Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st February 2013, 13:37   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Airbnb India : Tried it?

I'm fairly impressed by the concept & sheer reach of AirBnB. For those unfamiliar with the idea, AirBnB takes social networks & peer-to-peer dealing to a whole new level (in the area of accommodation). How it works? From their marketplace, you can rent a spare room, apartment or house from individual property owners across the world. I'm seeing over 4,000 properties currently available for rent in India. Rooms in Mumbai start at a mere 500 bucks, going up to full houses for 15,000. You can get a good room in a decent Mumbai locality for ~2,000 bucks. Try that with hotels.

Link to AirBnB India

As with other similar platforms, reputation is everything. It's important to read through reviews & ratings before you choose to rent a particular place. The listings are pretty elaborate and include lots of information on the facility (e.g. location on map, timings & charges, wifi availability etc.). You can check the availability and make reservations / payments on Airbnb itself. Your card will be charged only when the "host" accepts your reservation. After your stay, you & the host review each other on the website, thus helping community users make a better decision.

I might add that the risk appears to be higher for property owners than those renting; there have been reports of damage to property (link to horror story).

Definitely going to search through AirBnB for my next road-trip to Goa (sweet listings in North Goa). Keen to hear of experiences from BHPians who have already used the site.

Airbnb India : Tried it?-airbnb.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2013 at 13:41.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 13:45   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Airbnb India : Tried it?

I have used the AirBNB Uk site to rent some weekend accommodation and I had no problems with it. The host was great and so was he accommodation. The risk to the property owners is certainly higher! Out apartment had the owners CD collection of some very valuable classical (English) music in there. As it turned out he was a famous orchestra conductor. You could meet all sorts of interesting people!
Samir Taheer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 13:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm fairly impressed by the concept & sheer reach of AirBnB...... After your stay, you & the host review each other on the website, thus helping community users make a better decision.
I might add that the risk appears to be higher for property owners than those renting; there have been reports of damage to property
Me too for my next trip as rentals are sort of cheap. Regarding the risk involved, it is for owner too as the property is also liable to be used for illicit, illegal activities as pointed out.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st February 2013 at 13:47.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 13:53   #4
BHPian

I have used AirBnB extensively in Europe. The accommodation comfort varied, but hosts were all quite nice. But not sure how it would work in India.

I would be naturally wary of this setup in India, where even established business entities are not safe. I feel the risk is equally high on the owner and guest. It would be interesting to hear actual user experience though.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 14:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

I checked out Airbnb for some places in the hills. The rates offered were actually higher than proper hotels, even in off season.
For example, a simple home stay in HP was advertised for 3400 INR/night. A better hotel can be had for 2000rs in the off season.
More of a sham here in India.
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 22:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am currently booking accommodations right now via airbnb.com for my upcoming Italy + Swiss Holiday. Hotels are in the region of 150-200 EUR whereas I can get places for 70-90 EUR on airbnb.
example, in Manarola (Cinque terre,italy), I got quotes from 130- 150 EUR. but via airbnb, I have got a place for 90 EUR in the village center. cheap as hell I'd say.
During a road trip, all one cares for is a good place to sleep and move on. These options work perfectly fine. In fact, I found properties in some of the most beautiful villages.

Of course we'll have to see if it really is that good. only the experience will tell.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 16:16   #7
BHPian

Has anyone from our forum tried them for Dubai or international destinations.

I am amazed at the difference between the tour operator packages and Airbnb.

I am keen on knowing the risks involved from a traveler point of view along with family.
The Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 16:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I've frequently used it and even my colleagues has used it in different countries. It's very much reliable according to my experience. Make sure to book based on the reviews.
sooraj.naik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 16:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post

I am amazed at the difference between the tour operator packages and Airbnb.

I am keen on knowing the risks involved from a traveler point of view along with family.
I always use Airbnb in Europe, the options are diverse compared to hostelworld or the ilk. It is difficult to comment as a whole because of the sheer variety of accommodations available. But I have generally found them to be much safer than the average hotel and moreover the site requires both the host and guest to authenticate with multiple identification cards, so the prospect of something untoward happening is slim. As with all products, do check out reviews of the accommodation and you would be good to go.

Do note that the host is also taking a risk hosting you ( After all the guests are strangers to the host). But from my experience so far, I would wholeheartedly recommend.

I have stayed with amazing people and the sheer local knowledge they possess is something that is impossible to come by otherwise.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am just wondering, seeing the first post ...
I am sure that the Government of India must have countless licensing regulations about letting out your place to strangers like what is happening with AirBNB. How does it operate then?

If people remember, Uber initially came about to replace taxi (private vehicles on "hire") not to actually become a taxi service.
alpha1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 17:20   #11
BHPian

I recently used airbnb for accommodation in Goa and it was a completely hassle free and an awesome experience. The villa that we rented was really nice and paying through airbnb ensured that the payment process was hassle free.

From what I was told that airbnb assigns their own staff in each locality who are your points of contact besides the regular caretaker that the owner assigns. This employee of airbnb ensures that the listing is as described and in case of any hassle also helps you out.

They provide reviews of both the host as well as the guest so while I could read reviews of the host and the accommodation before selecting it, similarly the host can also read reviews about me as posted by earlier hosts and can then choose to approve or decline my booking.

Last edited by vvb8530 : 27th July 2015 at 17:25.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 18:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
From what I was told that airbnb assigns their own staff in each locality who are your points of contact besides the regular caretaker that the owner assigns. This employee of airbnb ensures that the listing is as described and in case of any hassle also helps you out.
AFAIK, airbnb initially sends a photographer to take images of the facility etc. and may be they have a face-to-face verification process when the host registers. Apart from this, I don't think they will have employees in each locality.

The key is to check reviews on the host profile and then take a call.
skumare is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 19:01   #13
BHPian

We've used AirBnb about 3 times now, and discovered another place via the same website. However, this fourth place showed a lower rate on their own separate website so we booked outside of AirBNB. Absolutely no issues all 4 times, and I'd recommend it over booking a usual hotel.

However, AirBnb charges a lot in fees, so I'm now always checking with the place owners directly to see if they have a lower offer. You'll have to forgo AirBnb's pros if you decide to take this way, though, so watch out for reviews before you book a place directly.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 19:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
AFAIK, airbnb initially sends a photographer to take images of the facility etc. and may be they have a face-to-face verification process when the host registers. Apart from this, I don't think they will have employees in each locality.

The key is to check reviews on the host profile and then take a call.
Yes you are right with all the above information and for booking you can only check reviews and book online however what I was told is that additionally there are people appointed by them if not in the locality then maybe in the city to keep visiting different listings to ensure that they are up to the mark and in case if someone needs any help then they are also the point of contact. I maybe wrong with this information as it is just something that i heard from someone who may not necessarily be a reliable source.

But when i stayed in the listing through Airbnb in Goa I was given the contact details of 2 people, one was the caretaker who lived next to the villa and the other guy who's number was provided was someone who lived in Goa but not close to the house and his number was provided just in case.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote