Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th May 2013, 14:44   #1
BHPian

Default Planning Bhubaneswar to Shirdi

Hi,

We (Me and wife) are planning our first ever road trip, from Bhubaneswar to Shirdi during May end/June first week. I am a newbie driver and this is the first time on a long distance trip, so, prefer driving day time. Our Vento Tdi is barely 2 months old (nearing 2k on odo).

Planning the Route:

Bhubaneswar-Sambalpur-Raipur-Bhilai-Nagpur-Amravati-Aurangabad-Shirdi

Day 1: Bhubaneswar - Sambalpur - Bhilai (604 km). Planning a night halt in Bhilai or Raipur. Please suggest decent/clean hotels.

Day 2: Bhilai - Amravati ( 412 km): I will be starting a touch late from Bhilai (meet), covering Aurangabad is probably difficult (another 300 km), so planning a night halt in Amravati. If I can push, I will go till Aurangabad. Any better options apart from Amravati for night halt ?

Day 3: Amravati - Shirdi (428 km).

While returning, planning a night halt at Nagpur and Sambalpur.

1. I have gone through Sommos thread on Bhilai to Puri (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-holiday.html (A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday)).

2. I have also checked (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ong-drive.html (A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive))

3. Please suggest possible night halts and places for short breaks / restaurants / petrol pumps.

4. Please update on the road conditions, esp. Bhilai to Shirdi route.

5. Another question, what is the cut-off time in the evening for driving, in this entire route (from safety point of view, naxals etc..?). Since, this is the first time on a long drive, I prefer to take less risky options and be conservative.

6. Any other general suggestions / inputs are most welcome.

Thanks and Regards.
stringbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 19:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Planning Bhubaneswar to Shirdi

Hi

I am from Sambalpur. Currently my parents reside in Bhubaneswar but I am working in Bangalore. I cannot update you with the latest road conditions but yes I did travel Sambalpur to Bargarh in Nov '12. The road condition were pretty bad. I guess the same conditions would continue till Raipur due to heavy plying of trucks.

Earlier every year they used to repair the roads after the monsoon, mere patch work though. But last year it wasn't repaired even though monsoon was over.

Thats all from me. Others can help out. Do ask me if have any more queries, will try to answer them if possible.

Also regarding driving time in Naxal areas. Try to cover those areas before 5 when the day is bright, just to be in the safe side. One such place is Jujumura enroute BBSR-SBP(about 40 kms before SBP).

PS: You said you are a newbie driver. Are you sure of going on such a long journey all by yourself(assuming you are the only driver). I would suggest you hire a driver or take your friend/relative who can share the driving with you. Just my thought.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 20:39   #3
rkg
Senior - BHPian

It might be better if Bhubaneswar-vizag-hyderabad-solapur-ahemednagar-shirdi.

Distance would be around 1700 Km 200-250 km more but better and safe roads

Day 1 Bhubaneswar-Vijayawada can be targeted around 800KM most of it is 4 lane GQ. I do not know about GQ status in Orissa but in AP it is complete

Day2 Vijayawada-hyderabad-shirdi around 900 Km is possible. Vijayawada-hyderabad is 4 lane. If it is not possible, night halt can be made either at Solapur or Ahmednagar
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 21:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post

Distance would be around 1700 Km 200-250 km more but better and safe roads

Day 1 Bhubaneswar-Vijayawada can be targeted around 800KM most of it is 4 lane GQ. I do not know about GQ status in Orissa but in AP it is complete
The stretch in Orissa is also complete. The one from Balugaon to Berhampur was notorious for delays in road-widening, but even that part was completed around 6 months ago.

Quote:
Day2 Vijayawada-hyderabad-shirdi around 900 Km is possible. Vijayawada-hyderabad is 4 lane. If it is not possible, night halt can be made either at Solapur or Ahmednagar
Being a newbie driver, I'd suggest a halt in Vizag or Rajamundry on day 1, Hyderabad on day 2 and Shirdi on day 3.

The roads are 4-laned till Hyderabad, ok till Mohol (40 kms after Solapur) and a bit jammed till Temburni from there. After turning right at Temburni, roads are good till about 10 kms before Shirdi.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 23:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Are you sure of going on such a long journey all by yourself
Thanks for the update. I read about the Sambalpur-Bargarh road condition, but, did not know that it
would be bad till Raipur? One can refer to the Sommos post above. If i do the Sambalpur route, then, the plan is to do it with enough day light in hand. As for driving, I guess I am going to find out .

Btw, in approx. how many kms the engine be given breaks, as it is just about run-in period ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Being a newbie driver, I'd suggest a halt in Vizag or Rajamundry on day 1, Hyderabad on day 2 and Shirdi on day 3.
Thanks. That is a nice suggestion (my wife had earlier asked me to keep it as second choice, on safety grounds itself). I just checked the google maps for this route and it is indeed longer. But, the route is obviously well documented; so, might be a better option. Reaching BZA on day 1 is out of equation for me. RJY is better.

Last edited by stringbh : 9th May 2013 at 23:34.
Old 9th May 2013, 23:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Btw, in approx. how many kms the engine be given breaks, as it is just about run-in period ?
If you drive sedately then a 15-20 min break every 100kms should be fine. You also get to stretch out your muscles.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

We (Me and wife) are planning our first ever road trip, from Bhubaneswar to Shirdi during May end/June first week. I am a newbie driver and this is the first time on a long distance trip, so, prefer driving day time. Our Vento Tdi is barely 2 months old (nearing 2k on odo).
Would suggest to first get used to driving on highways by doing 200-300 km trips before embarking on such a long drive.

Last edited by ramanak : 10th May 2013 at 09:13.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 12:23   #8
BHPian

New Car, Newbie & Cross Country drive in india; sounds interesting
As “ramanak” has suggested go for a 200-300km drive.If you feel comfortable then you can start in evening around 5PM from Bhubaneshwar.
Below would be route plan.
Day 1: Bhubaneshwar – Sambalpur: 300 KM: 5 hrs: Start by evening 4-5 PM and Night Stay at Sambalbur.
Day 2: Sambalpur to Amravati: 715 KM: Journey Time: 13 Hrs. All NH6, early morning start would help you to avoid truck traffic and you would face less jams at border crossing. It would take 3-4 hrs to reach Raipur. From Raipur till Bhandara its 4 lane highway with ample restaurants and Fuel stations. You can reach by 9 PM to Amravati. It’s 4 lane highway so drive would be less tiresome but a long one. Take breaks for 10 mins frequently after every 100-150 kms.
Day 3: Amravati to Shirdi: 430 KM: Amravati-Karanja Lad-Mehkar-Sindkhed Raja- Jalna-Aurangabad-Shirdi. Karanja to Jalna is state highway with small villages & town en-route so you have to be careful to take the correct roads. Fewer facilities for fuel and bio breaks. Start early, better fill at Amravati and take breakfast at karanja bypass. You can easily reach shirdi by 5.
As our guru HVK says: Start Early.
shabahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 16:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Hi, Stringbh if you have the confidence to drive solo, then go for it. Remember, there is always a first time moreover you will be moving on NH6 all the way and you'll have plenty of staying options at Sambalpur, Raipur-Bhilai, Nagpur, Amravati. If you feel any problem you can safely break for the night in any of these places.

About the road condition, there is nothing to fear on this route.
1. Bhubaneshwar to Sambalpur on NH42 is fine. Check the alternate route suggested by Julupani in post #15 of my thread.
2. Sambalpur to Bargarh and Saraipalli in CG has the worst roads in this streach. But you can easily cruise @ 45/50 KMPH and don't worry about any damage to your car, the road is not so bad.
3. From Arang-Raipur-Bhilai-Nagpur-Amravati it is fourlane road.
4. Please do not worry about any naxal problem in the streach between Sambalpur to Amravati. I have done Sambalpur to Bhilai and Bhilai to Nagpur at midnight and there is absolutely no issues in this portion.

If you plan to halt at Bhilai I would suggest Hotel Vatsa International or Grand Dhillon, both are just on the NH6.

Please give a PM / send a mail if you need any further information.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 22:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
get used to driving on highways by doing 200-300 km .
Thanks, I already got started on this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
New Car, Newbie & Cross Country drive in india; sounds interesting
It is actually the new car, rest follows !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Day 3: Amravati to Shirdi: 430 KM: Amravati-Karanja Lad-Mehkar-Sindkhed Raja- Jalna-Aurangabad-Shirdi.
Thanks. Just in case, know of any logs for this part? Do you think GPS kit will help. I am of course collecting maps. Hopefully, this part can be sorted out. I agree, Sambalpur-Amravathi done on day 2 would be good, an early start is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
2. Sambalpur to Bargarh and Saraipalli in CG has the worst roads in this streach.
Thanks Sommos, I actually felt little confident only after reading your tvlg, that this route can be done.

Can you pls. elaborate. You mean, broken, badly maintained roads or occasional pot holes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
If you plan to halt at Bhilai I would suggest Hotel Vatsa International or Grand Dhillon, both are just on the NH6.
I do plan a night halt at Bhilai (mostly in return journey). Will check out these hotels. Hopefully, then Bhilai-Bhubaneswar can be accomplished in one day, pretty much in the way you did, starting early.

I am also considering the other route via hyderabad, but, it is longer. Plus point is that the roads for sure will be in much better condition (comparatively) and is more frequently traveled (many bhpians who have done hyd-shirdi i think).
Old 11th May 2013, 13:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sommos, I actually felt little confident only after reading your tvlg, that this route can be done.

Can you pls. elaborate. You mean, broken, badly maintained roads or occasional pot holes?

I do plan a night halt at Bhilai (mostly in return journey). Will check out these hotels. Hopefully, then Bhilai-Bhubaneswar can be accomplished in one day, pretty much in the way you did, starting early.

I am also considering the other route via hyderabad, but, it is longer. Plus point is that the roads for sure will be in much better condition (comparatively) and is more frequently traveled (many bhpians who have done hyd-shirdi i think).
As you said the Hyderabad route would be longer by around 250KM. The roads will be better because you'll take GQ from Bhubaneshwar. But if you are concerned about safety, I can assure you that there is no issue on this route also.

From Sambalpur to OD border the road is being converted to four lane and there are a lot of diversions due to the ongoing work. Portions where the freshly laid tarmac is being used is smooth but portions where the existing road is being used, is a bit rough and bumpy. From Sambalpur to Attabira (27/28 KM) the existing road is being used which has a lot of patch works. That will make the journey bumpy and you need to cross the streach in a sedate way.

From the OD-CG border check post at Luhurachati to Saraipalli, again a streach of about 26/27 KM the road has similar patch works. Here you'll find a patch of 300-400Mtrs. which is in bad shape.

Roughly Bhubaneshwar-Sambalpur should take 5 hours, Sambalpur-Bhilai should take another 5 hours, Bhilai-Nagpur should take 4 hours (max), Nagpur-Amravati should take 2.5 hours.

Give me a mail when you finalise your dates and if you need any sort of help please feel free to ask me.
Old 11th May 2013, 13:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its mostly broken roads but some very big pot holes scattered here and there. Do keep a look out. I travelled in a SX4(SUVish sedan) but still felt the roads were horrible.

AFA staying in Sambalpur is concerned, you can try Hotel Sheela towers and Harjit International. Its within the city enroute Bargarh route.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 15:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Its mostly broken roads but some very big pot holes scattered here and there. Do keep a look out. I travelled in a SX4(SUVish sedan) but still felt the roads were horrible.
Ashis, I have travelled on this route (bhilai-Raipur-Sambalpur-Puri) in March'13, and the roads were not as you have mentioned.

Do you really have the latest information?
Old 11th May 2013, 16:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Sommos I travelled in Dec '12 last. I just guessed it would be the same since I have lived in Sambalpur for 18 years and had travelled regularly in that route during that time.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Sommos I travelled in Dec '12 last. I just guessed it would be the same since I have lived in Sambalpur for 18 years and had travelled regularly in that route during that time.
The Govt. of Chhattisgarh had organised "Sirpur Music & Dance festival" in Jan 2013. It is somewhat in line with the "Konark Dance festival". A lot of renouned artists participated in the festival and to facilitate movement of public and VIP's the road between Arang to Saraipalli was repaired in december'12. The road is still is good shape except for one particular portion of 300/400mtrs.
Sommos is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote