Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:40   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Thumbs up EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Guys who have done the EBC (similar) treks please help us in planning and understanding the requirements for such treks.

I am sure there are many trekkers on our own forum and it would be great to have guidance from a Bhpian and have it consolidated in one thread.


FAQs -

1. What is the fitness level required to do the EBC comfortably
2. What other preparation needs to be done before the trip...like equipment, clothing, footwear etc.
3. What permits/arrangements need to be done before starting the trek
4. What is the approx cost per person ex Kathmandu
5. What is the best time/season to do this trek
6. How good/bad is the weather and terrain during the trek
7. What is the minimum time required to do the trek safely
8. More questions coming soon....


Few useful links from Wiki-

Everest Base Camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Everest Base Camp Trek - Wikitravel
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:57   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 88
Thanked: 36 Times
Default re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Hi KSM,
I used to track the below site for any Everest or other expeditions.

Project Himalaya | 2012-2013 Ladakh-Zanskar India trekking, Nepal Everest base camp, Dolpo treks and more

The site provides information about their trekking expeditions, requirements, facilities available with them and the cost associated with it. You could get a feel of what is needed / relevant for such a task. Has loads of info but on a very high level.
Answers to most of your questions will/might be available there. I'm no expert in trekking and simply been using the site to look at their dispatches for the last 4 years.

Will let you know if I come across any other sites/useful information.

Apologies if my post was not useful.

Thx,
Karthik

Last edited by Jack Sparrow : 22nd August 2012 at 10:59.
Jack Sparrow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:04   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Have you ever trekked? I mean trekked like 10kms uphill(800mts altitude gain). If not, I suggest you do a relatively easy 4-5 day trek in the Himalayas.
a good friend runs "Where Eagles Dare", and he organizes a lot of treks in Uttarakhand. He will be back from a 12 day trek by mid sept, and I think after that he will take a group on a relatively easy trek (4-5 days, 2-3 glaciers etc.,)
Do some easy treks at 4000m+ altitude, and see your fitness.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:23   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Have you ever trekked? I mean trekked like 10kms uphill(800mts altitude gain). If not, I suggest you do a relatively easy 4-5 day trek in the Himalayas.
a good friend runs "Where Eagles Dare", and he organizes a lot of treks in Uttarakhand. He will be back from a 12 day trek by mid sept, and I think after that he will take a group on a relatively easy trek (4-5 days, 2-3 glaciers etc.,)
Do some easy treks at 4000m+ altitude, and see your fitness.
Well to be honest i haven't done any in the recent past. But have been working on my fitness for some time now and want to try and equate my current workout with the requirement and identify the gap so that i can work on it accordingly.

Have had a very active trekking teenage, hope that helps at least in a small way.

What do you think?
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:41   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Well to be honest i haven't done any in the recent past. But have been working on my fitness for some time now and want to try and equate my current workout with the requirement and identify the gap so that i can work on it accordingly.

Have had a very active trekking teenage, hope that helps at least in a small way.

What do you think?
High altitude trekking is a very different ballgame. Recently trekked 50kms over 3 days. Medium altitude(max 4150mts). My feet still feel funny.
Moreover, fatigue sets in much quicker. On steeper sections, downhill leads to crimping of toes, and blisters. So I suggest try a 3500-4500mts kind of trek, lasting 2-3 days atleast, and then attempt a biggie like everest base camp.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 14:20   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
High altitude trekking is a very different ballgame. Recently trekked 50kms over 3 days. Medium altitude(max 4150mts). My feet still feel funny.
Moreover, fatigue sets in much quicker. On steeper sections, downhill leads to crimping of toes, and blisters. So I suggest try a 3500-4500mts kind of trek, lasting 2-3 days atleast, and then attempt a biggie like everest base camp.

So do you think the last section treks (where the road ends) of approx 14kms each at Yamunotri, Gangotri and Kedarnath would be a good warmup? That would be about 40-45kms in 3 days (not back to back) in the 3.5k MSL range approx.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 24th August 2012 at 14:24.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 14:38   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
So do you think the last section treks (where the road ends) of approx 14kms each at Yamunotri, Gangotri and Kedarnath would be a good warmup? That would be about 40-45kms in 3 days (not back to back) in the 3.5k MSL range approx.
Yes good treks.
Alternatively I suggest you try if you can do the following. If you can, then Everest is in sight
1. Day 1 - Trek from Govind ghat to Ghangria - 13kms
2. Day 2 - Trek to VOF (3kms to entrance, and 8kms more inside and back) - 22kms
3. Day 3 - Trek to Hemkunt Sahib and back (12kms) and then trek 13kms downhill back to Ghangria

If you can do this without your feet getting extensive blisters, and normal tiredness, you are good to go.

If you want to do a 3-4 day trek in around 4000kms altitude in late sept let me know, I can check with Tilak. He will definitely take groups in that time frame. But please get your tentative dates in advance, as he treks with very small groups, and usually its always full.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 14:46   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes good treks..
To be honest i hardly have much time and so i can only plan a Uttarakhand road trip and trek the last sections where the road ends anyways and not go on horse back till the temples. What do you think?

I dont think i will be in a position to plan a separate trek.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 15:18   #9
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 230
Thanked: 209 Times
Default ~

Dear KSM,

I haven't done the EBC but have recently done the Nanda Devi East Base Trek (4200m). I am infact writing a travelogue, and should be able to put that up soon. Earlier I have done the Panchachuli Base Trek (4300m), so the answers below come with some experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
FAQs -

1. What is the fitness level required to do the EBC comfortably?
A. Great levels of fitness are a must I would say. There have been people who have been there with zero prep, but if you want to enjoy this trip and not treat it like a punishment, be fit! As an example, to trek 20 kms in a day at an altitude of 3000m+ you need to be fit enough to run 20 kms in 3 hrs.

2. What other preparation needs to be done before the trip...like equipment, clothing, footwear etc.
A. Equipment will basically be taken care of by the tour guide companies. You need to have light weight trekking shoes (I have Dupont Kevlar- Hi Tec ones) + another spare pair in case these get wet. Quick dry trousers, Thermal inners, and windcheaters should see you through.

3. What permits/arrangements need to be done before starting the trek
A. No Idea about EBC. My treks required a permit from the local administration (Tibet border areas)

4. What is the approx cost per person ex Kathmandu
A. The Nanda Devi East BC trek cost us about 45k for 4 people with the following disclaimers: 1. Being locals, we got a huge discount. 2. The normally 12 day trek was completed by us in 5.5 days.

5. What is the best time/season to do this trek
A. September start is a good time as the rains are done and autumn is starting to set in. Also the time when the views around are amazing.

6. How good/bad is the weather and terrain during the trek
A. Depends. We encountered rain, and extreme sun (we all came back sunburnt). Terrain is usually defined by previous trekkers and so is walkable.

7. What is the minimum time required to do the trek safely
A. No Idea. See how much can you strain yourself. We walked ~25 kms in a day. Usually people stop at 12.

8. More questions coming soon....
A. Happy to help
Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 16:54   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
To be honest i hardly have much time and so i can only plan a Uttarakhand road trip and trek the last sections where the road ends anyways and not go on horse back till the temples. What do you think?

I dont think i will be in a position to plan a separate trek.
In that case go to a place like Recong Peo. Walk to Roghi(5kms ahead of kapla) and back.
Or go to Sangla - Walk to chitkul and beyong till ITBP checkpost and back on the same day. If you can do these with ease, you can try thogies.
The EBC trek is one of the tough ones. The Kedartal, Dodital, etc., are easier in comparison.
As Tapish said, level of fitness is a must.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 17:02   #11
BHPian
 
AltoHoncho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 581
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...If you can do this without your feet getting extensive blisters, and normal tiredness, you are good to go.
...
I have serious doubts on this suggestion of yours. These treks would prep one for something like amarnath trek or a kailash mansarovar but not of a level of Everest even if its till the base camp.

Repeated such treks with improvement in the ability to lug 15-20Kg luggage plus constant fitness level improvements would make you fit to be a part of the troop to EBC, last year I met a few people in US who had been part of the everest expedition and none of them could complete it though but they had good enough info in terms of fitness required for treks at that altitude...A treadmill cardio or jog/run of 1-2 hrs wont be enough, equipment/luggage weight + body weight + incline + low oxygen levels in reality are quite strenuous.

Both the base camps of Everest are 5000+ mt altitude and normally are itinerarised for 5-6 days including the trek and interim stays for acclamatization to the altitude and oxy levels
AltoHoncho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 17:04   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
I have serious doubts on this suggestion of yours. These treks would prep one for something like amarnath trek or a kailash mansarovar but not of a level of Everest even if its till the base camp.
Everest Base Camp trek is long, but its difficulty is comparable to the Uttarakhand treks
Quote:
Repeated such treks with improvement in the ability to lug 15-20Kg luggage plus constant fitness level improvements would make you fit to be a part of the troop to EBC, last year I met a few people in US who had been part of the everest expedition and none of them could complete it though but they had good enough info in terms of fitness required for treks at that altitude...A treadmill cardio or jog/run of 1-2 hrs wont be enough, equipment/luggage weight + body weight + incline + low oxygen levels in reality are quite strenuous.
15-20KG? Why. Most people use local porters for luggage. Its a common practice even in Indian routes

Quote:
Both the base camps of Everest are 5000+ mt altitude and normally are itinerarised for 5-6 days including the trek and interim stays for acclamatization to the altitude and oxy levels
Thats why I suggested doing 4000m+ treks initially, only if you can do so, then go higher
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 17:20   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Everest Base Camp trek is long, but its difficulty is comparable to the Uttarakhand treks
By Uttarakhand you are referring to the following right?

1. Hanuman Chatti to Yamunotri - 14Kms one way
2. Gangotri to Gomukh - 18kms one way
3. Gaurikund to Kedarnath - 14kms one way

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 28th August 2012 at 17:22.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 17:29   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
By Uttarakhand you are referring to the following right?

1. Hanuman Chatti to Yamunotri - 14Kms one way
2. Gangotri to Gomukh - 18kms one way
3. Gaurikund to Kedarnath - 14kms one way
These are just a few of the umpteen treks in UK.
Many more eg
Deoriatal - Chopta
Govind Ghat - VOF/Hemkunt Sahib
Dodital
Roopkund

If you want high altitude treks(4000m+ all the way) you can try Baralacha la - Chandertal and other treks in Pin valley, Pin Parvati pass, Chandartaal area
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 16:48   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: EBC - Mount Everest Base Camp Trek Thread - Queries/Questions/Tips/Planning

Yes focus on physical training and doing a few treks prior to the EBC is the obvious approach one would take towards preparing for the EBC trek on the fitness front.

I am sure there are more areas one would need to work on apart from fitness and it would be great if trekkers from our forum can throw some light on them from their own experience.

Also it would be helpful if we could be directed towards any useful web content that you may have come across.

Thanks for all the help!
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wandering in the Himalayas : Trek to Annapurna Base Camp vikrantj Travelogues 15 28th November 2013 14:58
This car (also) climbed Mount Washington & Mount Mansfield, VT amitoj Travelogues 30 12th October 2013 01:35
Everest Base Camp abhijitaparadh Route / Travel Queries 0 20th March 2009 20:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks