Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 00:37   #526
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

I was thinking of taking a proper survival knife along (bear grylls or Gerber). Will it cause issues at the check post or during vehicle inspection (if at all that happens) ?
rahulya007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 11:07   #527
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I was thinking of taking a proper survival knife along (bear grylls or Gerber). Will it cause issues at the check post or during vehicle inspection (if at all that happens) ?
Not really. Just don't keep it at an obvious place.
your vehicle will be searched in states of Punjab and JK, where they love to stop people, esp at night without families and harass them.
They will beg for a few bucks, and all that will be needed is negotiation skills. Or... do not travel at night
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 11:30   #528
BHPian
 
akshaymahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 480
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Make sure you are out of Srinagar by 11-11:30am or so
Check. We land at 9 and plan to hit the road ASAP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its doable provided you have permits. If you go via Tsaga La, its only slightly less than going via Leh, however, Kakasang La is a shortcut. If road is open, do take this one, though its steep.
Noted will check the route details here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Leh Taxi union is your best bet. A yellow plate outside state vehicle won't work
Yes we actually talked to someone for a backup vehicle from Srinagar but the problem was that they refused to be with us in Leh/Nubra/Pangong and said they would meet us at Tso moriri. So we will effectively be without a backup for a couple of days. Still looking at this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
if you have 10 day s Delhi Delhi this is the best you can do
1. Delhi - Patnitop
2. Patnitop - Srinagar and local sight seeing
3. Srinagar - Kargil
4. Kargil Leh
5. Leh Nubra Leh(sand dunes at hunder are 5 hours away)
6. Leh - Pangong
7. Pangong - Chumathang
8. Chumathang - Tso moriri - Tso Kar
9. Tso Kar - Sarchu - Keylong
10. Keylong - kullu
11. kullu Delhi - Delhi

You can ditch either Tso Kar/Tso moriri or Ditch nubra valley.
your choice
Now I need to bother you for finalizing our route.
We leave Srinagar on the 11th morning and have to be back to Manali before lunch on the 19th. Also we dont mind missing out a few places but would like to enjoy whatever place we go to and not ride for over 150-200 kms a day
So the plan is like this.

Day 1: Land in Srinagar. Ride to Kargil
Day 2 :Start early morning and ride to Leh
Day 3: Leh- Khardungla- Leh
Day 4: Leh - Tangtse, pangong
Day 5: Chumathang
Day 6: Tsomoriri
Day 7: Sarchu
Day 8: Keylong
Day 9: Manali

Or we can skip Khardungla and do Tso Kar and Tso Moriri.

Need you expert advice here as well
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 12:07   #529
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Or we can skip Khardungla and do Tso Kar and Tso Moriri.

Need you expert advice here as well
I would advise that. Khardungla is seriously overrated.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 14:46   #530
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Went over your guide tsk and got even more confused. Cant decide which places to go which to leave out. Have made a tentative iternity please read and give your inputs.

Day 1- Meerut-Rampur
Day 2- Rampur-Kaza
Day 3- Kaza-Jispa
Day 4- Jispa-Leh
Day 5- Leh-Nubra
Day 6- Nubra-Pangong (via Wari La)
Day 7- Pangong-Chumatang
Day 8- Tso Morari/Tso Kar
Day 9- Tso Morari- Sarchu
Day 10- Sarchu-Manali
Day 11- Manali-Meerut

Car would be a Toyota Fortuner 4*4. 4 Adults 2 50yr olds and our children (2 young adults). Do you think all these distances are managable?

I wanted to avoid kashmir due to amarnath yatra rush. As far as i have understood the new permit rules that you have posted i don't think i need a permit for any of these routes Do let me know what you think about this iternity. Thanks in advance.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 15:22   #531
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Went over your guide tsk and got even more confused. Cant decide which places to go which to leave out. Have made a tentative iternity please read and give your inputs.

Day 1- Meerut-Rampur
Day 2- Rampur-Kaza
Day 3- Kaza-Jispa
Day 4- Jispa-Leh
Day 5- Leh-Nubra
Day 6- Nubra-Pangong (via Wari La)
Day 7- Pangong-Chumatang
Day 8- Tso Morari/Tso Kar
Day 9- Tso Morari- Sarchu
Day 10- Sarchu-Manali
Day 11- Manali-Meerut

.
No permits needed
Why are you going to Kaza?
Does not make sense to go through spiti unless you are planning to spend a couple of nights there.

Here is a better itenary
1. Meerut - Manali
2. Manali - Jispa (Start very early morning and take permits for Rohtang at Gulaba check post)
3. Jispa Leh
4. Leh Nubra
5. Nubra - Pangong via wari La
6. Pangong -Chumathang
7. Chumathang - Tso Moriri - Tso Kar (night stay)
8. Tso Kar - Jispa/Sarchu
9. Jispa - Lake Chandertaal
10. Chandertaal kullu
11. Kullu - Meerut

Plan advantages
you get to see Chandertaal, which is a lovely lake.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 15:58   #532
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No permits needed
Why are you going to Kaza?
Does not make sense to go through spiti unless you are planning to spend a couple of nights there.

Here is a better itenary
1. Meerut - Manali
2. Manali - Jispa (Start very early morning and take permits for Rohtang at Gulaba check post)
3. Jispa Leh
4. Leh Nubra
5. Nubra - Pangong via wari La
6. Pangong -Chumathang
7. Chumathang - Tso Moriri - Tso Kar (night stay)
8. Tso Kar - Jispa/Sarchu
9. Jispa - Lake Chandertaal
10. Chandertaal kullu
11. Kullu - Meerut

Plan advantages
you get to see Chandertaal, which is a lovely lake.
Thanks for the advise TSK. I always wanted to include chandertaal have heard a lot about it. Do you feel it's worth going to spiti (I may extend a couple of days) or its best left for another trip (can easily be covered in one week from Meerut). Last time I went via Srinagar and did not have any problem with AMS. Hopefully staying at jispa will help.

I also wanted to enquire the status of rohtang during ascent. Last time I went July 2011 I had a tough time even descending in my Innova and was stuck for 8 hours there (Rani nallah if I remember correctly). That time cars were finding to cross it from manali. Any updates how will it be around 20th july.

Has Zing Zing bar problem been solved. Do not hear about it now a days but back in 2011 it was the talk of town. I lost my front number plates there and started at an ungodly 5am from sarchu to cross it when it's at its lowest. Thanks once again for this awesome guide and advise. All books (koko Singh, the new outlook, etc.) Pale in comparison to your description. Please publish it am sure it will help thousands of enthusiasts discover ladakh like never before.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 16:25   #533
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Thanks for the advise TSK. I always wanted to include chandertaal have heard a lot about it. Do you feel it's worth going to spiti (I may extend a couple of days) or its best left for another trip (can easily be covered in one week from Meerut). Last time I went via Srinagar and did not have any problem with AMS. Hopefully staying at jispa will help.
If you can take 2-3 days extra, then spend two nights in Tabo and make a day trip to Pin valley
Then next stay at Chandertaal and then Chandertaal - Sarchu and Sarchu to leh

you can do Rampur - Tabo. It will be a long drive because there are specific timings near Tapri as road is one way(every 30 minutes one way traffic is allowed).

My suggestion, do Spiti in the return leg, not going leg.
From chandertall you go to Kaza and then spend one night in kaza and one in Tabo etc.,

Quote:
I also wanted to enquire the status of rohtang during ascent. Last time I went July 2011 I had a tough time even descending in my Innova and was stuck for 8 hours there (Rani nallah if I remember correctly). That time cars were finding to cross it from manali. Any updates how will it be around 20th july.

Has Zing Zing bar problem been solved. Do not hear about it now a days but back in 2011 it was the talk of town. I lost my front number plates there and started at an ungodly 5am from sarchu to cross it when it's at its lowest. Thanks once again for this awesome guide and advise. All books (koko Singh, the new outlook, etc.) Pale in comparison to your description. Please publish it am sure it will help thousands of enthusiasts discover ladakh like never before.
Jams will be a problem. So cross Rohtang early morning. Leave from Manali by 6am. fortuner will have no problem anywhere on the entire route.

Thanks for the kind words about the book. will try to compile it in a PDF and put in on play store etc.,


New plan with Spiti on return leg

Tso Kar - Jispa
Jispa Chandertaal(7 hours or 8 hours only)
Chandertaal - Kaza - + kibber trip (30kms only from Kaza)
Kaza - Pin valley - Tabo(or ahead) - Try Nako
Tabo - Rampur or Nako - Narkanda
Rampur/Narkanda - Meerut

From Chandertaal, you start early morning after seeing lake in sunrise (7am start).
Reach Kaza by noon or so. Have lunch, drive to Komic high mountains and come back by 5

Relax.
Next day see pin valley and drive onto Nako

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th June 2014 at 16:27.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 18:59   #534
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tso Kar - Jispa
Jispa Chandertaal(7 hours or 8 hours only)
Chandertaal - Kaza - + kibber trip (30kms only from Kaza)
Kaza - Pin valley - Tabo(or ahead) - Try Nako
Tabo - Rampur or Nako - Narkanda
Rampur/Narkanda - Meerut

From Chandertaal, you start early morning after seeing lake in sunrise (7am start).
Reach Kaza by noon or so. Have lunch, drive to Komic high mountains and come back by 5

Relax.
Next day see pin valley and drive onto Nako
Thanks again tanveer for helping me out. I wanted to know how difficult is the trek up to chandertaal and whether car rather the truck can be parked safely there. There must only be rented accommodation at chandertaal? Any idea how comfortable it is?

Now that you have made a great iternity looks like it's time to start packing. Thanks a lot

Anurag
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 23:57   #535
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Not really. Just don't keep it at an obvious place.
your vehicle will be searched in states of Punjab and JK, where they love to stop people, esp at night without families and harass them.
They will beg for a few bucks, and all that will be needed is negotiation skills. Or... do not travel at night
offcourse not and we do not plan to do a night run anywhere so hopefully should not face problem with the cops or security forces.

Is July 12 and later a good time to visit Lahaul spiti on our return leg to Mumbai ? We had that plan earlier but later dropped it.

let me know if this is feasible as I am still open for a plan change.
rahulya007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 10:37   #536
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Thanks again tanveer for helping me out. I wanted to know how difficult is the trek up to chandertaal and whether car rather the truck can be parked safely there. There must only be rented accommodation at chandertaal? Any idea how comfortable it is?

Now that you have made a great iternity looks like it's time to start packing. Thanks a lot

Anurag
Tented accomodation at Chandertaal is mostly run by a guy called Jamaica. I can PM you his number. Give him my reference when you call him and he will sort everything out for you.
Trek is a simple walk(half km or so). Its not even a trek per se.

Your car will be safe in the parking lot. All vehicles are parked there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
offcourse not and we do not plan to do a night run anywhere so hopefully should not face problem with the cops or security forces.

Is July 12 and later a good time to visit Lahaul spiti on our return leg to Mumbai ? We had that plan earlier but later dropped it.

let me know if this is feasible as I am still open for a plan change.
If you have spare days you can definitely do it. Its all a question of 2-3 extra nights
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 15:24   #537
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tented accomodation at Chandertaal is mostly run by a guy called Jamaica. I can PM you his number. Give him my reference when you call him and he will sort everything out for you.
Trek is a simple walk(half km or so). Its not even a trek per se.
Thanks for the help tanveer. I will work out the logistics in a few days and will PM you for the number or any other questions.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 01:18   #538
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

If you have spare days you can definitely do it. Its all a question of 2-3 extra nights
Excuse me for my repeated Question Tanveer. I had asked YS about an itinerary we had planned for Leh including Lahaul Spiti which was starting from July 12 from Mumbai and returing back by end of July. He had mentioned that Post 15 June Lahaul Spiti is not recommended as it starts raining there and roads can close any time owing to Land slides. Since this topic came out on this thread, I thought of checking with you if Lahaul Spiti is easily doable during this period or should we skip it ? We would be max 3 or 4 people and do not want to take undue risk and hence asking repeatedly. Pardon me.

If it is doable, would you suggest stops in L-S starting from Sarchu ?

Earlier we had planned:

Sarchu - Chhatru - 180 Kms
Chhatru - Kaza - 140 Kms (haven't covered Chandrataal, also suggest if it can be done)
Kaza - Nako - 125 Kms
Nako - Chitkul - 150 Kms
Shitkul-Shimla - 250 Kms
Shimla - Jaipur - 600 Kms
Jaipur - Mumbai - 1165 Kms
rahulya007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 10:49   #539
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Excuse me for my repeated Question Tanveer. I had asked YS about an itinerary we had planned for Leh including Lahaul Spiti which was starting from July 12 from Mumbai and returing back by end of July. He had mentioned that Post 15 June Lahaul Spiti is not recommended as it starts raining there and roads can close any time owing to Land slides. Since this topic came out on this thread, I thought of checking with you if Lahaul Spiti is easily doable during this period or should we skip it ? We would be max 3 or 4 people and do not want to take undue risk and hence asking repeatedly. Pardon me.

If it is doable, would you suggest stops in L-S starting from Sarchu ?

Earlier we had planned:

Sarchu - Chhatru - 180 Kms
Chhatru - Kaza - 140 Kms (haven't covered Chandrataal, also suggest if it can be done)
Kaza - Nako - 125 Kms
Nako - Chitkul - 150 Kms
Shitkul-Shimla - 250 Kms
Shimla - Jaipur - 600 Kms
Jaipur - Mumbai - 1165 Kms
The route is anyways unstable always. Not just monsoons(its a rain shadow).
However, if you want to minimize risk stay one light in Chandertaal and then come back to Manali.
The problem area for the Spiti route is near Recong Peo and then near Tapri. But any landslides are cleared within a day or so
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 12:02   #540
Mik
BHPian
 
Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GGN>BLR
Posts: 361
Thanked: 298 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

I had taken printout of some of the sections in the guide and they came in very handy at Chushul. Thanks a million for that.
Just a query regarding the kakasang La route.
At the T point where the army stands guard, they flatly refused to let us go the Chushul- Rezang la - Loma route saying something about a red alert. Since one of us was an army man, we were able to cajole the officer to let us through. At that T point, one road was going to Tangste I think. The other road went the Rezangla war memorial - chagga la - loma route. Where was the kakasang la route ? Wasn't able to figure that out.
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek] adc Travelogues 49 1st January 2016 13:29
Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here Abhiknov Route / Travel Queries 943 31st May 2013 11:03
Ladakh & Zanskar: The road(s) less travelled vardhan.harsh Travelogues 112 15th June 2012 11:51
Leh and Ladakh. vivekiny2k Route / Travel Queries 46 21st August 2010 00:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks