Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th June 2013, 13:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Road trip to the "Heart of Incredible India". Madhya Pradesh Queries

My family is thinking about a longish road trip visiting various in Madhya Pradesh. The trip is in a very nascent planning stage. We will be travelling by car from Bhubaneswar, and spending anywhere between 1 to 2 weeks in MP sometime in October or November.

At present, the following places to visit have been shortlisted, though it is open to amendment. Final call can only be taken once time available for the trip is finalised. So please make suggestions regarding places that one should visit or not visit and also how much time should one spend at these places.

1. Khajuraho: 2-3 nights including Panna NP
2. Panna NP
3. Orchha: 1 night
4. Gwalior: 1-2 night
5. Bhopal (including surrounding places): 2-3 nights
6. Panchmarhi: 1night
7. Pench NP: 1night

From the above list Khajuraho, Orchha, Bhopal and any one national park is the minimum we are looking at. Depending on time available, we may skip or even add places to visit.

Now comes the question of route queries. Possible vehicles that may do the duty will be one among a Punto, Fiesta Classic and an Innova. There will be 4 people travelling, including my parents. For all of us the first choice is the Punto, 2nd Fiesta and last safe option is the Innova. The Punto is a '09 model with its long stout low nose, which can be a risk if the roads are extremely bad. So would like to know the road conditions to take the best vehicle for the trip. Also among limitations, daily trip time has to be limited to about 11-12 hours, though it can be stretched to about 14 if it is really necessary.

I think going to MP is best via Raipur, which becomes a comfortable overnight halt. But in MP I am a bit confused regarding sticking to national highways, or going on to some state highways as I have heard MP has some really good ones.

As of now, the first stop is sure to be Khajuraho. After getting to Raipur from Bhubaneswar on day 1, I am confused regarding what route to take to Khajuraho. The options are:

1. Raipur-Simga-Jabalpur-Katni-Amanganj-Panna-Khajuraho : This seems like the shortest route. But how are the roads in this route??

2. Raipur-Simga-Jabalpur-Damoh-Hirapur-Chattarpur-Khajuraho : Again how are the roads. The Jabalpur-Damoh state highways seems to be very good, but the rest is a mystery.

3. Raipur-Nagpur-Sagar-Chattarpur-Khajuraho : Safe option as roads upto Sagar will be pretty good but also a long distance option. Will probably need to get to Nagpur from Bhubaneswar at a stretch, by leaving Bhubaneswar very early in the morning.

Similarly, other queries regarding the route are:

1. How are road conditions between Khajuraho and Orchha??

2. What are the latest updates on progress of North-South Corridor between Nagpur and Gwalior. NHAI website shows some incomplete sections, one especially long section between Jhansi and Gwalior.

3. Best route between Sagar and Bhopal, as there seems to be one state highway and one national highway.

4. Roads conditions from Bhopal to Panchmarhi, and Panchmarhi to Seoni??
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 19:13   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Road trip to the "Heart of Incredible India". Madhya Pradesh Queries

Hi Julupani,

I was in MP recently between Bhopal and Indore twice, highways at that section as well as the state ones are decent,drive at times they are single lane only but the tarmac is good.

from Bhopal to pachmarhi roads conditions are decent, you may want to include sanchi in between since its just 70 Kms from Bhopal, do not miss the lake at Bhopal.

In case you are ok to cut short your visit at bhopal by 1 day you may want to make a day trip either to Ujjain or indore, ujjain will become a religious kind of sojourn and Indore can be mixed with family outing as well as shopping.

Indore -bhopal is doable in 1- 2 days 200 kms one way with good roads, including 1/2 day at ujjain.

wrt other places , no inputs. :-(

reach out in case you need anything specific on the bhopal/indore/ujjain corridor
iamwhatiam_okay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 09:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Road trip to the "Heart of Incredible India". Madhya Pradesh Queries

In a few days time, I plan to visit:
1. Kanha from Nagpur
2. Pachmarhi from Nagpur

Do I take the usual routes (e.g. Nagpur - Seoni - Kanha, Nagpur - Chhindwara - Pachmarhi) or should I look at alternate routes to reach faster?
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 14:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
My family is thinking about a longish road trip visiting various in Madhya Pradesh. The trip is in a very nascent planning stage. We will be travelling by car from Bhubaneswar, and spending anywhere between 1 to 2 weeks in MP sometime in October or November.

The options are:

1. Raipur-Simga-Jabalpur-Katni-Amanganj-Panna-Khajuraho : This seems like the shortest route. But how are the roads in this route??

2. Raipur-Simga-Jabalpur-Damoh-Hirapur-Chattarpur-Khajuraho : Again how are the roads. The Jabalpur-Damoh state highways seems to be very good, but the rest is a mystery.
The first option that you have chosen will pass through the Kanha NP. The road is in bad condition from around Kawardha to Mandla, this is the portion around the Kanha forest. After the prolonged monsoon I don't think that roads will be repaired anytime before Dec'13.

I think a much better option would be to proceed via Amarkantak. You can break at Amarkantak if you like and proceed via Shahdol-Umaria-Katni.

I would suggest you take the Innova as your ride.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote