Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th December 2012, 20:40   #1
BHPian

Default Chennai Bypass Query (Nellore to Sabarimala)

Hi all,

Enroute Sabarimala, from Nellore, we would be passing through Chennai. The route is this : Nellore - Chennai - Chengalpat - Tindivanam - Peramabalur - Trichy - Dindigal - Periyakulam - Sabarimala.

How do we avoid Chennai city? Also, please let me know the general road condition.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 20:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Chennai Bypass Query (Nellore to Sabarimala)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Hi all,

Enroute Sabarimala, from Nellore, we would be passing through Chennai. The route is this : Nellore - Chennai - Chengalpat - Tindivanam - Peramabalur - Trichy - Dindigal - Periyakulam - Sabarimala.

How do we avoid Chennai city? Also, please let me know the general road condition.
The other option :

Nellore-Gudur-Nayadupeta-Tirupati bypass - Chandragiri- Chitoor-Palamaner-Venkatagirikota-Krishnagiri Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Sabarimala.

This route though is 2-lane roads at many places, but will not slow you down as traffic is very low and there are no major cities to bypass except
Salem. For Salem bypass is well marked and is easy.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 19:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Chennai City has a toll byepass road, right from Redhills(NH5) to Perungalatur(NH45). But this is congested during peak hours esp in the evenings, but saves huge time in avoiding the Chennai city.
ramanan.skr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 13:17   #4

Quote:
Hi all,

Hi SimplySelf,
The Chennai bypass that Ramanan has mentioned should work well for you. The road condition is sort of ok. Not super smooth like till you hit Chennai or after Chennai, but it works. Melted tar on some of the banked turns might rumble the car a bit. Traffic will be pretty spaced mostly. You'll skip by Chennai in about 25 mins flat. There's a gas station too near its end. Towards the end, stay on your right - the left turn to Chennai comes on a bit abruptly in my view. After Chengalpat, you can fly unhindered as there'll be some commute traffic till there.
Have a safe journey!
ognale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 12:38   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai Bypass Query (Nellore to Sabarimala)

Quote:
Hi all,

Simplyself, I plan to go Sabari in Nov'13. Did you go on the proposed route, last year? How was the route? Can you kindly give some inputs?

- Sai

PS: Any idea about the route suggested by 'ampere'?
Vihari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 13:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
Simplyself, I plan to go Sabari in Nov'13. Did you go on the proposed route, last year? How was the route? Can you kindly give some inputs?

- Sai

If you are going to Sabari Malai from Hyd, why go via Chennai ?

Hyd-Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni....

Isnt that the standard route ?

The OP had asked for directions from Nellore. Hence proposal of the earlier route.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 20:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are going to Sabari Malai from Hyd, why go via Chennai ?

Hyd-Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni....

Isnt that the standard route ?

The OP had asked for directions from Nellore. Hence proposal of the earlier route.
Ampere, actually I have posted my query in new thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ute-query.html (Hyderabad / Vijayawada to Sabarimala - Route query)

Reposting here:

Going to Sabarimala from Hyderabad / Vizag. I will be Starting from Hyd at 8 am in my Ritz, on 17.11.2013. My cousin Prasad will come from Vizag and plans to join either at Vijayawada or Ongole.

Now the question is : From Ongole to Sabarimala, Google shows two routes - from naidupeta to dindigul there are two routes suggested.

Which route is BETTER -

1. Naidupeta - Sullurpeta - Chennai - Tambaram - Chengalpattu - Thindivanam - Villupuram - Perambur - Tiruchirapalli - Dindigul;

or

2. Naidupeta - Srikalahasthi - Tirupati - Chittoor - Vellore - Ambur - Vaniyambadi - Krsihnagiri - Dharmapuri - Velur - Karur - Dindigul.

We will be starting from Ongole at around 2:30 PM. So where to plan night halt in both the routes?
So, that is why I was asking for the better route.

However, people were suggesting for taking route via chennai (ofcourse - bypassing chennai) since it is 4 laned and the surface is good.

- Sai

Last edited by Vihari : 14th September 2013 at 20:31.
Vihari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 20:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, people were suggesting for taking route via chennai (ofcourse - bypassing chennai) since it is 4 laned and the surface is good.
I did not realize you had a constrain of route via Ongole. Now since that part is clear, I think +1 to the suggestion of going via Chennai. Main reasons being:

- Vlllore-Krishnagiri is bad. Even if you try to beat that by taking Chittor-Palamaner-Krishnagiri, you get into too many 2-lane roads.
- For that reasons alone going via Chennai is much better.
- I dont know how is the traffic on Chennai bypass. How ever yes, it would take you south of Tambaram and on to GST.
Old 15th September 2013, 19:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:

- Sai

If u start from Hyderabad, going along on NH 7 is better. Unless u want to visit places.

After Dharmapuri, you may turn right at Toppur checkpost to Mettur, Bhavani, Avanashi, Coimbatore, Palakkad, Trissur, Kaladi, Sabarimala.

The one I travelled last year was the one that was mentioned earlier. I chose that route because we started from Miryalguda. This route was about 2500 km roundabout where return journey was thru Trichy, Tanjavur, Chidambaram, Pondy and then on to ECR to Chennai, Nellore and so on.

Another one is thru Bangalore, Mysore, Gundalpet, Guruvayur. I haven't travelled this way.

One another is going thru Srisailam, Mahanandi, Allagadda , Mydukur, Kadapa, Rayachoti, Piler, Chittor, Vellore, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, Toppur checkpost, Mettur and so on.

Another variation of this route is from Rayachoti go thru Madanpalle, Punganur, Palamaner, Kuppam, Krishnagiri and so on.

If u have any specific places in mind to visit, u please let us know.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 19:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Ampere, actually I have posted my query in new thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ute-query.html (Hyderabad / Vijayawada to Sabarimala - Route query)

Reposting here:

Going to Sabarimala from Hyderabad / Vizag. I will be Starting from Hyd at 8 am in my Ritz, on 17.11.2013. My cousin Prasad will come from Vizag and plans to join either at Vijayawada or Ongole.

Now the question is : From Ongole to Sabarimala, Google shows two routes - from naidupeta to dindigul there are two routes suggested.

Which route is BETTER -

1. Naidupeta - Sullurpeta - Chennai - Tambaram - Chengalpattu - Thindivanam - Villupuram - Perambur - Tiruchirapalli - Dindigul;

or

2. Naidupeta - Srikalahasthi - Tirupati - Chittoor - Vellore - Ambur - Vaniyambadi - Krsihnagiri - Dharmapuri - Velur - Karur - Dindigul.

We will be starting from Ongole at around 2:30 PM. So where to plan night halt in both the routes?
So, that is why I was asking for the better route.

- Sai
The former is better as it is shorter and superb.

On the latter option, the road between Vellore and Krishnagiri (NH 4) was quite good in 2011.

But go thru the former route as it is shorter and superb. Also, once u enter the forest, the road is quite thrilling and scenic.

Night rest may not be problem after u cross Chennai. Inevitably all male trip, no problems abt night halt.

I too plan to go to Sabari in November. Most probably on 25 Nov.
Though dates and mode of travel not yet finalized.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 12:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

What are the options to bypass Chennai while coming from North and going towards South? Ongole/Nellore going towards Trichy/Madurai.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 12:50   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
What are the options to bypass Chennai while coming from North and going towards South? Ongole/Nellore going towards Trichy/Madurai.
I would suggest:

Tada-Thiruvallur-Sriperumbudur-Oragadam-Singaperumal Koil.

Route Link

Another option can be: Naidupeta-Kalahasti-Tirupati bypass - Arakkonam - Kanchi - Chengalpet (But this means you need to go through Kanchi. No byasses available)

Route Link

I would suggest the second option. That also gives you a place to break on the way (Kanchi).

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2014 at 12:56.
Old 4th December 2014, 13:17   #13
BHPian

I think the second option above is really circuitous. better option would be to stick to NH5 and get onto Madhuravoyil Bypass all the way Vandalur.
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 13:43   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
I think the second option above is really circuitous. better option would be to stick to NH5 and get onto Madhuravoyil Bypass all the way Vandalur.
I think its about 30 km detour, and much less on traffic. Hence my suggestion. Can you suggest the exact route on NH5? Just wanted to know where all one can face traffic around Chennai.

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2014 at 13:47.
Old 4th December 2014, 14:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think its about 30 km detour, and much less on traffic. Hence my suggestion. Can you suggest the exact route on NH5? Just wanted to know where all one can face traffic around Chennai.
Yes. Traffic can be a problem just before you get on to the bypass road. But still I guess this route makes more sense. Naidupet Kalahasti stretch and Kalahasti - Tirupati stretch are not in great shape anyway.

Follow NH5 till red hills. Then after crossing the Puzhal jail, you get a ramp to get onto the Madhuravoyil bypass... and you will get off this road at Perangalatthur/Vandalur.
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote