Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th March 2016, 10:30   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Palakkad to Kumbakonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you have work in Coimbattore and then want to carry forward, Dharapuram/Dindigul does not make sense. In that case stick to Palladam-Karur-Trichy. But yes, NH67 will see quite some traffic.
Yes indeed. Take the Palladam-Karur route. Also, they were constructing a toll booth last February in that sector. Please let us know if that is operational.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:07   #77
BHPian

Default re: Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries

HI All

i am travelling to velankanni this friday (27/5). I am travelling from pala in kerala and plan to take the kanjirapally, kumily, cumbum, theni, dindigul, trichy, tanjavur velankanni route. i plan to reach velankanni by evening starting at around 5.30 a.m. from pala.

This is the same route i took 3 years back. is this still the best option? how are the roads?

On the way back i plan to go to Kodaikanal. Any suggestions for reasonably priced but neat, clean and safe accommodation in kodaikanal (it can be a little away from the lake-i don't mind)
Mohan Mathew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:53   #78
Team-BHP Support

With regards to Tanjore - Velanjanni : Both options one via Thiruvarur while the other via Thiruthuraipoondi have their share of bad section. I guess still Thiruthuraipoondi option makes more sense.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 11:16   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
i am travelling to velankanni this friday (27/5). I am travelling from pala in kerala and plan to take the kanjirapally, kumily, cumbum, theni, dindigul, trichy, tanjavur velankanni route.
Quote:
With regards to Tanjore - Velanjanni : Both options one via Thiruvarur while the other via Thiruthuraipoondi have their share of bad section. I guess still Thiruthuraipoondi option makes more sense.
I recently did Tanjore-Thiruvarur-Nagapattinam. It's in very bad shape.
It got everything - moon sized potholes, rough roads, removed speed breakers (like a cut in road. It is very hard to spot from distance and literally spine breaking if taken at speed!!!). I had elders with me travelling on that day and I had to take it real slow. Took me around 2.5 hours to cover 90 kms.

I heard from locals that Tanjore-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni route is in much better shape than thiruvarur option.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 18:00   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
I recently did Tanjore-Thiruvarur-Nagapattinam. It's in very bad shape.
It got everything - moon sized potholes, rough roads, removed speed breakers (like a cut in road. It is very hard to spot from distance and literally spine breaking if taken at speed!!!). I had elders with me travelling on that day and I had to take it real slow. Took me around 2.5 hours to cover 90 kms.

I heard from locals that Tanjore-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni route is in much better shape than thiruvarur option.
What about the Theni-madurai-Sivaganga-nagapattanam road. This will completely bypass the tanjavur-velankanni stretch

How is this road? Is it good and a better option? Is this 4 lanes with divider or only 2 lanes? I will be driving in a vento, so negotiating big craters will be a pain and progress will be slow.

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 24th May 2016 at 18:02.
Old 24th May 2016, 18:14   #81
BHPian

Quote:
What about the Theni-madurai-Sivaganga-nagapattanam road. This will completely bypass the tanjavur-velankanni stretch
I have not taken that route yet.

You could also check via Karaikudi. I had taken Madurai-Karaikudi road almost 6-7 months back and it was in good shape back then. But no idea about Karaikudi-Nagapattinam stretch. https://goo.gl/maps/5aRE9sXFRq12
Old 26th May 2016, 14:40   #82
BHPian

Karaikudi - Aranthangi - Kattumavadi - Muthupet - Vedaranyam ( we had to go to the temple ) - Velankanni was OK when we did in Feb. Karaikudi - Aranthangi is good ( the odd pothole / eroded surface ) for most parts. Aranthangi - Kattumavadi : same. Very good road from Kattumavadi to Muthupet: was a breeze. Muthupet to Vedaranyam was OK/good. Vedaranyam to Velankanni a lot of the road was being relaid : so it was a bit of a trouble.

But you dont' have to go to Vedaranayam. From Muthupet -> Thiruthuraipoondi -> Velankanni. Unsure of the state of this stretch though.

I can vouch that Karaikudi - Muthupet is no problem though.

Trichy - Thanjavur - Needamangalam - Thiruvarur - Nagai will see heavy traffic and bad roads ( somewhat eases out late in night when only trucks ply, but bad roads still ) : so that route may not be my choice. But the positive is that it will get you 4 lanes till almost Thanjavur from Madurai though.

Last edited by airguitar : 26th May 2016 at 14:45.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 22:21   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
I have not taken that route yet.

You could also check via Karaikudi. I had taken Madurai-Karaikudi road almost 6-7 months back and it was in good shape back then. But no idea about Karaikudi-Nagapattinam stretch. https://goo.gl/maps/5aRE9sXFRq12
Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Karaikudi - Aranthangi - Kattumavadi - Muthupet - Vedaranyam ( we had to go to the temple ) - Velankanni was OK when we did in Feb. Karaikudi - Aranthangi is good ( the odd pothole / eroded surface ) for most parts. Aranthangi - Kattumavadi : same. Very good road from Kattumavadi to Muthupet: was a breeze. Muthupet to Vedaranyam was OK/good. Vedaranyam to Velankanni a lot of the road was being relaid : so it was a bit of a trouble.

But you dont' have to go to Vedaranayam. From Muthupet -> Thiruthuraipoondi -> Velankanni. Unsure of the state of this stretch though.

I can vouch that Karaikudi - Muthupet is no problem though.

Trichy - Thanjavur - Needamangalam - Thiruvarur - Nagai will see heavy traffic and bad roads ( somewhat eases out late in night when only trucks ply, but bad roads still ) : so that route may not be my choice. But the positive is that it will get you 4 lanes till almost Thanjavur from Madurai though.

So either i go to Tanjavur and take the Thiruthuraipoondi to Velankanni or
from Theni go to Madurai and from their either go Via Sivaganga or Via Karaikudi.

Is the Madurai-Karaikudi-Kattumavadi stretch single lane road or 4 lane with dividers.

Also any idea about the Madurai-sivaganga-thondi road. that is one of the options that google is showing?
Old 27th May 2016, 08:22   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
From Muthupet -> Thiruthuraipoondi -> Velankanni. Unsure of the state of this stretch though.
Heard Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni is in good condition (wide 2 lane roads).

Quote:
So either i go to Tanjavur and take the Thiruthuraipoondi to Velankanni or
from Theni go to Madurai and from their either go Via Sivaganga or Via Karaikudi.
Yes, pretty much.
Quote:
Is the Madurai-Karaikudi-Kattumavadi stretch single lane road or 4 lane with dividers.
Madurai-Karaikudi is 2 lane. Not sure about Karaikudi-Kattumavadi, but I think it should be 2 lane as it's a state highway and very much an extension of Madurai-Karaikudi road.
Old 30th May 2016, 08:45   #85
BHPian

Default Re: Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries

I went to Velankanni on Friday and returned the next day. I took the Tanjavur-Thiruthuraipoondi road-both ways. The road is pretty ok except for the stretch from Mannargudi to Thirurhuraipoondi, which is broken and there are many potholes. Overall i took around 2 hours to cover the stretch from Tanjavur to Velankanni.

Thanks nfsfreak,airguitar and ampere for all the inputs
Old 2nd June 2016, 11:55   #86

Hi,

Planning to leave tomorrow to Velankanni from Palakkad.

From the suggestions given in the earlier posts, is this my fastest route?

Palakkad - Pollachi - Dharapuram - Oddanchatram - Dindigul Bypass - Tiruchirapally - Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruthaipoondi - Velankanni.

Since we are travelling with kids and parents, request suggestions for a good veg restaurant for breakfast at Dindigul, preferably near the Bypass.

For the return journey, which would be a a good non-veg restaurant for lunch in Tiruchirapally? How is Hotel Kannappa, in Grand Gardenia, Mannarpuram? I hope its better to plan for lunch at Tiruchirapally than Thanjavur.

Thanks!

Last edited by TPaulV : 2nd June 2016 at 12:21. Reason: Repeat post, hence deleting
TPaulV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:15   #87

Hi,

Planning to leave tomorrow to Velankanni from Palakkad. From the suggestions in the earlier posts, planning to take the following route:

Palakkad - Pollachi - Dharapuram - Oddanchatram - Dindigul Bypass - Tiruchirapalli - Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni

Is this the fastest and most comfortable route?

Since we are travelling with kids and parents, please suggest a good veg restaurant for breakfast near Dindigul Bypass.

For our return journey, is it better to plan for lunch halt at Tiruchirapalli rather than Thanjavur? Which would be a good non-veg restaurant for lunch at Tiruchirapalli? How is Hotel Kannappa in Grand Gardenia, Mannarpuram?

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:34   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPaulV View Post
Palakkad - Pollachi - Dharapuram - Oddanchatram - Dindigul Bypass - Tiruchirapalli - Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni

Is this the fastest and most comfortable route?
This is a good option.

Quote:
Since we are travelling with kids and parents, please suggest a good veg restaurant for breakfast near Dindigul Bypass.
I think there is Ponram around NH7 bypass.

Quote:
For our return journey, is it better to plan for lunch halt at Tiruchirapalli rather than Thanjavur? Which would be a good non-veg restaurant for lunch at Tiruchirapalli? How is Hotel Kannappa in Grand Gardenia, Mannarpuram?
Yes Grand Gardenia is a good and also right on the highway. You may have to go round the signal to reach there.
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:47   #89

Quote:
This is a good option.
Thanks.

Another recent post has suggested Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruvarur - Velankanni.

Will this be better than Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni?

Asking this because Thanjavur - Velankanni sector is supposed to slow us down considerably!

One more query:

On our return trip, we intend to visit St Lourdes Church in Tiruchirapalli also. From there, google shows this route as faster: NH 67 - Sukkaliyur - NH7 - Aravankurichi - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Palakkad. How is this route?

Or is it better to stick on to the Tiruchirapalli - Dindigul Bypass - Oddanchatram - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Palakkad route itself?

Thanks

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2016 at 14:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:15   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPaulV View Post
Another recent post has suggested Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruvarur - Velankanni.

Will this be better than Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni?
No Thirvarur. Thiruthuraipoondi is a better option.

Quote:
On our return trip, we intend to visit St Lourdes Church in Tiruchirapalli also. From there, google shows this route as faster: NH 67 - Sukkaliyur - NH7 - Aravankurichi - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Palakkad. How is this route?
Trichy-Karur-Aravakurichi-Dharapuram is good option. Wide 2-lane for NH67 and then 4-lane from Karur to Arvakurichi.