Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th September 2012, 10:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Arrow JK to UK by road for just 12,000 rupees?

Just came across this article in yahoo which claims that a new 4000 mile bus route will connect Kashmir to Birmingham.

Quote:
..Jammu and Kashmir will now be directly linked by road with the United Kingdom through a direct bus service, says a report.
A new 4,000-mile bus route connecting the city Birmingham, will pass through seven countries, including Iran, before finally reaching its destination, also known as 'Little Birmingham'.
Passengers embarking on the epic 12-day journey are likely to be charged 130 pounds for a ticket, the Daily Mirror reports.
Full article here

Do you guys think it is really feasible to run such a service. Moreover how safe would it be to embark on such a journey?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 26th September 2012 at 10:49.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 11:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: JK to UK by road for just 12,000 rupees?

I for some reason just don't see this happening. Does not sound feasible to me at all.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 12:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

They forgot to mention free entertainment in the form of missiles, bombs and drone attacks.
Free tour of Iranian Jails also possible.

British Bus going through Iran ? Go figure?
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 12:13   #4
BHPian

It is feasible as a tourism gig,i guess! But then it wont be so cheap! I sometimes envy EU for ease if movement across borders. If Asian politics was not so screwed up,it would make for an awesome road trip! China-india-pakistan-afghanistan and back!
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 14:46   #5
BHPian

And how long would it take to reach the destination? Consider the checks (security and immigration) at the entry/exit along with the travelling time.
And yes god knows how the road conditions are in Pakistan and Afganistan and the likes.
trave11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 17:11   #6
BHPian

Post Re: JK to UK by road for just 12,000 rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Do you guys think it is really feasible to run such a service. Moreover how safe would it be to embark on such a journey?
Besides the obviously arduous 12-day long travel in a bus, it also presents the logistical difficulty of having to transit through those 7 countries that have no cross-border understanding unlike say in the EU. Bottomline is, proper if not air-tight, visa/transit norms have to be in place for such a service to be operational. Else how do you guarantee international security when you're talking a journey that literally passes through the hotbed of terrorism/extremism? It could be years before such an agreement is reached between countries as chalk and cheese as the ones in question.

It all very easy for a tabloid reporter to sit in the safety of his/her cozy cubicle in London, snoop around on some governmental conjecture/gossip and file a report based on that. Perhaps just for kicks. Not really thought through in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
They forgot to mention free entertainment in the form of missiles, bombs and drone attacks.
Free tour of Iranian Jails also possible.

British Bus going through Iran ? Go figure?
+1.

Coincidentally we had a lunch-table discussion on those precise snags that are likely to surface in the case of such an unorthodox, if I might say, journey.

It'll be interesting to know what Iran thinks of such an initiative though!

Besides as the report itself says, Quetta in Pakistan is alleged to be a hiding city for a lot of Talib commanders. Think they'd be in the mood of some hospitality huh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
It is feasible as a tourism gig,i guess! But then it wont be so cheap! I sometimes envy EU for ease if movement across borders. If Asian politics was not so screwed up,it would make for an awesome road trip! China-india-pakistan-afghanistan and back!
Exactly my point. My skepticism is based on the fact that here are 4 countries with very different philosophies. Which aren't exactly on congenial terms with each other. Ergo in the case of 7, it will take a superhuman collective effort even to make this viable as a tourism gig.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 26th September 2012 at 17:14.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 18:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would this be proposed?

Tourism? In that part of the world - seems rather stupid. There's practically nothing good in common along that route for someone to take a bus!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 18:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

yaar, it is ending in mirpur, "azad kashmir".

It is not new btw:
http://www.facebook.com/notes/naila-...68389723188143
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...le-bus-1340710

here are some awesome perspectives on such journeys in the past from indiamikers: http://www.indiamike.com/india/cross...-india-t45208/

Last edited by phamilyman : 26th September 2012 at 19:01.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 19:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

A few sets of words and sentiments to describe this.

Too Risky.
Not possible.
Not worth it.
Would much rather fly.
May not reach the other end in one piece.

Etc etc.

Very pessimistic I know, but nothing I have observed over the last twenty or thirty years about the several countries that one has to pass through on the Asian side in order to reach one's destination, inspires me with any kind of confidence. Can I be blamed? According to my lights, no I can't!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote