Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 02:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

So here is my quandary. Daksh is no longer as easy to manage as he had been during http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...or-orchha.html (Baby'sDaysOut - Daksh goes to Gwalior & Orchha)

Now the challenge is as follows:
a. We want to utilize the upcoming 2nd Oct long weekend (since other plans are not happening and we havent toured since Mussoorie / Tehri in march.
b. We want to go towards Binsar - I have fond memories of my last trip. We had some glorious night vistas and awesome sunrise images. however, there is NOTHING to do in binsar with a kid beyond a couple of hours.
c. We want a relaxing drive. The missus has suggested driving out on 29th, chilling on the 30th, and a leisurely drive back on the 1st.
d. Now Daksh is like any other 14 month old boy - he will most likely NOT stay in his car seat for the entire duration. This of course does not fit well with c above.
e. Our budget is roughly 1.5-2.5k per night.

So please advise:
1. Which destination to include along with Binsar? If there's a resort / gardens that daksh could enjoy - even better. Again, if the vistas are the same as Binsar - we're loath to drive an additional 100 or so km that any destination would require.
2. My current thought process is to repeat the Gwalior approach by leaving Gurgaon at 330 - 4am, so that by the time Daksh is awake and wants a change of scenery, we are near Moradabad. Alternatively, is there any recommended place midway between Delhi and Almora where we can stop the night on the 30th / 1st, so that we can have a quick morning dash to delhi on the 1st/2nd? What alternative approach would you suggest?

I am open to Himachal as well, except that any half-decent Himachal place will need much longer drives in the hills. Ideas?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:07   #2
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 244
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

Hey Phamilyman,

My two bits:
1. You can also include Jalna/ Kasardevi along with Binsar. It is very near Almora, with awesome hill views, nice restaurants and green meadows. KMVN has a resthouse in Jalna.
2. In Binsar, the KMVN resthouse offers the best view, though I have heard good reviews of the Club Mahindra resort too.
3. Leave Delhi as early as possible. You need to cross Garh by 7. That time of the year, usually there is some bath at Garh throwing the traffic for a toss. Also, If you reach Haldwani by 10, you have some time to rest before taking up the 125 km journey to Binsar.
While coming back, if you can't make the dash on a single day/ if you want to spend the 1st in Binsar and start descending by 3, my guess is you should come till Rudrapur. rudrapur has decent hotel options (Radisson Blu, Ginger etc), and it is about 260 kms from Delhi.

Hope that works.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,514
Thanked: 2,388 Times
Default Re: 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

Why hills? Try Rajasthan? Try the Shekhawati havelli experience? Lower driving distance mean you can do it with breaks to let the young one vent steam. Good discounts in the season too! Or Agra? Now that expressway has brought the city nearby (maynot be from Gurgaon though).

Driving to Binsar/Almora with a young child is going to be a bit of a stretch.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 19:12   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Surat
Posts: 82
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

If you are going to Binsar, then another option further 93 kms ahead is Chaukori (good view of Panchuli peaks). KMVN has excellent cottages (reasonably prices as well) with lots of open area. i went when my son was 11 month old and he enjoyed crawling all over the place.
Another option but a littly touristy is Kausani (70 kms from Binsar). Offers excellent views of Trishul Peak.
But for both these options i guess you need to plan your return on 2nd Oct giving you two days there.
29th-Delhi-Binsar
30th After lunch Binsar-Chaukori/Kausani
1st Free day at any of the place
2nd Back
A quick view of what you can expect there in terms of views
Trishul Name:  trishul.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  57.4 KB panchuli Name:  panchuli chaukori.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  38.2 KB
dave7377 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 23:16   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

Well if its just relaxed drive and good views you are looking at, I suggest Kiarighat. Enroute to Shimla about 10 kms uphill from Narkanda. Decent views, large protected lawn for the child plus some swings and the drive is sure as relaxed as it can get.
Another option could be Renuka Lake but the roads beyond Nahan would be an issue post this rain deluge that we are having in hills as of now. Renuka offers lush green hills, a small zoo with open deer park and boating for the two of you (just to rekindle the romance, hehe).
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 13:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default Re: 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Hey Phamilyman,

My two bits:
1. You can also include Jalna/ Kasardevi along with Binsar. It is very near Almora, with awesome hill views, nice restaurants and green meadows. KMVN has a resthouse in Jalna.
2. In Binsar, the KMVN resthouse offers the best view, though I have heard good reviews of the Club Mahindra resort too.
3. Leave Delhi as early as possible. You need to cross Garh by 7. That time of the year, usually there is some bath at Garh throwing the traffic for a toss. Also, If you reach Haldwani by 10, you have some time to rest before taking up the 125 km journey to Binsar.
While coming back, if you can't make the dash on a single day/ if you want to spend the 1st in Binsar and start descending by 3, my guess is you should come till Rudrapur. rudrapur has decent hotel options (Radisson Blu, Ginger etc), and it is about 260 kms from Delhi.

Hope that works.

Cheers,
Tapish
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Why hills? Try Rajasthan? Try the Shekhawati havelli experience? Lower driving distance mean you can do it with breaks to let the young one vent steam. Good discounts in the season too! Or Agra? Now that expressway has brought the city nearby (maynot be from Gurgaon though).

Driving to Binsar/Almora with a young child is going to be a bit of a stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7377 View Post
If you are going to Binsar, then another option further 93 kms ahead is Chaukori (good view of Panchuli peaks). KMVN has excellent cottages (reasonably prices as well) with lots of open area. i went when my son was 11 month old and he enjoyed crawling all over the place.
Another option but a littly touristy is Kausani (70 kms from Binsar). Offers excellent views of Trishul Peak.
But for both these options i guess you need to plan your return on 2nd Oct giving you two days there.
29th-Delhi-Binsar
30th After lunch Binsar-Chaukori/Kausani
1st Free day at any of the place
2nd Back
A quick view of what you can expect there in terms of views
Trishul Attachment 974798 panchuli Attachment 974796
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Well if its just relaxed drive and good views you are looking at, I suggest Kiarighat. Enroute to Shimla about 10 kms uphill from Narkanda. Decent views, large protected lawn for the child plus some swings and the drive is sure as relaxed as it can get.
Another option could be Renuka Lake but the roads beyond Nahan would be an issue post this rain deluge that we are having in hills as of now. Renuka offers lush green hills, a small zoo with open deer park and boating for the two of you (just to rekindle the romance, hehe).
First off, thanks to everyone. Here is where we are now.

Boredom will be our biggest enemy since he has the attention span of a butterfly and wants to move about and touch things. Which we won't let him do in his car seat. So the plan is to cart him off at 2am when he's fast asleep and by the time he awakens and starts getting bored, we would have already covered serious distance. Of course, any trips or war stories on keeping your little one engaged during the drive would be extremely welcome as well

So we are looking for a nice hotel (on a middle class budget) that has enough for a kid to run around (under our watch) and be busy. But it seems in himachal you need a 10k a night budget for a good resort, with good rooms and good greenery.

Here are some we were looking at:
http://www.baikunth.com/kasauli/accommodation.aspx (but its fairly expensive at 10k a night (the only one available)!)
http://aamod.in/areservation.aspx (again almost 9k)
http://www.tarikasjungleretreat.com/packages.html (starting 7.5k)
http://oakgroveinn.net/rooms/ (lansdowne, at the lower end at 3k, but more likely to be available)

We're not considering any government (G/KMVN etc) simply because the service is patchy at best in most places, and with our tornado, we will be fairly exasperated anyways.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 18:44   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 36
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

Hi
I have one with similar age and i can understand

Did you check resorts at Ramgarh (malla): Soulitude in particular.
Check pangot also : both jungle lore and nest are good though there is nothing to do there. Its a birding destination.
We went with our toddler to a homestay ahead of shimla in mashobra : called dakbanglahomes, google around and you will find their FB page. The best part was we could use all facilities/ kitchen to cook food for toddler. Time taken was around 10 hrs to reach to place instead of our normal 6 hr dash to Shimla because of toddler.
Holmes farm in Ranikhet
I agree that Chaukori would be good but distance would be too much for a single drive with a toddler.
All these places would 4-5.5k a night including food. (soulitude will be more expensive with food)

Last edited by deeps79 : 27th September 2012 at 18:51. Reason: added more information
deeps79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 08:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

Thanks deeps. We are going to homestead(?) Villas kasauli. We dont intend to cook or anything

Cya

Name:  ForumRunner_20120929_083015.png
Views: 1064
Size:  289.8 KB
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 11:40   #9
BHPian
 
BANDHAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 880
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

Have a nice and safe journey tau.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 13:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV
Have a nice and safe journey tau.
Thanks uncle for the wishes. We have reached our homestay and i am enjoying the hammock!


Name:  ForumRunner_20120929_133846.png
Views: 1131
Size:  494.5 KB
Attached Images
 
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 01:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default Re: 3-4 days with a frisky 15 month old near Binsar

Here are a few photos from the trip

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dakshga...th/8054583928/
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delhi-Nainital-Binsar route and fooding information ashthedivx Route / Travel Queries 21 14th November 2017 14:10
Empty forest house, dark night, candle, guitar & 3Musketeers: driving Binsar/Nainital hridayjyoti Travelogues 31 1st October 2010 02:46
Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life lordofgondor Travelogues 59 3rd November 2009 14:20
Noida-Binsar Route/Travel update required lordofgondor Route / Travel Queries 4 19th August 2009 19:43
Urgent Info needed for the Almora - Binsar - Kausani trip noviceDriver Route / Travel Queries 46 10th June 2008 14:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks