Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th January 2012, 11:43   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Planning to do a trip to Kabbinakad junction near Coorg this weekend. Can some one advice me on which route would be better ? Taking my Esteem there so really pathetic roads is a no-no.

Route -1
Bangalore – Srirangapatna - Hunsur road - Virajpet.
From Virajpet travel on Madikeri road for 4 kms . After crossing small
bridge at Kaddanur- turn left and travel 19kms to Kabbinakad
junction.

or

Route -2
Bangalore – Srirangapatna -Srirangapatna- Hunsur road -Madikeri.
From madikeri take the Mangalore road and travel 4 kms and
turn left to the Bhagamandla road. At a place called Bettageri turn
left to Napoklu. From Napoklu travel to kabbinakad junction.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 12:46   #212
BHPian

@Ranjani -> You can browse through this link -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...needed-55.html

You will be able to get the latest update and time estimation from there..

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 13:18   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
That's a great suggestion.
My revised route now exits NH4 at Hiriyur and reaches Nelligere via Huliyar. That got me thinking, I can connect to NH48 M'lore-B'Lore at Nelligere and continue onwards to Madikeri via Channarayapattana.

Now I am assuming that the NH48 stretch should be ok, it's an NH right? And 50 kms should be doable within an hour. Or should I continue to Nagamangala?

That leaves the last leg from CNPattana to Madikeri - about 120 kms - which google suggests at 2.5 hrs. Is that realistic? How about the road condition.

If I make my overnight stay at Davangere, I need to cover about 400 odd kms to Madikeri that day. Factoring bad roads/breaks, 8-9 hrs?
I drive often from Madikeri to Gubbi and this is the route I always take - Kushalanagar-Hunsur-Srirangapatna-Padavapura-Nagamangala-Nelligere-Bellur Cross-Adichunchanagiri-Kadaba and then take deviation towards Gubbi with out going to Nittur.

I have tried others, but found this to be the best in terms of road and time.

You can follow the route in the reverse.

Though its a bit long, but the road are good and less speed breakers. The roads are bad when you enter the towns, otherwise good to drive. Watch out for over loaded 3 wheeler, tractors and mini lorries with coconut shells, especially in night.

They switch off the light in night as soon as they see a four wheeler in front, so that we can see that they have occupied the entire road. Once scrapped my scorpio.

You can reach Nittur via Tumkur-gubbi or Chelur.

This is just one more alternative.

Regards
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 13:48   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes the road from Srirangapatna to Kushalnagar is fine. The Yelwal byepass is a bit iffy in patches but certainly motorable.
Dont take the south coorg left turn - take only the main road to Madikeri through Periyapatna etc. As of last weekend the roads that way are very very good indeed all the way to Madikeri.
Thank you for the guidance Bala. Even I shall be driving during the same weekend. I plan to take the following route. Hope this is the best one can take.

Bangalore- Bidadi- Maddur- Mandya- Periyapatna- Kushalnagar- Madikere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Hey Kiran,

Go ahead and enjoy the drive. As everyone in the forum has mentioned, it is a nice stretch of road except for half a KM before Ilvala which is not a big deal. You can stop over at any of the good places - Kamat, Kadambam, Shivalli or Adigas - on the way for Breakfast and reach Madikeri comfortably for lunch. Happy driving
Dear Fauji, if you can please let us know where do these restaurants fall, it would help me plan my breaks accordingly
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 13:53   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is the best route to take as of the current moment in time.
Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Bangalore- Bidadi- Maddur- Mandya- Periyapatna- Kushalnagar- Madikere
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 14:04   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Dear Fauji, if you can please let us know where do these restaurants fall, it would help me plan my breaks accordingly
There are numerous restuarants on the way. If you are leaving early morning you can have BF at either of the following places and reach Madikeri for Lunch.

a) Kamat Loka Ruchi @ Ramanagaram next to Janapad Loka
b) Kadambam or Shivalli Tiffin room between Channapatna and Maddur
c) Adigas or Maddur Tiffanys at Maddur

Beyond Srirangapatna, good place to eat will be in "Vasavi" in Piriyapatna
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 14:26   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

You might also want to consider the IndraDhanush restaurant on the right side behind Cafe Coffee Day and KFC. This is while going from Bangalore.

Quote:
There are numerous restuarants on the way. If you are leaving early morning you can have BF at either of the following places and reach Madikeri for Lunch.

a) Kamat Loka Ruchi @ Ramanagaram next to Janapad Loka
b) Kadambam or Shivalli Tiffin room between Channapatna and Maddur
c) Adigas or Maddur Tiffanys at Maddur

shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 14:32   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+ Cafe Coorg - Hunsur is good
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 17:08   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Planning to do a trip to Kabbinakad junction near Coorg this weekend. Can some one advice me on which route would be better ? Taking my Esteem there so really pathetic roads is a no-no.

Route -1
Bangalore – Srirangapatna - Hunsur road - Virajpet.
From Virajpet travel on Madikeri road for 4 kms . After crossing small
bridge at Kaddanur- turn left and travel 19kms to Kabbinakad
junction.

or

Route -2
Bangalore – Srirangapatna -Srirangapatna- Hunsur road -Madikeri.
From madikeri take the Mangalore road and travel 4 kms and
turn left to the Bhagamandla road. At a place called Bettageri turn
left to Napoklu. From Napoklu travel to kabbinakad junction.
I suggest the first Route: Roads are bad from Hunsur bypass Upto Gonikoppal and even from kadanur to Kabbinakad. It may take more time and try to reach before it becomes very dark
Suresh
Suresh Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 17:32   #220
Senior - BHPian

Just did a round trip via the Hunsur road from Bangalore to Coorg. Exceptional roads all the way through until you just enter Coorg. Route would be:

Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur road (go via the city - the by pass road is BAD) - Kushal nagar - Coorg/Madikeri. Roads from Madikeri to Kakkabe are non existent. 35 odd kms will take you 2 hours.

My only grouse was I couldnt find a good place to eat vegetarian at the Tibetan monastery area in Kushal Nagar. Any feedback or reviews from anyone here? The momos at Hotel Tibet adjacent to the Golden temple was PATHETIC. And the other restaurant next to it was a biriyani place.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 17:59   #221
BHPian

Just a small update, route from Hunsur to Virajpet Via Gonikoppa is in tatters! A bone breaking journey. At least felt that in my Esteem. Other cars might not feel the strain. While coming back i took the route from Bagmandla road to Madikeri (again bad) But after reaching Madikeri road upto Hunsur was a dream.

The road just after Madikeri town upto Periyapatna and on is just a blast to drive. An absolute drivers delight!

Last edited by redrage : 17th January 2012 at 18:01.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 11:37   #222
BHPian

Default Re: Information on Coorg route : Update from Jan 26 2012

I finally made the Coorg trip towards end of last month and many thanks to all who provided insights into the best route to be taken.

Bigzero's update on the road from Hiriyur was the most recent and I followed that route.

Day 1 Route : Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Chitradurg (all NH4).
We had planned on taking Devi's darshan at Kolhapur, hence the decision to make an overnight halt at Chitradurg. There are lots of posts related to NH4 condition and nothing new that I can add. Fantastic road quality especially after one crosses the border into KA.
Started around 8 from Pune, reached Chitradurg around 7.

Day 2 Route : Chitradurg-Hiriyur-Huliyar-CrossNH48-Nelligere-Nagamandala-Srirangapattana-Mysore/Madikeri Highway.
We started around 8 and reached our resort around 4 with leisure drive and halts. The road condition after leaving NH4 is ok and max speed that one can sustain is around 80. Can go upto 100-110 at times. we took couple of wrong turns at the small intervening towns but no major time lost. It helps to keep asking directions for next big town rather than the end destination. The road from Srirangapattana to where it joins Mysore Madikeri highway (at Elivala) is in bad shape, it might be better to go to MYS to join the highway.

Edit: Halted at hotel Naveen Regency at Chitradurg. It's right on the highway on RHS if one is going towards Bangalore. One has to take service road to cross over. A very nice place to stay, with restaurant (Veg/Non-Veg/Bar) so you do not have to venture out for meals. They also have a separate veg breakfast hotel for mornings. Deluxe Non-A/C room was approx 1100. Highly recommended.

Last edited by mmxylorider : 13th February 2012 at 11:53.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 11:50   #223
BHPian

Coorg to Pune

After 3 days of enjoying what Madikeri is all about, I was bit adventurous and decided to make the return journey via Mangalore-NH17-Karwar-Hubli-Nh4-Pune. It was not a good decision

Madikeri-Mangalore : This is under 150 kms and took us 3.5 hrs. The road is being widened and at stretches only one side traffic can pass through. Got stuck at one such place for 20 mins. The road condition is very good at some places and non-existent at others. A vehicle with good GC is must for taking this road. If one leaves Madikeri before 6, this stretch is do-able in under 3 hours. The route is very scenic and we did get to see a different face of KA.
Mangalore -Udipi : Crowded road and this is where I started exploring alternatives to leaving this road. Knowing NH4, i wanted to take the fastest way to reach NH4 and decided to exit at Udipi.
Udipi-Shimoga : Road condition gets 6 on scale of 10. Lot of local traffic and a huge ghat (Agumbe) on the way. I don't think I would have got to know of this ghat if I had not taken this route.
Shimoga-Harihar (NH4) - Fantastic straight road. One of the better roads that I have recently travelled on.
Harihar - Pune : NH4, fantastic ride till MH border and then the heavy traffic starts increasing.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:40   #224
BHPian

I did a Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Bangalore trip during the 18th-20th February weekend.
The route we took was Bangalore (Indiranagar) - NICE Rd - SH17 - Mysore (visited the Zoo) - SH88,Hunsur - Kushalanagar - Madikeri. On the return journey we took the Mysore Outer Ring Rd from SH88 to SH17.

The journey times were:
  • Started at 5.30am from Indiranagar. Had breakfast at Kamat Loka Ruchi (6.30am-7.05am). Reached Mysore Columbiasia Ring Rd junction at 8.15am
  • Left Mysore city at 11.15am. Had lunch at Café Coorg, Hunsur (12.15pm-1.00pm). Reached Madikeri at 2.20pm
  • For the return journey to Bangalore, we left Madikeri at 11.05am and reached our home in Bangalore at 5.10pm, with a 45min lunch break at Café Coorg again.
The overall road conditions were between good and amazing, all the way to Madikeri. The only bad patches were:
  • Piriyapatna town, where road widening and general maintenance work is going on along the road’s shoulders
  • Mysore Outer Ring Road, which is being converted to four-lane
  • Madikeri town entrance till Madikeri Fort, where the roads look like the lunar surface. However, they are being widened and re-laid.

Watch out for a few unmarked speed-bumps before and after Bylakuppe. Otherwise, the drive to Madikeri is quite entertaining!
Miel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:03   #225
BHPian

just did blore-madikeri over the weekend

0515 start - 0700 breakfast for 20 mins - 0830 mysore ring road - 1000 golden temple, bylakuppe.
- mysore ring road is a mess with lots of construction going on
- periyapatna, ironically has a 'chinna' road running through it, easy to get caught up in a traffic jam
- otherwise the Sh88 from mysore is a wonderful drive with good surface.

bylakuppe-kushalnagar-dubare-chettali-madikeri
- the 10 km stretch on SH91 (left turn a few kms after kushalnagar) is generally bad surface; watch out for indifferent villagers who dont even take a cursory glance at the road before ambling across the road.
- the 1km final inner stretch from SH91 to the elephant camp is HORRIBLE beyond redemption, and you have to part with a parking fee of 15 too. Dubare at this time was maddeningly crowded, lots of plastic, no water, no elephants, but i saw some 200 vehicles parked in the tiny space on the banks (none of them were leaving, more were coming in), donno what so may people were doing there for so long, decided to call it quits in 10 minutes.
- the road via chettali to madikeri is marked with occasional potholes, but doable.

next day,
0830-start from madikeri-0930 thalacauvery
- the stretch is beautiful scenery but 40-60 bad/good road surface, some of the stretches are delightful, some are horrible. However, the place is worth driving 1 hour to. Unfortunately, I discovered a dent near my rear door handle when I came to my parked car; it was obviously from that dhinchak-disco-lighted-garishly-costumed indica cab which I had parked next to (waiting to lay my hands on him )
- return to madikeri by 1130

return home same day afternoon
1300-start-1830 HSR (via NICE)
- the start of the SH88 road from madikeri is worse than the lunar surface, with big, loose stones strewn over the road & huge puffs of dust
- however, the road turns from beast into a beauty after you cross the cariappa circle, this stretch of 30 kms all the way till kushalnagar has been newly relaid & it is one of the best single-laned undivided roads (with proper yellow/dotted white markings et al) that I have driven on. A drivers dream (I can imagine what people with 3-series bimmers will be doing here )
- kushalnagar to elivala was uneventful smooth roads with 'periya'patna in between.
- the next stretch is where I made a big mistake : greedy to avoid the mysore ring road, I took the road from elivala to srirangapatna - this road has scarce traffic, but surface is really horrible (you need an SUV to go at 50-60 speeds); the ordeal continued all the way till srirangaptna without even 1km of continuous good surface.
- srirangapatna to blore - joined the maddening crowd racing each other (to prove what ? to gloat 'arre yaar, maine toh 1.5 ghante ke antar peak traffic mein mysore seh yahaan tak aaya' ? ) on SH17, many of them just dont seem to know that there is indeed a pedal next to the accelerator, which can also bear the weight of your foot.

overall, just dont take the srirangapatna deviation to join the hunsur road, take the mysore ring road instead ; its better to battle occasional bad stretches (however bad they may be) for a short duration that an evenly bad stretch for a long duration.
The kushalnagar-madikeri stretch is a wonderful memory from this trip, worth driving again to.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote