Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th June 2015, 16:00   #931
BHPian

Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Hi,

I have created a thread on some travel advice for my trip to Spiti and Ladakh in July. I am doing Mumbai - Chandigarh - Chail - Sangla - Kalpa - Tabo - Kaza - Chndertal - Kispa - Sarchu - Leh - Nubra - Pangong - Leh - Tso Morriri - Leh.

I am looking for suggestions for
1. Places to have lunch on these routes
2. Any interesting / scenic detours
3. Best dining options in Leh

The thread with detailed itinerary is here.

Request you to provide suggestions.

Thanks!

Mod Note: Post merged with an existing sticky thread- please search the forum before starting new threads. Thanks!

Last edited by noopster : 29th June 2015 at 20:19. Reason: Refer mod note in post
gragusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 19:22   #932
BHPian

Default Re: Eating Places, interesting halts in Spiti, Lahaul and Ladakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gragusha View Post
Hi friends,

I am planning to drive in Spiti, Lahaul and Ladakh this July in my own vehicle with my family from Mumbai.

I am looking for suggestions for

1. places to have lunch on these routes

Thanks!
First let me try to answer your questions and then I'd comment on your schedule a little bit

1. places to have lunch on these routes

I dont think you can really control this too much when you're traveling on the Spiti-Ladakh route. Just eat at any place when its time for lunch or dinner would be my advice. Food is going to be pretty basic, so don't expect too much

- With Maggi being banned, I think the travelers are going to suffer too much this season with chow mein and thukpas being the other quick meal options. Another safe option is to have Aloo parathas, but you may soon get bored of them.

- Some places you could actually get limited continental and chinese cuisine (eg Tabo)

- Non-veg is available, but I'm really not sure how the poultry copes up with the high altitude and transportation. So we've always avoided it, but eggs should be relatively easier and safer bet.

- Remember not to eat too heavy through the trip. High altitude is never your best friend.

- Since you're going to Sangla, visit Chitkul as well

- Kalpa has a nice view of the Kinner Kailash, I'm sure you're going up all the way for that only

- Tabo monastery - it's on your list I presume since you're staying there

- Dhankar/Chandratal - you've gotten them as well

- Visit the Shey monastery on the way to Lamayuru

- Take ample amount of stops on the way when you see some interesting view. The route has more scenic places enroute than actual destinations.

- Leh will have a lot of eating options but you could try Gesmo, Cafe Jeevan, German Bakery, Lamayuru Restaurant

Now coming to your itinerary:

- First and foremost, build in some buffer days. Right now your plan is prone to failure if you miss even one day

- Next, you've not mentioned what car you're taking. A lot of things can change with that itself. I'm assuming you're taking an SUV but if not then you'll need to review a few things.

- You're planning to travel more than half the day to a place and leave next day morning. Not sure what you'd enjoy there, especially in Spiti. Road conditions may not be all that great so don't go by distances to calculate time, your average speeds may be as low as 30kph for the day.

- Chandratal to Jispa will be a treacherous route, start early since this could take more than 12 hours

- Sarchu to Leh via Tso Kar - are you just driving to Tso Kar and back? That's a detour from the main road, and its not very easy to find that turn off from the Manali-Leh road (at least when I went last there were no markings to indicate the turn off)

- Diskit to Pangong via Wari La is an adventure route. Now I'm assuming you've got a 4x4 as well. There are chances of getting stuck on this route so be prepared.

- Instead of keeping the round trip to Tso Moriri for the last, why don't you do it on the way from Sarchu to Leh. Given that Indian tourists now no longer require ILP, you can plan for this. So you could do Sarchu-TsoKar-TsoMoriri and then next day go from TsoMoriri to Leh on your way up.

Remember that the only thing you can do on a Leh trip is make a rough plan, DO NOT attempt to stick to the plan at all times. Take it easy and enjoy the trip, plans just never seem to work in the mountains and that's the beauty of it.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 22:15   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post

I dont think you can really control this too much when you're traveling on the Spiti-Ladakh route. Just eat at any place when its time for lunch or dinner would be my advice. Food is going to be pretty basic, so don't expect too much
Hi @amolpol, Thank you for your detailed response. I am taking 4x4 Fortuner so hopefully will be relatively safe from getting stuck. Also carrying a whole load of recovery gear!

To give some background, I have done Kinnaur, Spiti and Ladakh - in 2010 (Scorpio / Endeavor / Innova - self-drive rental with breakdowns- but that is another long story) and Kinnaur, Spiti in 2012 (Innova). Earlier ones were "boys" trips. This time going with wifey and daughter (13 yrs) - her school summer holidays have now shifted to June/July!

Since 3 years are past the last trip, was thinking that maybe some more interesting eating places have popped up or some more interesting scenic "detours" have opened up/discovered - e.g. the Agham-Shyok route.

1. Regarding reserve days. I have assumed that I have a 2-3 extra days - the stop at Kalpa/Tabo/Chandertal/Sarchu. If I happen to get stuck - then I will need to sacrifice one or more of these. I could have stayed two days at Sangla but decided to split it between Sangla and Kalpa - only 2 hours apart. Similarly, instead of staying two days at Kaza, decided to split it between Tabo and Kaza. IF required, will do Jispa to Leh in one day. Also have kept two days halt in Diskit - will sacrifice one if required.

Quote:
- Instead of keeping the round trip to Tso Moriri for the last, why don't you do it on the way from Sarchu to Leh. Given that Indian tourists now no longer require ILP, you can plan for this. So you could do Sarchu-TsoKar-TsoMoriri and then next day go from TsoMoriri to Leh on your way up.
Have another couple flying into Leh. They will join us for the Ladakh part of the tour. So, plan to do Tso Morriri with them.

2. Regarding lunch options: specifically looking for options
a. between Kalpa and Tabo - Nako helipad dhaba? Any other options?
b. f. Any recommended restaurant in Kalpa and Kaza?
c. between Kaza and Chandertal - anything other than Batal dhaba?
d. between Chandertal and Jispa - Chhatru/Gramphu???
e. Planning to go from Nubra to Pangong via Shyok, failing which Wari la, failing which.... - best options for lunch ??
f. between Leh and Tso Morriri - Chumathang?

3. What are the best restaurants in Leh - had gone to a slightly out of the way restaurant in 2010, which was open air - can't remember the name now.

4. Regarding interesting detours:
a. any suggested detour between Chail and Sangla rather than all the way on the NH 22.
b. Have been to Langza and Komic earlier. Loved the Buddha statue at Langza. Any suggestions on Kibber (if limited time, is it worth driving up to there). I know it is up to personal taste/interest - but would love to get different perspectives. Assuming we have 1.5 days in Kaza. What are the recommendations for attemting to see/do - Langza / Key / Kibber....

5. Another subjective question: we will end up doing at least 5-6 gompas during the trip. Will definitely do Tabo/Dhankar, Hemis, Alchi. Which are the others people suggest from interesting history/architecture/location perspective: Key/Thiksey/Chemery/Lamayuru/Shey?

6. Another question: an elderly couple is joining us in Leh. How much climbing steps/walking does Gurudwara Pathar Sahib involve?

7. Planning to do one day trip from Leh to Gurudwara Pather Sahib / Magnetic Hill / Confluence / Alchi / Likir. Is it worth driving up to Lamayuru to make it a long hectic day or better to return from Alchi?

8. Driving from Sangla to Chitkul vs. taking a hike, walk around Batseri village - any recommendations?

9. Apart from walk around Roghi, any other interesting walks in Kalpa?

Quote:
Remember that the only thing you can do on a Leh trip is make a rough plan, DO NOT attempt to stick to the plan at all times. Take it easy and enjoy the trip, plans just never seem to work in the mountains and that's the beauty of it.
Yes, completely agree - have made plans, will adjust according to what the mountains and mountain passes have in store for us...

Thanks again!
Old 30th June 2015, 13:17   #934

Smile Leh Trip In ZoomCar

Hi Friends,

Finally the moment has arrived. After long planning and numerous decision changes, we are finally going to Leh.

After considering very seriously on driving from Bengauru in our very own car (Inspired by fellow Bangalorean "MotoMaverick") finally decided to drop the plan.

We have hired a XUV 500 from Zoomcar. Must say Zoomcar has many advantages over it's competitors. It has low deposit amount of 5000 INR, good selection of cars and ease of location from where we can pick up the car to the attractive tariff and last booking process is very easy and hassle free.

Travel Route:

Delhi --> Amritsar --> Jammu --> Pahalgam --> Gulmarg --> Srinagar --> Kargil --> Leh --> Nubra Valley --> Pangong Lake --> Leh --> Jispa --> Rohtang --> Manali --> Chandigarh --> Delhi

Distance: Approx 3500 Kms

Will post more details soon....
ashrithhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 13:43   #935
BHPian

Default Re: Leh Trip In ZoomCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrithhj View Post
Hi Friends,

Finally the moment has arrived. After long planning and numerous decision changes, we are finally going to Leh.

After considering very seriously on driving from Bengauru in our very own car (Inspired by fellow Bangalorean "MotoMaverick") finally decided to drop the plan.

We have hired a XUV 500 from Zoomcar. Must say Zoomcar has many advantages over it's competitors. It has low deposit amount of 5000 INR, good selection of cars and ease of location from where we can pick up the car to the attractive tariff and last booking process is very easy and hassle free.

Travel Route:

Delhi --> Amritsar --> Jammu --> Pahalgam --> Gulmarg --> Srinagar --> Kargil --> Leh --> Nubra Valley --> Pangong Lake --> Leh --> Jispa --> Rohtang --> Manali --> Chandigarh --> Delhi

Distance: Approx 3500 Kms

Will post more details soon....
Just be mindful that you will not be able to take your rental XUV500 anywhere beyond Leh for sight seeing. So you might need to hire a local taxi for the Leh-Nubra-Pangong-Leh bit. For rest of your trip there shouldn't be any problems with a rental car.

Check the thread below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...e-rentals.html
kk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:23   #936
BHPian

Quote:

2. Regarding lunch options: specifically looking for options
a. between Kalpa and Tabo - Nako helipad dhaba? Any other options?
b. f. Any recommended restaurant in Kalpa and Kaza?

4. Regarding interesting detours:
a. any suggested detour between Chail and Sangla rather than all the way on the NH 22.

5. Another subjective question: we will end up doing at least 5-6 gompas during the trip. Will definitely do Tabo/Dhankar, Hemis, Alchi. Which are the others people suggest from interesting history/architecture/location perspective: Key/Thiksey/Chemery/Lamayuru/Shey?

8. Driving from Sangla to Chitkul vs. taking a hike, walk around Batseri village - any recommendations?
Hi,
Recently in May'15, I did Spiti trip in my Xylo, with wife and daughter. all self-drive. some extracts for you :

Food Related:

Kandaghat - Sadhupul* - Chail - Kufri - Fagu:
* several food joins serving snacks, while you seated in the Aasan river stream, lovely experience

Matiana - Narkhanda - Kumarsain* - Nirath - Rampur:
"Amar Bhojanalaya Kumarsain", at Murthal village near Kumarsain, a small restaurant serving delicious veg (vaishno) food.

Tapri: the famous Pappu Dhaba's thali.

Nako: Hotel Reo Purgil
good rooms, decent food

Tabo: good varieties at Monestary Cafe

Kaza: Rishu Sweets in the market, decent food.
I missed eating at famous Khyoma restaurant, opp to bus stop.

Route Related:
Kandaghat - Sadhupul - Chail - Kufri - Fagu: Lovely route.

A different route: After visiting the Dhankar Gompa, you can continue straight on the Dhankar Extension road, visit Lallung, Rama, Chabrang and come back to Lingti on main road. The road would add adventure to your trip. The roads were rough, and hardly saw any vehicles!

Sangla - Chitkul: quite rough road, manageable.

Kaza monastery is also very beautiful!

wishing you best of trip.

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 2nd July 2015 at 17:25.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:52   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,
Recently in May'15, I did Spiti trip in my Xylo, with wife and daughter. all self-drive. some extracts for you :
Hi Pranav - thank you for your response.

--------------------------------
An update and a possible setback even before we began! We were taking the our Fortuner 4WD to Spiti and Ladakh - I had sent the car with a driver from Mumbai to Chandigarh and I was planning fly to Chandigarh on the 4th and then take the car from the driver and drive from Chandigarh to Chail and onwards. Unfortunately our driver has banged the car today afternoon near Bhilwara! According to his version, he apparently hit a cow. The windshield is cracked, radiator broken, bonnet bent etc - basically looks like major damage.

I have still not given up on the trip and trying to organize some friend's car in Delhi Chandigarh.

I had a couple of questions:

1. Is Chandratal doable in a non 4WD SUV or do we need a 4WD? Might need to skip it now!

2. Whichever vehicle we get by tomorrow - it will definitely be a white number plate. But the vehicle will be in someone else's name. I saw some slightly ambiguous messages on the Ladakh Taxi Union thread that they are even harassing white number plate cars to see if the vehicle is in the occupant's name (or they are checking it at the check posts before Khardung La / Chang La). Is it true - does anyone know if I will face issues with white number plate as well?

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:42   #938
BHPian

Default Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

One question has always been on my mind:

Apart from the fuel costs what are the other cons of taking a petrol hatchback on the Ladakh and spirit circuit? Or is it doable on these roads?

My question is mainly due to the recent ban on self drive cars which would leave no option for people like me to take our petrol cars and would want to drive there and don't have a diesel car.

Regards,
Rahul

Last edited by rahulk2510 : 2nd July 2015 at 19:45.
rahulk2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:49   #939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. Is Chandratal doable in a non 4WD SUV or do we need a 4WD? Might need to skip it now!
No 4x4 needed. However if going by 2WD, something with a tight turning radius is very good due to narrow road. With careful driving, a hatchback can make it to the parking lot

Quote:
2. Whichever vehicle we get by tomorrow - it will definitely be a white number plate. But the vehicle will be in someone else's name. I saw some slightly ambiguous messages on the Ladakh Taxi Union thread that they are even harassing white number plate cars to see if the vehicle is in the occupant's name (or they are checking it at the check posts before Khardung La / Chang La). Is it true - does anyone know if I will face issues with white number plate as well?

Thanks!
Refuse to show papers. They have no authority. They would not stop unless they suspect. But stand your ground. Their main beef is with yellow on black.
Only issue is if you are in a white plate Sumo or Xylo or innova.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:51   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, that is perfect. The trek is high altitude and acclimatization is very important.
Any suggestions for the 2 spare days after the trek? (20th and 21st)
I was thinking about hiring a bike and visiting pangong and khardungla. doable?
Would also greatly appreciate inputs on the below please
1. Recommended places to rent bikes in Leh?
2. How much deposit would they demand?
3. Suggested routemap for 2 days around Leh.
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 23:49   #941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Any suggestions for the 2 spare days after the trek? (20th and 21st)
I was thinking about hiring a bike and visiting pangong and khardungla. doable?
Would also greatly appreciate inputs on the below please
1. Recommended places to rent bikes in Leh?
2. How much deposit would they demand?
3. Suggested routemap for 2 days around Leh.
Fixed prices of 800-1600 depending upon the bike.
No idea about the deposit.

Regarding iternary, Khardungla is a nightmare with unruly drivers and flying dust. So just take your bike, go to Hanle, ask for Sonam. You can give my reference. Next day, come back via Kyun Tso. Pulsar would be great for the trip.

If you want to see Pangong, then you can do a night stay there.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:56   #942
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Going to Leh in July for a trek (Stok Kangri) and need some advice for travel planning around it.
Below is my itinerary as per the trek schedule and my flight bookings.

Flying from Bangalore to Srinagar on 9th July (Reaching by noon)
The trek starts from 13th July so need to be in Leh latest by 12th noon.
Trek ends on 18th evening (will be back in Leh)
Flying back to Bangalore from Leh on 21st Morning.

Planning to travel by road from Srinagar to Leh (probably by shared taxi since I am travelling alone) on 10th and 11th with stay in Kargil.
And will probably rent a bike for the travel around Leh.

Please suggest travel plans from Srinagar to Leh as well as plan to go around within leh in the free time as per the above itinerary.

Thank you.
9th: Stay in Srinagar on 9th and you may visit the Shalimar Garden, Nishat Garden, Chashm - e - shahi, Pari Mahal, Shankaracharya Temple and also enjoy a shikara ride at the Dal Lake. I personally didn't like the gardens as they were way too crowded, but loved the views from Pari Mahal at dusk.

If you are a foodie, then don't forget to dive into some mutton delicacies at Adhoos near Lal Chowk.

10th: Leave for Kargil, breakfast stop at Sonamarg to enjoy the early morning views of the meadows and snow capped peaks. Once in Kargil, you may visit the Hall of Fame.

11th: Leave for Leh early morning from Kargil. On your way you will see the Lamayuru Moonlands, the confluence of river Indus and river Zanskar, the Gurudwara Pathar Sahib and Magnetic Hill.

12th: Acclimatization.

13th to 18th: Stok Kangri Trek. One beautiful trek this is, but one difficult trek too. I have been planning to do it for a year now, maybe next year. Do share a travelogue once you are back from the trip. All the best brother !

19th: Rest Day. Stroll around Leh Market and see the Leh Palace which is very close to the Leh Market.

Or if you don't feel much tired, hire a cab to visit the Pangong Tso and back !

20th: Hire a bike/cab and visit Shey Palace, Thiksey Monastery, Stakna Monastery, Hemis Monastery, Hall of Fame and Shanti Stupa.

I guess this would help !

Last edited by //M : 3rd July 2015 at 11:58.
//M is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:10   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Fixed prices of 800-1600 depending upon the bike.
No idea about the deposit.

Regarding iternary, Khardungla is a nightmare with unruly drivers and flying dust. So just take your bike, go to Hanle, ask for Sonam. You can give my reference. Next day, come back via Kyun Tso. Pulsar would be great for the trip.

If you want to see Pangong, then you can do a night stay there.
Thanks tsk1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
10th: Leave for Kargil, breakfast stop at Sonamarg to enjoy the early morning views of the meadows and snow capped peaks. Once in Kargil, you may visit the Hall of Fame.

11th: Leave for Leh early morning from Kargil. On your way you will see the Lamayuru Moonlands, the confluence of river Indus and river Zanskar, the Gurudwara Pathar Sahib and Magnetic Hill.
Planning to take a shared taxi for this travel.
Is it recommended to try and book in advance, or sufficient to walk in to the taxi stand on 9th and enquire/book for travel on 10th morning?

Quote:
13th to 18th: Stok Kangri Trek. One beautiful trek this is, but one difficult trek too. I have been planning to do it for a year now, maybe next year. Do share a travelogue once you are back from the trip. All the best brother !
Thanks a lot, I shall try and share a travelogue after the trip

Quote:
I guess this would help !
Most definitely does. Thank you!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd July 2015 at 15:18.
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:18   #944
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to take a shared taxi for this travel.
Is it recommended to try and book in advance, or sufficient to walk in to the taxi stand on 9th and enquire/book for travel on 10th morning?
I haven't booked a cab in advance from Srinagar ever so won't be able to guide you but most definitely you will get a shared cab right away on spot !

However, pre-booking would be better so if you have planned your stay in Srinagar, you can request your hotel manager to arrange one or give you details of a shared cab driver.

Many cabbies do Srinagar - Leh in one day I heard. But it would be better to enjoy the drive and stay a night at Kargil, would be good for acclimatization as well.
//M is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 20:07   #945
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am planning to do Pune-Leh -Pune around mid August in my Safari. Is there anyone else from anywhere who has a plan of starting on similar dates?
Ajitsingh208 is offline   Reply With Quote