Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:40   #601
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
The route does look mouth watering. But the road conditions seeing your 2012 experience do look a bit scary. Are the water crossings on the road to chushul a problem? And the road to kakasang La can we expect better conditions than what you have posted?
Your map says around 8 hours from Pangong to Tso Morari. Is this time a reasonable assumption? Considering the deserted route would not want to drive past sunset. If the road conditions are favorable i would love to try the route.
My map is accurate and takes into account photography breaks. If you find this too scary, remember such routes are often done by 2WD Sumo's with half the engine missing and 1/4th the power of your vehicle
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 04:23   #602
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My map is accurate and takes into account photography breaks. If you find this too scary, remember such routes are often done by 2WD Sumo's with half the engine missing and 1/4th the power of your vehicle
Thanks for the advise tanveer. That makes the final plan

30th july- Meerut-Manali
31st July- Manali-Jispa
1st Aug- Jispa-Leh
2nd Aug- Leh (permits)
3rd Aug- leh- nubra
4th Aug- Nubra-pangong (Wari la)
5th Aug- Pangong-Tso morari (Kakasang la)
6th Aug-Tso morari- Sarchu
7th Aug- Sarchu-Manali
8th Aug- Manali-Leh

Due you think I need to pre book places to stay anywhere? I like to keep my plan open so will like to avoid unless necessary. The iternity looks very good thanks to your guidance and am eagerly looking forward to the trip.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 08:46   #603
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NJ & Kolkata
Posts: 156
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not worry about one way or stuff like that in October. The rush dies down, and roads are quite empty. But its going to be cold (-10 can be expected at Hanle and Tso moriri as well as Pangong)

Secondly, you may not be allowed Chumur. So from Kyun Tso you simply take Chumur Track to Tso moriri. As it is there is no stay option at Chumur
Thanks Tanveer. I am not worried about the cold - I am quite covered there (no pun intended).

About Chumur, will see if I get the permit, otherwise, as you said, head out to Tso Moriri. I guess accomodation there means the Tso Moriri Camp & Resort at Karzok, right?

I am especially concerned about the trips on 9th and 10th Oct. Is that stretch doable in this time? I would like to avoid driving after sunset.

Also, I have a question about accomodation in some of the other places like Turtuk, Diskit, Spangmik and Hanle. I read about the tent accomodations in Turtuk (Holiday Camp) and Spangmik. Do I have to pre-book these (if so, how?), or just walk-in and ask?

As always, thanks for your suggestions and time.
mr.sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:13   #604
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Thanks for the advise tanveer. That makes the final plan


Due you think I need to pre book places to stay anywhere? I like to keep my plan open so will like to avoid unless necessary. The iternity looks very good thanks to your guidance and am eagerly looking forward to the trip.
Leh city may need booking. Rest is okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Thanks Tanveer. I am not worried about the cold - I am quite covered there (no pun intended).

About Chumur, will see if I get the permit, otherwise, as you said, head out to Tso Moriri. I guess accomodation there means the Tso Moriri Camp & Resort at Karzok, right?

I am especially concerned about the trips on 9th and 10th Oct. Is that stretch doable in this time? I would like to avoid driving after sunset.

Also, I have a question about accomodation in some of the other places like Turtuk, Diskit, Spangmik and Hanle. I read about the tent accomodations in Turtuk (Holiday Camp) and Spangmik. Do I have to pre-book these (if so, how?), or just walk-in and ask?

As always, thanks for your suggestions and time.
I will be surprised if you find any other tourist anywhere. And I suggest stay in a non tented acco at Diskit instead of Turtuk. -7 in a tent is not a pleasant thing even when you are covered up. If you have done it before, fine, but if not, do not make this your first tent experience.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 23:32   #605
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

I wanted to know which network would be the best for this trip. I only have prepaid cards as of now and will have to buy a postpaid.

Should I only buy Bsnl(a tedious process) or does airtel also work well there. I had seen aggressive marketing by aircel in Kashmir. Is it any better in ladakh?

And secondly which places can I expect to find mobile connectivity. Is diskit covered?

One more question. How much fuel should I carry considering the 80 litre tank on my fortuner. Since am going via Wari La and onwards kakasang la I might not get a fuel station since I leave leh till Tandi. I don't expect more than 8kmpl on that terrain. Any suggestions how much fuel should I carry?

Thanks in advance.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 23:47   #606
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,267
Thanked: 4,031 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I wanted to know which network would be the best for this trip. I only have prepaid cards as of now and will have to buy a postpaid.

Should I only buy Bsnl(a tedious process) or does airtel also work well there. I had seen aggressive marketing by aircel in Kashmir. Is it any better in ladakh?

And secondly which places can I expect to find mobile connectivity. Is diskit covered?

Thanks in advance.
BSNL is the best option. You will have BSNL connection in Diskit.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 00:10   #607
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
BSNL is the best option. You will have BSNL connection in Diskit.
Thanks for that. So connectivity till Darcha and then leh and diskit. That's about it I suppose.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 15:31   #608
BHPian
 
akmits_bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Hello,

Here is our itinerary. Being the first time, we are keeping it easy after the highway miles.
PM me if your dates coincide with us

8/1/2014 Friday Pune
8/2/2014 Saturday Udaipur
8/3/2014 Sunday Chandigarh
8/4/2014 Monday Patnitop
8/5/2014 Tuesday sonmarg
8/6/2014 Wednesday kargil
8/7/2014 Thursday Likir
8/8/2014 Friday leh
8/9/2014 Saturday leh
8/10/2014 Sunday Pangong
8/11/2014 Monday keylong
8/12/2014 Tuesday ambala
8/13/2014 Wednesday jaipur
8/14/2014 Thursday pune

Cheers
-ajay
akmits_bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 20:06   #609
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 34
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

What's the best route from Udaipur to Srinagar?
anupamtiwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 12:36   #610
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 557
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I suggest you invest in a good mask. Will serve you better than an oxygen cylinder as asthamatics are more prone to attacks due to dust rather than thin air. Manali leh highway, and even Srinagar Leh highway can be extremely dusty
A hepa filter equipped good quality mask can fix the issue for you
Do you have any links for the mask? Or, any place near Delhi airport to pick these from?
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 13:51   #611
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,921
Thanked: 15,587 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Do you have any links for the mask? Or, any place near Delhi airport to pick these from?
You have to ask around chemist shops.
In USA they cost 20$
http://www.amazon.com/3M-7182-3M%C2%.../dp/B0006FMK0W

In India you get contraptions like these
http://www.ebay.in/itm/3M-Anti-Pollu...item19ef9108c1

Slightly better
http://www.ebay.in/itm/NeoMask-Anti-...item233d173328
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 15:39   #612
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 557
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Oh I was thinking something subtle. I don't want to risk getting mistaken for a terrorist wearing one of these around disputed regions
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 15:51   #613
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,422
Thanked: 2,071 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamtiwari View Post
What's the best route from Udaipur to Srinagar?
Which Udaipur, HP or RJ?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 16:05   #614
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 995
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Oh I was thinking something subtle. I don't want to risk getting mistaken for a terrorist wearing one of these around disputed regions
You Won't!!!

I wore a Tube covering my Face and Head, except Eyes, almost all my trip and was never harassed or challenged for that.
roy_libran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 19:36   #615
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Tanveer, just wanted to check if I could use your map on page 1 of the Leh thread across my blog etc? With due credits of course mentioned.

Unable to PM hence checking here for your permission.


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
UrbanNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek] adc Travelogues 49 1st January 2016 13:29
Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here Abhiknov Route / Travel Queries 943 31st May 2013 11:03
Ladakh & Zanskar: The road(s) less travelled vardhan.harsh Travelogues 112 15th June 2012 11:51
Leh and Ladakh. vivekiny2k Route / Travel Queries 46 21st August 2010 00:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks