Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th April 2017, 23:29   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhrajitdr View Post
As mentioned in the post just above, i went to Puri last December (and then went on to Vizag too). The road is absolutely fabulous other than some well managed diversions due to flyover construction between Panipuri toll plaza and Cuttack.

I started at 5:30 am from near Birati (my home), had an early breakfast at Uluberia Azad Hind, negotiated a blanket of dense fog till Kolaghat, took a short tea break at Bhadrak, a shorter Banana break at Cuttack and reached Puri at around 2 pm. Please see the attachment too.Attachment 1634341
Great post, especially that table gives a very nice idea about drivability.

By the way, I meant to travel in May in my earlier post (erroneously written as April there).

Since you travelled only four months ago, you are in a position to answer my following questions:
  • How is the road between Belda and Balasore? All the travelogues a couple of years ago that I could find in team-bhp mentioned numerous diversions and bad roads every few kms.
  • Did you drive into Jaleswar town to avoid the line of trucks at the Bengal-Odisha border? My memory from 2004 is quite bad. After a bit of hesitancy I drove then on the wrong side of the road.
  • Is it still pretty easy to miss the bypass to Puri? Or have they put signs that people can see easily while driving?
  • I do not see any stop in your table for gas. I will be driving a VW Polo GT TSI which has 45 litres fuel tank capacity and to be safe will need to fill somewhere in the middle, I suppose.
asitkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 09:55   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post

The road is absolutely clean throughout the entire stretch, and though i cannot recollect if there were any diversions at all between Belda and Balasore, be rest assured that all diversions are quite well managed (and with not too bad roads) and hence, will not result in too much of reduction in speed. However, I remember a traffic congestion in the Shergarh toll plaza which took away almost 30 mints.

I was very confused what to do in Jaleswar after reading through previous reports but to my good fortune there was no traffic congestion in Jaleswar and neither did i have to go through the town nor through the wrong side (i am, anyway, a very hesitant wrong side driver!). My return journey through Jaleswar was very neat too (compared to what i had faced in Odhissa-AP border).

Perhaps the most challenging part of the trip was, as you mentioned, is to spot the Puri bypass!! Thankfully my wife saw that, i disbelieved, but still slowed down as Google map was saying something similar! Then saw a very small signboard (not even the "official" green one) indicating a left turn to Puri. You have to be careful after crossing the Bhubaneswar flyovers and keep google map on. The road from there again is fabulous.

I was driving a XUV with 70 litres tank and hence no fuel stop was required. But i guess it will be better for you to refuel somewhere around Cuttack-Bhubaneswar where anyway you will need to slow down because of the city traffic (despite the flyovers).

Let me know if you have any more queries. Will be happy to help as much as possible.

Last edited by ampere : 1st May 2017 at 10:09. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
subhrajitdr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 20:13   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhrajitdr View Post
As mentioned in the post just above, i went to Puri last December (and then went on to Vizag too). The road is absolutely fabulous other than some well managed diversions due to flyover construction between Panipuri toll plaza and Cuttack.

I started at 5:30 am from near Birati (my home), had an early breakfast at Uluberia Azad Hind, negotiated a blanket of dense fog till Kolaghat, took a short tea break at Bhadrak, a shorter Banana break at Cuttack and reached Puri at around 2 pm. Please see the attachment too.Attachment 1634341

Dear subhrajitdr, it would be Panikoili Toll Plaza , instead of Panipuri toll plaza as you have mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post

By the way, I meant to travel in May in my earlier post (erroneously written as April there).

Since you travelled only four months ago, you are in a position to answer my following questions:
  • How is the road between Belda and Balasore? All the travelogues a couple of years ago that I could find in team-bhp mentioned numerous diversions and bad roads every few kms.
  • Did you drive into Jaleswar town to avoid the line of trucks at the Bengal-Odisha border? My memory from 2004 is quite bad. After a bit of hesitancy I drove then on the wrong side of the road.
  • Is it still pretty easy to miss the bypass to Puri? Or have they put signs that people can see easily while driving?
  • I do not see any stop in your table for gas. I will be driving a VW Polo GT TSI which has 45 litres fuel tank capacity and to be safe will need to fill somewhere in the middle, I suppose.

I have been to Puri numerous times by car ( Kolkata TBHP members will vouch for that ),the last journey till date was on April 01,2017.

Roads in West Bengal are far more decent now than in Odisha.It was actually expected that Odisha roads would be done quickly before Rath Yatra 2016 (Famous Chariot festival of Puri), due to Navakalebara, which was held last year.Alas,that did not happen.
West Bengal portion of NH 6 (now NH 16) have been maintained by Ashoka Buildcon,the same Company who built the current Kolaghat bridge in record time. Also nearly all flyovers on the NH 16 are complete and open to highway traffic in West Bengal. Some bottle necks are still there,but flow remains unhindered for any private car. Between Belda and Balasore is the portion where you can actually drive with pleasure,. It is mostly concrete roads.

Jaleshwar was a mayhem even few years back. It was both feared and revered due to two reasons mainly - one was the endless truck traffic right on the highway (as like any other State Boundary). One had to negotiate between those huge ten wheelers doing some offroading at places and driving on the hard shoulder to reach through and cross over to Odisha.
It is butter smooth now. There is a formal toll plaza there and trucks are usually in the truck lay by on the side. While coming back though,there is at times a queue while entering from Odisha. That is because of West Bengal Government's negligent attitude towards smooth highway travel. Lots of trucks block the highway, to pay for the entry tax and then move on. But then again it is a maximum 15 minutes wait behind the trucks,on a very bad day. On a good day, you drive through straight without stopping.

The second reason was an infamous tax which the Odisha RTO used to charge, to out of state private vehicles. That also has been stopped since 2011. No need to go through Jaleshwar town and waste time anymore.

Saying that,experiences in Odisha portion of NH 16 won't be that smooth. Some surfaces are bad,some are good. But some stretches are incomplete even today. Balasore to Bhadrak is good,but from Chandikhole to Cuttack is maintained poorly. The flyover work has been stopped and I have not seen any activity in the last 2 years. The road widening has also stopped. Diversions remain at place,although signage's have long vanished . There is a portion near Cuttack, which goes in front of a building called Utkal Signature, which houses a large Audi showroom in the ground floor. That particular stretch has not seen any work in the last 5 years almost.

A new addition these days is the more-or-less complete Jagannath Sadak - a toll road from Cuttack to Puri, bypassing BBSR. Driving is a real pleasure on that road as it meanders through lush green fields and coconut trees nearing the horizons,but beware of 2/3/even 4 wheelers coming from the opposite direction and suicidal stray dogs crossing the street. That road has also deteriorated over last one year as the divider has now a thick overgrowth of unkempt grass which overflows on the road. Intersections also are poorly manned and please keep a lookout while crossing them.

I have traveled on an Estilo most of the time and used to re-fuel at a bunker of Assam Oil, just after the train line crossing/ Birla Tyre factory at Balasore. Since 2013, I have been to Puri mostly on an Ertiga ZDi,and have usually not stopped for refueling with 100% AC on. If I did stop,it was the same pump.

Door to door it is 500 Kms on the dot for me,from Home to Hotel.
Although I don't keep a formal log, my timings are more or less as follows :

Start from home in Kolkata - 5.10am
Kolaghat Bridge crossing - 6.14am
Stopping for tea there - Half n hour
Panskura Bypass - 6.51am
KGP Bypass - 7.12am
Jaleshwar Toll plaza - 7.59am
Balasore Railway crossing - 8.41am
Breakfast stop - Half n hour
Crossing Biroja Khsetra - 10.34am
Jagannath Sadak start - 11.54am
Gate of Puri (on Jagannath Sadak) -12.48pm
Puri Bada Danda ( Grand Road ) - 12.54pm

Hope all these helps in your travel .
Happy driving
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 22:15   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Dear subhrajitdr, it would be Panikoili Toll Plaza , instead of Panipuri toll plaza as you have mentioned

Thanks for the correction mate!!��

By the way, the name is just Subhrajit.

Last edited by bblost : 7th May 2017 at 22:56. Reason: Fixed grammar and removed extra .... Thanks.
subhrajitdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 23:05   #110
BHPian

Drive moderately and its not more than 7-7:30 hours journey.
Uprasenjit is offline   Reply With Quote