Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2014, 15:18   #316
BHPian
 
jesrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 237
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Hi everyone. We are 2 couples planning to fly to Bangalore and go to Coorg for 4 nights in December, stay at Club Mahindra in Madikeri. I am thinking of taking a Zoom self-drive cab. Please let me know the route and the road conditions. It is worth a self-drive. I regularly drive on highway, 150+150 kms every week, to and fro. Don't mind driving 300kms as long as it is a pleasure to drive. Please advice.

Last edited by jesrani : 8th October 2014 at 15:19.
jesrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 15:56   #317
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 485
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Hi everyone. We are 2 couples planning to fly to Bangalore and go to Coorg for 4 nights in December, stay at Club Mahindra in Madikeri. I am thinking of taking a Zoom self-drive cab. Please let me know the route and the road conditions. It is worth a self-drive. I regularly drive on highway, 150+150 kms every week, to and fro. Don't mind driving 300kms as long as it is a pleasure to drive. Please advice.
Yes it is worth a drive!
The route is pretty straight forward as you can read in this thread.

If you plan on renting from Zoom at the airport, this is the route to follow:

BLR Airport->Exit towards Bangalore City->Turn Right at Hebbal Junction in ORR->Turn right into Tumkur Road->Enter NICE Road->Exit at Mysore Road->Turn Right at Mysore ORR(Columbia Asia Hospital Junction)->Enter Hunsur /Madikeri Road->Madikeri.

Club Mahindra has directions posted to their property once you enter Madikeri town.

Good roads throughout.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 16:12   #318
BHPian
 
jesrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 237
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Yes it is worth a drive!
The route is pretty straight forward as you can read in this thread.

If you plan on renting from Zoom at the airport, this is the route to follow:

BLR Airport->Exit towards Bangalore City->Turn Right at Hebbal Junction in ORR->Turn right into Tumkur Road->Enter NICE Road->Exit at Mysore Road->Turn Right at Mysore ORR(Columbia Asia Hospital Junction)->Enter Hunsur /Madikeri Road->Madikeri.

Club Mahindra has directions posted to their property once you enter Madikeri town.

Good roads throughout.
How much time does it take to reach Coorg from Bangalore? Are there speed restrictions on Zoom cars?
jesrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 16:24   #319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 278
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
How much time does it take to reach Coorg from Bangalore? Are there speed restrictions on Zoom cars?
Between 5-6 hours for a relaxed drive. In fact, I slow down whenever I drive to Coorg because the drive gets over soon. Roads are good throughout.

Try Virajapet resort for a more modern setting. Madikeri resort is set in total jungle, fantastic as well. Carry your own tipple, as the resort bar is closed due to license issues (Dont want to encourage alchoholism, but just mentioned this as a matter of fact).

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
BLR Airport->Exit towards Bangalore City->Turn Right at Hebbal Junction in ORR->Turn right into Tumkur Road->Enter NICE Road->Exit at Mysore Road->Turn Right at Mysore ORR(Columbia Asia Hospital Junction)->Enter Hunsur /Madikeri Road->Madikeri.
luvurride's directions are perfect, and the most important step is to 'Turn Right at Mysore ORR(Columbia Asia Hospital Junction)'. There is a reason why he has mentioned this. The reason is, GPS' maps may try to direct you through a 'shortcut' at SriRangapattana. Ignore it, and just persist on the state highway until you hit Columbia Asia junCtion, and turn right, and then follow GPS.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 8th October 2014 at 16:31.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 17:35   #320
BHPian
 
jesrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 237
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Between 5-6 hours for a relaxed drive. In fact, I slow down whenever I drive to Coorg because the drive gets over soon. Roads are good throughout.

Try Virajapet resort for a more modern setting. Madikeri resort is set in total jungle, fantastic as well. Carry your own tipple, as the resort bar is closed due to license issues (Dont want to encourage alchoholism, but just mentioned this as a matter of fact).



luvurride's directions are perfect, and the most important step is to 'Turn Right at Mysore ORR(Columbia Asia Hospital Junction)'. There is a reason why he has mentioned this. The reason is, GPS' maps may try to direct you through a 'shortcut' at SriRangapattana. Ignore it, and just persist on the state highway until you hit Columbia Asia junCtion, and turn right, and then follow GPS.
Well I am a teetotaler but my friend will definitely be interested in your advice

Thanks for the route advice, will keep it in mind.
jesrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 19:49   #321
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 665
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post

luvurride's directions are perfect, and the most important step is to 'Turn Right at Mysore ORR(Columbia Asia Hospital Junction)'. There is a reason why he has mentioned this. The reason is, GPS' maps may try to direct you through a 'shortcut' at SriRangapattana. Ignore it, and just persist on the state highway until you hit Columbia Asia junCtion, and turn right, and then follow GPS.
Taking the SriRangapattana - Eliwala route is not a bad decision. I used to take this as its shorter by 8-10km, scenic, no traffic, and very less road humps. The only issue is a railway cross at the begining. The ORR is not fully done and there are deviations + numerous road humps. Some of them are really huge.

The SriRangapattana - Eliwala route is little rough and recently some patch work has done. I have taken this route last week.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 19:24   #322
BHPian
 
jesrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 237
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Taking the SriRangapattana - Eliwala route is not a bad decision. I used to take this as its shorter by 8-10km, scenic, no traffic, and very less road humps. The only issue is a railway cross at the begining. The ORR is not fully done and there are deviations + numerous road humps. Some of them are really huge.

The SriRangapattana - Eliwala route is little rough and recently some patch work has done. I have taken this route last week.
What are the areas around Coorg worth visiting?
jesrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 21:46   #323
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 665
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
What are the areas around Coorg worth visiting?
I may not be the right person to answer this. Though I have crossed Coorg district numerous times, I hardly stops anywhere for sight seeing.
I think the main places of interests are Golden Temple @ Bylakuppe, Dubare Elephant camp, Raja Seat, Talacauvery (place that is generally considered to be the source of the river Kaveri), Irupu falls etc.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 14:48   #324
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Madikeri-Nagarahole: Most scenic route

Hi,

I wanted to know the most scenic route from Madikeri-Nagarahole. Its a trip on Bullet, so I'm not looking at the best route, but the one that is more scenic. I see 2-3 options:
1.Madikeri-Virajpete-Gonikoppa-Nagarahole
2.Madikeri-Ammathi-Gonikoppa-Nagarahole
3.Madikeri-Siddapura-Gonikoppa-Nagarahole

Also, how is the road condition from Nagarahole-Hunasuru?

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 15:36   #325
Newbie
 
Pakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
What are the areas around Coorg worth visiting?
Within Coorg:
Abbi Falls
Raja Seat
Omkareshwara Temple
Bhagamandala sangama
Talacauvery
Thadiyendamol Peak
Chelavara Falls

Around Coorg:
Bylakuppe Golden temple +Tibetan settlement
Dubare Elephant camp
Nisargadhama
Pakman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 15:51   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default Re: Madikeri-Nagarahole: Most scenic route

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
1.Madikeri-Virajpete-Gonikoppa-Nagarahole
2.Madikeri-Ammathi-Gonikoppa-Nagarahole
3.Madikeri-Siddapura-Gonikoppa-Nagarahole
Madikeri - Virajpet and Madikeri - Siddapura is almost similar scenary wise, I too have done the same route in bullet couple of years back. However I have not gone towards Gonikoppa hence can not comment on road conditions there.

Also, where in Nagarhole are you headed to, since safari entry is around here I guess. So riding via Hunsur side may be easier.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 15:59   #327
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Madikeri-Nagarahole: Most scenic route

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Madikeri - Virajpet and Madikeri - Siddapura is almost similar scenary wise, I too have done the same route in bullet couple of years back. However I have not gone towards Gonikoppa hence can not comment on road conditions there.

Also, where in Nagarhole are you headed to, since safari entry is around here I guess. So riding via Hunsur side may be easier.
Thanks. Isn't the point you mentioned is on Manathawadi-Mysore Road? The safari close to this point would be the one in Kabini lodges, is my guess. Anyways, I'd be on a long ride, so no safaris etc., After entering Nagarahole from Coorg, I'll proceed to Hunasur, but on the other one.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 16:09   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default Re: Madikeri-Nagarahole: Most scenic route

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Thanks. Isn't the point you mentioned is on Manathawadi-Mysore Road? The safari close to this point would be the one in Kabini lodges, is my guess.
Yes, that is while coming on Manthawadi - Mysore road. I have mentioned the approximate location based on sigh boards there, I am not able to recollect the exact safari start point since it was few years back.

Jungle lodges safari is on another side. They take you inside the forest around here . In satellite view you can see a high tension cable cutting across forest in this area, the jeep safari of Jungle lodges is along this cable.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 22:46   #329
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 485
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

I had a dash to Coorg last weekend. Tried both routes - through Mysore/Hunsur on the way and ChannarayaPatna/Kunigal/Nelamangala on the return.

Onward took about 6.30 hours from Whitefield with final destination being Ammathi. Started@3.30pm and reached by 10pm with few sporadic stops totalling to 30 mins.

Return took the same time of 6.30 hours from Ammathi to Thanisandra. Add about 30 more mins to reach Whitefield. There were stops of about 45 mins in between.

The Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsanthe-Arakalgud-CPatna is fabulous now with negligible traffic.

So it makes sense to take this route if your origin is North Bangalore. If it is South, better to stick to Mysore road.

Frankly, for sheer driving pleasure, I loved the CPatna route with the innumerous speed bumps spoiling it all the way till Madikeri in the Mysore route.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 23:21   #330
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default Re: Information on Coorg route

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
The Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsanthe-Arakalgud-CPatna is fabulous now with negligible traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
At Holenarasipura turn right, cross the railway track and then your're on the moon/mars for 2Km only mud and gravel bumpy ride till the Government Polytechnic. From here the surface magically improves.


NPV looks like you missed some road section. Contrasting views here.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue Twinn Travelogues 18 28th June 2016 21:01
Delhi to BITS Pilani Route Information Needed TSEA Route / Travel Queries 17 6th November 2015 11:40
Bangalore-Ooty-Munnar route and other information snaronikar Route / Travel Queries 63 3rd November 2011 14:31
Swine Flu Information - Important Information in post#102 on Page 7 loving_alaap Shifting gears 206 25th August 2009 14:02
Route information required: Bangalore - Chennai airport - Kalahasti ma_nu_t Route / Travel Queries 10 12th March 2008 15:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:21.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks