Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 13:02   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 39
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Day 4 : We spent at Puri
Day 5 : In the morning at around 8 AM we started from Puri towards Panchalingeswar. This we went vida Bhubaneswar by-pass, Cuttack and took a left turn from Highway at Balasore towards Panchalingeswar.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-crossroads.jpg  

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-countryside1.jpg  

imove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 15:47   #62
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 277
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Bhubaneswar to Angul

Hi,

I am from Bangalore and have to be in Angul (Orissa) tomorrow.
Would be flying to Bhubaneswar.

From there is it better to take a Train to Angul
Or a Cab.

G.Maps shows a distance of 145KM by road, not sure if the roads are good or in bad condition ?

Any pointers from someone from that area on the time it would take by road would be much helpful.

-Fillmore.

Last edited by Fillmore : 31st July 2014 at 16:02.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 16:08   #63
BHPian
 
KALINGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PUNE
Posts: 695
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Bhubaneswar to Angul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi,

I am from Bangalore and have to be in Angul (Orissa) tomorrow.
Would be flying to Bhubaneswar.

From there is it better to take a Train to Angul
Or a Cab.

G.Maps shows a distance of 145KM by road, not sure if the roads are good or in bad condition ?

Any pointers from someone from that area on the time it would take by road would be much helpful.

-Fillmore.
yes,you can take a taxi to Angul. the road is in good shape.
Even you can find trains from Bhubaneswar railway station.
Also you can get AC/Express Bus services to Angul.

If budget is not a concern take a taxi. No issue with road.

EDIT : You are safe in Odisha. great food .....
If you have time then go to Puri and enjoy the evening in the Sea beach and Jagannath temple.
In Bhubaneswar you can go to NandanKanan Zoo (one of the largest zoo in Asia, the place of White tiger.)

Last edited by KALINGA : 31st July 2014 at 16:19.
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 16:10   #64
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 277
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: Bhubaneswar to Angul

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
yes,you can take a taxi to Angul. the road is in good shape.
Even you can find trains from Bhubaneswar railway station.
Also you can get AC/Express Bus services to Angul.

If budget is not a concern take a taxi. No issue with road.
Thanks a lot. I would be travelling with my wife and she was a bit apprehensive.
i.e. Since we have never been to that part of the country.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 05:21   #65
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 422
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

How is the highway conditions from Kolkata to Puri,vis-a-vis current floods in Odisha ?
Floods have been in Jajpur,Balasore,Bhadrak,Cuttack,Khurda and Puri districts of Odisha recently,and it got worse due to release of water in Mahanadi.

So can anybody give an update on whether it is possible to go to Puri by car now ? How is the stretch of NH60 and then NH5 ?
Anybody from Cuttack,BBSR with any update on road conditions at Jaleshwar border,Balasore,Soro,Bhadrak,Jajpur,Cuttack,BBSR and Puri ?
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 14:09   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 36
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Hello, have a couple of questions about the checkpost at Jaleswar, WB-OR border.

1) Do they still collect road tax of 800 rupees from every passing vehicle?

2) Does one have to pay this amount every time that they cross the WB-OR border? Or, once paid you don't have to pay for a certain period of time?

Thanks.
Arka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 16:00   #67
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hello, have a couple of questions about the checkpost at Jaleswar, WB-OR border.

1) Do they still collect road tax of 800 rupees from every passing vehicle?

2) Does one have to pay this amount every time that they cross the WB-OR border? Or, once paid you don't have to pay for a certain period of time?

Thanks.
No such thing is there anymore.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 00:42   #68
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
They are constructing a bypass(6lane) to puri before entering bhubaneswar. It will be ready before 2015 for nabakalebara festival at puri that comes once in12 years.
I plan to visit Puri for the upcoming "Nabakalebara" festival, which I think will coincide with the "Rathayatra" ceremony this year. Is there any traffic restriction in Puri town during that time? Knowledgeable persons please respond.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 19:25   #69
BHPian
 
Arkesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 135
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I plan to visit Puri for the upcoming "Nabakalebara" festival, which I think will coincide with the "Rathayatra" ceremony this year. Is there any traffic restriction in Puri town during that time? Knowledgeable persons please respond.
Make sure to book your hotel well in advance. There will be total regulation of traffic during that period as they are expecting large foot falls this year due to nabakalebara. I will let you know more about it later when i get to know.
Arkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 22:37   #70
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
Make sure to book your hotel well in advance. There will be total regulation of traffic during that period as they are expecting large foot falls this year due to nabakalebara.
I plan to reach Bhubaneswar by car on the early morning on the day of Rathayatra. i shall be accompanied by another friend of mine. We shall first check into a hotel at Bhubaneswar (preferably close to the railway station) and park our car there. As I am been told that there will be severe traffic restriction at Puri (with all cars stopped well outside of town), I wish to take a train to reach Puri station and catch an auto-rickshaw to reach the temple area. I plan to return to Bhubaneswar shortly after noon. After taking a brief rest, I plan to meet an old friend at the evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
I will let you know more about it later when i get to know.
Thanks. Any suggestion or idea from your side will be highly appreciated.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:34   #71
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Visiting Puri for Rathayatra

Friends,
I wish to visit Puri for the upcoming Rathayatra festival. This year the ceremony will coincide with the "Nabakalebara" festival (which I believe is held once in every twelve years), in which the idol of Lord Jagannatha will be replaced with a newer one. The Rathayatra of Lord Jagannath is itself a very spectacular festival, which is telecast live and is attended by innumerable people from all across this country. This year I am sure it will attract significantly more number of tourists and devotees, due to this added importance.

Under this situation, may I please have some information on how to attend this festival and take part of it? Knowledgeable persons please reply.
I) Will it be easier for me seek a hotel in Bhuvaneswar, instead of Puri? I shall be accompanied by a friend of mine. I may leave my car at hotel and reach Puri by bus or train. Will they be very much crowded too? I wish to return back to Bhuvaneswar, once the celebration is over in the afternoon. Or shall we stay at Puri on the night previous to the celebration?

II) In case we reach Puri by own car, where do we park our vehicles? How far will be the parking place from the Grand Street (Bara Danda), where the actual chariot pulling procession occurs?

III) Is there any travelling restriction on Puri, on the day of the actual ceremony, if we wish to enter through Chakratirtha Road, taking the Gop-Konark Route? Any traffic restriction at Puri town on the day previous to the festival and the following day?
Any kind soul in this forum having knowledge to these questions please reply.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Cossipore,
North Calcutta.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 23:33   #72
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 8
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Visiting Puri for Rathayatra

Hello sir!

Since I live in Bhubaneswar, here are my observations as well suggestion.

1) Staying in BBSR is a good idea since there will be regular and some special a/c as well as non a/c buses will be plying all the time. Buses will be available.

2) This may not be a good idea if you are planning to arrive on the day itself then cars will be diverted through a newly made bridge near Maltipathpur station near Marine drive road and from there buses will be there to take you to Puri, also in case of buses from BBSR also they will go upto Maltipathpur bus stand and from there by bus.

3)Regarding hotels in puri, during my last visit to puri last week, i enquired about the availability of hotels and found that most hotels have been booked two to three months ago( Try your luck and ring two three and confirm the same ask if they have rooms).
If you have any other queries, I shall be happy to solve them.
Regards-
Rahul

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2015 at 13:00. Reason: Typo
Pramalik_6116 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:23   #73
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Visiting Puri for Rathayatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramalik_6116 View Post
Regarding hotels in puri, during my last vist to puri last week, i enquired about the availabilty of hotels and found that most hotels have been booked two to three months ago (Try your luck and ring two three and confirm the same ask if they have rooms).
Thanks for your response. Fortunately I think I may have a room confirmed for me at one hotel. But the hotel is quiet far from the Swargadwar area, located near the Puri lighthouse. Do you have any idea whether traffic will be allowed up to that point, if I reach there the day before?
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:26   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 1,665 Times
Default Re: Visiting Puri for Rathayatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I) Will it be easier for me seek a hotel in Bhuvaneswar, instead of Puri? I shall be accompanied by a friend of mine. I may leave my car at hotel and reach Puri by bus or train. Will they be very much crowded too? I wish to return back to Bhuvaneswar, once the celebration is over in the afternoon. Or shall we stay at Puri on the night previous to the celebration?
Stay at Bhubaneswar - Preferable area would be Cuttack Road near Kalpana square. There would be numerous buses and trains to Puri. You can check if you get buses from the small bus stop at the station. Else buses coming from Baramunda (main bus stand) would pass through the Cuttack Road (the main road around Kalpana). Ofcourse you won't get a seat. So please be prepared mentally and physically, to stand for 2-3 hours. Not scaring you, just a fact.

Quote:
II) In case we reach Puri by own car, where do we park our vehicles? How far will be the parking place from the Grand Street (Bara Danda), where the actual chariot pulling procession occurs?
No No No. Don't drive to Puri. It is a disaster.
Leave your car at the hotel in Bhubaneswar. Take the bus.
Bus will drop you at Talbania which is the makeshift bus stand around the Puri-Konark marine drive. There would be numerous minivans to take you to Puri bada-danda (Grand road). Please be prepared to walk about 2-3kms to the temple as these minivans won't probably get past the hospital square.

Quote:
III) Is there any travelling restriction on Puri, on the day of the actual ceremony, if we wish to enter through Chakratirtha Road, taking the Gop-Konark Route? Any traffic restriction at Puri town on the day previous to the festival and the following day?
Puri city is totally sealed from vehicles trying to enter the city. Even localites if gone out of Puri find it near impossible to re-enter Puri (had faced it during new year also).

To summarize:

- Stay in Bhubaneswar
- Take a bus from Bhubaneswar to Puri.
- Visit the rath yatra and come back the same night, if possible.
- If you wan't to stay in Puri, say Jai Jagannath and try searching for a hotel, or lodge, or a dharmashala.
I am afraid you won't find anything vacant. If you have ladies in your group, come back to Bhubaneswar the same night.

Since you had this plan in mind, you could have done booking atleast 6 months before. It is utter chaos in Puri this time. So any adhoc plans are actually a disaster. Please be prepared.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:44   #75
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Visiting Puri for Rathayatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Stay at Bhubaneswar - Preferable area would be Cuttack Road near Kalpana square. Don't drive to Puri. It is a disaster.
Leave your car at the hotel in Bhubaneswar. Take the bus. Puri city is totally sealed from vehicles trying to enter the city.
I shall now surely stay at Bhubaneswar. I initially decided to arrive there early on the morning on that holy day. But now I have changed my schedule and shall take shelter somewhere near Kalpana Square on the previous evening, so that I may reach Puri very early, preferably at dawn. How far is this place from Rasulgarh Chalka?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
To summarize:-
Stay in Bhubaneswar.
- Take a bus from Bhubaneswar to Puri.
- Visit the rath yatra and come back the same night, if possible.
- If you wan't to stay in Puri, say Jai Jagannath and try searching for a hotel, or lodge, or a dharmashala.
I am afraid you won't find anything vacant. If you have ladies in your group, come back to Bhubaneswar the same night.
Thank God that I do not have anyone from the fairer and opposite sex accompanying me. Actually I thought of staying at Puri simply because one friend of my cousin brother runs a hotel there. That person still offers me a room but I have already decided not to stay at Puri. I do not wish to enter a city already locked by the local town traffic police department from all sides. Thank you again for helping me in taking a decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Since you had this plan in mind, you could have done booking atleast 6 months before. It is utter chaos in Puri this time. So any adhoc plans are actually a disaster. Please be prepared.
Honestly speaking, getting an accommodation at Puri is still not all that difficult for me, though logistics inside the town are still an issue. Thanks again.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kolkata - Puri - Vizag - Puri - Kolkata : Route Queries Lancer.ized Route / Travel Queries 7 13th December 2016 12:24
Pilgrimage (Chennai) to Velankanni & Poondi with detours to Pichavaram & Tranquebar Marlon Travelogues 9 12th August 2013 16:17
Road Trip Kolkata - Puri - Vizag - Puri- Kolkata arindam_xeta Route / Travel Queries 13 28th March 2010 15:07
Kolkata - Konarak - Puri - Kolkata arindam_xeta Travelogues 27 7th January 2010 22:56
Kolkata - Bhubaneshwar - Puri - Bhubaneshwar - Gopalpur - Kolkata senindra Travelogues 35 18th November 2009 11:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks