Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2013, 12:08   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,359 Times
Default Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Puri, one of the favourite destinations for people from our part of the world, also happens to present itself as a very good driving destination for the driving enthusiast. It offers miles of expressway travel in the mid section, with little traffic and interruptions, perfect to stretch out the legs of that fast car. The last few Kilometers are also well known for meandering through the beautiful Orissa countryside, with well laid out roads, good to have a feel from the steering while you hang on to that curve. In less than the half day it takes to get from Kolkata to Puri (including pitstops) one ends up thoroughly refreshed and prepared to listen to the ocean waves dash against the fantastic shoreline. And all this, doesn't even necessitate taking a leave from work.

However, of late, we are seeing a couple of bottlenecks on this journey. Mainly there is a border checkpost between WB and Orissa and the last stretch between Bhubaneshwar and Puri undergoing 4-laning work that has taken the fun away a bit. Besides this Traffic at Bhubneshwar is also a little too much towards the middle of the day.

This thread intends to capture the bottlenecks that crop up over the times and ways to evade them.

Jaleshwar NH60 "WB-Orissa" Border Checkpost Congestion Avoidance

One of the Major hurdles of going to Puri (or for that matter any point south of Jaleshwar on the NH60) is the truck congestion at the WB-Orissa border checkpost. If one is unlucky enough, one can loose upto an hour negotiating through the maze of trucks. Usually the flank from WB towards Orrisa is slower. General tendency is to follow what the local non-truck/passenger vehicles are doing. Mainly they switch on to the opposite flank when they see vehicles stuck ahead and is also a recognised way of travelling on this part of the NH60. The border checkpost toll also has counters for both sided traffic on the Orrisa-to-WB flank itself to facilitate a smoother flow of non-goods carriages. I have mostly taken up crossing Jaleshwar this way. Had been held up sometimes, but nothing that kept me waiting forever because I have followed the local traffic and general guidance from the locals.


The last time we made through here, we took an effort to evaluate going through Jaleshwar town mainly because we had two cars. One that went through the NH60 through the usual toll, driven by a sedate driver, another one went through the Jaleshwar town with a relatively faster driver. In the end, when the second car hit the NH60 from the Jaleshwar town, the first car (that never left the GQ) was seen happily 1/2 kilometers ahead. The first car also went through the maze of trucks, went over to the other side and paid toll tax. In comparison, the second car paid nothing (yaahoo).

So I am not sure whether or not avoiding Jaleshwar checkpost on the NH60 would bring benefits all the time. Yes its cheaper!

To Avoid Jaleshwar WB-Orrisa Border toll/checkpost, one needs to go through the Jaleshwar town, pass by the Jaleshwar Railway station and then meet up with NH60 after crossing Jaleshwar.


Here are the details. To start off, this is a overall snapshot of the detour.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-pic-3.jpg

The route in blue is the detour and the route depicted in pink is the usual NH60. The total distance is on the detour is 18kms. The same points are 19 kms apart if travelled on the NH60. The First 2-3 Kilometers was bad with a lot of potholes. Till the Jaleshwar railway station there was a bit of usual local traffic. The Last 8 kms was a breeze, given that the surfacing at that time was good and the local traffic was sparse.





The first entry into Jaleshwar comes up about 63 km mark from the point NH60 passes under the "E-W flank of NH6" bridge at Kharagpur. As the entry point into the Jaleshwar town is a bit non-descript as seen from the NH60 and suddenly sneaks upto you, So have a good look at the odometer while going under the bridge at Kharagpur. Infact the road that branches off from the NH60 drops sharply and thats why its not possible to spot it from ahead, apart from the cut-out between the two flanks of the NH60. For me, I failed to remind myself that my KITT (Ikon 1.6) had a 2.3% oversized tyre and the resultant odo under-read almost caused me to overshoot the cross point. For me it came up at 61.5kms and was anticipating the turn 1.5 kms ahead!! So keep any tyre related inaccuracies in mind.


Here is what the entry point looks like. Coming from Kharagpur the Road on Right drops sharply and hence not visible from the main expressway. But you cant miss the cut-out. (The Angua Railway station will also be a bit ahead)

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-pic-1.jpg


Another screenshot depicting the entry point with respect to the Jaleshwar town-center (railway station). Railway station is roughly 10.5 kms from the entry point.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-pic-2.jpg




But before the railway station a road on left appears at the 9.7 kms distance. This is the SH57 and can be taken to rejoin the NH60, but if one has reached this point, it makes better sense to carry on straight as the road ahead gets better after the railway station.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-pic-4.jpg

After crossing the railway station (which will fall on left) carry on straight on the main wide road for about 7.5 kms till the road intersects the NH60 again. This is how the merge back point looks like.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-pic-5.jpg


However as I mentioned, whether or not taking the detour will yield any substantial benefit is a question mark. As it turned out in our case, the slower car, which did not take the detour, actually managed to cover the distance in a little shorter time (it was half a km ahead at the merge back point), going through the traffic, paying tax. The faster car, though made very good progress towards the end, was bogged down by the initial bad patch. Could be that the slower car was lucky, to be not stuck worse than it was!

So take your pick!

Coming up next - Avoiding Bhubaneshwar

Last edited by 1100D : 17th February 2013 at 15:06.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 23:23   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,359 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Bhubaneshwar-Pipli Avoidance



Another irritant on the route to Puri is the thickening traffic and drive through the city of Bhubaneshwar. Usually for folks driving from Kolkata, Bhubaneshwar comes up a little past mid-day. Slow-moving traffic, Bike-riders ( that over estimate the width of their bikes) and the usual chaos leads to a dampener and a lot of unnecessary stress.

Then comes up Pipli. Famous for the handicrafts, have shops encroaching on the roadspace. The Highway is narrow at Pipli. Buses plying on opposite directions stop adjacent to each other blocking the flow of traffic on either direction.

To add to this, since last year, 4-laning work has started on this route, with countless diversions and bad surface. The going is slow due to the traffic which slows down more than required.


So this time, while going to Puri we took the SH60 route after Cuttack (Was suggested by bhpian Debdeep Rakshit). One may try it out.

Here is the overall route.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-untitled1.jpg

From NH5, the left turn into SH60 comes about 13.5 kms from after the Mahanadi bridge (on NH5 - long bridge before Cuttack). A place called Phulnakhara.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-untitled5.jpg

The Location of Phulnakhara with respect to Cuttack and Mahanadi is depicted in this.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-untitled2.jpg


After turning into SH60, Charichak crossing will come after 42 kms or so. Continue straight on SH60

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-untitled3.jpg

After 11kms from Charichak one will reach "Gop".

At Gop (Crossing of SH13) turn left onto SH13 towards Konark.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-untitled4.jpg

Although, at this point (at Gop) the GPS navigators will suggest continuing straight into SH60. Continuing straight onto SH60 will be the shorter way to Puri (will meet up midway onto the Puri Konark highway), as we did (this is what our GPS Navigator suggested), but the road condition that we saw was beyond imagination and at one point, so narrow with drops on both sides, that two cars travelling in different directions could not pass each other.

So better to take the longer but much faster and hassle free route through Konark and then to Konark Puri Marine drive to reach Puri.

The side benefits of this is that
  • one will drive by the Sea even before reaching Puri.
  • bypassed BBSR and Pipli and its associated traffic and confusions altogether
  • much cleaner route with good surfacing

Flip side - around 30 additional Kilometers (with respect to BBSR-Pipli-Puri route). But that would not be too undesirable given the surface and the low traffic.


In the end, this is what you will be driving by!

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-img_0396.jpg

So have fun!

Feel free to add alternatives to bottlenecks that might be required over time.
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 13:10   #3
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Many thanks 1100D for the information.
I'm planning to visit Puri in March, so the information regarding Bhubaneshwar would be really helpful.

Regarding the Jaleshwar detour, let me add a few points :
A. The road through Jaleshwar is safe to travel even in the middle of night.
B. After crossing the town and just before joining the NH there is a railway crossing. That may (at times) be very frustrating for the gates are closed much before the train is due.
C. Even if one misses the diversion for the Jaleswar town, you have nothing to worry. The underbridge, that takes you to Jaleshwar town, has an approach road from both sides. So even if you miss the diversion, you take the one after the culvert/bridge and arrive at the same point.
D. At the point where you join NH after crossing the town, take the turn towards left, and within 100-150mtrs. there is a gap in the divider /median where you can cross over to the other side and proceed towards Cuttack.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 14:02   #4
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

How is the road condition of SH60 from Phulnakhara till Gop? I was informed earlier that it was not in a great shape however it seems you found it all right. I have traveled through Gop when I took a left turn from Pipili using the bypass and then traveled through Konark to reach Puri. This was during my trip when the other Anirban's Polo had broken down.

Also this truck jam in Jaleswar might become a thing of the past. This time around on my return leg from Vizag I noticed that they are building a huge terminal on the left near the border checkpost which looked like it would be used for parking all the trucks at the border for sorting out their tax and bribe issues. Till then its just a matter of pure luck whether one can get past this border jam going down the wrong way. In fact during the trip when Anirban's Polo had broken down at this point, both he and I had to enter Jaleswar town as even the wrong way route was jammed up by oversized trucks.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 19:27   #5
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 422
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Puri, one of the favourite destinations for people from our part of the world

Frustration is because Puri is always full, no matter what Season it is,what time of the year it is , whether schools/colleges are open or not, irrespective of any holidays etc.
Earlier it was , as Anirban da has mentioned above, full of people from our part of the world, but now things have changed drastically. People from BBSR,Cuttack,other towns of Odisha, and also nearby towns of Bihar, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh,Andhra Pradesh travel to Puri and coastal Odisha due to A B Vajpayee / GQ and even good State Highways on weekends and other days too !!! This is evident from the sheer number of cars these days noticed on roads to and in Puri having BR,JH,CG and AP number plates .



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
...also happens to present itself as a very good driving destination for the driving enthusiast. It offers miles of expressway travel in the mid section, with little traffic and interruptions, perfect to stretch out the legs of that fast car. The last few Kilometers are also well known for meandering through the beautiful Orissa countryside, with well laid out roads, good to have a feel from the steering while you hang on to that curve. In less than the half day it takes to get from Kolkata to Puri (including pitstops) one ends up thoroughly refreshed and prepared to listen to the ocean waves dash against the fantastic shoreline. And all this, doesn't even necessitate taking a leave from work.
I love to go to Puri for the same reasons mentioned brilliantly above by Anirban da,and I whenever opportunity arises, look nowhere else at all. Have done it so many times, as well as just in a weekend too, like went there Saturday,reached by lunch,been around the place thereafter, left next morning at about 9am and back home Sunday late afternoon.

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This thread intends to capture the bottlenecks that crop up over the times and ways to evade them.

Jaleshwar NH60 "WB-Orissa" Border Checkpost Congestion Avoidance

One of the Major hurdles of going to Puri (or for that matter any point south of Jaleshwar on the NH60) is the truck congestion at the WB-Orissa border checkpost. If one is unlucky enough, one can loose upto an hour negotiating through the maze of trucks. Usually the flank from WB towards Orrisa is slower. General tendency is to follow what the local non-truck/passenger vehicles are doing. Mainly they switch on to the opposite flank when they see vehicles stuck ahead and is also a recognised way of travelling on this part of the NH60. The border checkpost toll also has counters for both sided traffic on the Orrisa-to-WB flank itself to facilitate a smoother flow of non-goods carriages. I have mostly taken up crossing Jaleshwar this way. Had been held up sometimes, but nothing that kept me waiting forever because I have followed the local traffic and general guidance from the locals.


The last time we made through here, we took an effort to evaluate going through Jaleshwar town mainly because we had two cars. One that went through the NH60 through the usual toll, driven by a sedate driver, another one went through the Jaleshwar town with a relatively faster driver. In the end, when the second car hit the NH60 from the Jaleshwar town, the first car (that never left the GQ) was seen happily 1/2 kilometers ahead. The first car also went through the maze of trucks, went over to the other side and paid toll tax. In comparison, the second car paid nothing (yaahoo).

So I am not sure whether or not avoiding Jaleshwar checkpost on the NH60 would bring benefits all the time. Yes its cheaper!
Since I have traversed this mess at Jaleshwar more than 10 times, my opinion would be to stick with GQ. But saying that, it was always in my Estilo ( a smaller car ) and once in an Innova. Always the same method -> switch on to other side, fairly early -> put on your blinkers and keep honking -> at one point of time you would be right in the middle of the epicentre -> when there will be huge monolithic trucks all around you ( mostly either container trucks or vehicle transporters of Hyundai/Maurti ) carrying their wares from ports of Odisha -> keep to the middle and keep honking as much as you can -> they usually let go, if they aren't themselves stuck at the narrowest possible toll gate -> road is concrete with big potholes in the middle and the soft mud on both sides whereon one should never venture -> keep honking more -> finally trucks give way -> surrounding trucks thin-out and one suddenly breaks free from the mess and drives on.

But if one gets stuck,behind trucks who do not/cannot give way, like our samarjit dhar did (IIRC) or it may be anybody for that matter, what will one do ?? Nothing absolutely. There is no way one can take out ones car through the mad rumble of heavy,big trucks. One of my colleagues got stuck on the left side while going to Puri in his new XUV 500 recently.I told him earlier to avoid the left side, but he later told me that he could not understand when to cross-over to the right. So he got stuck behind all those trucks and nearly lost more than 2 hours on his way !

This is where 1100D's brilliant insight and suggestions come-in.

I have a question to him though.He gave an experience of slower vs faster car through the maze there.What about smaller vs bigger cars - Innova/XUVs etc ? Bigger girths would be a disadvantage surely,so do you recommend taking the Jaleshwar town detour in that case ? Saving Rs 45-55 as toll would not be an issue for most,IMO. But saving precious journey time would be definitely an issue for most.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Here are the details. To start off, this is a overall snapshot of the detour.

Attachment 1051829

The route in blue is the detour and the route depicted in pink is the usual NH60. The total distance is on the detour is 18kms. The same points are 19 kms apart if travelled on the NH60. The First 2-3 Kilometers was bad with a lot of potholes. Till the Jaleshwar railway station there was a bit of usual local traffic. The Last 8 kms was a breeze, given that the surfacing at that time was good and the local traffic was sparse.
What is point A,B AND C ?
Where is the Jaleshwar Railway Station roughly located in the 1st pic , which shows A,B and C ?


...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Here is what the entry point looks like. Coming from Kharagpur the Road on Right drops sharply and hence not visible from the main expressway. But you cant miss the cut-out. (The Angua Railway station will also be a bit ahead)

Attachment 1051830
Where is the Angua Railway station located in the 2nd or 3rd pic ?


...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
After crossing the railway station (which will fall on left) carry on straight on the main wide road for about 7.5 kms till the road intersects the NH60 again. This is how the merge back point looks like.

Attachment 1052323
Is there a railway crossing to be crossed in this detour ? Is it after crossing the Jaleshwar Railway station on the left and just before the merger to NH60 ? IIRC from samarjitdhar's thread and his wonderful car-videos there was one railway crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
However as I mentioned, whether or not taking the detour will yield any substantial benefit is a question mark. As it turned out in our case, the slower car, which did not take the detour, actually managed to cover the distance in a little shorter time (it was half a km ahead at the merge back point), going through the traffic, paying tax. The faster car, though made very good progress towards the end, was bogged down by the initial bad patch. Could be that the slower car was lucky, to be not stuck worse than it was!
So take your pick!
The detour was done by you on your Ikon, but what was the other car ?
Did you both travel back through the part discussed and how - as coming back through the maze at times can be tougher ?
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 20:17   #6
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 422
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
A. The road through Jaleshwar is safe to travel even in the middle of night.
B. After crossing the town and just before joining the NH there is a railway crossing. That may (at times) be very frustrating for the gates are closed much before the train is due.
C. Even if one misses the diversion for the Jaleswar town, you have nothing to worry. The underbridge, that takes you to Jaleshwar town, has an approach road from both sides. So even if you miss the diversion, you take the one after the culvert/bridge and arrive at the same point.
D. At the point where you join NH after crossing the town, take the turn towards left, and within 100-150mtrs. there is a gap in the divider /median where you can cross over to the other side and proceed towards Cuttack.
That railway gate is the one I was talking about earlier.
Is the diversion you are talking about the same as 1100D mentioned in his post ? Your C point is not very clear dude,can you please elaborate as 1100D did in his posts. Thanks for your inputs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
How is the road condition of SH60 from Phulnakhara till Gop? I was informed earlier that it was not in a great shape however it seems you found it all right.

Also this truck jam in Jaleswar might become a thing of the past. This time around on my return leg from Vizag I noticed that they are building a huge terminal on the left near the border checkpost which looked like it would be used for parking all the trucks at the border for sorting out their tax and bribe issues. Till then its just a matter of pure luck whether one can get past this border jam going down the wrong way. In fact during the trip when Anirban's Polo had broken down at this point, both he and I had to enter Jaleswar town as even the wrong way route was jammed up by oversized trucks.
This is under construction since 2009 January and is like that since then. Maybe a few more bricks have been laid and thats about it. Nobody knows when it would be completed and when all those trucks be shifted from their highway slumber posts to that terminal.
Thats why I asked Anirban da what he did while coming back as I was stuck behind two mammoth trucks for about half an hour while coming back once !


Btw, has Kolaghat 'new' bridge opened,the one on the right was being painted when I last went there about a fortnight back ? Have anybody been there (Kolaghat and beyond) recently ?
Heard that it has been opened for traffic and the old bridge has been shut down for repairs.
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 20:49   #7
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
This is under construction since 2009 January and is like that since then. Maybe a few more bricks have been laid and thats about it. Nobody knows when it would be completed and when all those trucks be shifted from their highway slumber posts to that terminal.
Thats why I asked Anirban da what he did while coming back as I was stuck behind two mammoth trucks for about half an hour while coming back once !
Oh is that so . From the looks of it it looked like they were working on it to be completed soon. Double dang then if that's not so. Why are they not finishing it then? The Odisha government is more prompt in getting things completed compared to the others as I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Btw, has Kolaghat 'new' bridge opened,the one on the right was being painted when I last went there about a fortnight back ? Have anybody been there (Kolaghat and beyond) recently ?
Heard that it has been opened for traffic and the old bridge has been shut down for repairs.
Yes as per recent reports from users it has been opened now for use and the old one has been closed down for urgent repairs.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 21:13   #8
BHPian
 
Arkesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 135
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
How is the road condition of SH60 from Phulnakhara till Gop? I was informed earlier that it was not in a great shape however it seems you found it all right. I have traveled through Gop when I took a left turn from Pipili using the bypass and then traveled through Konark.
SH 60 is quite in good shape although they have started four laning it. The road condition from bhubaneswar to puri is also in good shape inspite of the diversions.
Arkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 21:44   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,359 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
I have a question to him though.He gave an experience of slower vs faster car through the maze there.What about smaller vs bigger cars - Innova/XUVs etc ? Bigger girths would be a disadvantage surely,so do you recommend taking the Jaleshwar town detour in that case ?
I have taken the Scorpio through the truck formation on the NH60 at Jaleshwar and felt it was easier. Firstly higher driving position allowed me to place the vehicle easier, secondly higher ground clearance allowed me to use the soft shoulders (sometimes to cross over) and thirdly but most importantly trucks (especially those from the opposite direction) ensured a smooth passage.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
What is point A,B AND C ?
Nothing! Sorry for leading to the confusion. But was using google suggested route and the only way google suggested this route is to place B at that point between A and C! So please disregard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Where is the Jaleshwar Railway Station roughly located in the 1st pic , which shows A,B and C ?
Roughly a little south of the point you have "Jaleswar" written (where SH57 meets the blue line)




Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Where is the Angua Railway station located in the 2nd or 3rd pic ?
To the North, Beyond the pic. Thats the confusion which even I faced. Thats why I chose the landmark of passing under the NH6 bridge at Kharagpur as the reference point.

Attaching another visual.

Point A - there is a crossroad here, the road on left (coming from KGP on NH60) goes to Angua Railway station.
Point B - is the entry point to Jaleshwar town.
Distance between A and B is 1.6 kms.
Angua station is also been located in the red box. But its not visible from the NH60 itself (I could not spot it).

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-pic-6.jpg



Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Is there a railway crossing to be crossed in this detour ? Is it after crossing the Jaleshwar Railway station on the left and just before the merger to NH60 ? IIRC from samarjitdhar's thread and his wonderful car-videos there was one railway crossing.
Yes right. Here is the apt description of it alongwith some details of the merge back point which I did not get to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
B. After crossing the town and just before joining the NH there is a railway crossing. That may (at times) be very frustrating for the gates are closed much before the train is due.

D. At the point where you join NH after crossing the town, take the turn towards left, and within 100-150mtrs. there is a gap in the divider /median where you can cross over to the other side and proceed towards Cuttack.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
The detour was done by you on your Ikon, but what was the other car ?
Did you both travel back through the part discussed and how - as coming back through the maze at times can be tougher ?

The other car was a Red Figo. Rather than being a slow car, it was being driven by a slower driver!

We came back to back through the same route on the NH60. Made it in reasonable time, probably same as what we would have done travelling through Jaleshwar town. But as I am reading these posts, I guess we have been lucky all the time on the NH60 Jaleshwar Checkpost.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post


C. Even if one misses the diversion for the Jaleswar town, you have nothing to worry. The underbridge, that takes you to Jaleshwar town, has an approach road from both sides. So even if you miss the diversion, you take the one after the culvert/bridge and arrive at the same point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Your C point is not very clear dude,can you please elaborate

Even I am curious. If we can locate this point C, it can be a better candidate for Jaleswar entry. Given that the first few kms, on the entry I described, does not have a good surface.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 23:51   #10
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 422
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
SH 60 is quite in good shape although they have started four laning it. The road condition from bhubaneswar to puri is also in good shape inspite of the diversions.
BBSR to Puri is the bottleneck 1100D and everybody is talking about these days,because of the widening construction ongoing. Have you traversed that road upto Puri recently. There is no reason why I should not trust you here mate,dont get me wrong,its just that I want to double check before my travel.
Previously,Pipli and around Raghurajpur crossing,there were bottlenecks and at BBSR too. Especially the roundabouts in BBSR where there are consctuction works going on for flyovers and also in front of the Court area.

So, could you please put in more details ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Oh is that so . From the looks of it it looked like they were working on it to be completed soon. Double dang then if that's not so. Why are they not finishing it then? The Odisha government is more prompt in getting things completed compared to the others as I have seen.

Yes as per recent reports from users it has been opened now for use and the old one has been closed down for urgent repairs.
I have never seen actual work being done there for completion of the site.
If you remember correctly,the same thing happened between some stretches between Balasore and Bhadrak earlier , and for many years there were plenty of diversions along that stretch of the GQ. The number of flyovers remained unfinished as well and a toll plaza built in front of the Birla Tyres factory at Balasore remained unfinished and unmanned for years as well. IMO, these are probably due to union issues in Odisha but once they sort that out,they finish work faster than the blink of an eye ! The incomplete GQ at Balasore, the flyovers, the toll plaza etc all were finished in less than 6 months time !! So keep your fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I have taken the Scorpio through the truck formation on the NH60 at Jaleshwar and felt it was easier. Firstly higher driving position allowed me to place the vehicle easier, secondly higher ground clearance allowed me to use the soft shoulders (sometimes to cross over) and thirdly but most importantly trucks (especially those from the opposite direction) ensured a smooth passage.
I have taken my Estilo all the times before, but this time around I am taking my newly acquired Ertiga ZDi. So hope you can understand my predicament.

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
To the North, Beyond the pic. Thats the confusion which even I faced. Thats why I chose the landmark of passing under the NH6 bridge at Kharagpur as the reference point.

Attaching another visual.

Point A - there is a crossroad here, the road on left (coming from KGP on NH60) goes to Angua Railway station.
Point B - is the entry point to Jaleshwar town.
Distance between A and B is 1.6 kms.
Angua station is also been located in the red box. But its not visible from the NH60 itself (I could not spot it).

Attachment 1053958
Can you locate the underpass at KGP bypass on this picture you attached dada ? Or if I may put it this way,how far is the B point in this updated picture you gave, from the KGP Bypass. IIRC, there is a road turning to the left from the NH 6 stating 'KGP' and it turns above our head and we go below that and continue onto NH6,isn't it ? How many kilometers from here would be your point B ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The other car was a Red Figo. Rather than being a slow car, it was being driven by a slower driver!
Hope I can equate that with my Estilo (roughly speaking so far as dimensions and so-called 'sedate-ness' are concerned !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
We came back to back through the same route on the NH60. Made it in reasonable time, probably same as what we would have done travelling through Jaleshwar town. But as I am reading these posts, I guess we have been lucky all the time on the NH60 Jaleshwar Checkpost.
That would be on that Jaleshwar detour as well,isnt it ? Is it near the Railway station or around that ? Where exactly is this J town ?

OT Anirban da : Where does NH6 ends ? Is it at the KGP bypasss which ultimately goes to Mumbai etc, and where does NH 60 ends and it becomes and continues upto as NH 5 and till where ?
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 00:22   #11
BHPian
 
Arkesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 135
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post

BBSR to Puri is the bottleneck 1100D and everybody is talking about these days,because of the widening construction ongoing. Have you traversed that road upto Puri recently. There is no reason why I should not trust you here mate,dont get me wrong,its just that I want to double check before my travel.
Previously,Pipli and around Raghurajpur crossing,there were bottlenecks and at BBSR too. Especially the roundabouts in BBSR where there are consctuction works going on for flyovers and also in front of the Court area.

So, could you please put in more details ?
I had been to puri 10 days back. There was no jam all the way. They have diverted a road for konark before entering pipli so its better now. So vehicles going to konark from bhubaneswar need not enter pipli. I would recommend you to go via bhubaneswar only.
SH 60 is ok but its not safe at night and you have to travel around 40 kms extra that too in two lane road. Moreover it has a lot of village traffic viz carts,tractors, villagers, animals, cyclists, with limited road sense.
You can also avoid the rasulgarh roundabout (flyover construction site)at bhubaneswar if you take a left turn 1km before it at palasuni. You can avoid a lot of traffic and reach near the court area(kalpana square).

Last edited by Arkesh : 21st February 2013 at 00:29.
Arkesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 00:58   #12
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 422
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
I had been to puri 10 days back. There was no jam all the way. They have diverted a road for konark before entering pipli so its better now. So vehicles going to konark from bhubaneswar need not enter pipli. I would recommend you to go via bhubaneswar only.
SH 60 is ok but its not safe at night and you have to travel around 40 kms extra that too in two lane road. Moreover it has a lot of village traffic viz carts,tractors, villagers, animals, cyclists, with limited road sense.

You can also avoid the rasulgarh roundabout (flyover construction site)at bhubaneswar if you take a left turn 1km before it at palasuni. You can avoid a lot of traffic and reach near the court area(kalpana square).
Thanks for the latest info Arkesh. I would remember that.
Can you provide a 1100D-like comprehensive map pointing out Rasulgarh roundabout,the detour through Palasuni and merging at Kalpana square ?
That would be of much help. Thanks again dude
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 08:55   #13
BHPian
 
Arkesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 135
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Can you provide a 1100D-like comprehensive map pointing out Rasulgarh roundabout,the detour through Palasuni and merging at Kalpana square ?
That would be of much help. Thanks again dude
You try searching palasuni to jharpada and then jharpada to kalpana in google map. It will get you the route. Snapshot facility is unavailable on my phone. Can you pm me if there is another way by which i can upload a comprehensive map image.
And when are you planning for your trip?
Arkesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 09:28   #14
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Is the diversion you are talking about the same as 1100D mentioned in his post ? Your C point is not very clear dude,can you please elaborate as 1100D did in his posts. Thanks for your inputs too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Even I am curious. If we can locate this point C, it can be a better candidate for Jaleswar entry. Given that the first few kms, on the entry I described, does not have a good surface.
If you are coming from Kolkata taking the left side road (not crossing over to the wrong side), there is a narrow road that goes down and crosses NH60 through an underbridge to enter into Jaleshwar town. I hope 1100D is also talking about the same point.

If so, then that underbridge can be approached from both sides.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 12:15   #15
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 422
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
You try searching palasuni to jharpada and then jharpada to kalpana in google map. It will get you the route. Snapshot facility is unavailable on my phone. Can you pm me if there is another way by which i can upload a comprehensive map image.
And when are you planning for your trip?
Will try searching those on Google Maps and try to get it here.
But am not that savvy as 1100D so I don't think I will be able to upload a comprehensive map like you said.
My trip will be around 1st week of March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
If you are coming from Kolkata taking the left side road (not crossing over to the wrong side), there is a narrow road that goes down and crosses NH60 through an underbridge to enter into Jaleshwar town. I hope 1100D is also talking about the same point.

If so, then that underbridge can be approached from both sides.
Where exactly do one take the left turn ? Distance / location on a map would be helpful .
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kolkata - Puri - Vizag - Puri - Kolkata : Route Queries Lancer.ized Route / Travel Queries 7 13th December 2016 12:24
Pilgrimage (Chennai) to Velankanni & Poondi with detours to Pichavaram & Tranquebar Marlon Travelogues 9 12th August 2013 16:17
Road Trip Kolkata - Puri - Vizag - Puri- Kolkata arindam_xeta Route / Travel Queries 13 28th March 2010 15:07
Kolkata - Konarak - Puri - Kolkata arindam_xeta Travelogues 27 7th January 2010 22:56
Kolkata - Bhubaneshwar - Puri - Bhubaneshwar - Gopalpur - Kolkata senindra Travelogues 35 18th November 2009 11:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks