Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th December 2012, 12:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chennai to Bhutan and back in 8 days?

I was going through the form that needs to be filled up
Had a doubt about the following questions
1. Bhutan Adress & phone number
2. Visit Group
This form needs to be submitted upon entry right? so how would we know our adress and phone number in advance?
What does visit group mean ?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 16:07   #17
BHPian

Ideally, the name, address and the ph number of the hotel where you'll be staying at Thimpu/Paro. You would be booking them beforehand, right?

You don't to fill up for each individual. You can give +x or the names at the "visit group" column.

There's a form collection centre at Phuntsheling, where you can fill up the forms. You dont even need to carry the forms, you can get them there. Bhutan police is courteous and will help you in every step.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 17:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

my friend who is organizing it is confident we'll get a room somewhere, and if we book in advance we will get ripped off. Lets see
Old 7th December 2012, 19:28   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Don't know if you have started or not. But take a look at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2961922

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 19:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

We were planning to go via the NH2 route ( the one that comes almost till calcutta and then onto the durgapur road to bardhaman rather than go via durgapur to bardhaman. this doesnt seem to be on that route ?
Old 16th December 2012, 21:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Bardhaman Route was incredibly bad. We lost at least 6 hours going via the route. My friends asked me to convey their choicest regards to those who suggested taking this route. The road was so bad that it wasn't even funny- huge holes, potholes, exposed concrete slabs from bridges, huge drops on both sides of the roads, trucks going both ways kicking up dirt, we hit our underside at least a couple of times, bent our tow hook and intercooler bracket.

We took NH34 the whole way back, a bit longer and a bit more crowded, but still better. My friends said that West Bengal had arguably the Worst Roads they had ever driven on (and they've driven through most of the states in india), and the only reason they wanted to drive through it was because the law and order was better in WB, and that too we found out wasn't that ironclad - we had cops trying to extort money from us for no apparent reason in WB also. We managed to escape because we had a member of the press with us who was well connected.

WB also seems a lot like kerala, but I think Swami Vivekananda would think twice about calling kerala an asylum, especially given the state of affairs in his home state. On the way, I saw lorry drivers being beaten up by gangs with iron rods, bikers with helmets for hitting them, bikers riding around without any registration, all over the road, and all sorts of incredible things. No offence to those from WB, but I'd think twice about travelling via WB next time, and recommend the same to others too.

Will post the pix and travelogue a little later. Cheers
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 10:35   #22
BHPian

Default Chennai - Paro (Bhutan) - Bike ride planned from 9th to 17th April.

Hello,

I start this year with my annual Bike ride on "Akarachi" my trusted CBR 250R from Chennai to Bhutan - I am seeking for inputs and advice from people in the forum and any help is more than welcome. I have done solo rides from Chennai to Shirdi twice in the past, once through Hyderabad and once through Pune. The longest distance covered in th past in one day is from shirdi to Shimoga about 800 odd km i think but on the hubli dharwad road !

This time I am also being joined by my colleague on his CBR 250R - so in some ways its the first time I am riding with someone - Finally someone to join me on my madness . Listing below the route and the schedule for inputs - Never been on this road beyond vizag.

Day 1 - Saturday 9th Apr - Chennai to vizag 790 Km - Night stay in Vizag
Day 2- Sunday 10th Apr - Vizag to kharagpur 780 km - Stay in Kharagpur
Day 3- Monday 11th Apr - Kharagpur to Siliguri 611 km - Stay in Siliguri
Day 4- Tuesday 12th Apr - Siliguri to Paro 350 Stay in Paro

Day 5- Wednesday 13th Apr - Stay in Thimpu/Paro

Day 6 - Thursday 14th Apr - Paro to siliguri 350 km - Stay in Siliguri
Day 7- Friday 15th Apr - siliguri to Kharagpur 618km - Stay in Kharagpur
Day 8- Saturday 16th Apr - Kharagpur to Vizag 780 - Stay in vizag
Day 9- Sunday 17th Apr - vizag to Chennai 790

We are carrying the original RC, Original License, and our passport incase they want to check at the entry point.

Looking forward to all inputs !!

Thanks,

Srinivas
Srini76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 12:17   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai - Paro (Bhutan) - Bike ride planned from 9th to 17th April.

Sorry to cast a shadow over your plans but what is the idea behind such a ride. Call me conservative but I cant see any intention other than a test of endurance of both man and machine. 800 km a day will give you no real chance to enjoy the vista during and after the ride each day.
Our modern highways aren't very picturesque either. My option would be to transport the bike by train / truck to Kolkata and then do a leisurely NE trip including Sikkim and Darjeeling.
Do enjoy your trip though and post your experience for us armchair critics.
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 12:50   #24
BHPian

Hi Fiestarry,

No worries on your thought, I have been asked this many a times - For me per se, apart from the endurance its about calming my mind. For 12 months in a year I do nothing except worry about numbers (I head sales therefore) and issues related to my work which is dynamic in many forms.

when I ride, beyond the 1st half day i dont think about work, issues, problems nothing ! i am only focused on reaching the next destination _ in any case i am absolutely in love with the highways and love the drive/ride (ride in this case). As stated I ride solo, and this time around i am riding with a colleague - this is almost like meditation for me for its minimal talking, aiming to get somewhere, cannot afford too many breaks, being disciplined right from waking up on time to taking controlled breaks and not riding at night.

In summary - its doing something very different from day to day and not sounding selfish but pure "me time". I don't listen to music when i ride either - its just me, my ride, and the open highway !!

I hope I am not sounding too insane :-)

thanks,

srini
Srini76 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 15:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Dear Srini

I completely echo your sentiments.
I too am heading Sales and can relate to your predicament.

Having done numerous bike road trips before wifey cut short my biking trips to zilch, here are some basic points that you need to keep in mind. Mind you, I was part of the biking group called Biking Nomads and used to bike crazy before "settling" down with marriage and a domesticated life ;-)
  • Keep yourself hydrated. Try to infuse energy/electrolytes as you are driving long distances
  • Always wear a full face helmet with a good quality visor. Wind and dust will tire you a lot faster as you are travelling long distances everyday.
  • Keep the bike essentials with you. Dont forget a couple of tyre tubes with valves as well(though you have tubeless tyres). In God Forsaken stretches, this may come in very handy. Extra headlight bulbs, a foot air pump, clutch cables etc may come in handy as well
  • Try to give yourself and a bike rest after every two hours of journey for at least 15-20 mins. Try to rest at least for 45 mins after every 400 kms of riding. If you get a charpai to rest your back on, nothing like it
  • Always remember to check your bike tyre pressure on a cold tyre. If you fill in air in a hot tyre, you may eventually have lower pressure than you earlier had. Alternatively, you could run on Nitrogen for the duration
You may like to reconsider the routes as 800 kms back to back may be too strenuous especially in the hills.

Please bear in mind that the avg. speed in hills will be substantially lower than the highways. Hence, you could effectively be looking at close to 15-16 hours of riding time for 800 kms.

Suggest, you extend the trip by two more days(though I understand leaves may be an issue-CALL SICK option) and make the trip enjoyable as well as relaxing!!

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th March 2016 at 15:28. Reason: Thread moved to route queries section, removing references. Thanks
arnabchak is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 15:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Thread moved to Route / Travel Queries from Travelogues section. Thanks
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 21:45   #27
BHPian

Hi srini,

That's an ambitious plan you have there. Hope you have done the homework by reading travelogues and confident with the routes. My honest opinion is that anything beyond 500 km a day is not fun even in a car let alone bike. And why Bhutan? what's special there. I do feel that you can find many fascinating places nearby, still qualify for a long ride. Btw, how did you convince everyone at home? I pleaded like anything for an 1500 km round trip, solo by car.
Ajay_the_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 09:26   #28
BHPian

Arnab : Thanks for the kind words, point taken that it might be a push on the last day reaching Paro, there has been a discussion with a bunch of people who have done this ride, the ride on Day 4 is now slightly modified s listed below,

Day 4 - Siliguri to Phuentsholing and stay there while completing entry paperwork.

Day 5 - Phuentsholing to Thimpu and stay in Thimpu
Day 6 - Stay in Thimpu
Day 7 Return journey starts as planned earlier.

Would you think this is a better plan ??

Ajay - Bhutan has always fascinated me, I have heard so many good things about Bhutan and more so the hills always get my fancy !! About convincing people at home, I dont do anything crazy throughout the year, its just 10 days of MY time and folks and wifey let me have it !! a 10 day slot has always been non negotiable for me. :-) . Sometime I jusst get lucky i suppose.!!

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 11:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

I'd say give a bit more time for the road from bardhaman onwards. Chennai to bardhaman are well maintained highways, and you can breeze through them easily. From there till phuentsholing are all state highways passing through towns and have heavy village traffic.

so please put some buffer there.

Are you planning to ride by day or night ? We used to plan so that drives passed through cities/towns in the night.

also, you'll encounter fog as you go further north - so put some buffer for that - don't drive through them alone ( we tailgated lorries at a safe distance)

Last edited by greenhorn : 28th March 2016 at 11:10.
Old 28th March 2016, 17:55   #30
BHPian

Dear green horn,

Thank you for the note, since we are riding in we generally do not ride at night at all, latest is about 8:00 pm or so and then we find a hotel and sleep the night out !!

We are planning to go from siliguri to Phuentsholing with the previous night being at Silliguri, and as we reach Pheuntsholing we intend get the paperwork done and rest there, with all paperwork cleared we would like to leave the next day early towards thimpu, say around 7:00 am departure or so. Will it be possible that we get the entry permit the previous day, stay back and then depart the next day morning ? The entire idea of staying back is to ensure that the paperwork is done.

As for the buffer, we are holding 2 days on the return trip as buffer.

Looking forward to your inputs !!

Srini
Srini76 is offline   Reply With Quote