Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th November 2012, 20:05   #1
BHPian

Default Vacation idea for a noiseless Diwali

Hello all,

Can anyone suggest some place, ex-bangalore, about 300-500 kms away where one can spend a quite diwali. That means, a place where the locals do not spend a lot of time bursting crackers.

I was wondering if there was such a place within Karnataka. Any suggestion on how the coastal belt will be during this time?

We are not looking at jungle options because we want to be relatively closer to medical/emergency facilities etc. So prefer a beachside near the coastal belt which is worth spending 3 days at.

Any other suggestions are welcome too. I dont mind going further if it entails travel on the Golden quad toward Mumbai.

We will travel by the Linea.

Thanks
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 20:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vacation idea for a noiseless diwali

Quote:
We are not looking at jungle options because we want to be relatively closer to medical/emergency facilities etc. So prefer a beachside near the coastal belt which is worth spending 3 days at.
Try Murudeshwar, there is Naveen Residency right on the beach with balconies overlooking the beach.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 20:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Hello all,

Can anyone suggest some place, ex-bangalore, about 300-500 kms away where one can spend a quite diwali. That means, a place where the locals do not spend a lot of time bursting crackers.

Thanks
The central & Malabar region of Kerala does not celebrate Diwali. Those places would be a good place to enjoy a noiseless Diwali.

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 21:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was such a place within Karnataka. Any suggestion on how the coastal belt will be during this time?

Any other suggestions are welcome too. I dont mind going further if it entails travel on the Golden quad toward Mumbai.

We will travel by the Linea.

Thanks
Kadamane Estates at Sakleshpur can be an option along with Valparai.However getting bookings at this late moment for any place within the country is going to be quite difficult considering that its a very long weekend.If you do manage to get them,in all probability you might end up paying a premium.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 21:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Look for a place that houses a bird santuary like vedanthangal in TN where people generally don't light up crackers.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 21:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

You know what? It was just today evening that I was asking people around me for ideas for places I could escape to. I've really sensitive hearing and I absolutely hate the noise, booms, and bangs every year during diwali. I wish people would be more considerate with the bombs.

I'm from Hyderabad. Can anyone suggest good places to hide my ears this diwali?
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 00:40   #7
BHPian

why not http://gorukana.org/ ...to and fro from Bangalore would be around 500 kms and the Vivekananda Girijana Kalyana Kendra (VGKK) run by Dr Sudarshan is nearby.Please note , this hospital is not Apollo / Sagar but is for the Soliga tribes. Once when we were on a trek , we did get an opportunity to visit them for a medical emergency and which the doctor did attend.
Do ignore if you are very particular about nearness to a town for advanced medical needs.
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 00:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
You know what? It was just today evening that I was asking people around me for ideas for places I could escape to. I've really sensitive hearing and I absolutely hate the noise, booms, and bangs every year during diwali. I wish people would be more considerate with the bombs.

If I were you, a few take aways from my wish list would be as below -

1. Ahobilam - but for this you really need to look for accommodation
2. Chintapalli forest range - Bhadrachalam to Rampachodavaram or maredumilli - Tourism GH is there
3. Dindi - Tourism GH is there
4. Araku Vally - if not visited already
rnidumolu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 09:30   #9
AWD
BANNED

Great that OP created thread on this, I was myself thinking ways to escape the crackers madness. Any ideas for North, where cracker bursting is even severe. Any quiet areas in & around Himachal, Punjab...?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 11:06   #10
BHPian

Diwali is not celebrated in most of kerala.

You could go to munnar, wayanad, kumarakom backwaters in kottayam and a lot of places where you will have complete peace of mind.

All the best with your plans. Happy 'peaceful' diwali in advance.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 12:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Great that OP created thread on this, I was myself thinking ways to escape the crackers madness. Any ideas for North, where cracker bursting is even severe. Any quiet areas in & around Himachal, Punjab...?
If you are ready to spend a bit, give a shot to Marigold cottages in Mashobra, 20 km from Shimla. I had been there last Diwali, they had about 30 minutes of cracker bursting on the 1st day, but it was limited to noiseless crackers. They have cottages for stay, it's pure veg and a bit isolated, which guarantees that you can spend your vacation in peace.

Here is their site: http://www.marigoldcottagesshimla.com/main.html

Last edited by prateekm : 8th November 2012 at 12:36.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 12:57   #12
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
If you are ready to spend a bit, give a shot to Marigold cottages in Mashobra, 20 km from Shimla. it's pure veg and a bit isolated, which guarantees that you can spend your vacation in peace
Thnaks, looks great. Yes budget is not an issue but "pure veg" is. Cannot think of a Diwali sans non-veg!
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 13:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Thnaks, looks great. Yes budget is not an issue but "pure veg" is. Cannot think of a Diwali sans non-veg!
Same here, I'm a hardcore non-veggie too But the veg food there is quite decent. You can drive to Shimla if you need non-veg (there might be restaurants in Mashobra serving non-veg, but we didn't give it a try).
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 13:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
That means, a place where the locals do not spend a lot of time bursting crackers.
Actually you can visit any town with a population of less than 1 lakh, provided there is a good hotel/lodge available. It's only the city dwellers who burst crackers 'non-stop' during festivals.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 14:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
The central & Malabar region of Kerala does not celebrate Diwali. Those places would be a good place to enjoy a noiseless Diwali.

-- Wind
Thanks for the suggestion. I am only worried about getting to Kannur side by road from Bangalore. It would be 400+ kms but it is extremely tough (in my view) on a sedan. Bathery route or mangalore route is bad, is what I hear but this is a good idea. Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post

Srisailam is a good idea, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
why not http://gorukana.org/ ...to and fro from Bangalore would be around 500 kms and the Vivekananda Girijana Kalyana Kendra (VGKK) run by Dr Sudarshan is nearby.Please note , this hospital is not Apollo / Sagar but is for the Soliga tribes. Once when we were on a trek , we did get an opportunity to visit them for a medical emergency and which the doctor did attend.
Do ignore if you are very particular about nearness to a town for advanced medical needs.
not particular about advanced medical care. I checked out the site at at 3.5 to 4k, it is a bit out of what I want to budget for the trip. I am looking to spend 3 nights so thats going to add up quite a lot. Thanks for sharing though. I can visit sometime for a night or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Diwali is not celebrated in most of kerala.

You could go to munnar, wayanad, kumarakom backwaters in kottayam and a lot of places where you will have complete peace of mind.

All the best with your plans. Happy 'peaceful' diwali in advance.
am a Native of Cherai so I wanted to keep south kerala as a last option. Plus I do not want to drive in TN with a KA registered car. Cos I know my luck

I stayed at Murudeshwar few times before and I am not really looking forward to going to that particular beach site again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am leaning towards north kerala now. Does anyone have feedback on what people on the coastal karnataka side do on diwali? A colleague told me that mangalore can be loud. What about the stretch between mangalore and Goa.. any feedback on that?
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote