Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd October 2012, 12:49   #1
BHPian

Default Nugu and Krishnayyana Katte in a day

Greetings.

Looking to do a 1 day trip to Krishnayyanakatte and Nugu from Bangalore

Bangalore - Malavalli - Kollegal - Yelandur - Krishnayyana Katte - Kavalandi -Beerwal - Nanjanagud - Bangalore

Questions :
1. What is the approach road to Krishnayyana Katte from Yelandur ? Does one need to go to Yelandur at all ?

2. Yelandur - Sargur route : Road conditions ? Elephant stretch this : safe post 3 PM ?

3. How far is Nugu Reservoir from Beerwal ? Approach road after or before Beerwal ?

4. Any permissions/restrictions for tourists at Nugu ?

5. Forest checkposts/timings to be aware of ?

Thank you for your help, guys.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:40   #2
BHPian

Default re: Nugu and Krishnayyana Katte in a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Questions :
1. What is the approach road to Krishnayyana Katte from Yelandur ? Does one need to go to Yelandur at all ?
No need to go to Yelanduru. In Kollegala keep moving on the NH towards Yelanduru. As soon as you cross Kollegala, you'll get a bridge across a river. You need to take a left just before this bridge. This is a single, but good road that goes thru several villages and many private vehicles doing BLR-BR Hills regularly take this route, so villagers would be able to guide you (just ask for BR Hills or Vadagere - last village before the forest check post).

After crossing Vadagere, you'll hit a T junction. Left goes to BR Hills (you should be seeing the forest check post here), you take Right towards Yelanduru. Krishnayyanna Katte would be to your left after about 500m or so. Do note that this is the tank bund side of the katte. Don't know how to go to the other side which looks so beautiful.

Prasad

PS: There is a Sleeping Hanuman temple in Vadagere, if you are interested in such things.
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:05   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Nugu and Krishnayyana Katte in a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Krishnayyanna Katte would be to your left after about 500m or so. Do note that this is the tank bund side of the katte. Don't know how to go to the other side which looks so beautiful.
Thanks, Prasad, this will be helpful. Is it even possible to go to the other side ? I mean do you know folks who have gone the other side ?

Also, do you know about Nugu ?

Thank you!
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:20   #4
BHPian

OK, I think I'll do it the other way round. Mysore -> N.Gud -> Turn before Begur towards Sargur -> Beerwal and Nugu reservoir is exactly at that point. Will ask around after reaching Beerwal.
Old 24th October 2012, 15:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Prasad, this will be helpful. Is it even possible to go to the other side ? I mean do you know folks who have gone the other side ?

Also, do you know about Nugu ?
I spoke to a couple of people. Apparently you can approach the other side of Krishanayyana Katte from a village called Honganuru. Now that you've reversed the direction, you'd hit Yelanduru town coming from Nanjangudu and people over there should be able to help. I'm sorry I could not get more information.

I've never been to Nugu and would be waiting for your update/travelogue.

Just curious. Why are you visiting these two relatively unknown places, that too in a single day?

Thanks,

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 20:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. How far is Nugu Reservoir from Beerwal ? Approach road after or before Beerwal ?

4. Any permissions/restrictions for tourists at Nugu ?

5. Forest checkposts/timings to be aware of ?

Thank you for your help, guys.
Nugu dam should be about 5 kms from Beerwala. I don't know if there are restrictions but there should be no elephant issues between Yelandur-Sargur.

One of my friends might probably go to Nugu sometime this week. Will let you know if I get any info from him.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 21:08   #7
BHPian

Went to Nugu and Kabini dam this week. Route plain and simple : Mysore -> Nanjanagud -> Just before Begur turn right -> Beerwal -> Nugu Dam. ( This is the Nanjanagud -> Sargur road )

Alternatively, you can take the Mysore->HD Kote-> Handpost->Beechanahalli->Kabini dam->Nugu Dam route.

This little reservoir is beautiful, the dam is part of a mini hydel project by the same name. Dont't expect fantastic roads, but it's not bad either, decent village road. There are atleast a couple of mini lakes on the way, where you can spot big flocks of ibises and painted storks. Beerwal and Nugu dam themselves lie on the cusp of Bandipur/Nagarahole NPs, so a lot of elephant activity : evident from the forest department boards, elephant poo on the roadside and village boards asking folks to take alternative route via Hosa Beerwal ( if you are going towards Sargur ) to avoid the elephants after late afternoon. The road through the dam to Sargur is closed after 6 ( there is no checkpost, but a big green metal gate is ). I hear folks do not venture out too much after 4 PM.

Just as you near Beerwal, nice views of the backwater start appearing on the left side, and you keep going, it directly takes you to the dam. Dam entrance is closed, we had to go to the nearing guest house, where there are some resident policemen. You get their permission, and they give you strict instructions on not to loiter around and come back quickly.

We went in walked to the other end of the dam and got back quickly.

Proceeded towards Kabini dam, same story there too - heightened security and similar instructions from the policemen there.

Got back via the beautiful Mananthavady-Mysore road ( joining this road at the handpost after beechanahalli ), which is in very good condition.

Quote:
I spoke to a couple of people. Apparently you can approach the other side of Krishanayyana Katte from a village called Honganuru. Now that you've reversed the direction, you'd hit Yelanduru town coming from Nanjangudu and people over there should be able to help. I'm sorry I could not get more information.
Thank you, Prasad, that is very useful, I'll give it a try one of these days.

Quote:
I've never been to Nugu and would be waiting for your update/travelogue.
Hope you read the update

Quote:
Just curious. Why are you visiting these two relatively unknown places, that too in a single day?
Prasad
Because the other places are too mainstream for me . But seriously, this is part of my dam/reservoir chronicling. Up next : Gundal Dam and Suvarnavathi Dam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Nugu dam should be about 5 kms from Beerwala. I don't know if there are restrictions but there should be no elephant issues between Yelandur-Sargur.

One of my friends might probably go to Nugu sometime this week. Will let you know if I get any info from him.
Thanks, Addy. Elephant presence is mainly between Beerwal and Sargur. More than evident as I said.

All in all, a good drive through relatively less known places for me.

Last edited by airguitar : 26th October 2012 at 21:12.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 21:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Went to Nugu and Kabini dam this week. Route plain and simple : Mysore -> Nanjanagud -> Just before Begur turn right -> Beerwal -> Nugu Dam. ( This is the Nanjanagud -> Sargur road )

Thanks AG. More places added to the list for me! Any snaps to show up? That would be great.
Also do they allow photography of the backwaters from the dam ?

Last edited by ampere : 26th October 2012 at 21:22.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 21:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks AG. More places added to the list for me!
Any snaps to show up? That would be great.
Sure, Ampere. I will post over the weekend on this thread. I was hoping to start a Dam/Reservoir thread in the coming days, but I guess, I may never get around to doing it :(