 Centro-P The International Automotive Scene 11 2nd March 2007 17:48
Toronto Auto Show Pics amit The International Automotive Scene 26 10th March 2006 08:45
Nov 6: TBHP Toronto Meet & Drive (with Pics) amit The Team-BHP Meet Section 18 13th January 2006 11:29
Horrific crash in Toronto amit Street Experiences 4 3rd October 2005 05:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks