Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 16:20   #1
BHPian

Question Delhi to Rann of Kutch

Folks,

Am planning to visit Rann (both) in december this year by road from Delhi with another friend who will be on his bike. Need your advise on best routes and a final itenarary. Bike is RE Classic 350. Here are dates. Have been to Leh earlier and driven so driving long rides is not a pain, but love it. can even extend and come back by 30th.

22nd Dec, 2012 - Start early morning from Delhi, and try to reach Mt Abu
23rd - Mt Abu to LR
24th - LR to Greater Rann
25th - GR to Daman
26th - Stay in Daman
27th - Stay in Daman
28th - Start from Daman back to Delhi, and stay enroute
29th - Reach Delhi

Last edited by cutdcrap : 1st December 2012 at 16:22.
cutdcrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st December 2012, 16:59   #2
BHPian

Default re: Delhi to Rann of Kutch

After a long time since we last met at leh trip.

Great Rann to Daman can be a bit of ask. If you meant Diu, then it can be done. Otherwise you will have to break it.

You are not giving yourself anytime in great rann. There's white rann (Kutch festival is around the corner), Lakhpat fort, India Gate,which i think is a must.

Delhi to Mount Abu: Do it via Kishangarh > Chittorgarh > Bhilwara > Udaipur > Mount Abu. The roads are fantastic, but it will be around 12 hours of drive. So do starts real early.

And why don't you include Gir (if Diu is on cards)

Last edited by abbey4u : 1st December 2012 at 17:04.
abbey4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:16   #3
BHPian

Wink Re: Delhi to Rann of Kutch

Yes abbey4u, that has been a long time indeed.Why dont we catch up during this period indeed.
1. Yes I was wanting to visit Daman & Diu, but if Daman is not possible, or would take more time, I would rather drop it and visit Diu only
2. Oops, I missed this. Yes, would definitely want to be a part of festival. So, does this look feasible:

22nd Dec, 2012 - Start early morning from Delhi, and try to reach Mt Abu
23rd - Mt Abu to LR
24th- Stay in LR (Have to catch up Rann festival)
24th - LR to Greater Rann
25th - Stay in GR (Lakpat Fort, India gate)
26th - GR to Diu
27th - Stay in Diu
28th - Start from Diu back to Delhi, and stay enroute
29th - Reach Delhi
Old 5th December 2012, 16:50   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Delhi to Rann of Kutch

Hi,

Specifically considering that you have a biker following you, your plans seem rushed.

While it can be OK doing 900+ kms in a day in a car. On a bullet, it'll be a different ball game altogether for him.

The Rann Utsav is held in the Greater Rann of Kutch. Details can be found here : http://gis.gujarattourism.com/

Would recommend skipping Diu if Rann is your priority. You can easily complete Kutch in the timeframe you have given.
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 19:36   #5
BHPian

Hi cutdcrap,

As Jay pointed out above, the Rann festival is held in the GRK. also, I was told that the last week is sold out (accommodation part, that is). As an aside, you can consider the following route that google maps wouldnt show you:

Day 1- Delhi - jodhpur (usual NH8 mess but post Beawar, it's a good two lane highway to Jodhpur).

Day 2 - From jodhpur go to Pachpadra (on barmer road), then take the rajasthan mega highway's Phalodi to Ramji ki gol alignment. Gmaps doesnt have a location for Ramji ki Gol but the point where SH28 cuts NH15, that's where you'd emerge. Plot the following on GMaps: Jodhpur>>Pachpadra>>Sanchore>>Bhuj.

Gmaps correctly plots this route and shows that the route will pass through Balotra, Sindri and Sanchore. These are the newest roads of Rajasthan (completed in 2010 and are a pleasure to drive / ride on - though somewhat desolate.

We had taken a part of this route and the photos are on my blog here: http://stalenews.blogspot.in/ (there's a report about diwali trip 2011). I started a TR about it here but then lost steam midway.

This way both your legs are split evenly in terms of ride time and distance (600 km each).

The route is also less busy than the Pali route to get to Abu Road. The Chittor route is also less busy but it's longer AFAIK.

Hope this helps

Vaibhav

p.s. note to mods: I've included my blog link in this post, hope that's OK as i didnt see anything to the contrary in posting guidelines.
vaibhav_a_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 22:39   #6
BHPian

Talking Re: Delhi to Rann of Kutch

Thanks Vaibhav and Bapu. Here is what we plan to do, will finalize tomorrow with my colleague Vivek who is accompanying me on the trip.

Plan 1
22nd Dec, 2012 - Start early morning from Delhi, and reach Jodhpur
23rd - Jodhpur to Bhuj
24th- Stay in Bhuj (For Local sighteseeing - Banni Villages, and getting permits for Dhordo, Khavda, Kalo Dungar, Dholavira and India Bridge)
25th Bhuj Khavda Vigakot Border Post - Kalo Dungar - Dhordo
26th - Stay in Dhordo
27th Dhordo Lakhpat Koteshwar - Narayan Sarovar - Bhuj
28th Bhuj Dholavira - Radhanpur
29th Radhanpur - Ajmer
30th Ajmer Delhi

Plan 2
22nd Dec, 2012 - Start early morning from Delhi, and reach Jodhpur
23rd - Jodhpur to Radhanpur
24th Radhanpur Dholavira - Bhuj
25th- Stay in Bhuj (For Local sighteseeing - Banni Villages, and getting permits for Dhordo, Khavda, Kalo Dungar, Dholavira and India Bridge)
26th Bhuj Khavda Vigakot Border Post - Kalo Dungar - Dhordo
27th - Stay in Dhordo
28th Dhordo Lakhpat Koteshwar - Narayan Sarovar - Bhuj
29th Bhuj Somnath
29th Somnath - Gir
30th Gir Diu
31st Diu Udaipur
1st Udaipur - Delhi

Meanwhile, a visit to Karol Bagh, Royal Enfield delaer for a bike checkup + brand new Motul synthetic engine oil tanked up and I am almost sorted with the stuff I need to carry. Saddle bag and foot pump also ready.
Old 17th December 2012, 06:12   #7
BHPian

I will be traveling to bhuj too with my wife and kids.
My plan is:-
22nd night Sonipat>> Jaisalmer
23-24-25 evening Jaisalmer and its surroundings
25th evening to 26th Morning Jaisalmer>> Bhuj
26-27-28-29 Bhuj and its surroundings.
29th evening 30th morning Bhuj >> Jaipur
30th-31st Jaipur
1st Jan back home.

Last edited by rohitbagai : 17th December 2012 at 06:14.
rohitbagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 11:26   #8
BHPian

Hi

I am logging in after a long time!

I would be planning a trip to Bhuj from Delhi. Can someone help me with the following info:

1. Road route with distances and travel time
2. Food halts and Petrol pumps enroute
3. I will be driving by night. Is this a safe route by night?
4. Road condition.

Thanks in anticipation, this forum has always been of immense help and have also tried to help when possible
DRIVEPASSION is offline   Reply With Quote