Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 31st December 2009, 14:27   #91
BHPian

I went in the civic late sep. Took the kushalnagar-> dubare -> madikeri route. No issues. Roads are great.
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 12:00   #92
BHPian

Thanks folks - let me try the Kushalnagar - Dubare - Madikeri route - and report out the status, once I'm back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I went in the civic late sep. Took the kushalnagar-> dubare -> madikeri route. No issues. Roads are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Take Kushal Nagar Dubare madikere route. Ask near Kushal Nagar Bus stand for the route info.
Road conditions are good
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

EDIT: @Tempelhof, hope the above helps you. The indica we were travelling in was scraping some crude road humps made of mud and stones from Kushalnagar to Madikeri. This was in Sept-Oct 09. Not sure of the recent conditions of this road.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 19:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

last week's news - dont take the kushalnagar-suntikoppa-madikeri route - it is miserable.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 00:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitingunjan View Post
Hi, we just returned from a trip to Plantation Trails and I must say we did not get great advice considering I was traveling with a pregnant wife. Here is my advice if you are traveling with a pregnant wife:
- Avoid the shortcut via the KRS dam since the road in below average with a good number of bad patches that will make you and your wife nervous
- AVOID the shorter Virajpet route. Infact, this was the most horrifying experience for me personally. The road for most part was very bad and the road after Tithimathi crossing towards Pollibetta was completely non-motorable. Suggest you take the longer (40 KM longer) route via Kushalnagar - Dubare - Sidapur - Polibetta
Have a safe trip!!
Thank you Nitin! I knew about the KRS shortcut. So went by Mysore to Hunsur. This road was awesome till the left turn towards Gonicopal. From the turn - till Thithimathi the road was ok with occasional bad stretches. 6 Kms from thithimathi to Pollibetta was horrendous.

I took the Kushalnagar route on the way back. Pollibetta to Kushalnagar was not bad compared to the other route barring a few potholes. After crossing Kushalnagar, the road was good all the way till Mysore.
thegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 12:59   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Thanks folks - let me try the Kushalnagar - Dubare - Madikeri route - and report out the status, once I'm back.
I took the Kushalnagar - Dubare - Chetauli - Madikeri route. Good enough with occasional potholes. Beware of sharp turns, blind curves and oncoming speeding local vehicles (who know the route too well).

The Kushalnagar - Suntikoppa - Madikeri road is under construction - at some places it has over 8 ft ditches on the sides (without any fence) - better avoid till it is fully done.

This was the status as of January 10th, 2010.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 04:38   #96
BHPian

Hi

I will be travelling to coorg this month end, from bangalore to mysore then till hunsur, I am clear, as I am going to stay in hudgeri post, so need to take left I suppose after hunsur, how is the road condition from hunsur to hudigeri
raka1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 03:29   #97
BHPian

I completed my Bangalore to Coorg trip, just want to share that road condition is excellent till hunsur then take left to enter the nagarhole forest route, road is fine but dont zip... stayed near Irrupu falls, dont risk to drive to Tirunelli temple from there, the road condition is worst till both karnataka and kerala checkpost....
raka1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 16:54   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
I took the Kushalnagar - Dubare - Chetauli - Madikeri route. Good enough with occasional potholes. Beware of sharp turns, blind curves and oncoming speeding local vehicles (who know the route too well).

This was the status as of January 10th, 2010.
I had a question on a possible route to Bhgamandala from Dubare. Since the Dubare - Chetauli - Madikeri route seems to approach Madikeri from the southwest, is there a deviation possible that provides a faster route to Bhagamandala?

While at this, is there any alternate route for the Madikeri - Kukke - Subramanya road? There was news about a route from Somvarpet to Kukke. Did this get finished? I obtained a map from the Karnatka Tourism department and it seems to indicate that the Somvarpet - Kukke route is possible, but I have seen no other references to this route in the travelogues.

By the way, the entire trip plan is:

Day 1: Bangalore - Melukote - Dubare - Bhagamandala

Day 3: Bhagamandala - Kukke - Dharmastala

Day 4: Dharmastala - Srungeri

Day 5: Srungeri - Horanadu - Kemmanagundi

Day 7: Kemmanagundi - Belur

Day 9: Belur - Bangalore

Thanks to BHPians, I have a ton of information on the Kukke - Srungeri - Kemmanagundi area.

Driving on....
srsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 10:28   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsrini View Post
While at this, is there any alternate route for the Madikeri - Kukke - Subramanya road? There was news about a route from Somvarpet to Kukke. Did this get finished? I obtained a map from the Karnatka Tourism department and it seems to indicate that the Somvarpet - Kukke route is possible, but I have seen no other references to this route in the travelogues.....
No, the Somwarpet-Kukke road through Pushpagiri is not done yet. You will have to go to Sulya and then to Kukke. There is one more route via Bisle ghat, but am not sure of the road conditions or directions.

btw, where exactly did you get the maps from?
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 16:27   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

btw, where exactly did you get the maps from?
Thanks for the information.

I got a printed tourist map from the KSTDC office.

Driving on...
Old 29th March 2010, 22:24   #101
BHPian

Quote:
There is one more route via Bisle ghat, but am not sure of the road conditions or directions.
The road via Bisle ghat is in bad condition, but still doable if one has to.
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 12:20   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I- Chetauli - Madikeri
It is Chetalli

Quote:

Day 4: Dharmastala - Srungeri

Day 5: Srungeri - Horanadu - Kemmanagundi

You can alter your plan if Sringeri is not your first priority. The above route is pretty much a detour.
You can follow below mentioned
1. Dharmasthala - Ujire-Charmadi - Kottigehara - Javali - Kalasa-Hornadu(Route is fantastic all the way till Hornadu)
Hornadu-Balehole-Jayapura-Sringeri (some stretch between Balehole-Jayapura, say 5kms is in Bad shape, though patch work is going on)
The above route has loads of curves.
2. Dharmasthala-Ujire-Guruvayankere-Naravi-Bajagoli-SK border(before Kudremukha)-Sringeri
Route between SK border - Sringeri is in bad shape

1. Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-Joldal-Muthodi-Kemmanugundi (muthodi-Kemmanugundi stretch is not in good condition)
2. Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur-Lingadally-Kemmanugundi
3. Sringeri -Hariharpura-NR pura -Kemmannugundi (Don't have much info on this road)
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 12:44   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

1. Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-Joldal-Muthodi-Kemmanugundi (muthodi-Kemmanugundi stretch is not in good condition)
2. Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur-Lingadally-Kemmanugundi
3. Sringeri -Hariharpura-NR pura -Kemmannugundi (Don't have much info on this road)
Muthodi-Kemmannugundi stretch is bad and also very narrow. at places It does not even have space for two vehicles to pass each other. But, it is a very good drive. You'll be driving so slow that you can actually enjoy the views and not feel the potholes
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 10:04   #104

Quote:
I had a question on a possible route to Bhgamandala from Dubare. Since the Dubare - Chetauli - Madikeri route seems to approach Madikeri from the southwest, is there a deviation possible that provides a faster route to Bhagamandala?
I did find out, after reaching Bhagamandala, that there is indeed a route from Dubare via Napoklu that skips Madikeri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
You can alter your plan if Sringeri is not your first priority. The above route is pretty much a detour.
You can follow below mentioned
1. Dharmasthala - Ujire-Charmadi - Kottigehara - Javali - Kalasa-Hornadu(Route is fantastic all the way till Hornadu)
Hornadu-Balehole-Jayapura-Sringeri (some stretch between Balehole-Jayapura, say 5kms is in Bad shape, though patch work is going on)
The above route has loads of curves.
Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. We followed it and went to Horanadu after Dharmastala. Reached Hoaranadu around noon, had a very satisfying Darshan, lunch and then witnessed the Maha Arathi at 2 PM. Couldn't have been better.

As for Sringeri-Kemmanagundi, about a while after Balehonnur (and 31 km before Aldur), there was a left turn to Muthodi. We took the turn and encountered a jeep driver who convinced us that there is no way to go from Muthodi to Kemmanagundi. So we went on till Aldur. On the way, I convinced my navigator that Team BHP can't be wrong, and we did take the Joldal-Muthodi route. The first turn would have saved 30+ km.

Quote:
Muthodi-Kemmannugundi stretch is bad and also very narrow. at places It does not even have space for two vehicles to pass each other. But, it is a very good drive. You'll be driving so slow that you can actually enjoy the views and not feel the potholes
The Muthodi-Kemmanagundi road was as described - bad and narrow. But the drive was awesome and worth every rattle and shake. Unfortunately, there aren't any signboards from Muthodi - and when you ask directions, 1 out of 2 would try to convince you to head back to Chikmagalur. But we persisted and were rewarded with a great drive - through Bhadra sanctuary, dense coffee estates, changing elevations and tree cover and weather.

We drive an Innova and the clearance helped negotiate the road. Unless you are familiar with the route, this would strictly be a bright daytime route.

Also, if you have time at hand and want to visit BB Hills and Mullaiyanagiri, all you need is a deviation about 12 km after Muthodi.

Driving on....
Old 11th April 2010, 11:48   #105
Senior - BHPian

The road's done upto Suntikoppa - and should get done all the way in at most a month. In fact, two wheelers can carry on straight and except a 5-6km stretch where work's underway - zip on the fresh tarmac laid on one side. The work's happening at a frantic pace, so even more of this stretch might have been done since the last time I was there a little over a week ago.

For cars, Dubare-Chethalli-Madikeri is ok and the route from Suntikoppa via Madapura has better roads and a more scenic route - though its a bit longer and buses come the other way at decent speeds.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote